Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seiyal
Jul 9, 2015

In my mind I just pretend. My brain is my only true friend.
Is there an IRC client (between the ones listed or one that's not listed) that works fairly well on Mavericks? I've been using the free version of Textual and for some reason, it keeps either deleting the settings for a particular channel or messing them up for some reason. Used to use Linkinus and really liked that one but I know it hasn't been actively updated for quite awhile now. If there's an IRC client similar to Linkinus out there, that'd probably be a great option.

The same question would probably be extended to a mail client as well, as Mail hasn't been playing nice with multiple email accounts (most noticeably Outlook/Live) I used to use Airmail before the beta was locked from the OS I used to use and I had to switch back to Mail. For the moment, I've got my Outlook/Live accounts in Outlook and the others in Mail so one program that works well for with multiple emails is ideal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seiyal
Jul 9, 2015

So, I decided it was about time to upgrade Textual (IRC client) to the paid version and instantly regret doing so. (On Mavericks, btw)

The program now randomly quits my various channels, won't keep my settings saved and is being rather annoying overall. Any suggestions, free or paid, would be great as I use IRC daily.

Seiyal
Jul 9, 2015

Djarum posted:

Huh, that is weird. I have had Textual for over a year now and I have not had any of those problems on Mavericks or El Cap.

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Same, Textual has been fine for me. You might have a deeper seated issue happening on your machine.

Yeah, I'm going to try another clean install and see if that'll fix anything but it's just been very odd. I used the trial for ages without issue and really only in the last week or so was I noticing disconnects or channels not working. But yeah, let me check this and see if that fixes anything. (I've reinstalled once before but can't hurt to try again.)

Seiyal
Jul 9, 2015

Stare-Out posted:

The guy/guys behind Textual are also pretty good about bug reports and patches, shooting them an e-mail might not be a bad idea either.

I may need to look into that. The reinstall went fine but one of my channels refuses to keep its settings and I have to re-add it every time I join the server (or re-open the program)

Seiyal
Jul 9, 2015

Pivo posted:

Is it in the auto-join list in the server preferences? I haven't used Textual in a while but I never had these problems. I don't remember ever having a problem with it, and I'm a heavy IRC user.

Yeah, I've even checked to make sure that everything's entered in correctly and that I've set up the ports right as well. The channel that I'm having trouble with requires both a server password and a key as well, so I'm guessing I've just messed something up in that regard and have screwed up a setting somewhere or another. The only other thing I've been able to track in the server messages is "Cannot join channel (+k)" so I think I've just managed to overlook a step or two.

Seiyal
Jul 9, 2015

Pivo posted:

Hm, the server password should be settable in the server preferences and the channel key should be settable in the auto-join settings for the channel, but again, I haven't used it in a while so I don't know exactly, I may be confusing how Textual works with Colloquy. I always prefered Textual though...

Worst comes to worst you could just get rid of all that and put the commands you normally take to join the channel in the ... whatever it's called, the list of commands it plays when it connects to a network.

I forget how oyu join a passworded channel, isn't it just /join #channel password

Yeah, I've tried a couple of different ways to connect to the server (the /join #channel password one) and the (just setup things before hand and try to connect) one so I'm not terribly sure, sad to say. I mean, it's not terribly hard to do the "/join #channel password" thing every time I connect but it's an annoyance.

I think that Textual has an IRC channel as well, so worst case scenario, I can try to check in there or email, like was mentioned earlier.

I am glad that this is probably just a user issue and not a program issue though, that's a bit of a relief.

Seiyal
Jul 9, 2015

I feel like I'm just forgetting how this works, so apologies in advance.

So, I've got Mavericks on my Pro currently. Seems to work fine, besides a few beach-balls here and there and some random slowdowns in Safari.

My problem is that I can't remember what the breakdown is before an older operating system is no longer supported by Apple. I want to say it's 2 or 3 removed from the newest operating system, but I'm just not sure. If that's the case, I'll probably want to be looking at getting to El Capitan (since Yosemite was... troublesome I've heard) and it's also the most recent.

So yeah, am I remembering it right or do I have something incorrect?

Seiyal
Jul 9, 2015

BobHoward posted:

I don't think they've ever announced a formal policy but supporting N-1 and N-2 with security patches etc. generally seems to be Apple's pattern.

Ah so I should be okay for the moment but I'll need to keep an eye out down the line it seems. Thank you for the heads-up.

