Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Jolan posted:

Right, how do you add Bluetooth devices in Mavericks? My keyboard didn't want to connect anymore so I removed it from the Bluetooth list. The Apple support article says to click the plus-icon on the Bluetooth menu in System Prefs to add it again, but that button's not there.

I've never paired devices like that.

Open Bluetooth in System Prefs. Start the pairing process on your keyboard (for Apple just turn it on, an unpaired keyboard will immediately start the pairing beacon). Wait for it to show up in the list of devices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

FordPRefectLL posted:

I am hoping this is maybe the right place to ask:

I am in a Linux Administration class. I created an OpenSUSE 13.3 VM using Vmware Player in Windows. I have a Macbook Air and would like to work in my VM (which is installed on a thumb drive) in OSX. What app would I use to be able to do this?

On OSX, either VMWare Fusion or Parallels will open a VMX.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Pivo posted:

In my experience, OS X builds of most games unfortunately perform way worse in OS X than in Windows. :/

A lot of that is because OS X is not a target platform for the development builds for a large amount of the software out there. For AAA titles that have an OS X port, it's usually someone like Code Weavers or Aspyr wrapping a Win compatible library around the executable. It's not emulation, but it's not exactly native either.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Phoenixan posted:

Yeah, I will say, I still wouldn't use a Mac as a primary gaming machine. I've played a few of my Steam games on it, and they've handled well enough, but my home setup still amounts to working in OSX & gaming on a separate Windows machine.

100% agree. I have a PC desktop I made *just* for gaming.

Everything else, running my home test lab, doing security research, dev work, and running VMs... all happens on my rMBP. I also have a mac mini running server for a VPN when I'm out and about and managing my NAS boxes and an iMAC for music studio stuff. But for gaming? Custom PC running Win7.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

dik-dik posted:

What's the best adblocker for safari?

I've had no complaints with AdBlock.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Pivo posted:

My laptop has crazy high resolution so I zoom all the time just so I can see the poo poo through squinted blood-shot hungover eyes.

I do it in Chrome though, I don't know. Works just fine for me.

Is Chrome a retina application? Does it have teeny-tiny fonts when you use it with a maxed out screen? (I never tried, I just use Safari on my 15" rMBP)

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Zartans Lady Mask posted:

Is there a way to control my Mac Mini via a Harmony remote? I don't need cursor control, but just want to be able to trigger a script or keyboard shortcut via IR or bluetooth.

It looks like Remote Buddy can do this, but want to know if there's a better, free-er way to approach it.

Depends on what you want to do. If you are just looking to replicate the Apple Remote functions, the there's already a hardware profile for that in the Harmony application.

If you want to launch extended functions, your going to need a program on the Mac that can listen to the IR port and execute different functions. By itself, OS X will only act on or signals that match the Apple Remote (which is only 6 or 7)

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Thanks Ants posted:

Is there a current flavour of the month as far as backup software goes? Looking to do disk-to-disk backups of Mac OS X running Server.app and some file shares, so something that can do OpenDirectory backups etc. would be good. Time Machine sort of has the right idea but it's not flexible as far as scheduling goes, email alerts etc.

Have you looked at Super Duper? I use it on my rMBP, and that program has saved my rear end, more than once. If you do disk-to-disk with it, you can boot off the backup created. Once a week I run a "smart" backup and it makes the backup disk mirror my live disk. For incremental, I use Time Machine with a network drive for going back in time to get older versions of documents and such.

I run OS X Server on a mini, but since I only use it for the VPN server and to mount my old ripped-DVD collection these days, I'm OK with just a regular time machine. When you say you want Open Directory backups, are you referring to being able to access the directory structure within the backup and restoring only certain entries? I'm not sure of any consumer solution that will do this. You can always drop an inquiry to the guy that makes Super Duper, he's usually pretty responsive.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Thanks Ants posted:

Nah it would just be a roll back, which I can sort of achieve with file-based backup using Bender to dump the config files. It would be nice to just have a system state (bootable) backup which is aware that things like OpenDirectory exist when it backs them up though.

The issue I have with CCC is trying to dump multiple disks to one location because it just does a folder-level copy, rather than copying to a disk image or anything like that, so it overwrites any folders named the same. In hindsight I should have created individual partitions, but it's a bit late for that.

