Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Linx posted:

I'm really liking using Safari on my new Macbook, I honestly thought I'd just install Chrome and be done with it. Anyway, the only thing I really miss from Chrome is that little bar that shows the URL when you hover over a link (I want to say URL inspector?), I've googled around for an extension that emulates this with no success. Anyone know if this exists?

You want this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Karmakazi posted:

Can someone help me out? So I've been an android user for years and all my music was/is purchased through google play. I downloaded google music manager and am attempting to download my music from the cloud. I have 2 options, store in itunes or music folder. I chose the music folder and when I try adding them to my library it won't just scan the folder, it wants me to add everything individually, and I have something like 1100+ songs. Also, I keep getting messages saying certain songs won't download because of no response from server. I thought maybe because the computer was going into sleep mode, which would freeze the currant song downloading and not resume on wake, forcing me to pause and resume. So I'm not letting it sleep, the macbook or the ssd (turned off the let it sleep when possible option. Also is there an easier way to get to my music folder? I'm trying again by choosing itunes for storage and not letting anything sleep screen included, but man this getting annoying.

I didn't have these issues with windows and I'm sure it's operator error somehow.
The songs that time out seem to be random (have tried this like 3 times).

Google music manager's download function is a total shitshow, the "no server response" is applied to random bullshit every time you attempt to download, and the developers responsible should be set on fire. Works fine for getting poo poo into their walled garden, but getting your own music back out of it is as much fun as hitting yourself in the ball sack with a tack hammer.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

smackfu posted:

If it asks you for an admin password, it's probably making GBS threads all over.

I've generally found AppCleaner's pretty good for getting shut of all traces of apps. It's probably missing stuff that I don't know about it, but for a few things it scrapped plists that I didn't know about (and that had been loving with reinstalls).

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

flavor posted:

Hm. Clicking again on the link posted here led me to the same page again, but this time when I clicked on the download link, different software was downloaded. Very interesting.

e: Checked again and earlier it led to "zip-for-mac". Great.

Okay, I've never seen that happen. Bizarre.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

flavor posted:

I didn't end up going through with the installation, but it's also a good case for the app store and against ad-supported websites. Either the ads contain "Download here" links, or the download sites have huge buttons that lead to undesirable software while the one that leads to the actually desired one is about 9 pixels, and then it's all the victim's fault.

Wait, people browse without ad-blockers? Jesus.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Froist posted:

Since upgrading to Yosemite I can't seem to copy large files to my samba-based NAS. Small files seem to work fine, but large (>1gb) copy and then fail at the end with the message "The operation can't be completed because the item "x" is in use.". Anyone else seen this or know of a fix? Covering the obvious, the file isn't open in any app on my Mac, and can't be on the server end as it doesn't exist.

I got this, but scp seemed to work.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Syjefroi posted:

I am only half sure this is a software thing, but I might as well ask: If I have a pdf or set of pdfs I want to send to someone, is there an app or a service that lets the recipient view and print the document, but only once? As opposed to sending a copy of the file, just a way for them to print the file one time.

Are you trying to reinvent the fax machine, in TYOOL 2014?

e: gently caress, newpage. Content.

Oh, yeah. Something that's been bugging me at work. We have a bunch of different vlans set up, each with different firewall rules. Windows gets one vlan, servers get one, VOIP gets one, linux desktops (and macs) another. Now we're moving into running poo poo on VMs. Because people are old and don't want to change how our network's done things since the universe was in black and white, windows VMs are set up with a virtual NIC on the OS-specific vlan. I have a linux box somewhere that runs some Windows VMs, but I'd like to get them running on the mac, so I can support our mac users who want to do the same.

In linux, /etc/network/interfaces gets set up as follows:

code:
auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

auto vlan102
iface vlan102 inet manual
    vlan-raw-device eth0

auto br102
iface br102 inet manual
    bridge_ports vlan102
    bridge_maxwait 0
    bridge_fd 0
    bridge_stp off
All I then have to do is set the VM's mac address and tell it to use br102 as the network device. It does DHCP and PXE-boots to the right server based on that.