Seiyal
Jul 9, 2015

squirrelzipper posted:

El Capitan is pretty nice though, unless there's a requirement to stick to Mavericks why not upgrade now?

I'm just a bit partial to the look of Mavericks and I know the redesign kicked in for Yosemite/El Capitan. Plus, I figure if I'm going to be switching up to a newer OS, I might finally upgrade my Hard Drive to either a hybrid or a SSD, depending on pricing and sizes. So it's sort of a big jump if I look at it that way.

Seiyal
Jul 9, 2015

So, ever since Safari got updated to 9.1.2 a few days ago, I've run into an odd problem: I can't play videos anymore.

I just get a black box and no option to play any video, whether it's on Youtube or any other site. (After a bit of trial and error with my extensions, it seems to be Click to Plugin that was causing the issue, but that's extremely odd)

Since un-enabling the plugin, I can play videos again but I'd still like to see if I can figure out why 9.1.2 broke it if possible. (Or who knows, perhaps it's just not needed anymore and maybe it's just an outdated program)

Well, this seems to be a more pressing problem, but a new problem is that Safari seems to be running slowly, even though I've reset it a few times now. Just like a small delay in getting clicks to register on sites, etc but again, not sure why that's started up. I'll keep an eye out to see if this is a problem for those on a slightly older OS like Mavericks is now.

Seiyal fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jul 30, 2016

Seiyal
Jul 9, 2015

Bit of an odd question but did Conversation View change recently in Mail? Over in Mavericks, it seemed to work rather well. Emails for various projects (that all came from the same email) showed up in 1 long email that updated over time with new messages.

However, over in El Capitan, every email has its own email, whether or not its in a series. When I try to go to Conversation view, it doesn't seem to change anything at all. Is this an issue with El Capitan's Mail version or did Mavericks have a different way of making it work?

(I'm also willing to try out another Mail program as well, so feel free to suggest something as well.)

Seiyal
Jul 9, 2015

Any good (and up-to-date) suggestions for a replacement for MPlayer/MplayerX? It seems that the current version is now basically malware (or at the very least, is flagging as such and seems to check out as doing so in a couple of places) I do use it infrequently for watching subtitled stuff and regular videos so being able to do that would be ideal. (I'm currently on El Capitan, if it helps) I appreciate any and all suggestions, thank you in advance.

Seiyal
Jul 9, 2015

Platystemon posted:

I’ve been using a combination of VLC, MPV, and Quicktime Player.

I'll check them out and see what I can get to work. Thanks for the suggestions.

Seiyal
Jul 9, 2015

Been running into the oddest error for Airmail on El Capitan lately.

Not sure exactly how it's been happening, but I'll try to open an email or click to another pane or sometimes it just randomly shuts down without the program even being actively used at the time. It's really only been having these crashes for the past week or so but they seem to be getting more frequent and it's getting to the point where I'm going to need to get another email program running if this continues.

Is this something that anyone else has experienced or is this just a prelude to find another email program? Any suggestions would be great, thanks in advance!

Seiyal
Jul 9, 2015

Anton Chigurh posted:

Are you running the latest version, 3.3.2? I had some problems with previous versions, like it not remembering the setting for automatically checking spelling, but it has been fixed for awhile now and I have no major complaints. It's one of those programs that seems to poo poo the bed for no reason every now and then, but they were very responsive via email to help with my problem, including sending me links to download the latest beta versions.

I'd suggest checking the support section at http://airmailapp.com

Yeah, I'll check into it to see which version it is, but I am glad to hear that it'll hopefully be a quick fix most likely. Are you still using the beta versions or the Mac App Store one, if I can ask? I used to use their betas all of the time but eventually just bought it since it was working a lot better than Mail at the time. (And if the Betas a better shot, can't hurt to try it out)

Thanks for the help!

Seiyal
Jul 9, 2015

Bit of an odd question, but for the last week or so when I've shut down my computer (running El Capitan) the computer goes into shutdown mode and gets to the screen right before the computer's due to shutdown (the small spinning wheel in the mid-center of the screen)

However, it just sort of hangs there for awhile and I end up having to force-shutdown instead. Now this isn't every time I shut down my computer but it's been frequent enough that I'm a bit concerned about it. I'm on a mid-2012 Pro. (the last one with the optical drive)

(On another weird note, my torrent program stopped loading today (moved to qBittorrent after Transmission kept getting hacked) The only issue I can think of there is I installed Macports and found it didn't seem to work for what I needed and uninstalled it. qBittorrent hasn't worked since.)

