Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

This is a bug which I did submit to Apple during the betas of Lion, which never got fixed in the GM, and just wondering if it still exists in the retail version.

The print server at my work runs off Windows Server 2008. The print queues on it do not require any authentication to print to them. Windows and OSX 10.5/6 clients can print to them without needing to type in an username and password.

However Lion you need to have an account to authorise the print job or it just sits in the queue like a stupid bastard, even though it doesn't need authentication. Are other goons here having this issue as well?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

For those who don't like the new tab behaviour in Safari 5.1, here is an add-on that will help fix most of the issues (except for middle mouse click for new tab, still does the new behaviour for that):

http://canisbos.com/linkthing

DigitalChaos posted:

After installing Lion and using the migration util to pull from my Snow Leopard install... well it went smoothly except for a few crashing apps.

TextEdit and Preview (probably more) crash immediately after trying to launch them. The console shows a "Job appears to have crashed: Illegal instruction: 4" when it happens. Any suggestions? I repaired the permission on the volume (there were quite a few problems) but that didn't fix it.
When you did a migrate, did you only migrate the user accounts, or did you do the applications as well? Cos if you migrated the applications, then that's where your issues are.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Has anyone been having issues with Adium where it isn't receiving messages/replies from MSN/Windows Live Messenger? I have done some searching on the net, but only finding old tickets logged with Adium. I am using version 1.4.2.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Accipiter posted:

Just found another bullshit feature removal/limitation in Lion.

Previously, Spaces allowed you to bring up the interface and manage all windows on all desktops. Not in Lion! Bringing up Mission Control will not allow you to move windows from any desktop other than the active desktop. So if you're on Desktop 2 and you want to bring up Mission Control to move a window from Desktop 3 to Desktop 1, you're loving out of luck because clearly that's too "power user" for Apple. Now you have to switch to the desktop with the app you want to move, bring up Mission Control, and THEN move it.

It's like 10.7 is the "add unnecessary steps to all tasks" release of Mac OS X. :(
gently caress really? I didn't test what was Spaces in the 10.7 Beta, but that's sad if they have done that. Time to wait for a 3rd party plugin/addon to fix that.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Trying to setup the latest Python and some Python addons for Maths academics at my workplace. I have most stuff installed, however when I run some tests to make sure Python and its addons are working, of course there are issues.

The particular addon I am trying to get to work is Pyrex. I have installed Pyrex-0.9.9 on the Mac (10.6.8), and there were no errors while installing.

However when I run the MacTest.py which should validate whether Pyrex has been installed, it comes up with this error:

code:
ImportError: cannot import name FSSpec
I tracked down this error and someone had uploaded a .patch file to fix it. However there are no instructions on how you install a .patch, and Google is not giving me any help. Is there any command line users here who could help me with this, or throw some hints on where I should be looking?

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Tried out 10.7.1 - Samba is still broken for me.

Try and connect to Windows shares around my workplace is impossible, even putting in the address like this
code:
smb://username@server
It still tells me I am putting in the wrong username, and doesn't even want to prompt me for a password. And printing to printers shared off Windows Servers/Workstations is still broken, even though 10.5 and 10.6 users can print fine to them.

drat it Apple :mad:

You Am I fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Aug 17, 2011

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Lazyhound posted:

Is your workplace using SMB2? If not, that's a WONTFIX, working as intended.
It's weird, as I have read elsewhere people get the username/password prompt in Lion, whereas I don't. I wonder if I need to freshly reinstall Lion, as it has been upgraded from earlier Developer Preview versions. At least I have found a solution for the Windows printer problem I was having.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Toe Rag posted:

edit: It looks like cron is gone form 10.7? I think you can accomplish the same functionality through launchd, but I don't know much about that :shobon:
Stop using cron! Bad boy, bad boy!

Lingon is the best way of learning how to use Launchd. Launchd is awesome and so much better than doing cron jobs.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Never encountered this, and I use Safari to browse the forums for probably 4 hours a day every day.

Sounds like your install is hosed or your hardware is.
The only issue I have had with Safari recently is where some of the words near a smiley come out in subscript, or as if the poster has dropped down a line for one word. Seems to have started happening with Safari 5.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Danke, usually don't venture into that subforum.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

japtor posted:

I had it working once with the built in stuff...then haven't been able to do it since. Installing samba3 can't be the only way :ohdear:.
Rumours are that SAMBA is going to get a lot of fixes in 10.7.2.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

duck monster posted:

What are folks feeling on this whole migration-assistant thing. I managed to kind of blow up my old macbook via the careful application of coffee to keyboard followed by the precise reaction of horror to apples fixup quote of $1200. So I got me a brand spanking new macbook pro.

ANYWAY. When I tried to run the migration assistance it gave me very few options (Seriously I only want to migrate a few apps, the movies+music dir and my home drive , preferably packaged in a folder called "old poo poo". This wants to take 13 hours and do the lot. I'm not THAT opposed to doing the whole lot, but 13 hours seems excessive. Is there any other reason I shouldn't do it. Does it randomly break poo poo?

