Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.
Has anyone seen a problem with Time Machine in Lion where it continually backs up a shitload of data despite no actual changes taking place? I don't recall it ever happening on Snow Leopard.

I think it could possibly be related to my SSD+HDD Optibay setup. Based on the size, it looks like it's continually re-backing up everything on the HDD, much of which is symlinked to my user profile on the SSD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

decypher posted:

Absolutely I have. It's strange. I am pretty religious if not obsessive about backing up time machine multiple times a day. Today I was very surprised to see that time machine had 17 GB worth of data to back up. I did download all the previously bought but then lost tv shows from iTunes yesterday, but ran time machine after the fact (which transferred about 10gb worth of data) right before I went to bed and shut off the computer. Strange.

I wish it was only 17GB. This is 2 hours after my last backup:

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

tmutil compare lists 9.6M of changes compared to Time Machine's 140GB, so yeah, let's just assume there's a bug.

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

japtor posted:

Came to post about that, here's the What's New page, the arbitrary graphics bars are 2.5x longer! It says the $50 price is a limited time promo price too, no clue on normal price though.
That's great if you don't own it already, but it's a terrible upgrade price. As a VMWare user it's $29 to upgrade to Parallels 7.

And last year VMWare Fusion upgrades from any version of Fusion or Parallels were just $9.99.

I switched from Parallels 5 to VMWare Fusion 3.1 to Parallels 7 for less than the cost of a straight upgrade of either.

frumpsnake fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Sep 14, 2011

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

japtor posted:

What GPU do you have? I think it was on the Anandtech article that pointed out that it seemed like they were basically cutting off the oldest graphics, which is more or less (but not completely?) in line with EFI32 machines.
There's no correlation between the graphics cards and the EFI32 machines, really. The original Macbook Air is the only device with both 32-bit EFI and 32-bit graphics kexts.

2007/2008 Macbooks and Mac Minis do have 64-bit EFIs, but 32-bit kexts for GMA950 and GMAX3100. Meanwhile a lot of the 32-bit EFI machines actually do have fully supported 64-bit kexts for their GPUs.

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

Finder version has always been independent of OS version.

OS X 10.4.11 runs Finder 10.4.7.
OS X 10.5.6 runs Finder 10.5.8.
OS X 10.6.6 runs Finder 10.6.7.
OS X 10.7.3 runs Finder 10.7.2.

frumpsnake fucked around with this message at 01:30 on May 25, 2012

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

Applesmack posted:

Also, I know its possible to boot Mac OS X and Windows, but is it also possible to dualboot Mac OS X and Ubuntu as well?
Yes. Boot Camp isn't really Windows specific nor does it do anything special other than resize your Mac's HFS+ partition and grab drivers, the BIOS emulation/booting support is built in.

Easiest thing to do is to just install the rEFIt boot manager, use Disk Utility to resize your HFS+ partition to create some free space, then boot off a Ubuntu CD.

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

lol internet. posted:

Since I purchased a Macbook after June 11th, I qualify for the free upgrade. Does anyone know if I'll be getting a USB stick install? Or will it just be a regular app store download?

If it's the 4.3GB download you're worried about, just do it at the Apple Store. Or Starbucks.

If you just want a USB stick install for convenience, multiple PCs, or safekeeping, just pick up a $6 8GB flash drive. It's really easy to make a USB install from the App Store download using Disk Utility, or an even simpler tool like Lion DiskMaker.

frumpsnake fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jul 25, 2012

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

Yeah. Starbucks was probably a poor example. Tethering to someone's phone would be faster.

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

Bob Morales posted:

I have heard the Lion update is only 4GB - does that mean you can't make a USB install stick out of it?

I was thinking about downloading it at work since we have a 50mb connection

The InstallESD image inside the App Store download is actually a little over 4GB, you need an 8GB USB stick if you want to make a USB installer.

Easiest way is with Lion DiskMaker.

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

Bob Morales posted:

Can you just drag the ESD to the USB drive in Disk Utility like before?

Yes, you can use Disk Utility like normal provided you're dragging the mounted image contained in InstallESD.dmg and not the .dmg itself.

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

Manky posted:

Actually, now that it's installing, has someone already done an ML upgrade with an optibay setup? Am I going to have to change the directory links again?

Symlinks persisted fine when I did it.

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

It's a brand new, CoreAnimation-accelerated scrolling engine. And it makes a huge loving difference on the rMBP.

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

No problems with Parallels 7 here either. Running the latest 7.0.15104.

Bamabalacha posted:

I have a mid-2009 MacBook Pro currently running 10.6.8; is Mountain Lion going to be ridiculously slow on it or will it be good to go?

It'll be fine.

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

damaca posted:

Anyone from Australia had their Up To Date application accepted yet? Perhaps I did my application a little too late after the initial rush. Been about 15 hours so far.

Applied at around midnight, came through at 1:20 this morning. A friend got theirs after about an hour this afternoon too.

That said, there's plenty of bitchers on Whingepool complaining that they didn't get theirs after waiting all day, and demanding Apple re-imburse them the au$20.99 they spent buying it because they couldn't wait.

frumpsnake fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Jul 26, 2012

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

Alfalfa posted:

Does my Twitter app on my MBP sync now with my Twitter app on iPhone/iPad to mark last read tweet?

Or is that still not available?

The Twitter app hasn't been properly updated in years, it's not going to sync poo poo.

If you cough up a few bucks for Tweetbot for iOS (and you should), the free alpha client for Mac will sync your position via TweetMarker. (The final release will support iCloud too.)

frumpsnake fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Jul 26, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

ufarn posted:

Has anyone who used the up-to-date program submitted an e-mail address ID that contained a "+" character? I have a feeling the regex of the submission pages doesn't accept it.

It also insists on an American-style phone number for some reason. :confused:

If it insists on using an American-style phone number you're on the US signup page, not whatever your local country's is. It'll also say "USA" on your confirmation, no matter what country you chose in the dropdown.

ie. http://www.apple.com/osx/uptodate/
is different to
http://www.apple.com/au/osx/uptodate/

Click the flag in the bottom right and select your country.

Nothing concrete but I've heard it might take longer if you use the wrong country since they have to process it manually.

frumpsnake fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Jul 28, 2012