Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011

Slowhanded posted:

As a person using the Yosemite Release, Alfred is still completely superior to the new spotlight. The flexibility of the scripting language is what makes it so useful. Even if someone hasn't already created the module you want, it's real simple to code it yourself.

e: not to mention nearly all the new functionality of Yosemite spotlight has already been emulated on Alfred.

I always see people recommending Alfred, but I can't really see a reason for me to buy it based on the description. Can you give an example of what makes it superior over spotlight (which I use all the time to open apps)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011
So I'm having an issue with iMovie. I want to completely slowdown a clip of video (that was shot, in slo-mo mode on an iPhone 5S). The problem is, iMovie automatically does it in the same way that iOS shows it, with the beginning and end being normal speed. I can't seem to be able to get rid of the normal speed part at the end, which is really jarring. It looks like this in imovie:

Notice the movie icons: those show that those parts are at normal speed. I tried clicking the movie icons, but they can't be selected. If I click the turtle icon I can drag it to encompass the entire clip, but this dragging doesn't actually do anything and the change doesn't stick.

I know I could overcome this by exporting it from my iPhone with an app (e.g. TruSloMo), but that's hassle and there should just be a way to do this in iMovie right?

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011

korora posted:

This seems too obvious but have you tried dragging the gray circles above the movie clip icons?

Yeah that increases/decreases the amount of speeding up/slowdown. I fixed it by splitting the clip right before it speeds up again, and this new clip I then slowed down. Also a workaround, but at least I didn't have to go back to the phone it was shot with.

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011
I've recently been playing some videos on my tv through HDMI with my macbook pro retina, and I've noticed that I will often get 'juddering' when the movie plays. It looks like the framerate drops for a few seconds. Nobody I'm with notices it unless I point it out, but it drives me mad. What can I do to solve this? I use MplayerX.

I found this thread:
https://forums.plex.tv/index.php/topic/93849-the-big-24hz-on-mac-os-x-thread/
Which claims that macs output video at 24hz, while a lot of bluray movies actually display at 23,976hz. This causes dropped frames every few seconds as the movie 'catches up' . It seems kind of far-fetched but who knows.

Usually when I play movies I just put them on a USB stick and plug that into my tv. That causes no problems. Of course there's also solutions like Beamer (http://beamer-app.com), but I find it too unreliable to use.

LPG Giant fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Dec 29, 2014

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011
What kind of resolution do you guys use on a RMBP13 when bootcamping into windows? I've been doing 1920x1080 but it looks kinda lovely. I understand that it'll never look as good as in OSX, but maybe something a little nicer looking? I use it for 1 or 2 programs that don't support mac and some 3d gaming of older games.

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011

carry on then posted:

Do you have access to Windows 8.1? They implemented (finally) comparable scaling to OS X in that version. It's not perfect but it's much nicer than Windows 8 and prior (I have the Windows 10 alpha on mine.)

I suppose I could get it through my university, but I don't think it'd be worth the effort of reinstalling. Plus, in less than two weeks I won't have access to regular internet so jumping to something new is a bit risky without being able to find tech support. I'm using Windows 7 now.

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011

Last Chance posted:

The biggest drawback for installing Win 8/8.1 over Win 7 on my Bootcamp partition has been the fact that Win 8/8.1 is a greasy pile of poo poo. That's my only holdup.

Yeah this too. I have a lot of friends using Windows 8 and they all agreed that upgrading was a mistake.

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011

carry on then posted:

Install StartIsBack and Windows 8 becomes Windows 7 But Flat. There were very few major architectural changes outside of those to support Metro, and once you hide that away there's very little difference in using it vs 7. On the other side, the interface scaling is much improved and basically makes retina displays useable under Windows. There really isn't much the OP can do except run at 1280x800 which will make it blocky but not blurry, or deal with Windows 7 at 150% scaling.

I'll just stick with what I have then, thanks. I use it maybe one hour per week so it's not a big deal.

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011
I have a somewhat complicated Networking question.

I want to create a network with my mac, run a virtual machine (through VMware), have the virtual machine have a static IP address, and then have several tablets connect to the virtual machine to download and upload data. All without there being an internet connection available. And probably no electricity either.

I found the option to create a wifi network with my Macbook Pro (retina, 13'), I just need to find a way to have the virtual machine have the same internal IP address all the time. This is a requirement to have the tablets connect properly.

