Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

ConfusedUs posted:

Hey, I just ordered a SSD for my new MBP. I can't remember how big Mountain Lion is to do a fresh install. 8GB?

According to the App Store page it's 4.07GB. Not sure if that's just the installer though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
I love hearing Apple stories :allears:

I haven't heard many negative Apple Store experiences.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
What's the recommended Mac RSS app? I'm thinking of picking up Reeder right now as it's what I use on my iPhone.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Should I be downloading GIMP or Pixelmator for my image editing needs? I'm pretty new to image image editing in general and I'm looking for something retina ready and easy to use. Other suggestions welcome

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Lexicon posted:

Oh God.... definitely Pixelmator.

Any particular reason why? It does look pretty good though.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Oh My Science posted:

Gimp is nice, but the UI is a pain in the rear end and it requires X11 to install (last time I checked).

Oh My Science posted:

Gimp is nice, but the UI is a pain in the rear end and it requires X11 to install (last time I checked).

Alright. I'll go for Pixelmator then seeing as how it's pretty cheap.

What's a good site for retina wallpapers? (13" if that changes your reccomendations)

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Is there anyway to set a keyboard shortcut or something similar to change resolution on a rMBP?

I have a 13" so it's nice to have the extra space when I want to browse the web and view Twitter 'simultaneously' but for general use i prefer the retina setting.

Edit: Also what does it mean by "Using a scaled resolution may affect performance"? I've just noticed that and now I'm paranoid

101 fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Dec 29, 2012

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Yep, all the animations seem fine to me. It's really useful to have this option available. Some great uses for it.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Montalvo posted:

I know there's a Chrome thread, but this might get some more attention here. Does anyone have issues with Chrome freezing up and forcing a hard reboot of the whole Macbook on OS X 10.8.2?

It happened to me once. What was weird is that I could still move my mouse but no gestures or clicks worked. I rebooted it and installed the beta version straight away. I haven't had the problem again and like to know I'm on the semi-cutting edge (Canary might be a step too far)

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Bob Morales posted:

It's only $20 now.

Never underestimate how cheap some people are.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

evil_bunnY posted:

Do you think $20 is what's holding those leopard users back?

Nope, that's probably hardware but I really have no idea. Just conjecture.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Is there anyway for me to set fn + power to put the rMBP to sleep? As of right now I have to hit fn + option + command + power and I run the risk of miss-hitting and turning the thing straight off with fn + control + option + command + power button

I tried setting using automator but i have no idea what I'm doing :argh:

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

smax posted:

Why do complicated keystroke combinations when you can just hit the power button then the letter S?

I wasn't aware that was an option. Thank you

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

carry on then posted:

:ssh: There's no eject key on the rMBP.

Yep, that was my original problem. At least power + s is quick and simple

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

crazysim posted:

edit: Just tested. Option Command Power sleeps the computer in ML on a rMBP. No fn needed.

So it does, thanks.

On an unrelated topic:

Could anyone help me out on how to use this 4chan thread downloader? It comes as a .pro file. I tried following the instructions on the last comment but it's lost on me. It'd be greatly appreciated.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Experto Crede posted:

As stated above, it's a build file for Qt projects.

Here, I compiled the latest version for you as a .app: https://www.dropbox.com/s/t4b441xcarapptz/4chan.zip

I appreciate it but when trying to launch it I get this error message

I'm on 10.8.2

Is this just a general thing with the app or the version you compiled it on?

Edit: No idea why they made the app such :effort: to use. Apparently everyone on 4chan knows how to compile

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Experto Crede posted:

I forgot to include the qt libraries :doh:

Download the 4.8 (Version I used) library for OS X here

As for it being a ballache, well, there's a premade windows build and they probably assume unix users can suss out getting QT up and running. Plus they don't like "macfags"

Thanks a bunch :)

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Yes! Steam has finally added 'partial' retina support. It's better than nothing.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I didn't realize that MPlayerX gave up on the Mac App Store, so my installed version was a bit old. Just thought I'd mention it in here in case anyone's relying on the MAS version like I was.

I've been on the latest version for a while but is the two finger horizontal swipe 'stuttery' for anyone else? I've had to disable it, it was so bad.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Any good simple image resizers? Resolution and file size if possible.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
What does Photoshop have over cheaper/free solutions like GIMP and Pixelmator?
Genuinely curious as $190 seems ridiculous to me but I'm not a pro :shrug:

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

cbirdsong posted:

GIMP is a joke. Pixelmator is a fine app, but it's got a much more limited feature scope than Photoshop. And, in this guy's case, you don't hired because you know how to use Pixelmator.

Fair enough. I don't tend to use GIMP as it's rather ugly.

Bob Morales posted:

Google 'GIMP vs Photoshop'. They aren't even in the same league.

According to this test Pixelmator isn't too far behind. GIMP didn't do well at all though.

quote:

Conclusion
Photoshop is the overall winner, but Pixelmator is very close behind. GIMP didn’t put on a great show.

General users, amateur designers, and amateur photographers should get Pixelmator. It has lots of great standard-level features; a decent selection of pro-level features; and is a beautiful, fast app.

Professional designers and photographers should get Photoshop. It has all the professional features that Pixelmator lacks, and the user experience is entirely acceptable.

Really, GIMP isn’t the best choice for anyone. Its feature set is acceptable, but its interface and sometimes-lackluster results mean that it’s slow and frequently painful to use. Even if you’re on a tight budget, Pixelmator is well worth the money.

Edit:

Experto Crede posted:

Over pixelmator at least, it offers CMYK based editing, very important for print work. Plus photoshop has a much stronger layer editing system.

Plus at this point photoshop is pretty much a defacto standard, so a lot of companies stick with it to ease sending files about.
Ah, I can see that being pretty important for professional use.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
On an unrelated topic is there any way to see if an app is retina without DLing it on the App Store?

I'm specifically wondering about Wren

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Have done, thanks. It'd be nice to have a permanent solution though. Like the

quote:

Optimised for iPhone 5
on the iOS App Store.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

serebralassazin posted:

Have you tried Xee? Pretty awesome image viewer.

I find it makes images look really odd on the rMBP so I've been using a trial of Lyn

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Toe Rag posted:

Is there a way I can clean this menu up? I don't have multiple versions installs of the listed software, so I'm not sure why multiple show up.

Had to do this last night.

Assuming you're on 10.5+ enter this into Terminal

code:
/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Frameworks/LaunchServices.framework/Support/lsregister
 -kill -r -domain local -domain system -domain user

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Is there any way to have the Macs select multiple files and right click, then create a folder in Windows? Annoying to highlight multiple things and then have no way to do anything with them :(

Not entirely sure if this is the right place for this question, but it should be a quick solution

Edit:
Wowowowow

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Abjad Soup posted:

If you're on Mountain Lion, then the exact option you want is exactly where you thought it would be: the first contextual menu item on a multi-item selection in the Finder is "New Folder with Selection (# items)". I had the same peeve in 10.6 but found it's there in 10.8 (no idea about 10.7 as I skipped it entirely).

carry on then posted:

It's there in 10.7.

I know, I love that feature. I was asking if I can get it in Windows

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Have done, thanks

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Windows 8 gets a Twitter client. When can we get Twitter for Mac back? :(

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Xenomorph posted:

Get it back? Is it gone?

I've used Twitter for both Mac OS X and Windows 8, and the Mac OS X client is a LOT better.

I couldn't find Lists on the Windows 8 app, and it is of course full-screen. The one for Mac OS X just runs in a little window and lets me view my lists.

They discontinued it just as a retina update was about to be released. It was completely ready to update but they refused to release it to get everyone to use the website.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

I'll try it now.

carry on then posted:

Tweetbot is also good, just expensive.

I own it, despite loving the iOS version I really can't stand the Mac version :shrug:

gregday posted:

There's an unofficial Retina-ready build of the Twitter app. I can't seem to find it now, but PM me and I'll get it to you.

Thanks but I already have it. It's just annoying that there's no more official support and the bits at the side still look like poo poo

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Kalix posted:

I have Sparrow but I wonder if there is something better out there beyond it. I mostly use Gmail in browser, but wondering if I'm missing out on something.

If you like the Gmail web interface, Mailplane would be perfect for you.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

gmq posted:

Maybe the demo sucks but I didn't find it that useful vs Spotlight, am I missing something?

It's not a demo, it's the full thing. It's just really customisable. Go to the feature tab in the options and have a gander.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Neurophonic posted:

Do you mean Postbox?

Nah, it's some good old Mac software

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

fookolt posted:

Is there a keyboard shortcut to quickly lock the computer? In Windows, it's just WIN-L.

If you have Alfred (which I highly recommend regardless) you can just type lock into it.

Edit: I know that's not really what you're asking, but I'm not aware of a keyboard shortcut and thought I'd share how I handled quickly locking my poo poo.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
I've never tried word for Mac but I find Pages absolutely fantastic, well worth the £13.99 IMO.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
I think you're looking for f.lux

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Adium seems great, and suits my needs.

Edit: Not sure how "lightweight" it is but it certainly doesn't tax my Mac.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Just came to play some Half Life 2 on my Macbook Pro and every time I hit shift (to sprint) it brings up the overlay. I have it set to Shift+TAB, I checked and checked and checked again. The TAB key's not stuck down either. Any ideas on how to fix this?