I've tried configuring a vlan102 virtual interface off the mac's ethernet interface (en0), but it comes back with a self-assigned IP. I know I'm missing something, but I don't know enough about networking to know what I'm missing; I think what I'm getting from the linux setup is just enough to gently caress things up royally.

What I'm after is a way to get a VM bridged to the outside world that presents with its own MAC address on vlan102, while the mac itself talks to the network on vlan54.

DigitalRaven fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Nov 8, 2014

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Binary Badger posted:

I got scars as in a user lost all of their data (because they forgot the master password) and told everyone how much it sucks.

Whenever anyone gets a mac through us, we mandate FileVault but keep a copy of the recovery key because it's not their personal laptop.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

The only machine I'm having any slowdowns on is a late 2010 macbook air with 4GB of RAM; haven't tried turning transparency off yet since it calms the gently caress down if I leave it for a couple of minutes after opening the lid.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Martytoof posted:

Does the official twitter client balloon out too? I can't say I've ever really had a problem with the bone stock Twitter app and that's what I've been using since forever.

It starts getting really cloggy after about a month of being open, but frankly so will almost anything.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

What the gently caress are you on? Two of those options do the same thing. The third option is already integrated in the previous two options.

Piss off and learn to read. Three options that do three different things.

Here, let me hold your hand through the tricky minefield of reading what the options do:

1) Upload everything in your library to the cloud (with options for what size you want to have locally)

2) Keep a stream of new uploads added from anywhere synced between all iCloud devices, without needing everything to use the cloud photo library. Those uploads go away after a while (30 days), which you'd know if you ever bothered finding out what a feature does rather than whining about it like a spoiled child.

3) Share pictures via the iCloud photo sharing thing, which creates specific galleries that people can subscribe to, which works fine even if you don't use the other two at all.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Maneki Neko posted:

Any recommendations for PDF editing software (extract pages, splitting, merging, etc) for 10.9 that isn't a bajillionty dollars? I've tried pointing family members to using preview for that, but it gets a bit janky.

If you're just splitting/merging/extracting pages, you can do that in Preview.

VVV gently caress. Reading fail.

DigitalRaven fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Feb 9, 2015

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

If you didn't do it with sudo, you're better off because you only have permissions to delete your own poo poo. If you did do it with sudo, you've probably hosed some things in /Applications at the very least. As you didn't use -f, you'll have got a confirmation for every file that you didn't already have write permission to that it tried to delete, only the ones you a) confirmed and b) didn't get "Permission Denied" for will be gone.

e: If you've not deleted anything else, run find / -type d -mtime -1 > modified_folders.txt to find everything that's been deleted, but you'll need recovery software to get it back.

DigitalRaven fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Mar 2, 2015

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

For those who keep forgetting to sudo:

alias gently caress='sudo $(fc -ln -1)'

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Lawen posted:

You can actually do the same thing without an alias using the "!!" built in to repeat the previous command:

$ rm -r ./*
Insufficient Permission
$ sudo !!
sudo rm -r ./*
Password:

(Phone posting but you get the idea)

Well, yes. But the alias I posted works across shells, rather than relying on a bashism (it kinda works in zsh but requires hitting return an extra time and I'm impatient).

% rm -r ./*
Insufficient Permission
% gently caress
sudo rm -r ./*
Password:

Tippis posted:

Wouldn't it be semantically and aesthetically more correct to alias that part then?

Why? At that point all you're aliasing is sudo itself.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Tippis posted:

So you can yell “do it!” at the computer, obviously. :v:

I prefer a command history that contains every element of Scottish punctuation. :colbert:

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Slowhanded posted:

I'm not sure how much faster using Dropbox would be. I keep all my dotfiles on github using dotbot. It automatically symlinks everything for you.

