Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nervana
Dec 9, 2010
How do I get my MBP trackpad to scroll on "natural" (i.e. scroll up when I scroll down) and have my BT mouse stay non-natural (scroll down when I scroll down with the wheel)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nervana
Dec 9, 2010

ManPortable posted:

Scroll Reverser is free and that's all it does.

This worked! Thanks. Seems like a very simple option Apple has left out.

nervana
Dec 9, 2010
How do I get my Play/pause key (F8) to only work on iTunes? Kind of annoying that I can't just pause my music to watch a video on youtube.

nervana
Dec 9, 2010
New Mac user here. I found out Mac can't use NTFS external harddrives without installing a bunch of stuff, so I formated it to exFAT. Am I doing this right? I don't ever see me needing to use the drive on an older Mac, but I definitely will have to connect it to PC sometimes.

nervana
Dec 9, 2010

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Get Paragon NTFS and never worry about that stuff again

Is this better than using exFAT?

nervana
Dec 9, 2010
whats the best video player? I have been using VLC but sometimes when I'm watching a movie whatever I want to adjust the brightness or contrast etc and it is really inconvenient doing this with the video window. Minor nuisance but I am asking just in case there is a better video player.

nervana
Dec 9, 2010
New Mac user checking in again. Two questions:

1. What is a nice, simple program, preferably free, that can edit videos? I took long videos with my iPhone (>30 min) and the Photos app crashes whenever I try to do something with it (including exporting to my external HD?) Specific things I want to do are trim parts of the video(cut parts out), rotate(vertical to horizontal, vice versa), and combine several files into one file (play as one long video).

2. How do you guys import iphone photo/videos onto the Mac? Photos? Back when I used windows I used to be able to import directly to my external harddrive, with files labeled with date picture was taken and into folders with those dates. (ie.img20180317001 into folder 2018-03-17). This is something I would like to continue doing. What is the best way to do this? I am also looking for a non-cloud option of doing this.

nervana
Dec 9, 2010
how many use windows full time on the mac?

nervana
Dec 9, 2010
I have years of photos I have taken that I finally want to sit down and organize a little bit (rename files in a uniform manner, delete duplicates, delete blurry pictures, etc), but I don't need to edit the pictures themselves. What is the best app to do this?

On a related note, is there an app like windows photo viewer on Mac? By that I mean a fast, light app that will let me browse pictures by arrow keys, rotate pictures, and delete. Apps like Preview sort of work but there is a bit of lag between each picture (and I think you can't maximize the picture) which is annoying when I have thousands to go through.

nervana
Dec 9, 2010
What browser do you guys use on uour MBP(and iPhone)? I have been using Safari but I sort of miss Chrome.

nervana
Dec 9, 2010
Any recommended apps that can unzip password-locked zip files?

#edit: by this I meant cracking the file. ie. I don't know the password

nervana fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Nov 25, 2018

nervana
Dec 9, 2010
My 2017 MBP trackpad is not "responsive" all of a sudden. It functions fine (I can click etc.) but I don't have the "click" sensation when I press down. Is there a quick fix for this issue? I tried changing the trackpad click settings and while going from "light" to "firm" changes the firmness it's not at the level it was before.

nervana
Dec 9, 2010
I want to say that after I updated to catalina(?) one of my external HD is unable to be detected. It can see my other external HD fine. Is there any way to see if my external HD is broken?

edit : I am unable to see it ik disk utility

nervana fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Oct 11, 2019

nervana
Dec 9, 2010
*edit: nevermind I figured it out

nervana
Dec 9, 2010

Rick posted:

For whatever reason in the last month, I've been unable to see my external drive when it's plugged in via a firewire/thunderbolt adapter. The drive shows up if instead use a USB A cable.

It doesn't show up in the disk utility when plugged in to the firewire adapter, but at least the adapter shows up in system profile. So my first thought was maybe the firewire cable was bad, so I swapped it out, but nothing. I did notice the thunderbolt adapter is hot, which makes me think it might actually be the problem. But I've also done some googling and apparently with external drives sometimes Mac OS just loses them and eventually it will come back. Anyone else have this experience?

The computer that needed the firewire is long gone, so I think it might be time to replace this drive anyway, and I might do that instead of spending $30 on a thunderbolt adapter (especially since external drives are like $60 for 3TB right now), but, also my macbook only has two USB ports and one has a microphone in it 100% of the time. I have a hub but it's unreliable. So putting that thunderbolt port to work is desirable.

bump because i may be having similar problems

nervana
Dec 9, 2010
I am looking for a video editing software to put together my vacation photos and videos into one file, anybody have suggestions?

Some things I would like:
1) easy to learn and use. I am not a filmmaker or anything it doesn't have to look polished
2) some level of control over editing, including stitching together videos/splitting a video into 2 separate scenes
3) add text to the video, that can move around as the video continues (for example follow my friend as he moves around)
4) can edit sound, including music (Fade in/out) or add narration

I am open to paying a small fee (ideally non-subscription) if needed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nervana
Dec 9, 2010

American McGay posted:

That sounds like a job for iMovie.

Hmm I played around with it a little while but thought it was a little crude? For example I wasnt able to see (maybe I didnt look hard enough) how to add text, just "titles" which you cannot move around the text in the video (or even reposition), and you have to drag the time clip instead of being able to specifically type in the time(e.g. 1:05). Not to mention if you cannot overlap the titles and God forbid if you insert a new title and that one overlaps with the previous titles it will push back the time, making you retime everything again