Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

BobHoward posted:

Permissions repair and PRAM reset are placebos most of the time.

It's the update Kernel for Linux and defrag for windows. It gets them off the phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Anyone used this http://imgur.com/a/xf4Oy

Run your MacBook Pro Retina in native 2560x1600 (2880x1800 on 15inch) with "Display Menu" App

http://imgur.com/a/xf4Oy
http://www.reddit.com/r/mac/comments/4fqyit/run_your_macbook_pro_retina_in_native_2560x1600/

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

IuniusBrutus posted:

It seems nifty, but I don't see the purpose? I have decent eyes, and the highest scaled resolution on my 13" (1680x1050) is already pushing to the point where poo poo is getting a little small.

I just bumped my 15" 1 res and it's gotten me much screen real estate.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

How do you figure out if you can put 32GB of ram in your macbook pro? I've got 2015 with 16GB already but i'd love an extra 16GB.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Vulture Culture posted:

Amazon even has their own consumer backup product that's a better fit than S3/Glacier for most people.

I wouldn't consider that a backup solution. Backups should have iterations of the files I need backed up. I need to restore from set time/date. Then again that's the admin in me. For everyone normal yeah just copy your music and pictures over into cloud drive.

Unless you can turn on s3 versioning in that client then ignore everything I just posted.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

I just use jungle disk. Pick a provider and be done with it.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

did SALR die for safari or am I just failing at google?

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Doesn't lastpass host your passwords and wasn't it hacked a year or so ago.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Is there any software that will let me mirror folders from iCloud Drive into Dropbox?

We figured out the how. What is the why?

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Final Draft reader for iOS won't let you open a .fdx file properly from iCloud Drive whereas exporting it from Dropbox will open it without any problem. I'm saving a script to iCloud Drive and I want it to save to Dropbox as well so I can read it on my iPad when I need to :)

that actually makes sense, thank god. I thought you were trying to cloud into your cloud as a backup. You could've just rsync'd from cron

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

wolffenstein posted:

Correct. 1Password supports adding 2FA tokens that work with Google Authenticator so it's nice not to have a separate app for passwords and tokens.

explain how now. I need this in my life.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Last Chance posted:

Parallels can also use your Bootcamp partition as a VM

So can virtualbox

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

how? i want to block cnn.com

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Why is the Mac screen sharing such poo poo? I recently acquired a Mac mini and trying to control it from my Mac book pro is terrible. The copy paste is ridiculously bad.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

flycut?

it's free

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

dexter6 posted:

Anyone know of a (preferably) free SQL Server Client for MacOS?

sequel pro

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

GutBomb posted:

Anyone still using a mid 2012 retina MacBook pro 15"? I have someone willing to sell me a 16gb model with a 512mb SSD 2.6ghz i7 for $900. The specs seem pretty close to the one currently available aside from the slower RAM and the lack of a touch bar.

Is this machine a good deal? Is it too ancient to be useful for web development (Apache/php/mysql, in a Docker container, angularjs, node.js, sublime text, light Photoshop) on a 1440p monitor?

Nah it's still good. With the ssd you're solid. Maybe not $900 good deal but still a good laptop if you want Mac OS X without hackintosh

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Splinter posted:

I'd also recommend something like BetterSnapTool for window management. It lets you setup hotkeys to move/resize windows (e.g. split screen, corners, thirds, maximize, next monitor), snap to side/corners, and custom actions for right/middle clicking the red/yellow/green window dots and double clicking the titlebar.

Amethyst. Spectacles. All great tiling stuff.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

IUG posted:

I wish there was a plugin that would stop those videos, but also send an email to the webmaster telling how terrible of a person they are.

There isn't a plugin but you can enable something in the advanced menu. I had to google for it. Now I have to click to play any video. So much better. That's safari only of course.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

IUG posted:

There is a ".Trash" folder in my user folder that contains the untitled folder I just made and trashed.

code:
iMac:Macintosh HD $ cd /Users/
iMac:Users $ ls
Guest		Shared		REMOVED
iMac:Users $ cd REMOVED/
iMac:~ $ ls -a
.			.cups			Dropbox (REMOVED)
..			.dropbox		Dropbox (Personal)
.CFUserTextEncoding	.ssh			Library
.DS_Store		Applications		Movies
.Trash			Desktop			Music
.bash_history		Documents		Pictures
.bash_sessions		Downloads		Public
Jons-iMac:~ $ cd .Trash
Jons-iMac:.Trash $ ls
untitled folder
iMac:.Trash $

"REMOVED" is my name, and my company name that I edited out.

Congrats Jon.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Michael Scott posted:

Thanks for the help Jon

- Michael Scott

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Mandals posted:

Not sure if this belongs in the HW thread, but I'm looking for a way to connect two MBPs and a PC to the same monitor, KB and mouse. KB and mouse are bluetooth, so that means I can't use a HW KVM switch like I normally would.