I'm sure this must be possible somehow, I just don't know if it's possible with the built-in function. It's pretty low on settings.

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011

Mercurius posted:

Bridge the virtual machine's network card to your physical Wi-Fi adapter and then manually set the static IP inside the guest OS's networking options so it's on the same network range as your Mac is. I think VMware defaults to NAT/Shared mode which won't allow traffic back into the VM.

Wow those were a lot of things I have never heard of. But a simpler problem for now: when I create the network on my mac it doesn't actually appear to work. It's not broadcasting a WiFi signal: none of my devices can find it. I was also surprised that there is no option to secure the network.

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011

flosofl posted:

Well, the issue is going to be that if the host machine is not connected to a network, even assigning the VM to the wireless adapter is not going to magically create an ad-hoc or SoftAP WLAN. The VM is a virtual ethernet adapter, so all the VM gets is IP/subnet and gateway.

Do you have a little AP you can use to create the actual wireless network for a local WLAN? Without a local network for your Host OS, your VM has nothing to talk over.

I don't have something to make an acces point. I wouldn't be able to give it power anyway (this all is going to happen in rural Congo). I thought that choosing create a network on my mac would create a wifi network. Much as how I can create a Wifi network with my iPhone.

If I create the network, it does show up on my iPhone 5s, as a device under wifi. It's not showing on the tablets (Android), even after changing the channel.

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011

lol internet. posted:

"Put hard disk to sleep when possible."

What's everyones consensus on this? Googled a bit and most people are saying it should be unchecked..

For mechanical drives, I'm a bit weary.. my current setup anyways is 1 SSD and 1 mechanical drive.

I started looking into this because when my computer comes out of the screensaver, i've noticed a couple times where the screen is completely black and has a mouse cursor. It's like this for 5 mins before it responds to the login page.

I have this problem as well. Some people say it's related to the SMC. But resetting it doesn't really help a lot. It's an extremely annoying bug, and there does not appear to be a solution.

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011

PUGGERNAUT posted:

Yeah, but I do some photo editing/graphic design on the side and I would always forget to switch it off. Which sucks because otherwise I liked it, I just can't be trusted!

You can turn it off per app

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011

binarysmurf posted:

Microsoft just dropped updates for Office 2016 that seemed to have sorted all of the 10.11 instability (at least for me). Just a heads-up. :)

Can we get some more trip reports on this? The update notes don't mention it at all.

Edit: Macworld says it's not been fixed: http://www.macworld.com/article/299...el-capitan.html

LPG Giant fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Oct 15, 2015

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011

Sad Panda posted:

Thank you! I didn't even know that was an option. It's turned off and I look forward to it working properly.

It works fine for me. Annoying is that now any time I open a fullscreen app it becomes the righternmost space. I'd prefer it to go to the space to the right of my current one. Though I guess there's something to be said for both options.

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011

radge posted:

What's the best way to stop a MacBook from sleeping while the lid is closed?

I use NoSleep. But it's not really perfect: it still sleeps after a while.

I used forum favorites Caffeine and Amphetamine before, but they were even worse.

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011

Eight Is Legend posted:

If anyone is still clinging to Mailbox, check out https://polymail.io - it looks very similar and most importantly (for me, at least) you can long-swipe to delete instead of only being able to archive.

There's so many cool mail clients out there. Like Spark (https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/spark-like-your-email-again/id997102246?mt=8) and Inbox (https://www.google.com/inbox/).

But the crucial feature for me is that it has to be cross platform. I want to be able to snooze on my phone, iPad, Macbook or my PC, and have those snoozes carry over to other devices. So far, only Inbox works on all devices (though Spark say they're working on it). Polymail looks really great: tracking who's read my e-mail, being able to schedule when an e-mail is sent are two great features that I would love to have. But if it's just on my Mac it's useless to me.

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011
Is there something odd going on with how OSX calculates disk space?

I use a program (Disk Inventory X, http://www.derlien.com) to visualise the space used on my mac. It states that I've used 105gb. When I (roughly) tally up the different folders I get to 82 GB - a 23 Gb difference. Strange. It also says I have 80 Gb free.

Stranger still, when I look at how much OS X claims I've used (using get info) it also says I've used 105 Gb. But it claims that I have 95 Gb available, which makes sense (the main disk is a 200 Gb partition).

