Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Blinkz0rz posted:

Man, Apple makes really nice hardware except the Macbook power bricks are god awful. First off, even when they work perfectly there only thing they have to secure the cable to the brick is that tiny clip which always detaches itself. Second, the tabs securing the plastic wings are really flimsy. I've had my laptop for a few months now and one of the tabs has already popped off. I have to wind the cable very carefully just to make sure the wing doesn't fall out.

What's stupid is that other manufacturers have solved this problem years ago but Apple can't seem to get their act together.

I know a ton of people who have ruined their chargers but I've been using macbooks since early 2008 and I have never once had a problem with a charger. I don't know how a lot of people use them but I think they're pretty nice compared to most PCs that I've used. I will say that they are insanely overpriced which makes it really difficult when they do break/get lost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

McDeth posted:

Is anybody here using Office 2016 for Mac? Do you find it up be a horrible, slow, clunky gently caress-up of a software Suite? Because I do.

gently caress Office 2016.

Office 2011 was so bad that I dual booted my old white macbook just so that I wouldn't have to use it (also because it didn't support visual basic macros). Compared to that 2016 is a dream come true.

That said, I've seen some issues but nothing too bad. Also, I feel like I've seen more updates on office 2016 than I ever saw on 2011, so who knows it might actually get better.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Laserface posted:

remove the nano receiver and plug it back in. fixes it every time for me.

in my experience my Anywhere MX works fine except for the movement. button assignments and everything else works.

I've had a similar problem since I upgrade to Yosemite with my audio interface (Focusrite 2i2) where the audio will be really choppy or just cut out completely after my rMBP puts itself to sleep. Unplugging it and plugging it back in always fixes it, but it's really annoying.

Is this just some sort of power saving BS in Yosemite/El Capitan that can be turned off? Right now I'm just preventing my laptop from going to sleep when it's plugged into to the power adapter.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

flosofl posted:

Sleep mode appears to include USB sleep as well. I think the only way to turn it off is to disable sleep mode when on power. There's no granular configuration of the power settings like you can do in Windows.

This is very irritating. Welp, looks like my laptop is never sleeping again.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

If you do any kind of audio work I would HIGHLY recommend not upgrading to El Capitan.

It made my home interface not work (M-Audio I know, but it's worked fine since 10.8)

I've only heard audio horror stories about El-Capitan, especially in regards to audio-plugins. I really think apple has forsaken us audio folks, I'll probably never update unless I hear that this changes.

Seriously, I feel like apple cares less and less about its "pro" (big scare quotes) users every year. I'm starting to think they're only thinking about the needs of the average college freshman during development.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

flosofl posted:

They really don't. I think around the time they hosed with Final Cut, they shifted their focus toward home and business consumers. I know they're trying to make serious inroads for Enterprise and IBM shifting their focus to Apple integration in the workplace has really reinforced that.

Logic doesn't seem terrible (at least from a hobbyist standpoint), but Aperture is gone for good and I heard nothing but horror stories from my friends regarding Final Cut when the latest version was released.

I really miss aperture
RIP in peace :( :(

I've used logic on a few occasions and I'm not really a huge fan, although the virtual instruments that come with it sound really good. My impression is that it's just "Garageband 2.0" and although I've heard the audio rendering is better than comparable 'hobbyist' (not pro-tools) DAWS like Abelton it just seems like a really clunky/slow program to work with.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

If I could go back and do this I would set aside a computer running Mavericks and never update it and use that for Pro Tools though.

If I could go back I would just keep Mavericks on my Macbook Pro.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

NOTinuyasha posted:

This might actually be more relevant than you think, I've had Skype updates disabled for years (I won't get into why, something to do with work etc). The copy causing problems dated back to like... Mavericks.

Skype has only gotten worse since like version 1.5 anyways imo, you're not missing out on anything.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Mr. Motivator posted:

Anyone successfully using any Mad Catz mouse with OS X El Capitan? Their lack of drivers for the OS has left me staying with Yosemite (and my RAT 7) until it's guaranteed to work. Some people reporting mixed success....

Is there anything that actually works in El Capitan!?

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

tokyosexwale posted:

I'm having issues with Preview pinging the cpu at 100% when trying to view a certain PDF. It freezes and stutters constantly as I try to scroll through it. Strangely, if I view the same PDF file by hitting spacebar in the Finder it scrolls and loads with zero problems and no performance issues. How is that possible? Do they use different PDF rendering engines?

Edit: Sorry, I should mention I'm on 10.10.5

I've had the same problem. Usually if I quit preview and start it again I stop having CPU issues even with the same PDF.
I'm using the same version of OSX as well.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Bob Morales posted:

My 2013 rMBP has crashed while sleeping the last two times I have tried to wake it back up (today, and yesterday)

https://pastebin.mozilla.org/8881639

Any suggestions to look first?