I think Super Duper might do it for you, as it will do a bitwise copy if you want and then mount it and do incrementals/differentials against it if you want. The "smart" option I think just makes sure the main backup is a mirror. Sounds like a rotation of bitwise image followed by incremental/differential on a weekly or monthly basis might be what you need.

e: By that I meant, you do a full image every week or month and incrementals daily.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

What's the best way to stream from a MbPro to AppleTV? Any time I use airplay it gets a little choppy and de synchs from the audio.

I'm assuming wireless. My first guess is going to be RF issues (although since that's what I do for a living, it can narrow my vision). What band are you on? 2.4GHz (b/g/n) or 5GHz? Do you live in an apt/dorm or fairly dense neighborhood? You may be suffering from channel overlap or duty cycle saturation.

Barring that, both OS X and iOS on atv up to date?
What's the file format?
/
If you can, you can also import into iTunes on the MBP and then use Home Sharing. It may do a better job of buffering.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Sep 15, 2014

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Martytoof posted:

Definitely seems better on first impression.

The installer is so weird though. Timer was WAY off for me. It did the recovery partition quick enough, and then it rebooted and said 16 minutes to update the OS, at which point it spun for like one minute and then faded into my desktop. At first I was like "... wait, did the update fail?"

Perhaps it's doing that "I'm working in the background, but there's no reason you can't use all the stuff that's ready. Just don't use whatever obscure stuff (that I haven't told you) I'm still updating, or I may puke" type of update.

On the one hand "Yay! Unobtrusive!"

On the other "Boo! Tell me what you're doing!"

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

The home share works fine, thanks for the tip. I also realized the sound de-synching is due to the sound coming from the macbook instead of the tv like it would when air psyching my iPad. Is this a setting somewhere to fix?

Glad to hear home share worked.

That's weird on the sound. The only thing I can think of is to check your sound settings in System Prefs and see if there's anything in there that might be over-riding where the sound goes.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Roadie posted:

OS X Server is more for stuff with user accounts, calendars and emails, IM, etc across a single organization, not so much public web stuff. Just use MAMP or something for the website part.

I bought Lion Server (and then the subsequent versions) for the VPN server. It dead simple to set up and I get an IPSec VPN to connect all my iDevices and laptop to when I'm out and about or on vacation. It's definitely worth *every* penny for that when DefCon is one of the environments and you want to use the internet with your iPhone of iPad.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Ahz posted:

What's the easiest and cheapest app/program for syncing files across Macs on the network?

Is there a decent app that isn't too bloated? Or should I just script up some rsync?

Get some kind of shell for rsync. They're out there, but I can't vouch for how good they are.

Personally, I ended up buying Chronosync a while ago, because I really just wanted something I could set and forget. I use it to sync files from the NAS my OS X server and my various other computers use to a big ol' 4 TB RAID 5 LG NAS. I know it's not a "real" backup solution, but it makes me feel better to have redundant local copies. The "oh poo poo, my life would be ruined without these files" live encrypted on various cloud storage solutions. they are a surprisingly small number of files, but I can rebuild everything vital I'd need from them.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Xabi posted:

Also, I think I read here some time ago that you could choose how many times the disk would get written over, and thus "safely" delete everything - but I can't find anything of the sort on the page mentioned above. Is it necessary, and if so, how do we do it?

Is that an option in Disk Utility? If it is, really one pass is all that's necessary. While DoD specs specify 7 passes, it's been found one pass of all zeros renders data recovery highly improbable for all but the most expensive methods, and even then it's a crap shoot what's able to be recovered.

For the selling of the consumer device, one pass should be fine.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Pompous Rhombus posted:

I recently upgraded to an SSD/Mavericks, and now my scanner is hosed.

I get an "Unable to create a work folder on the current disk, therefore the work folder will be returned to the default location" when I try to use Epson Scan (have downloaded the latest, Mavericks approved version from Epson), program won't start. Tried repairing disk permissions in Disk Utility, first time it caught a bunch, now there's nothing and it still gives me the same error message. Did "get info" and made sure it had full read/write permissions, still not working. Anyone have any ideas?