By the way , not including a re-install disk with a new mac goes beyond "its the way of the future" to plain pathological. Come on apple, these things are for a reason. Including 50c worth of media is not too hard an ask for a $2.5K laptop
I wouldn't migrate apps, because I find in most cases they are broken when transferred between systems. Migrating user accounts and other data is awesome, saves so much time when it comes to resetting up preferences and other stuff.

mayodreams posted:

For the admins out there, I got some new Mac Pros shipping with Lion in today, and I was able to deploy a Snow Leopard image to them without issue. This makes me tremendously happy as I don't have to deploy Lion in my lab this week, so I thought I'd give you guys a heads up.
The only Apple product at my work we can't get our 10.6 image working on is the new MB Airs. Other Macs will run 10.6 until they get a hardware refresh.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Bob Morales posted:

Man I would kill if there was one, standard, Apple-supported (well maybe not that) packaging tool.
Oh God yes. I tried MacPorts again with their own GUI interface, but the GUI keeps crashing when you load it, and they still haven't fixed it.

I have Maths students/academics wanting weird loving Python/Fortran/etc packages and addons, and having a proper endorsed and maintained Apple package setup would make my job 100000000 times easier

SwimNurd posted:

TL;DR: Homebrew does crazy poo poo. Don't use it.
Really? I thought Homebrew was goon approved. FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

You Am I fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Sep 15, 2011

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

SwimNurd posted:

I didn't even know macports has a GUI. It really isn't that difficult to use on the commandline.

code:
$ sudo ports install irssi
Yes, but I am also dealing with other techs who have grown up with Windows and don't know what a command line is, and academics who have grown up on Macs and are scared of doing terminal commands. I can't be there to hold their hands all the time

Thoom posted:

My experience with fink is that all of their packages are, in grand Debian tradition, way the gently caress out of date. If that doesn't bother you then it's probably the cleanest solution.
I used to use Fink with 10.4 and 10.5, however the lack of a proper pkg binary installer for 10.6 annoyed the poo poo out of me. And yes, I know it can be installed by the command line, but look above for the reasons why I don't.

You Am I fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Sep 15, 2011

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Grayham posted:

I'm an idiot for paying $50 for VMware Fusion 4. I just RMA'd that poo poo.

Parallels Desktop is much better. One, it uses Lion's built-in full screen API. And two, I don't have to figure out some crazy way of re-downloading Lion from the App Store (every "tip" I found for doing this doesn't work). Parallels uses your recovery partition.
I was interested in seeing what Parallels 7 vs. VMWare 4 war was going to be like. I always found VMWare 3 to be clunky compared to Parallels 5 and 6.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Today's developer seed of 10.7.2 is most likely the last build, since it shipped with complete release notes.

Thanks for that, better check my developer's account

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

New 10.7.2 seed is out for developers.
Hasn't updated for my developer account, still shows the 22nd of September beta :confused:

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

lord funk posted:

Of course, I'm still mad they hide the scrollbars in Lion.
I like the lack of scroll bars in Lion. The windows look so much cleaner without them. However I didn't know about that setting for scroll bars, I am sure I am going to have people at my work asking about that.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Martytoof posted:

I didn't know if they locked that sort of functionality out on real Macs, letting you multiboot MacOS in essence. I'm not sure why they would (or why you would really want to, on a real mac I guess), I just didn't know if it was possible :)

edit: Might be useful for testing dev releases.
Yes you can. I have a MB Pro at work that is running 10.6, 10.7 and Windows 7 on the one HDD.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

timb posted:

If those two people aren't asian, I'd sever. MSN in 2011? Really?
Nearly every Australian uses MSN/Windows Live Messenger. That's why I stick with Adium.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

Holy crap, the MacTex package is 1.8gb!

Yep, but the Maths postgrads and academics at my work swear by it.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Tenterhooks posted:

The best screensaver is the Presstube screensaver. I even made a gif to help show it off:

The second best is The Colour Clock which 'represents time as a hexadecimal colour value'.
I've always liked the XScreensaver collection, mainly due to the huge variety it has. Also the creater/complier of the collection is a bit of a sperg (read the Windows instructions)

http://www.jwz.org/xscreensaver/download.html

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Olivil posted:

Yeah thinking about it I had some trouble installing Lion due to my partition table, had a Linux partition and it messed things up. Thanks for the link, I'll look into it! :)

Holding CMD-R at startup does nothing. Is there another way to get the partition other than a clean install?

Hold down the Option key and see which bootable partitions appear

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Mr Chips posted:

I guess you never had the pleasure of spending some quality time with 10.4 server. Lots of things were completely broken in that one too.
10.4 was alright. 10.5 completely broke SMB server stuff out of the box

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Colonel Sanders posted:

Just found an article suggesting it is possible to install ML on un-supported Macs. So does anyone think that Apple will exclude capable hardware simply because they are old?

