Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AmbassadorTaxicab
Sep 6, 2010

In Lion, does iChat pick up MSN buddies added to a Yahoo account?

edit: I just want to talk to them!

AmbassadorTaxicab fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Sep 5, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AmbassadorTaxicab
Sep 6, 2010

Google and Apple are being manbabies by blocking the deletion of Google Calendar events in iCal. Google is saying they're doing it deliberately, because iCal was deleting random events and saying it's working with Apple. However, there should be no way that a feature that's worked perfectly before should take this long to fix.

edit: The new VLC 1.2 interface looks really nice. It's finally 1 window.

AmbassadorTaxicab fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Jan 17, 2012

AmbassadorTaxicab
Sep 6, 2010

TACD posted:

I didn't know it was a deliberate thing by Google, is there a link where they say that?

I just searched for it after making the post, and it turns out to have been fixed perhaps within the last few days. It's still up in the CalDAV known issues section of Google Calendar.

AmbassadorTaxicab
Sep 6, 2010

Viktor posted:

Man that was buried away on their site. For anyone else here's the link to the latest pre-release version.

Some features aren't fully implemented. There is an option to enable Lion full screen mode, but it doesn't seem able to crop the black bars of the movie when it's on. It's really annoying, so I've been sticking with the current version of VLC for now.

I can only imagine 1.2 coming out by 2015 at this rate.

AmbassadorTaxicab
Sep 6, 2010

Toady posted:

Keychain Access comes with Password Assistant which can create a unique password. Is this anything like it?

AmbassadorTaxicab
Sep 6, 2010

First annoyance with Messages is that clicking on the dock icon brings up the message window instead of the buddy list. I guess I could use the menulet, but buddies that are away don't show up there.

Demos posted:

Is there any real reason for someone without a iOS-device to use Messages over, for instance, Adium?

You can still use it without having to use the iMessage service.

AmbassadorTaxicab
Sep 6, 2010

Hooray for VLC 2.0! It's still not the "just the player" player that everyone wants, but it does the job.

AmbassadorTaxicab
Sep 6, 2010

You can still uninstall Messages if you installed it in Lion.

AmbassadorTaxicab
Sep 6, 2010

japtor posted:

Yeah Gmail doesn't push with IMAP or CalDAV while MobileMe/iCloud does (and if the latter isn't, then maybe it's set to fetch/manual rather than push).

Gmail does do push IMAP.

quote:

• Go into Mail » Preferences » Accounts (Advanced) and CHECK "Use IDLE command if the server supports it".
  • Go into Mail » Preferences » Accounts (Advanced) and UNCHECK "Include when automatically checking for new messages".
  • Go into Mail » Preferences » General and set "Check for new messages" to "Manually" (unless you have other accounts that do not support IDLE.)

AmbassadorTaxicab
Sep 6, 2010

MOAR posted:

Gamers don't use Macs or Windows XP.

I don't think XP works with newer bootcamp versions anyway. If you really want XP you might be better looking at VMware Fusion, Parallels Desktop, or even Virtualbox, something along these lines.

Boot Camp 4 drivers are needed to deal with Lion's HFS peculiarities. I had Windows 7 installed with Snow Leopard drivers/BC3 that would keep BSODing because the OS X partition was encrypted with File Vault.

It was annoying to have to reinstall.

AmbassadorTaxicab
Sep 6, 2010

Jolan posted:

On a sort of similar note, is it possible to use a USB share on a NAS as a Time Machine destination? (It shows up fine in Finder, I just can't figure out how to point TM towards it.)

If it's a NAS that supports AFP and Time Machine, it would be explicitly stated, and Time Machine prefpane would pick it up.

I was under the impression that I'd be able to do this with an AEBS through Airport Disk. However, it stops working for one reason or another after a while, and it's impossible to get back.

AmbassadorTaxicab
Sep 6, 2010

Fo anybody using VLC, anybody know how zoom in on a video (get rid of the black bars in full screen mode) without it stretching the video? It used to be under 'Crop', but that seems to stretch now.

AmbassadorTaxicab
Sep 6, 2010

Bob Morales posted:

I was going to say, they forgot to update the product description but it's still true :smug:

Too bad Apple got greedy with iOS. Maybe we would have had ZFS on OS X by now.

AmbassadorTaxicab
Sep 6, 2010

Doesn't seem like anything Reader wouldn't do.

AmbassadorTaxicab
Sep 6, 2010

Small White Dragon posted:

The Apple Store has purportedly blacked out the last week for July for employee vacations, which suggests the possibility of Mountain Lion and/or minor hardware updates then.
I am calling new iMacs (usually released August) and maybe iWork and iLife.

AmbassadorTaxicab
Sep 6, 2010

amishpurple posted:

So Air Play won't work with my 2010 C2D Macbook right?
Looks like this is the case. I can't understand if this is because it's not fast enough, or there is now a h264 hardware codec on new Mac hardware.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AmbassadorTaxicab
Sep 6, 2010

Jealous Cow posted:

Did anyone notice that you can't use the "battery time remaining" option for your menu bar anymore?
It might be a design decision with the unwashed masses confusing the remaining battery time with the actual clock.