Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
So my parents have finally decided to upgrade their ancient computer running OSX 10.4 to a brand new iMac, and being the dutiful son I agreed to set everything up for them. Now, I know you can't perform a system transfer straight from 10.4 to Mavericks, however I know you can transfer from 10.4 to 10.6, then from 10.6 to Mavericks. I have a laptop I use that runs 10.6.8, and since my parents don't have a lot of RAM used up on their computer I could fit it in the remaining space on my hard drive. I was wondering if I could partition my hard drive, do a system transfer to just the newly created partition, do another system transfer from that partition to my parents' new computer, and then delete/remove the partition on my laptop? I wasn't able to find any information on the internet about whether you could perform a system transfer to just a partition on a larger hard drive, but hopefully someone here might know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Oneiros posted:

Are you just trying to transfer their home directories / applications over to the new system? In that case you don't need to do any partition fuckery; just run Migration Assistant on the 10.6 laptop to copy their stuff onto it and then do it again on the new iMac. Then you can just delete their home directories on the laptop.

Oh, okay. That would probably be the easiest to do then. I've never actually done the system transfer before, so I'm not really familiar with the details. Thanks!

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Is anyone else with OSX 10.10.5 and iTunes 12.3.1.23 (the latest versions) having problems playing back purchased movies on iTunes? Whenever I try to play one, it just gives me a black screen with no audio. I saw some other people on the internet having this same problem, but I wanted to see if this was widespread.

Ammat The Ankh fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Dec 10, 2015

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

What's the best driver for an XBox 360 Wired Controller? I found a few searching Google and other sites but I'm not sure if one is better/more reputable than others. I'm running High Sierra if that makes a difference.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Pivo posted:

I use this and it works absolutely flawlessly.

This works great, thanks!