Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Dan Hollis posted:

The word processing app "WriteRoom" is getting a lot of publicity for supposedly removing all distractions while writing. It costs $25 though, and I'm wondering if Word or Pages has a similar view (since I already own those programs.)

Word does have a fullscreen view that I like a lot.

Should be under View -> Full page or something like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Has anyone run into an issue where you can't delete applications by dragging them to the trash can? I had to go into the Applications folder in Finder and do a right-click -> delete to get rid of them.

Also, is there a good eBook reader that supports OPDS catalogs? Stanza doesn't support it yet, and Calibre is kind of a big, slow mess.

Vertigus fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Jul 26, 2011

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

lelandjs posted:

I was actually having issues with this in Snow Leopard, too. I think if an installer program put them in the folder, the user can't drag it to the trash or CMD+delete it without an administrative password.

That's kind of strange, because one of them was Stanza and I know it didn't use an installer program.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

shodanjr_gr posted:

Two main problems.

Track pad driver sucks (especially two finger scrolling, it is just horrible) and you don't get hybrid graphics so battery life is not very good (although the GPU downclocks pretty aggresively).

Some dude made a track pad driver that lets you configure some stuff better and improves the two finger scrolling (but still no 3-finger tap, what the gently caress?), but I won't bother recommending it because it has this spergy rear end in a top hat thing where the driver software phones home and disables itself if you don't download an update every week, even when the guy hasn't posted one.

Vertigus fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Aug 15, 2011

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

YO MAMA HEAD posted:

I use GlimmerBlocker too and have lately gotten addicted to blocking each CSS element I don't want to see. I'm sure there's some slowdown but I don't mind waiting a few microseconds to hide half of the Facebook UI

Just the other day I realized I could block the entire Youtube sidebar. It's glorious, a clean page of the videos from my subscriptions, and no paid sponsorships or "TOP YOUTUBE SUPER TOP SUPERSTARS!!!"

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

I like how people talk about the "end of OS X" as if it actually means anything. Do you think the next one's going to be completely different or something? They'll just call it "Mac OS IIe" and it'll mostly be the same thing.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Anal Tributary posted:

Is there anything less buggy than BetterTouchTool for remapping trackpad gestures? I just map three-finger click to middle mouse click in Chrome because it doesn't natively support three-finger click -> open in new tab. Thing is BTT is annoying as hell: it refuses to start up when I log in, no matter how many times I add it to login items, and it only works for maybe half of the clicks I do. Is there another program that works better for the same thing?

I use jitouch to re-enter the 21st century, where having a middle mouse button/3-finger tap to open new tabs is a no-brainer.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Anal Tributary posted:

Thanks for the suggestion, but jtouch seems to break tap-to-click randomly, like every 4th or 5th tap just doesn't register at all.

Are you sure there's not some issue with your trackpad? I only use tap-to-click and I haven't had any problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Lazyhound posted:

I use a cooling pad when gaming, otherwise the GPU starts throttling itself, I think.

To get decent performance out of the NVidia 9400M in my Macbook Pro, I had to set "Power Management Mode" to "Prefer maximum performance" instead of "Adaptive" under the NVidia control panel. It would throttle the card even when the laptop wasn't hot.