Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Enemu
May 31, 2014
So I'm using a usb c dock for my MBP and have it hooked up through HDMI to a dell monitor. Works great, BUT when I'm trying to route sound through it, in sound preferences it shows the monitor but only as DisplayPort, not as HDMI. I did use a usb-c to DisplayPort cable first to test it with refresh rate, but I don't know how to force preferences to route sound through HDMI. Any suggestions?

I've restarted, unplugged, blah blah blah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enemu
May 31, 2014
That's bizarre. I'm pretty bummed out about it, the speakers suck but it saves me having to pair a bluetooth speaker or something.

Enemu
May 31, 2014

IAmKale posted:

Let me save everyone here a lot of time and recommend Sound Control: https://staticz.com/soundcontrol/

I use this to enable volume control of sound through my HDMI monitor connected to my Mini, though I’m sure the app is also capable of handling volume control of all output types.

Soundflower is woefully out of date and I wouldn’t be surprised if it stops working entirely with future versions of macOS. Sound Control sees regular updates, though, and so I think they’re more than worth the couple bucks they want for the full version.

Still just showing displayport, just can't get it to force HDMI.