Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

CygnusTM posted:

Everybody raves about DaisyDisk. Why should I spend money on it when I can get Disk Inventory X for free? It visualizes the data in a different way, but it looks like it does the same thing.

DaisyDisk scans really fast, even on this really ancient hard drive I have.

Also I paid like $5 because it was on sale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Oh, so in Mac software news Intuit sold Quicken to some firm, and the buyers have said they'll actually put developers on to make Mac Quicken more feature complete like the Windows version.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Axiem posted:

Is there a good program out there for creating a floorpan for a house along with placing furniture, marking things like electrical outlets, and other stuff someone might want to do with a home they own? Preferably to keep long-term to play with future furniture arrangements, remodeling, and other changes like that?

There's an iOS app called MagicPlan, I don't know how in depth it is or how much precision you need but it's definitely good for making basic floorplans.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

MZ posted:

My recovery partition in El Capitan won't boot up, I keep getting a kernel panic and it just restarts every time.
Any ideas of how to get OSX to recreate it without reinstalling the entire OS? (main partition boots up fine, which makes this extra weird).

I think you can run the installer and it will recreate it without reinstalling everything. I'd back up before just to be safe though.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Xabi posted:

I've got a bunch of files numbered 1 to 50, but the file 1 is supposed to be no. 50 and 50 is supposed to be no. 1, etc. How do I best change it around? Some sort of fancy script?

Yeah, if your files are named "1, 2, 3, ..., 50" and you want them to be named "50, 49, ..., 1" then you'd get a script to say basically "rename it to '50 - (n-1)' ", where n is your current file name.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

AlternateAccount posted:

What the gently caress is this?!?!

People bitch high and low about the Finder, justifiably, but Apple then puts in awesome stuff like this and doesn't tell anyone.

Improving Finder was one of their major advertised pushes around Mavericks(?), whichever one added in tabs for Finder.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Stare-Out posted:

So why is Safari a piece of poo poo? I've used it since El Cap launched because Chrome is a huge memory hog and cooks my Mac's GPU for some reason. Otherwise Safari is fine but it crashes constantly. Almost always when I close another Safari window or the downloads thing it just abruptly quits.

Also I got rid of flash some time ago and YouTube on Safari is a mess; the videos are laggy as hell and seeking causes the YouTube player to crash.

What extensions and/or plugins do you have? I've not had issues like that, at least not since I upgraded to El Cap.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Mu Zeta posted:

I don't know anyone who still uses Office when Google Docs exists.

Let me put it this way: working primarily in Office, and then opening in Google Docs, most if not all of your stuff is preserved.

Working primarily in Google Docs, and then opening in Office? Most of your stuff is broken in some way.

beefnoodle posted:

What about with the latest version? Office 2011 is almost 6 years old. For me, I spend a lot of time in PowerPivot, so I don't use Excel on the Mac much, but when I do, it's from Office 15.

Disclaimer: I have an ancient hard drive that makes everything painful to use. That being said, Office 2016 was *still* a major improvement over 2011.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
This is a random shoutout but I love how in Safari in Sierra a link will open a new tab, and you can either close it or hit the back button but it automatically closes and returns you to your previous tab.

It sometimes did that before when closing tabs but never with the back button.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

101 posted:

I never saw the high frame rate Hobbit. Kinda wish I would have just I could decide either way if I like it or not

It was pretty good but it's clear it's a "movies with color/sound" situation for people that are really unused to it.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Is there ANY way to get rid of the cloud icon in iTunes for Apple Music stuff? I hate seeing it on every single album cover

It goes away if you download it to local storage.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

gnrk posted:

Is the 10.12 Public Beta also the GM that was released to developers?

Unless they did something in the last few hours they haven't updated the public beta yet.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Quantum of Phallus posted:

So what's the big features with Sierra, just Siri?

A lot more iCloud integration (you can backup your entire documents & desktop if you have the space, and if you run out of room it'll delete the local copy of those backed up files), Photos is smarter, a lot more Continuity support (you can unlock your Mac with an Apple Watch, and you can copy/paste from your Mac to your iPhone).

There's other little things like adding tabs to all native MacOS apps (like maps, etc) and disabling plugins in Safari by default so people can get the gently caress off Flash. Oh and they introduced a new file system but it's extremely beta.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Dubstep Jesus posted:

Hasn't Dropbox had security breaches in the past anyways?

I got this two weeks ago:

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Krispy Kareem posted:

I just updated Office 365 to 64bit yesterday and it's been buggy as hell and much slower.

"Why yes, I love Excel crashing when I try and save. Awesome."

Usually the thing about 64bit Office is that macros don't work anymore.

That's why people generally don't upgrade unless they have utterly massive Excel files.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

MrChupon posted:

I'm not seeing Sierra in the App Store > Check for Updates. Do they stagger the release at all? Running El Capitan on an otherwise fully updated 2013 rMBP.
It's not technically an update, it's a new piece of software (so it's in the store).

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Bill Barber posted:

Doing a fresh install of Sierra cause I'm a weirdo and actually enjoy starting fresh every once in a while.

What's the best ad blocker for Safari these days? Is just the generic regular one that's at the top for the extensions page work fine or is there something inherently wrong with it? I'm not a power user and don't really care about shady dealings where sites pay the dev to whitelist their ads. I just want whatever one works the best.

I just use Adblock, it seems to work most of the time and the fancy Goon Approved one isn't on Safari.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

I Am Crake posted:

Universal Clipboard is good. I like tapback in iMessage, but that's a tiny difference. Siri is next to useless in practice, and I've only used it to set reminders. All in all it's basically the same as El Cap to me, but I like it all the same.

Also Right Click -> Search with Google defaults to opening a new tab in Safari now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Strong Sauce posted:

I have the latest iOS version and Sierra but I still cannot get handoff to work. I tried resigning back in on both the phone and the laptop but no such luck. Has anyone come across this problem?

How old is your phone and computer?