VueScan is your friend. It works with a *ton* of scanners and the author is constantly updating it with new scanners.

They have a support model typically found in the Enterpise $30 for free upgrades for a year (usually means around 3 updates) or $79 for lifetime updates. Personally, I have the lifetime update. I like the piece of mind that I can buy whatever scanner I want and knowing it will just loving work.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

tinaun posted:

Is there any way to manipulate files in iCloud drive through the terminal?

If it's mounted as a volume in OS X, then you should be able to get to it under /Volumes I would think. Unless the mount point has changed. Or Apple in their infinite wisdom hid the mount from us plebes.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

smackfu posted:

Very powerful but boy that UI is terrible. It's just a big stack of dropdowns.

That's cross platform development for you when it's just one guy. One GUI toolkit to rule them all.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

GENDERWEIRD GREEDO posted:

I'm sticking with 1password but I'm just waiting for them to come up with another excuse to make me pay $15 ($30+ I think for OSX/Windows?) for an up-to-date app to support new hardware features.

I love 1password personally, and I think it was nice for the move from 4 to 5 for previous owners of 4 on iOS to get the pro features with the upgrade. I love the integration with OS X and (somewhat) Windows across everything. A nice feature is also the software license vault, keeping all my bank and CC account details at my fingertips. I use that app quite a bit.

However, a lot of those features are not going to be a necessity for me what with the App Store keeping track of software purchases and handling licensing, and Passbook/Apply Pay, even keychain stuff in Safari. All that would be left is a storage for passwords I need for work systems. And honestly another paid update from them will be when I move off their platform and on to something free like Lastpass that works *almost* as well.

That being said, I still think I got every penny's worth of value from what I paid for that software over the years.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

fleshweasel posted:

What's a good method to back up and restore Windows partitions that doesn't involve pay software? Not really interested in paying for something I will only use once every few years if that.

If your just looking for a barebones disk/partition imager, Clonezilla works.

Marcium appears to be pretty popular as well. Never used it so I can't say.

None of these will do incrementals or diffs though.

I use Carbon Copy Cloner for my game rig. It's fairly full featured, but it does cost $40. However, it's pretty painless to set up to backup to a NAS RAID. And it restores in a snap as well. I think you can even make a bootable backup similar to how you can for the Mac using SuperDuper.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

I'm just posting to see if anyone has ever experienced this.

I was using my rMBP (13" late 2012). I'm running Mavericks with latest updates applied. Programs on load are dropbox, 1password, 1keyboard, and Better Snap Tool. Except for Better Snap Tool, all of those had been installed months ago. Better Snap Tool was installed last week.

I used the computer earlier today to read this forum over lunch. After work I suddenly found my trackpad would no longer register single finger click. And keyboard short cuts no longer worked. The laptop did not sleep and was plugged into power (I worked from home today). I manually rebooted the laptop and got to my account logon screen. Again no single click, no keyboard. I tested the caps lock and it lit up. I reloaded again and this time I could select my user on my logon screen but then back to single click and keyboard not working. Subsequent testing showed if I selected my user right away single click would work, but then nothing. If I waited too long (10-15secs) I could not even do that.

At this point I'm thinking hardware, so I boot in diagnostic mode. Lo and behold single click worked as did the keyboard. I booted into recovery mode and same thing. Everything worked. I did try booting to my SuperDuper backup on the external disk, but same issue. As a note that backup did *not* have Better Snap Tool installed. I ran permission checks, reset the PRAM. Nothing worked.

Finally, I rebooted into recovery mode, wiped the disk and re-installed Mavericks. I restored all my apps and personal folders via my local backup as part of the install. I did NOT choose to restore the system prefs. Now everything is working and back up to date.

Just curious if anyone has ever experienced anything like this. And if so were you able to figure out what was causing it?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

A clean install of Yosemite pushes for FileVault to be enabled, but I've never seen a need. I think I'll continue going without.

I already had it enabled because I do some work stuff on my laptop. That may be the SSD, but I'm not noticing any hit on performance (late 2012 13" rMBP) with Yosemite. If anything it seems snappier. Of course that may be because I did a fresh install of Maverick and restored my data from backup just the other day (saga detailed earlier in thread). I will say it's a drat sight better than when work used to mandate only using PGP whole disk encryption. Thats probably because FileVault is baked into Core Storage as opposed to a fs driver level shim like PGP.