I think it is a good idea with refusing older hardware when Apple brings out a new version of OSX. Stops the situation with the "Vista Compatible" situation happening. Plus a lot of people are still happily running 10.5 and 10.6 on their Macs.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Anmitzcuaca posted:

What's a good app to keep a directory on my internal drive backed up to an external drive? I already have time machine set up with my time capsule, but I want to keep several folders synchronised with their counterparts on a USB drive.
Super Duper

http://www.shirt-pocket.com/SuperDuper/SuperDuperDescription.html

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

lord funk posted:

Re: what to do with Lion, if I didn't have these preferences reverted I would smash my computer to bits:

Get key repeat back:
defaults write -g ApplePressAndHoldEnabled -bool false

Show the ~/Library folder in the Finder:
chflags nohidden ~/Library

Disable window animations:
defaults write NSGlobalDomain NSAutomaticWindowAnimationsEnabled -bool NO
Disabling iCloud sign up/sign in with new accounts:

sudo defaults write /System/Library/User\ Template/Non_localized/Library/Preferences/com.apple.SetupAssistant DidSeeCloudSetup -bool TRUE

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Martytoof posted:

TextEdit became GREAT once I turned off all advanced text features and basically turned it into a notepad.exe clone, which is all I really wanted from a bare bones text editor.

I totally agree with this. TextEdit is great in plain text mode. However Lion has hosed up the saving scheme for it, annoys the poo poo out of me

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

OperatorAce posted:

Mountain Lion... is the OS I feared OS X would become. I've been using OS X since it came out, and starkly defended it. However, I'm to the point now where I really dislike how it's turning out. On my Apple products, it's slower than the alternatives and is becoming less user friendly somehow.

Anyone else starting to feel the same way?
Nope, I am finding the beta of ML to be very quick and stable for a beta OS. And my ML test Mac is no where near the latest and greatest in hardware.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Kaluza-Klein posted:

It is possible to install Windows 7 onto a macbook air from an SD card? I have a big SD card, but boot camp assistant is insisting I use a usb drive, which I don't have.

Google has not helped, other than to imply that I might be out of luck :/
It will be way too slow, sorry dude. Either invest in an external USB or Thunderbolt HDD.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Space Racist posted:

I miss Tiger. It was my first real runaround with OS X. :unsmith:

I know it's technically still under NDA and not valid for public discussion, but I noticed that Mountain Lion phases out compatibility for the old Intel GMA 950s and X3100s. While perhaps overdue with 10.7, has it been publicly mentioned if 10.8 is doing anything more intense graphically than 10.7? I'm just curious if it's more a case of Apple phasing out support for legacy devices than actual performance needs.

While they graphically suck, the CPUs weren't that great either, always getting massively hot and slow compared to even later C2D CPUs.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Mug posted:

I dont think we have Apple Stores. I'll just download it, I guess. Should be <5gb I hope.

The DMG size of the GM is 4.7GB

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Small White Dragon posted:

Unrelated:
Does VMWare Fusion work fine under Mountain Lion?

VMWare Fusion 3 doesn't.

Version 4 does, but you need to install 4.1.2 or later for it to work in ML

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Also, I've never used Migration Assistant because Windows was always so bad at that sort of thing in the past (probably why I'm paranoid about data). Does it work well? Rather than cloning her Lion install to the SSD and then upgrading, I'd rather do a clean ML install and then migrate her data over. I don't mind doing it manually since it's well organized, but if Migration Assistant can save me some steps, why not?

MA is awesome and I would kill myself if I didn't use it at work. Saved me so much time when rebuilding Macs

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Binary Badger posted:

:siren: Carbon Copy Cloner is no longer donationware :siren:

http://www.bombich.com/software/updates/ccc-3.5.html

The latest version is now commercial ($39.95) but it's only $29.96 until August 12th.

CCC 3.5 works for Snow Leopard, Lion, and Mountain Lion.

You can use it on a 30-day trial. If you paid them a donation in the past, you can email them to get a registration.

Edit: you can still use v.3.4.x versions but they're only qualified for Tiger and Leopard.

Welp, back to Super Duper for me

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

It is common knowledge that Office usually sucks for Mac, however 2011 is leap years better than the mess that was 2008.

Outlook for Mac sucks for me because it wont work with Google Calendars.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

evil_bunnY posted:

App-specific bindings in my case (I have another, non-logitech pointer).

e: TBH, I tried the drivers once and like BTT better but my opinion of their PC software may have tainted my judgement at the time.
LCC does app specific bindings as well.

If there is a complaint that I have for LCC, it is that I have to mod the config file for it to recognise my MX1100 mouse because it was a part of the Wave Keyboard kit, which is incompatible with Macs

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Experto Crede posted:

10.7.5 is out too. I thought that it had been cancelled in all honesty...

Still needed at my workplace due to some software that wont run on 10.8.x

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Screw using multiple monitors, just use virtual desktops

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Just wondering if anyone here has had experience with creating a Recovery Volume on a Mac that doesn't have a recovery volume on it?

There are plenty of guides for it on the net, but just wondering if someone here has done this before.