Dotbot makes keeping dot files (and all related stuff like vim plugins) up-to-date into a cinch. If you're already using github (or a similar external upstream), it's a no-brainer. If you're not using github but are in a terminal enough to worry about dotfile consistency, start using github.

Also, I'm assuming everyone using Terminal with any frequency uses iTerm2 already. If not, start.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Kobayashi posted:

I'm moving that way. How do you put dot files in a git repository without the rest of the home directory ending up there? A big rear end .gitignore file?

Stick them in a subdirectory that uses github as a remote, then link the dotfiles to the right places. It's much neater than making your home directory into a repo and only adding a handful of files, and makes things like git status more tolerable.

F'rex, this is what I did before using dotbot (sub in your own essential dotfiles): set up the git repo, move your dotfiles into the git repo, symlink your dotfiles back into place (so future changes made in the repo are mirrored automatically), make an install script that does just that for setting up on a new system.

code:
mkdir ~/git/dotfiles
cd ~/git/dotfiles
git init

mv ~/.bashrc ./bashrc
mv ~/.zshrc ./zshrc
mv ~/.vimrc ./vimrc
mv ~/.vim ./vim

ln -s bashrc ~/.bashrc
ln -s zshrc ~/.zshrc ./zshrc
ln -s vimrc ~/.vimrc ./vimrc
ln -s vim ~/.vim ./vim

cat <<EOT >>install.sh
#! /usr/bin/env bash
rm ~/.bashrc
rm ~/.zshrc
rm ~/.vimrc
rm ~/.vim
ln -s ~/git/dotfiles/bashrc ~/.bashrc
ln -s ~/git/dotfiles/zshrc ~/.zshrc ./zshrc
ln -s ~/git/dotfiles/vimrc ~/.vimrc ./vimrc
ln -s ~/git/dotfiles/vim ~/.vim ./vim
EOT

git add .
git commit -m "First set of dotfiles"

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

nosl posted:

I literally just vomited. Why not just copy them with the cp command instead of using mv which destroys the original file? Then you create symbolic links to link back? Disgusting. There is a lot of unnecessary typing in there as well. All around, just bad... I don't understand why you'd want to relocate your actual dotfiles out of ~/ and then smlink them back.. seems utterly pointless, and honestly you're just making a mess out of home.

I'm sorry you're an idiot who doesn't understand source control or symlinks.

I mean, really? SCP? How stupid do you have to be to think it's even vaguely comparable to SVN, let alone git?

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

If you're just after Google Play Music, I've had a good time with omplayer; it hooks in to the media keys so you don't forget that you're using a browser, hit pause, and have whatever's in iTunes start up. http://www.mifki.com/omplayer/

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Alfred, as mentioned. Caffeine to selectively prevent screen lock.

Everything else depends on what you use the machine for; my essentials would include:

iTerm2 if you do anything in a terminal ever.

Textmate if you do any text editing (e.g. scripting, programming).

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

vtlock posted:

I recommend Keeping You Awake as a modern/updated Caffeine alternative: https://github.com/newmarcel/KeepingYouAwake

Okay, hadn't realised that I needed a new Caffeine, but that icon is reason enough to upgrade. Cheers!

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

tuyop posted:

How about Scrivener vs. Ulysses II?

I'd love to get into an integrated solution for academic writing, though I think I depend on Evernote's web clipper too much and Google Docs has really been good enough for everything except final draft formatting since I started using it six years ago.

I've used Scrivener for all my published writing over the past six years or so. I'm at the point where it'd take me months longer to complete a draft without it. I took a look at Ulysses, but I do too much with features that Ulysses doesn't have (e.g. the corkboard) to make the jump.

That said, pick one that you prefer and use it. Don't spend ages trying to decide between the two. The only way to write is to write, and prevaricating is a subset of "not writing".

