Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ReidStylez
Sep 7, 2010

Resident Turbo Hayabusa Expert
I have an SSD I want to put in my MBP that's 120gb. I have a 320gb HD now in my MBP. I'm currently on Lion and was wondering can I back up now using Time Machine, insert my Snow Leopard CD I got with my MBP and restore from a time machine backup? Or do I have to install Snow Leopard and then install Lion and then restore from backup.

Also, does the time machine make my MBP just like I left it with all my programs installed that I installed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReidStylez
Sep 7, 2010

Resident Turbo Hayabusa Expert

1997 posted:

You could just use Carbon Copy Cloner / Super Duper / Disk Utility to make an exact copy of your current HD onto the SSD and you wouldn't have to bother installing anything really.

Edit: You can tell Carbon Copy Cloner to exclude certain folders if you're currently using more than 120GB on your HD.

Looks like Carbon Copy Cloner is free even.

I should be able to hook my SSD to my laptop via SATA to USB and run the program and then just boot off my SSD, right?

Thanks!

ReidStylez fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Sep 20, 2011