Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib
To those with Ventura: Is iPhone-as-webcam as great as I think it will be? It seems like every purchasable webcam is crap, and for some reason my Fuji camera just refuses to work as a webcam with their software. This might be The Answer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

Binary Badger posted:

That's exactly what I'm talking about, the Iris 5200 Pro / 6100 are in that same boat, the subset of full DX12 features, but Apple shitcanned them because they need ALL the features.

People screamed at Apple for years that Metal 1 and Metal 2 did not offer all the features of DX12 so games couldn't be ported / written for them, they had to be hacked/fudged, so instead of adopting DirectX12 wholesale, they decided to spruce up Metal and add extensions to it that would make it equivalent enough to DX12 to allow easier porting.

Apple must have somehow bribed Capcom into making Resident Evil: Village as they're not known for their Mac ports but outta nowhere at WWDC they got one of their reps showing off RE:V like they were old time Mac vendors or something.

Yeah, that's because Apple was still using nVidia GPUs in 2013 (none after 2013, though) and back then Metal was a new thing and they got nVidia to create those drivers for macOS (10.8.4 / 10.9!!) to be Metal compatible. But, after 2013 Apple literally ghosted nVidia for reasons unknown (but the debacle with their GPUs overheating in whatever Mac laptops they were installed in didn't help) and to this day, nVidia is that old girlfriend that Apple wants nothing to do with.

The Kepler-based 755M, 775M, and 780M in the iMac 2013 models perhaps could support Metal 3, but try getting Apple to go to nVidia and hire them to write Metal 3 compatible drivers for a nine year old machine. Possible, but will never happen.

I remember that scuttlebutt at the time around the Apple/nVidia split was about nVidia being loose-lipped the leaking unannounced Apple products. The likely thought being that Apple tried to get nVidia to heel and get more locked down, and nVidia said something insulting about Apple’s size.

As with all internet rumors, there is no evidence and likely less truth. But drat if that ghosting doesn’t FEEL personal.

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

Gay Retard posted:

When I went to grad school in 2018 for UI/UX, it seemed like everybody used different tools - Adobe XD started taking off (Free from Adobe + Halo effect), InVision, Sketch, and Figma. I've dabbled with all of them, and they all function pretty similarly, but it really does look like Figma and browser-based tools are winning out.

Continuing the derail: I was an old Sketch partisan, but all of our teams (big tech firm) have moved to Figma. The benefits of cloud-based concurrent editing and sharing were just too good. The browser-based cross-platform ability also really trumped Sketch in the long run; Figma meets enterprise-scale needs really well.

Until, of course, the cloud goes down.

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

TraderStav posted:

Is there a way/app for macOS to remember my window layout? I have three monitors, one of which is an ultrawide. Whenever I switch my UW from one source to dual source (75% my Mac, 25% my work PC) it forgets everything and I have to changing the scaling on Monitor #3, rearrange everything so the cursor flows properly, and reset the monitor in front of me to be my main. Just frustrating and it’d be great if there was an app that remembered these profiles.

I don’t have an answer for you, but this is an interesting problem. MacOS has gotten pretty good at remembering windows for me, moving between screens. But I’m guessing what’s confusing it is that from its perspective, this isn’t a changed monitor, it’s one monitor ID that mysteriously alters its resolution. I remember there being apps that solved monitor-swapping window problems back when macOS was way worse at it, don’t know where they are now.

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib
Apple used to have really good Human Interface Guidelines. Then they had incomplete ones. Now everything is scattershot and weird.

If you’ll let me be SUPER-nerdy for a moment: the current Mac interface is like playing OpenTTD. If you spent the last 20 years coming along for every change and addition, it all makes perfect sense. If you’re starting from zero, it’s an impenetrable wall of niche historical decisions that make for a cacophonous whole.

I kinda suspect Apple is still coming to terms with the reality that no, iOS will not in fact eat and replace MacOS.