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Zwille posted:

How, besides copy & paste? Or is that what you meant? A script or plugin or something would be neat.

Straight drag & drop always worked for me when I used Evernote.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Laserface posted:

OK so this is hosed.

My Asus EEE machine from 8 years ago can transfer a 100MB folder of MP3s from my NAS to its local storage in under a minute.

the same process via my 2011 iMac on the same connection, 2.4 or 5ghz takes about 5 minutes.

transferring the same folder back to the NAS takes 2 min on the EEE and doesnt even initialise on the iMac - it just sits there preparing forever and then eventually times out with a -36 error.

is OSX just absolutely garbage at wireless file transfer? You'd want to hope that they had this under control before deleting all the loving ports on the new macbook.

Error -39 indicates something's hosed on your file system, either locally or remotely (my money's on local). Verify the disk in Disk Utility.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

flosofl posted:

It was error code -36. It's usually fixed with:
code:
dot_clean /Path/To/Directory/With/Problem/
Here's a good write-up of how to fix.

http://osxdaily.com/2015/02/21/fix-error-code-36-finder-mac-os-x/

I typo'd the number, -36 is the general "something to do with your disk is hosed."

dot_clean can work, but it's worth noting that it isn't a silver bullet.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

carry on then posted:

TotalTerminal is great, too (and free.)

What does it do that iTerm doesn't??

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Good riddance, discoveryd.

I am only sorry discoveryd doesn't have a grave, because I wanted to piss on it.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I see the OS X update (and GarageBand) on the update page but apparently one didn't download right so now my computer is on a loop of "restart computer to install update" -> "there are new updates" - "Restart computer to install updates" x infinity.

Rebooting didn't seem to have done anything.

I'm in the same boat; going to download & install the combo update linked upthread.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

I'm considering transitioning from Mail/Calendar to Outlook on my work machine, mostly because how our central IT team have set up O365 calendaring means Calendar can't see anyone else's calendar.

Couple of questions:

* Can I add an account just for an Exchange calendar, no related email? We have an odd setup (blame legacy systems) where some staff have Exchange as their only email and others have IMAP with an Exchange account for calendaring. Emails get forwarded Exchange->IMAP automatically, so I see everything in the IMAP account but only half in the Exchange account, and I find the duplication really goddamn annoying.

* Can I display multiple messages in the reading pane in conversation view (as Mail does), rather than a list of messages and that only displays one at a time? Being able to scroll back through a conversation is more natural to me than having to cherry-pick individual emails.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Binary Badger posted:

So, anybody noticed that Secure Empty Trash has disappeared from the Finder in El Capitan?

You can do 'srm' from Terminal or get Cocktail El Capitan edition to secure empty the trash, but nothing was as elegant as that simple old Finder menu choice..

Yeah. It doesn't work for SSDs and USB disks because of the abstraction layer that presents flash storage as equivalent to spinnydisks; as most macs ship with flash storage now it's offering a false sense of security. Secure Empty Trash had a recovery rate of 67% on SSDs, and 10% on USB devices.

srm can work for SSDs (though it's still got a recovery rate of ~5% of the original data), but is useless on USB (recovery rate >70%).

True secure data erasure on flash devices won't happen until we abandon the abstraction layer that treats them like spinnydisks.

Paper here

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

The rear end Stooge posted:

95% of Mac apps can be uninstalled by dragging the icon from the Applications folder to the trash. If you want to be really thorough about it, go into ~/Library/Application Support and delete its associated folder. Adobe software is an anomaly in how it shits stuff all over the place.

AppCleaner does a more thorough sweep than just .app and Application Support. I've used it since 10.4, and it's never let me down. The latest version has a neat feature where it'll detect when you move an app to the trash (when AppCleaner's quit) and will offer to clean up all the other files. It's kinda great.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

My mac mini started freaking out about five hours ago. Pretty much everything — typing, clicking, mouseovers, etc. — takes upwards of 30 seconds to register, the rest of the time it's beachballs all the way down. A restart didn't do anything — from cold, I've normally got a browser up and responsive in ~5 minutes (it's a spinnydisk with FileVault on, doing lots of backend stuff like running a plex server from a mapped NAS). This time, it took 45 minutes to render Safari, and 60 from boot for it to register clicks.

