Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

snailshell
Aug 26, 2010

I LOVE BIG WET CROROCDILE PUSSYT

Thoughts? I'm currently running High Sierra (10.13.6) and trying to upgrade to Mojave only so I don't lose access to my 32-bit apps. However, using any of the links from this page opens the app store and redirects me to the front page with no download in sight, except when I use the link to Big Sur. Also, at this page, there's no update for straight Mojave (10.14), only updates to 10.14.1, which has a system requirement of 10.14, lmao.

I have not done any updates through the app store in years because, despite using Apple products, I hate them and I hate their philosophy of "gently caress up the good and useful features and give you a bunch of lovely features no one cares about." Does Big Sur suck as much rear end as I have read? Is it worth it to abandon the 32-bit apps I use? And what the f*** is going on with my app store?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snailshell
Aug 26, 2010

Thanks all for the advice, I updated to Big Sur and found replacements/updates for some of the 32-bit apps I was reluctant to let go of (I had already found the system report and had a huge quantity of 32-bit stuff, which is why I didn't want to update lol). The app store issue completely fixed itself as well. I'm sure its brain had just been fried by my clicking "update tomorrow" for years.

Big Sur does suck rear end and looks like a box of Duplos, but at least you can turn off a majority of the lovely features that you can't in iOS and Spotlight works well again. Such is modern life

snailshell
Aug 26, 2010

If anyone else has trouble creating a new backup after they update their external drive to APFS, the issue is that apparently M1 Macs have this new file format (APFS!) which forbids you to "break the seal" on the system volume and, at least for now, doesn't allow you to make bootable copies on an external drive. The scuttlebutt is that the new format isn't even faster.

Allegedly,

quote:

... it’s time for those of us interested only in being able to restore our Macs, not boot from an external drive, to give up on worrying about having a copy of the system volume on hand at all.

God bless the good people at SuperDuper!, who provide consistently good service even as Apple tries time and time again to gently caress over any non-proprietary or third-party developer. They have a version 3 beta out to create a bootable copy, which I'm using now, and will "soon" be releasing an official update to address the issue.

snailshell
Aug 26, 2010

Binary Badger posted:

APFS was introduced waaaayy back in macOS High Sierra, I dunno where you get that it's 'new'
Prior to updating to Big Sur I hadn't updated since Sierra :shobon: