Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

KarmaticStylee posted:

When I try to Air Play streaming video from my rMPB to my Apple TV, I get about 3-5 minutes of lag. *Maybe* I will see 2-3 frames every 5 minutes. Any ideas what the issue could be?

Is your Internet connection terrible?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

BiG TrUcKs !!! posted:

Does anyone use Launchpad? It seems so intrusive how it just fills my whole screen, I still vastly prefer clicking my application folder next to the trash.

I use it. I have BTT set on it being three fingers down though, I can't do the default one to save my life.

Most of the time I use Alfred, anyway :shrug:

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

empty baggie posted:

With gestures, Launchpad is awesome, but without a trackpad it's pretty much useless.

Eh, I prefer it to the dashboard. I never use that.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
What's a combo update? I'm scratching my head here

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Sprat Sandwich posted:

When you install the update from the App Store, know as a delta update, it requires the previous version installed as it only includes the changes made in the newest version. The combo update includes all the changes made before and including the newest version (i.e. the 10.8.4 combo includes 10.8.1, 10.8.2, 10.8.3 and 10.8.4).

Ah, thanks.

You learn something new every day.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Duckman2008 posted:

Unheard about this, but unsurprisingly the stock mail client sucks. Suggestions on the best app for email on mac? I have gmail.

I use Mailplane because my email use is exclusively Gmail. It's fantastic.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Does anyone have a solution for YouTube comments being buggy in Safari?
I've tried:
  • Factory reseting the browser
  • Launching in 32-bit mode
  • Launching in low resolution mode
YouTube comments still look like this

I know YouTube comments are usually complete poo poo anyway, but this is still annoying me enough to use Chrome

Model:

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Not really ideal :cheeky:

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Duckman2008 posted:

The trackpad seems less responsive. Anyone else notice this?

Yep, scrolling seems weird (read 'different')

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

diehlr posted:

What's with the two-finger scrolling acceleration in Mavericks? It's almost as if it's nonexistent until you cross a certain threshold. Prior releases would ramp up acceleration gradually as the speed of your two-finger swipe increased.

Xabi posted:

I've noticed the same thing and it's somewhat irritating.

Yep, this is really pissing me off.

I contacted Apple Support and they gave me a list of things to do when I restart my Mac and it didn't help

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Winszton posted:

I'm trying to find an email program that will display my Gmail inbox the same way that the web interface does: Starred at the top, then unread, then everything else.
Airmail and others let me click a button to see starred or unread, but I can't seem to find a program which will just have them one after another like that by default.

MailPlane

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

dexter6 posted:

I want to enable the thing that exists in Windows where, if I have two docs open, I can drag one to the left and one to the right and see them side by side, each taking up 50% of the window. I think BTT did this, but is there any piece of standalone software that does ONLY this?

BTT also have a piece of software called BST (better snap tool)

Oneiros posted:

<edit> Late but with a link!

One upped!

101 fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Dec 3, 2013

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

DarkestLite posted:

Last thing for now, use the default mail client for Gmail?

I reccomend MailPlane but it's expensive for what it is

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

GokieKS posted:

can you middle click a tab to close it w/o relying on external extensions yet?

I did not know this was a thing. No more CMD+W :holy:

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
I can call and receive texts on the public beta with the iOS GM

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
You can temporarily turn it off/bring it back by holding the shift key

I'm just gonna keep it off though

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Is there any way to access the Messages quick reply from the notification centre?

Like after the banner has gone. It's a lot easier and smoother than having it switch me across desktops to Messages.app and then I have to switch back to what I was doing.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

LPG Giant posted:

I use NoSleep. But it's not really perfect: it still sleeps after a while.

I used forum favorites Caffeine and Amphetamine before, but they were even worse.

That's not what Caffeine did. It kept your screen from dimming and the computer from sleeping while the screen was on. I use KeepingYouAwake for that now, since Caffeine hasn't been updated in a long time (it's not even retina)

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

enojy posted:

Does Caffeine/Amphetamine no longer work in El Capitan or something? I'm trying to download a large file via... some sort of download software (Microsoft's Dreamspark -- torrent? Who knows) and Amphetamine didn't seem to keep my Macbook awake for it.

I use this now. Way nicer icon, works great and is still getting updated.

That's what I get for not checking for a next page.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Mu Zeta posted:

Daring Fireball is saying that OSX is probably going to be renamed to macOS soon. RIP X.

I can definitely get behind this

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

tuyop posted:

I thought cleanmymac was obvious garbage adware. Is this not the case?

Nope. It's actually a pretty useful and well designed utility (at least in my experience)

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

flosofl posted:

While the rules list will keep being updated as long as the 3rd party lists are, uBlock on OS X is no longer being worked on last I heard.

uBlock for Safari isn't, as far as I know, but uBlock Origin for Chrome and Firefox still is

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Cyne posted:

I think 60fps video looks like complete garbage and I can't really figure out why it's become so popular in certain circles. I have a background in video production though so I'm probably more sensitive to that stuff than most people.

I can't say I really notice it in YouTube videos. I find that the 60FPS videos are usually shot really nicely and with a good camera though (see MKBHD)

101 fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Aug 12, 2016

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
I never saw the high frame rate Hobbit. Kinda wish I would have just I could decide either way if I like it or not

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
It seems kind of strange to me that with all the Mac developers no one has ported and maintained uBlock for Safari

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

EL BROMANCE posted:

I have the opposite problem in my house, my phone loves to cling to the 5ghz signal and when I go to bed it struggles to keep the connection when there's a perfectly good 2.4 it could jump to.

If it's your own house you can separate them out by naming them 'Network Name 2G' and 'Network Name 5G' respectively.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Binary Badger posted:

However it won't be a choice in Mojave..

Wait what happens to existing Boot Camps?

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

It's out

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Housh posted:

Is there a macOS app like Desk chat on Win10? Basically an application wrapper for the Facebook messenger website.

I use Goofy personally cause it's attractive, free/open source, and has a dark mode.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Generic Monk posted:

how do you enable the dark mode?

Sorry I was thinking of Caprine which is a very similar product but actually seems to be seeing some more love from its dev based on their respective GitHubs. Might try this one out again to match Mojave

Housh posted:

This is perfect. Wish there was a Win10 version too.

Caprine also has a Windows version if you wanna give that a try

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Generic Monk posted:

fwiw i solved this by just using the app from the telegram.org website rather than the app store version which seems to be completely hosed

Are you sure it wasn't just because Telegram went down yesterday?

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Roadie posted:

I've mostly avoided subscription apps so far because it seems like any of the ones that I was previously interested in also switched to a molasses-slow update schedule

1Password continues to be a wonderful application and I'm happy that I can use it on any platform I want while supporting ongoing development (and it's own sync service)

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Any idea how I can get Word to reopen windows after I quit it like every other Mac app instead of either the template picker or a blank document (all I could seem to change digging around it's preferences)

I gave the latest Office365 version

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Axiem posted:

I want Office Applications to work the same way as my other editors: to restore back to the state the application was in when I Quit it.

For example, I open TextMate, and then open a file. I collapse and expand some things in it, and scroll down to a particular line. I command-Q to quit the app. An hour later, I run TextMate again; the same things are expanded/collapsed as earlier, and I start with my cursor on the same line I was on before.

I'm fine if Word doesn't bring me back to the same line I was editing, but I want it to automatically open the things I had open last time!

:hmmyes:

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Face ID is about 1,000,000x better than Touch ID ever was imo. If the 11 Pro has the iPad Pro's angles and makes it work when you're lying down then it'll be pretty much perfect

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Data Graham posted:

Really kinda sucks if you want to unlock your phone but can't look at it (you're driving, it's in your pocket, etc)

It unlocks from my mount in my car and what's the use case for unlocking your phone in your pocket??

Yup^^

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Bob Morales posted:

Gmail in a browser window :q:

Mailplane is this but better

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

brap posted:

So is there an emoji software keyboard for Mac that provides completions by name like the Telegram desktop apps do?

I'm not entirely sure if this is what you're asking for but I use it and it's pretty great

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Crunchy Black posted:

No, fusion drives are no longer an available SKU from Apple directly.

That's not true. You can still get an iMac with one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Clark Nova posted:

I was briefly considering getting a used or refurb iMac and replacing the slow, terrible 5400rpm drive with a big cheap SSD, then i looked up a video on how to get the hard drive out :stare:

You could always use an external SSD