So what gives? How much space do I actually have available, and what is using this extra 23 Gb that I cannot find?

Macbook Pro Retina, 13 inch 256 GB, OS X El Capitan.

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011

LPG Giant posted:

Is there something odd going on with how OSX calculates disk space?

I use a program (Disk Inventory X, http://www.derlien.com) to visualise the space used on my mac. It states that I've used 105gb. When I (roughly) tally up the different folders I get to 82 GB - a 23 Gb difference. Strange. It also says I have 80 Gb free.

Stranger still, when I look at how much OS X claims I've used (using get info) it also says I've used 105 Gb. But it claims that I have 95 Gb available, which makes sense (the main disk is a 200 Gb partition).

So what gives? How much space do I actually have available, and what is using this extra 23 Gb that I cannot find?

Macbook Pro Retina, 13 inch 256 GB, OS X El Capitan.

More inconcistencies!

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011
I really like qbittorrent. Their philosophy is: copy the utorrent app before it became poo poo.

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011

Dugong posted:

I just had to wipe my MacBook and backed everything up bar Word 2011 because my university offers the 2016 Office package for free. I have now realised that my referencing package plugin (Refworks Cite N Write) doesn't work with Word 2016. Anyone have any hot picks? I would drop the money on Endnote but I only have one semester left.

I like Mendeley.

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011
Cross-posting from the hardware thread because I mistakenly posted it there:

How do you guys manage multiple desktops on multiple displays?

I have three displays, two which always have one desktop, and one which has two. I was using Moom to automatically arrange the windows on these desktops, but it doesn't play well with the display that has two desktops. If the correct desktop is not currently being shown, it puts the window in the right place on the wrong desktop (the one that is currently shown). Plus, often the desktops jump around, causing one of the displays that always has one desktop to suddenly have two. Are there any apps which can make the number of desktops consistent, and also arrange windows in a certain way?

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011

Pivo posted:

Scale looks fine to me.

I see. The lower percentages are a proportion of the upper percentages.

That's awful. How are you supposed to compare across assistants then?

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011

Pivo posted:

Like this:

The visualisation does not contribute to that though. You'd have to take the size of the dark blue bar, divide it by the light blue bar (part of which is dark blue), and then do that for the one you're comparing. The advantage of graphs is that they can show you stuff at a glance. They should have just made it separate bars that use the same y-axis.

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011
Guys I use Textmate because my programmer friend told me to use it. I use it for a bit of Python once in a while is this a good choice y/n?

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011

jackpot posted:

Twice in the past couple weeks my 2017 mbp has crashed in a way that I really don't like.

Can you do describe a crash that you like?

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011
I am considering doing a clean install of my Mac during the switch to Mojave. I have a late 2013 256GB Macbook Pro Retina and I've never done a clean install. I feel like my available space has been steadily declining despite not installing all that much. I also think all the Python/Latex stuff I've installed has gotten too messy. Some of it is installed with Homebrew, some just normally. I probably have several versions just floating around (and this has led to issues where packages are installed for the 'wrong' Python version). All important documents are in the cloud so I'm unlikely to lose anything (though I would make a time machine backup, obviously).

Is the hassle of clean reinstall worth it? What would be the best way to do it?

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011
I just use sublime text, or a different text editor if it’s not available on the machine I’m using.

Edit: but Texpad looks cool. What additional features of it do you guys like most?

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011

Sad Panda posted:

I've got a decent-sized external monitor attached to my rMBP and am trying to do some research. I open up 4-6 windows (Safari/Word/PowerPoint mainly) and I'd like a piece of software where I can drag those windows on to a monitor, press a shortcut and it automatically tiles them. Does something like that exist?

I use Moom to do exactly this! You can even set it up that it triggers automatically when the monitor is attached (that works a bit wonky on my end but that's probably because the monitors/cables I use suck).

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011
I have to give a presentation tomorrow using Zoom. I think Zoom is a creep company whose software I don't want to install on my Mac. Meetings so far I just attended using my iPad (nothing sensitive on there), but to actually give the presentation this won't work. Unfortunately I waited to long to bring this up so I can't ask to use a different software. I'm also new at the company and I'm not sure if I want to be that guy.