According to all my system monitoring tools, nothing is going crazy. Processor usage is ~3% of one core; 3GB memory usage (of 16GB), nothing thrashing the disk. Nothing activity monitor can show me is going mental, nothing stands out in top (getting a terminal up took >15 minutes, though). I tried running sysdiagnose, but everything it runs is timing out. The machine's slow as all poo poo for no reason that I can tell.

The thing that's pissing me off is that there wasn't any precipitating event that I can identify. I wasn't running anything I wouldn't normally run, or doing anything I haven't done a thousand times before. I run ublock and Ghostery and don't have Flash installed. No new software in ~6 months.

Damnit, this poo poo is my day job, I neither want nor need to deal with it at home.

I know the ultimate solution is to jack it and replace with an SSD, but I can't afford to do that until the new year. I'm lucky in that I have a laptop that I can use in the meantime if the box really is hosed, but still...

Fake edit: Trying to check SMART status in disk utility, but it's 45 minutes and it's still not loving showing anything. I've doubts that it is the disk, simply because the slowdown is affecting everything, not just things that touch the disk.

Real edit: After an hour, SMART status is fine; nothing wrong with the disk.

DigitalRaven fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Dec 7, 2015

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Cheers. Trying to grab SMART Utility now; did an SMC reset in the meantime and no change.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

BobHoward posted:

Thirding that this sounds like a dying drive regardless of SMART info. Open Console.app and search for the string "I/O error", if you're getting any of that it's a bad disk (or disk cable).

edit: a lack of this doesn't rule out disk problems, at some stages of death they're bad enough to take a shitload of time to read data (due to having to retry a bunch of times, and remapping bad sectors) but not yet bad enough to return an i/o error code instead of completing the read.

Between I/O errors in the console logs and the much better info provided by SMARTUtility, I've got confirmation that the main drive's hosed. Luckily the second drive is still alive.

gently caress. Lucky I've got a laptop to be getting on with.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Binary Badger posted:

From what I understand, updating with encryption on is fine for minor releases, like 10.11.2 to 10.11.3, but not fine for going from 10.9.5 to 10.10.5, for example.

Cobblers. Upgrading major versions with FileVault is fine.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

It's new to 9.0, as far as I can tell.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Krispy Kareem posted:

None of you guys know the fresh hell that is installing a second HD in a Mac Mini.

I put a 128gb SSD in there back when those were about $150. I really need more storage, but there's now way I'm ever opening that thing up again.

Did that when I got the Mac Mini, then had to swap the primary disk for an SSD when it shat the bed. I've had a harder time with small form factor HPs.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Bill Barber posted:

Dunno how recent of a thing this is (I'd assume it has to do with the new trackpads with pressure sensitive touches) but I just realized that Safari has a peek feature when clicking on links. (Note I'm using BTT with the "Look Up Word Under Cursor" setting, but apparently when I use it on a link it pops open a preview).

EDIT: This feature has probably been around for a while, I guess I'm just more surprised that I can trigger it without a new touchpad by using BTT.

"Look up word under cursor" has done that for links for a few versions of Safari now; for those without a flash new trackpad it's a three-finger tap by default.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Choadmaster posted:

I think you need iButt Keychain turned on for that to work but don't quote me on that.

As for ad blockers, people seem to rave about 1Blocker for some reason but I've been trying it the past few weeks (both iOS and Mac) and it's been pretty disappointing IMO. I'll probably go back to uBlock even though it hasn't been updated in forever, unless someone else has a good suggestion...

1Blocker is good on iOS, but a wet fart on macOS compared to something like uBlock.