Anyways, sorry for the two-pointed request, as always I appreciate any help you can provide.

Seiyal
Jul 9, 2015

Pivo posted:

Does it have a spinning platter hard drive? Maybe there are issues with it. See if SMART is giving you any hints there.

MacPorts is old now, you should be using homebrew, but usermode package managers shouldn't be causing system level failures like that. You could always check Console.app to see if nonsense is going on during your failed shutdown.

My rMBP takes a while to shut down, at that spinning screen too, but it does eventually do so...

Nope, SMART seems to be verified and good to go. And yeah, it's still got the spinning hard disk drive but it's been running fairly well without issue for awhile now.

Console.app doesn't seem to suggest anything either sadly.

As for MacPorts, it seems I called it the wrong name, I did install (and then uninstall) homebrew last night but other than trying to figure out if I got sdl2 uninstalled (which I don't think did end up uninstalling) everything else seems alright.

The only other thing would be that it's not a retina MBP but I'm not sure what errors that would or wouldn't come up with.

Seiyal
Jul 9, 2015

Sure, that sounds like a plan! I did figure out the issue with my one program not working but I'll try doing sysdiagnose and see what pops up. It'd definitely help out to figure out what's going wrong with the computer not shutting down.

It'll probably be a little bit, but I'll get back to you as soon as I can, thanks!

Seiyal
Jul 9, 2015

While not really pertinent to my day-to-day usage, I have a younger sibling who likes to use my computer to play World of Warcraft from time to time. The last time they played (a day or so ago), I got the lovely warning that my OS (being El Capitan) is at end-of-life status. While I'm not really ready to jump to High Sierra just yet (due to the fact that it just came out and I'd like to make sure it'll work well before I let my work computer onto it) would it be worth it to make the jump to Sierra instead?

I'd be making a backup either way but I'm quickly running out of HD room anyways, so it's a good excuse to clean.) I do wonder if Sierra's APFS system will be problematic if I still have a normal HD though? And other than that, anything I should keep an eye out for? Any help is appreciated, thanks!

Seiyal
Jul 9, 2015

Pivo posted:

It will not be converted to APFS. You have to do it manually if you want it. Only SSDs that are not in a Fusion drive get converted.

Is there a major benefit to doing so or is it not really needed?

Last Chance posted:

I think they removed Sierra from the App Store

e: and spinning hds are not converted to apfs yet

I've had the installer on my HD for awhile so I think I'm still okay there. I'll have to test it to make sure of course.

Seiyal
Jul 9, 2015

So I'm finally going on a trip and realizing I've not gotten my VPN stuff figured out. (which could be problematic if I don't tackle it)

I'll admit it's been a little bit since I last did my research and thought due to the timeframe I'm dealing with if there were any suggestions? Obviously NordVPN has a deal for us which is neat so, if anyone uses one and has some advice, I'd be most grateful.

Seiyal
Jul 9, 2015

Pivo posted:

I used PIA for a while and liked it.

That looks promising and it's nice to see that "pay with a gift card" option. Was it fairly easy to use overall for you? (Did you switch to something you liked better from your comment?)

Seiyal
Jul 9, 2015

Pivo posted:

It was trivial. I set it up with Viscosity which is a great cross-platform VPN client. I used it to get around geofences and to test it out (to see if speeds were majorly affected, if I could get all my machines running a nice client that stays out of your way, etc). I wasn't using it much though and got rid of the monthly fee and haven't missed it. At least I know it's there if I need it.

Hmm, that's not a terrible option and I can just use an old gift card to pay for access to see if it works too, not bad.

I'll take a look at it, thanks for the help!

Seiyal
Jul 9, 2015

I feel like I ask this every few months now (it seems anyways, so I apologize in advance here) but is there a legit email client that can handle multiple email accounts and keep said emails in conversation view? (aka everything from a certain address under the same thread)

I love using Airmail but it has a terrible habit of changing the sent email address (even when I'm in another account pane) which has led to a few terrible errors as of late. I was using Canary Mail (specifically because it said it uses Conversation view) and no matter what I do, it doesn't actually do that. Everything else I've seen either has had security issues as of late (hello Loop and Edison) or just flat out doesn't play nice.