Many years ago I used Synergy and it worked decently as a software KVM, but it was flaky at times and I was never sure if that was due to it being a software-based KVM or just something specific to Synergy. After doing some research I stumbled upon Sharemouse, which seems to fit the bill. I'm about to test it but I wanted to know if there was an obvious winner or go-to product here.

EDIT - Just read the system requirements for Sharemouse a bit closer and each laptop will need their own monitor. Which is a problem as I was hoping to output both of them to a larger, shared monitor.

How are you going to share the monitor? Are you going to switch inputs when you want to control a different computer?

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

There's a power button? I don't think I've ever ran down my laptop

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Can you split windows in terminal now?

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Axiem posted:

I just use tmux; why would I ever want to split the actual window?

Edit: But yes, iTerm apparently allows you to bypass tmux and all the great stuff tmux gives you in order to fake it locally.

It actually integrates into tmux. It's nice that way.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Dick Trauma posted:

Anyone used OmniGraffle Pro to import/export to Visio?

Yes

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Does the messages and iMessages sync suck? I've logged in and out multiple times and it never stays in sync.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

An Enormous Boner posted:

This is cool: https://github.com/dmarcotte/easy-move-resize

It lets you (with an accompanying customizable key combo) click anywhere in a window and drag to move. You can also resize windows openbox/fvwm/xfce style where you hold a key combo and drag the general corner or middle of an edge. This is a feature I've missed constantly when swapping between macOS and Linux/BSD. Hunting for window edges is tedious.

It's also great combined with Magnet: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/magnet/id441258766

I like spectacle over magnet. https://www.spectacleapp.com

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Martytoof posted:

What’s the best way to associate mailto links with gmail in a safari window?

There’s an extension. Pretty sure it’s in the extension page.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Sad Panda posted:

Is there software that I can use to set a mode on my computer, and then it'll load a preset group of applications and position them on my screen as I like? I ask because for example I'm learning python coding and so have my copy of Learn Python the Hard Way open in ebook viewer on the left half of my space, a copy of Sublime Text covering maybe 60-70% of the other half and then the terminal at the bottom of the right half. Instead of manually sorting that out, I'd love an automated way.

Spectacles can do this. Maybe not automatically but I’m sure you can find a window manager like it that’ll do it. Try spectacles first. It’s all key strokes to manage your windows. There’s a few others. Google tiling window manager.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

JamesOff posted:

I don’t think it will do the launching bit, but have a look at Moom.

Moom that was the other one. Yeah it’s good too. I tend to move my windows around a lot so spectacles works best for me.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

ufarn posted:

I mean, I'd get the same you use on your mobile so you can sync your read position.

I use Tweetbot for everything, but the macOS syncing is just awful bordering on non-existing.

huh? tweetbot syncs wonderfully between my phone/mac/ipad. no issues.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Last Chance posted:

Use Chrome on iOS?

This. Else you’ll be writing something to export chrome to safari every day.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

GobiasIndustries posted:

My mother seems to have installed some sort of malware on her laptop (Retina, Mid-2012, all software is up to date). Something seems to have taken over her web browsers. She says that when she tried to go to jjill.com last night ads started popping up for other clothing on the side of the browser, and when we were talking through things it now turns out that when she tries to go to pretty much any website she gets redirected to fake pages telling her Flash is outdated, popups saying IMMEDIATE ACTION REQUIRED, Your system is infected with 3 viruses!, etc.

Is there any free software she can use to scan for whatever's causing this? It happens in both Chrome and Safari for her.

Malwarebytes maybe?

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Anyone notice that your Bluetooth headphones don’t display in the menu anymore? Both of my beats X have no name. Just blanks where the name should be.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Nope, just reinstalled too

https://imgur.com/a/mzumQ

no idea why, it just started recently.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Proteus Jones posted:

This is loving weird.

After your first post I test against my Sennheiser HD-1, AirPods. I just checked my Bose Soundlink2 at work. All three of them have correct labels.

By reinstall, I assume you mean it's in a vanilla state? Because my next question would be if you have any audio enhancers installed like Boom2.

Are you still under warranty where you can call Apple? Or maybe submit a trouble ticket?

Doubt I’m under warranty anymore and yeah straight vanilla. Nothing added on. It works just fine just doesn’t show up in there. So weird.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Oh yeah so my weird Bluetooth beats X issue. Apparently they got unnamed. As soon as I renamed them in the Bluetooth menu I was good. So weird it happened to both at the same time.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

New MacBook Pro loses internet on wake up. Never had this before. Thoughts before I reset pram and stuff and reinstall? It’s got nothing on it that I care about. Arq backup rocks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Housh posted:

I've had this happen to me a few times since the latest update on my 2016. Reboot fixes it but ughhhh

I can kill wireless and it’ll reacquire but yeah. Never happened on my 2015.