What can I do to minimise how Zoom affects my system? Would making an extra user account with low privileges help? I could set up as new and restore from backup afterwards but that seems like a lot of time I'd rather spend preparing. Or, am I just being overly paranoid?

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011

Quackles posted:

May I recommend Skim? I stopped reading Preview a while back for similar reasons.

Am I seeing this right that it basically uses its own type of notes that cannot be read by other pdf viewers? I tried to use this to open a previously annotated pdf and could not open the comments until I converted them to 'Skim notes', at which point preview could not see any of the notes anymore.

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011
Uh oh I was hoping to postpone the switch to a new macOS (I'm on Mojave) until I buy one of those fancy new macbooks but looks like I might have to upgrade earlier.

Would that be preferable anyway? How would a time machine backup from Mojave restore to Big Sur/Monterey?

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011

Anton Chigurh posted:

Has anyone here been down the tech rabbit hole with the AdGuard extension for Safari?

I was using it off and on for several years, and it has never consistently worked right for me. While it generally blocks ads well, included embedded YouTube ones, often it didn't run at Safari startup; found it paused or disabled until I clicked the icon; frequently it wouldn't update its filters even when doing it manually – all kinds of weird behavior. Fixes I Googled would work temporarily for awhile, the stop again.

After the release of SpyBuster in May by MacPaw, a Ukrainian-based company in Kyiv, I ran it in May but still didn't connect the dots.

Many Mac news sites reported on it then, like here at AppleInsider.

AdGuard is one of the four apps it found on my system that use Russia-based servers. After removing it and looking into macOS Monterey's Notifications & Focus settings in System Preferences, I found listings for things like pushfakechris.io, push.io, and 4 or 5 other push entries. They aren't apps, so the only easy way to delete them is through Safari's Preferences, in the Websites tab in the Notifications section. All were set to Deny, but I never allowed them in the first place. I had checked the box for allowing websites to ask for permission to install them.

Those .io entries are all from TikTok, and I've never installed that app on my smartphone. If you go to push.io, it takes you to Oracle's website for their cross-channel push marketing products, meaning they'll show ads on all social media apps, web browsers, and anything else they sell. That's all stuff AdGuard is supposed to block.

This last news item is what connected the dots for me, if you've followed the TikTok vs. U.S. Government saga at all: TikTok May Be More Dangerous Than It Looks and Lawmakers press TikTok about China and user data in Senate hearing.

With the frequent updates to WebKit and Safari for security patches and Chrome (and all Chromium-based browsers like Brave, Opera, Microsoft Edge, and Chromium itself), I went :aaaaa: and then :kingsley:

TL;DR: What's the best free or cheap non-AdGuard Safari extension for blocking the ads at YouTube and elsewhere that make web browsing an epileptic's nightmare? Preferably one that doesn't sell workarounds to its ad blocking like AdBlock does.

Wow, this is intense. I have been using adguard for a while (this thread's recommendation I think), but I don't have those entries in the Safari Preferences->Websites->Notifications settings.

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011

Anton Chigurh posted:

It really doesn't matter where their company is currently headquartered. If the servers AdGuard uses are in Russia or Russian-controlled countries (Belarus), it's not a stretch to speculate the Russian government could access and control the data in them for cyber warfare purposes. Given all the misinformation and disinformation around U.S. presidential elections known to have been used by Russian hackers when Trump was campaigning and elected (mostly through Facebook and Twitter). That's why U.S. Congressional hearings continue to go on to find out how Facebook, Twitter, etc. accept money for advertising that was used to influence the 2016 presidential election.

Similar things are true of TikTok and its servers. They're now in the U.S. and controlled by Oracle. This article from back in June indicates how dangerous that could be for U.S. military interests: https://gizmodo.com/tiktok-china-oracle-bytedance-1849078477

Sorry for not making that clearer in my first post. I should've linked that article in it.

Yes, but depends on what you mean by "owned." If TikTok's data is still controlled by the PRC and Chinese military to any degree, does it matter where the servers TikTok uses are located? No, it doesn't, for the reasons I laid out above with AdGuard and Russia.

Did you read the official response you quoted? Adguard explicitly says they don't have servers in Russia.

Could there be some conspiracy going on where it is in fact a front company fully controlled by Russia. Sure. But provide some evidence for that. I think the only evidence you've provided so far is 'the CEO is Russian'.