One of nice things is while encryption is tied to the admin account you used to encrypt the drive, it supplies a "Master Key" you can either trust Apple to hold in escrow or you can opt out of that and store it in a secure note in 1 password or similar encrypted container off of the Mac.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

FYI. Anyone who uses or wants to use Ice Floor for easy, granular GUI based configuration of the OS X firewall should know it is NOT compatible with Yosemite.

Statement on hanynet.com

quote:

IceFloor is not compatible with OS X 10.10 Yosemite. Adapting IceFloor to Yosemite requires a lot of work and it will take some time. During this period you may want to try the free Murus Lite firewall fronted, available at https://www.murusfirewall.com. Please note that while I am involved in Murus development, Murus and its derivatives are commercial applications, and for this reason they will not be hosted and/or supported by hanynet.com.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Binary Badger posted:

Welp, Amazon streaming works, Netflix works, Youtube works..

..but Time Warner TV spends eternity authenticating. Looks like Silverlight needs to be updated..

Doesn't Netflx still use Silverlight on OS X? And being it's Time-Warner I know where I'd place my money.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

ShoogaSlim posted:

gently caress. I was given the option to use FileDrive also and I figured what could be the harm and went for it. I'm reading on some other forums that it's not worth using but I have no way of backing out now that the process has started. Hopefully simply turning it off in the settings will revert it back to normal. This thing has like 5 hours to go still drat it.

I'm curious, why do they say it's not worth using?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

ShoogaSlim posted:

I think I'm just being antsy. It seems nobody gave any concrete evidence as to why they didn't advocate its use. Other people chimed in that it's fine. One guy said something about Data Loss but someone else disputed it.

I think that was an issue with the very first iteration of File Vault, but with File Vault 2 (Lion) they fixed it.

The biggest issue is forgetting your password. Unless you tuck away that master-key that's generated at encryption time (the only time you will see it) somewhere you can get to it, or trust Apple to store it, that data is gone if you forget your password.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Binary Badger posted:

Confirmed as a quick check of Activity Monitor doesn't even show Silverlight as a running process during Netflix movies in Safari 8.

Also the circle of blue dots don't show up like they used to and HD is automatic, there isn't even a button for it in the slightly new playback controls.

That's awesome to know. What about Hulu+? Is that native as well?

edit: Well, crap Hulu+ is flash (from a quick googling). Guess iOS and Apple TV only for that service.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Oct 17, 2014

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

IUG posted:

Yeah, I'm starting to think there's just something wrong with both of Apple's new OSs (Yosemite and iOS 8). On top of this bluetooth problem, my laptop is also getting a fraction of the speed I used to when using the internet. Just did the speedtest.net test, and I'm getting two different speeds based on the computer.

Windows 7 desktop (hardwired):
DL 59
UL 6.7

Macbook Pro Retina (wifi):
DL 11
UL 6.7

Streaming the audio via Airplay to my AppleTV last night was also unplayable. I'm pretty close to rolling back to Mavericks.

EDIT: I just did some searching, and saw some reference to Wifi using 2.3GHz to 5GHz. I was using 2.3 and switched to 5. Now speed test tells me I'm getting 42 down at least.

That most likely explains the BT issue as well. BT lives in the unlicensed 2.4GHz bands as well. There are a *ton* of things that could be causing interference. Not just channel contention from neighbors, but any baby monitors, non-WiFi wireless security cams, some cordless phones, microwave ovens (really). BT is *supposed* to be able to dynamically adjust, but there may just be that much noise in your RF airspace.

E: If you have another computer/device to test the speakers and/or WiFi that would help. You can then see if it is, in fact, too much RF noise or if you need to call Apple Support.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Oct 17, 2014

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Glasgow Kiss posted:

icloud drive was a little wonky. wouldn't even open on my mac, so i had to deactivate it and reactivate it.

some bugs here and there, but i think it's more of it indexing poo poo. seems stable so far.

edit: i have a feeling this update would look gorgeous on a retina display. shame i'm on a early 2011 mbp, so no cool stuff for me.