Mine does the same time occasionally although it hasn't done it in awhile though. It almost always happens when I have my USB soundcard plugged in so I'm assuming that might have something to do with it.

It might also be worth mentioning that my soundcard used to disconnect whenever I put my laptop to sleep requiring me to unplug the card and plug it back in. After an update (I'm assuming) this hasn't been a problem and neither has the waking issues. Idk how this is helpful but I assumed that it was a pretty common problem when it was happening to me regularly. I even ran a system diagnosis thing and it found no errors.

I know this isn't helpful in anyway but if you have a soundcard that might be the source of the problem.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
I've just been using the same old version of transmission for the past year. If you have an old version of it just don't update. The new versions are no different from what I can tell. Imo it's still the best client and I'm stubborn so I'll be damned if I ever switch.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
Got my mom a 2018 13in non-touchbar MBP and I'm currently loading a time machine backup from her old 2008 MBP (unibody).

I'm using an old western digital hard drive I had lying around that uses mini usb and the time estimate thing is telling me it's going to take 27 hours lmao. The backup is 190gb.

Anyone else have an experience like this with Time Machine? In your experience did the estimate drop over time? I feel like it'll probably take all night but not 27 hours.

edit: Dropped to 1.5 hours after indexing woohooo

CerealKilla420 fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Sep 15, 2018

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

BobHoward posted:

Good that it dropped after indexing finished. Is the WD USB HDD so old it's only USB2? Because USB2 hard drive performance is, like, bad. Really bad.

I've done backups and restores of that size magnitude to a USB 3 2.5" external and they definitely don't take a full day. Couple hours, typically.

Yeah it was USB 2.0 it was a hard drive I bought in highschool so around 2010-2011. It was SLOW but it didn't take nearly as long as the estimate said it would. I'd say probably 4 hours in all.

I also had to talk to my mom about deleting old podcasts because 100gb of her drive is podcasts and she only got the 256gb model.

Also unrelated but your avatar scares me :(

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

BobHoward posted:

Some unknown anonymous chud paid :10bux: to give me that av and red text because I posted in a Negrotown thread to thank the black voters of Alabama for doing amazing work getting out the vote in the special election which put Doug Jones in the Senate instead of that loving monster Roy Moore. I've left it there because LOL, dumbass, whoever you are, spending $10 on that is such an amazing self own.

Maybe it's time to give Lowtax some spine money though. I've always known it must be a bit weird and unsettling without knowing the context.

Yeah I gave him some spine money because the Trump Lover thing made me embarrassed to post tbh.

But yeah it's just weird because I would assume all of your posts would be super angry with that image and text lol.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Housh posted:

Yeah my 2016 takes a while to wake. Specially for the wifi antenna to turn on. My 2006 MacBook turns on and connects instantaneously. Snow Leopard >*

"macOS and Mac Software: Just install Snow Leopard"

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Oh my god, a Dashboard user.

Look for a "Dashboard as a Space" or something like that option under System Preferences > Mission Control, I think.

I have disabled dashboard since Leopard with a Terminal command. I was setting up my mom's new macbook the other day and forgot it was even a part of Mac OS. I can't imagine even casual users ever using dashboard.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
If you guys are looking for a good music player for Mac OS I've been using Audirvana for the past few years and I like it.

It is kind of pricey though. IIRC I paid $100 for it a few years back and they gave me a free update to the newest version.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
Have to post this because I've been complaining so much about my 2019 16in MBPs battery life in this thread.

I finally found a fix that fixes the issue.

I'm still not entirely sure what's going on with the battery health reading but I'm not ruling out that Apple has the larger battery in the 2019 MBP not fill all the way up? Not sure but I just got a replacement and it reads anywhere between 95-97%.

Anyways, after a bunch of different attempts to get my battery life over 2-4 hours I finally found one that actually works.

I went from 2-3 hours of battery life on average to around 6-8 which I consider to be acceptable considering Apple advertising 10 hours of battery life at 75% brightness web browsing.

The solution is so stupid because basically all you have to do is reset the PRAM 3 times and then reset the SMC a single time after.

Don't know why it works but it did something for my machine so idk certainly worth a shot if you're having the same issue.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/battery-life-on-macbook-pro-16.2212813/page-11?post=28364649#post-28364649

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Mercurius posted:

The 3 PRAM zaps followed by an SMC reset is a time honoured way to get Mac hardware stuff working. I remember having to do that on my PowerBook back in the day and I guess it’s still a winner.

Good to know!

Looking at the mac forums, this seems to be a pretty common issue with the 2019 16in MBP. Not really sure why that is but hey I'll take it.

My laptop is actually working and I'm not in as big a hurry to replace it now lol.