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011
Hi all, I'm leaving a job and am allowed to take my MBP with me (14 inch, M1 Pro).

There is some device management software installed, but I have no clue what it is. I think it might be related to a cog item that usually shows up in the menubar:

I cannot click the cog in any way, though I can move it with cmd+click (I can't drag it out of the bar). I remember when it was installed I had to run some script that installed it (I can't find this script anymore). I know that they can see what apps I have installed and which software version they are. I have the 'profiles' item in my system preferences but it's for my private e-mail (protonmail).

Does anyone know what device management software this is and how I can remove it? I have asked the IT department but they are pretty incompetent generally and have been ignoring my e-mails for the past few days. I also leave (the country) in a week. Alternatively, if they do end up getting back to me is there a way to verify that the mac is 'clear' of the software? I don't really trust the IT department to do a good job.

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011

unknown posted:

You'll need to get the it department to remove the serial number from their inventory with apple. Otherwise it'll just reregister the next time it starts up.

There's no way around this. It's built-in to firmware on the laptop/all macs.

So the way it happened a brand new, sealed box was delivered, I opened it, set it up as my own (IT was fine with this). I used it as if it was my own for about a month, then a guy from IT came by and ran said mystery script. So I have my doubts if it was every actually registered as belonging to the company. It's also listed in my personal iCloud account. Can I check this serial status somehow?

I should note that only 5% of employees use a mac, ITs workflow for macs is somewhat of an afterthought.

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011

Warbird posted:

It looks like Sensors (https://github.com/macmade/Sensors)but you will need to make sure they do the necessary legwork to get it purged/cleaned as mentioned. I’m kind of shocked they would let you walk away with hardware and not zero out the drive on top of that.

Ah I guess I could have purged my screenshot a bit better. I have some sensor software installed called Stats (https://github.com/exelban/stats), that's probably what you think Sensors is. The stuff my job installed is just the single cog all the way on the left.

Agreed that it's a bit weird, but it's academia (-ish), so the culture is different. Also no proprietary data or anything.

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011

LPG Giant posted:

Hi all, I'm leaving a job and am allowed to take my MBP with me (14 inch, M1 Pro).

There is some device management software installed, but I have no clue what it is. I think it might be related to a cog item that usually shows up in the menubar:

I cannot click the cog in any way, though I can move it with cmd+click (I can't drag it out of the bar). I remember when it was installed I had to run some script that installed it (I can't find this script anymore). I know that they can see what apps I have installed and which software version they are. I have the 'profiles' item in my system preferences but it's for my private e-mail (protonmail).

Does anyone know what device management software this is and how I can remove it? I have asked the IT department but they are pretty incompetent generally and have been ignoring my e-mails for the past few days. I also leave (the country) in a week. Alternatively, if they do end up getting back to me is there a way to verify that the mac is 'clear' of the software? I don't really trust the IT department to do a good job.

So I looked at the list of software installed on my Mac (in system report) and discovered it's probably NinjaRMM (https://www.ninjaone.com). Good to know what it is at least, this might help get IT moving. Since it does look like it's a proper RMM rather than something adhoc (which I assumed) I'll need IT's help. At least now I can point them in the right direction. And I can check if they properly removed it by seeing if it gets removed from the list.

Regarding the 'Activation Lock', if it shows up in my personal icloud account and I can remove it from find my mac it's probably not registered as company property and I don't have to worry about this right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011

unknown posted:

No - Apple will only add the serial number with proof of purchase/ownership chain. (they are sticklers for this) Since most companies buy directly from Apple, they all are added to the master account at purchase time which is associated with the MDM/RMM system.

This also means that if a company is selling you a laptop, you must get it removed from that list - even if they aren't using a MDM solution right now. If they add one in the future, it's blanket added to all devices on that list. Eg: a year down the road, blammo your computer suddenly will be added to the MDM system.

Instructions: https://support.apple.com/en-ca/guide/apple-business-manager/axmec4d28461/web

If anyone isn't aware - all macs upon getting internet access after booting check in with apple. If there's a MDM solution associated with the serial number, apple will then pass the MDM url to the computer and it will go there and do whatever it's told (software install/commands/etc).

This is also how a stolen laptop can be remotely shutdown/erased and its only good for parts at that point.

Thanks, this is really useful. I will keep trying IT and make sure that they write something up indicating that they're giving the laptop to me.