I had the same thing happen, but a reboot fixed the issue for me.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Anyone else not able to re-arrange dock icons?

Well, dammit. I hadn't tried that. And now I have and it's going to bug me to no end.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

OK this has been bugging me in Safari since upgrading to Yosemite and I'd like to know if it's just me or a general bug: When I type in a text area (e.g. the SA new post/reply box) the input cursor is horizontally misaligned slightly, like it's assuming a different font kerning than the text is actually using. Sometimes it's more apparent than others, but for example, often the cursor completely overlaps an "i" when it should be inserting just before the "i". Here's a screenshot:

Can anyone else reproduce this? (just type "testing" into a text area and try to insert right before the "i")

Testing.

OK, I did it and at first I thought the cursor as covering up the 'i'. However after dropping my resolution down to native on my rMBP and zooming in Safari, it looks like the 'i' is there, but the cursor is snuggled right up against it with a zero pixel gap. It's enough that it would probably confuse me in day to day editing. Hopefully, it's only something with Safari and not in general on the entire system.

Ok, I just did a quick check with Mail and its much better there. If I have time, I'll do some more testing.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

smax posted:

It's only connected via wifi.

I do have wake for network access turned on, but if I remember right I wasn't putting my computer to sleep and it was still getting renamed. I'll turn it off and see if that fixes it though.

Check your Energy Savings settings for Power Adapter. Make sure the slider is on Never for "Computer sleep". Otherwise the computer will auto-sleep regardless of whether you press the power button or close the lid.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

TinTower posted:

I long for the day when we can finally uninstall Flash on our Macs. Given that every major browser has EME support, there's no excuse to serve video using Flash any more.

What do you still use that needs Flash? Just curious.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Snapchat A Titty posted:

I still have flash, but I also have clicktoplugin which I cannot recommend enogh for those edge cases.

I long for the day where I can finally shed Java and Flash and emerge like a beautiful butterfly

ClicktoFlash? Or is this an entirely different extension? Because I love ClickToFlash.

I unfortunately have Flash as well, but the only site I absolutely need it for is this unholy abomination that is a security appliance GUI interface (which is a bit ironic given some of the past Flash security issues). YouTube has been running fine using HTML5 for me(so far).

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Vaporware posted:

I got locked out for too many failed password attempts the other day, and unless someone is trying to brute force my password very slowly, it was absolutely mail that did it.

It sounds like the mail.app now works like the iOS Exchange mail handler. My iPhone would at times hammer the Exchange server and then lock my account for a couple hours. I finally got fed up and paid for a 3rd party Exchange client. No problems since.

I'm pretty much done with the Mac default apps for mail, calendar, etc.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Martytoof posted:

Oh? What's the go-to Calendar replacement?

I've been using Fantastical on the Mac. I still use the iCloud calendar as my data source, but the interface and menu bar functionality is better than the stock app.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

spongeworthy posted:

Not there for me, and I have a remote paired..

Yeah, I just checked also and I get the same thing you do.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

empty baggie posted:

What machine are you two running? I'm on a late 2011 15" MBP. Haven't checked the Mac mini or iMac yet, but it's definitely there for me on Yosemite on this particular machine.

Late 2012 rMBP.

And I did some digging. The rMBP does not have an IR receiver. So there's that.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Hey! posted:

That's a great tip, thanks. Never thought to look in Preferences of Keychain Access.

About the Powermate, I bought one and had it set up to do exactly what I want in just a couple minutes. Seems pretty sweet so far, I recommend it. (Rather than emulate a keystroke, it runs an Applescript that runs a shell script to go to the lock screen. I even get the fancy cube-rotate animation!)

Sorry for chiming in so late and this may have been mentioned. If you want to lock the screen easily, is there a reason you can't just use "hot corners"? You can have it start the screen saver or sleep and then just make sure the Security is set to lock immediately upon sleep or screen saver.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

I said this pages ago and got no reply, I guess it's just Not Good Enough.

That's why I thought I was missing some vital requirement. I see elventy-billion steps, automation, 3rd party software, but not the swipe mouse to unused corner and the OS will auto lock the computer.