I am fully willing to use multiple email clients to make this work but I'd just like to get it figured out if I can. I'd also be happy to provide more information as well if it'll help so please feel free to ask.

Seiyal
Jul 9, 2015

Theophany posted:

Unless I'm misunderstanding what you're asking, Outlook does this just fine. I use it for multiple email accounts, use threaded conversations to organise mail and the sending address will switch based on which mailbox you are currently in.

No, actually that sounds exactly like what I need (and I don't think it's something I've tried to use recently) so that sounds great, I'll go check it out, thanks!

Seiyal
Jul 9, 2015

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Not sure I completely understand what you're asking here, but Mail.app (the macOS bundled mail client) does this minus Outlook's bloat and laughable UI.

Sorry, I should probably clarify what I was meaning here and apologize for the delay in getting back to you all. (Outlook didn't seem to solve the issue either, sorry to say)
Basically, my current email program (Airmail) allows me to have all of the emails that come from various addresses under one header in my email. For example, if I get daily notifications that a file was uploaded into a file folder, the email address associated with that folder will email me and tell me what files were moved (and when). I can track activity in a certain folder by clicking on an email from that chain and all of the changes/additions/etc are within that email chain.

(Basically, I think it's mainly Conversation View but any other program that has said it has a conversation view never allows me to keep all of the emails viewable in 1 message; instead creating a new message for every update)

I apologize if I'm not explaining it very well, if I can do something to better elaborate, please let me know.

Seiyal
Jul 9, 2015

Is there another FTP client (other than the 3 in the OP) that people would recommend using?

I have Transmit, but I'm having issues with it at the moment and need to grab something else to test some theories about what's going on. Cyberduck seems to have gone pay-to-use and Filezilla installed a bunch of crap with it when I attempted to install it so that's a no go. Currently on High Sierra, if that helps.

Seiyal
Jul 9, 2015

The Milkman posted:

Cyberduck is Free, they just lightly nag you to donate (or buy from the App Store as a donation)

Hmm, that's odd. I tried to download it from their site and kept getting a 404, which is why I figured they were punting everyone over to the App Store. I'll see if I can find a download elsewhere then, because that'd hopefully solve a lot of my issues if I could use that to test with.

Seiyal
Jul 9, 2015

EL BROMANCE posted:

You can always ftp from command line, most of the commands are fairly straightforward.

That's true, of course. I'd like to try to use another program first (just to test if this is an issue with the program itself or something else) but that is hopefully an alternative if I can't narrow things down that way. Thank you for the reminder though, it's a good option to have!

Seiyal
Jul 9, 2015

Any good suggestions for IRC clients? Textual was my go-to but for some reason, it's stopped allowing private servers (or IRC servers not on their list) to work and I haven't gotten any response from them if there's an actual issue.

Seiyal
Jul 9, 2015

American McGay posted:

I used Colloloquy back in the day but also remember it being extremely mediocre.

Yeah, I've got that semi-working for the moment but you're correct that it's fairly bare bones at this point.

Seiyal
Jul 9, 2015

japtor posted:

Still seems to be working here, albeit on my own server on my LAN.

Yeah I finally ended up figuring out that it was an issue with how the server was attempting to connect. Had to do some digging but it eventually got figured out. I appreciate all the alternatives though, I'll definitely keep those on the back-burner just in case this was a temporary solution.

Seiyal
Jul 9, 2015

Since it's seemed to have become a more noticeable issue lately, are the recommended blockers in the 1st post (Wipr and 1Blocker) still the go-to's for ad-blocking/etc? I've noticed it on both iOS and macOS and figured I'd see if either would be a good starting point, since it looks like Wipr's on both and 1Blocker is slightly more elusive on iOS.

Seiyal
Jul 9, 2015

Weedle posted:

1blocker is the best one. Wipr doesn't support custom rules.

Awesome, I'll go check it out in the App stores then. Does it happen to have a different name or version in iOS for some reason? When I've been trying to get it to pop up in the iOS store, it seems to only show an app called Legacy instead for some reason.

Seiyal
Jul 9, 2015

Weedle posted:

No, it's just called "1Blocker" and it's the first result I see when I search for that. Are you on iOS 13?

Ah no, that'd be why, I've got an SE so I ended up staying on 12 for the time being. (I probably should upgrade to 13 at some point here)

Seiyal
Jul 9, 2015

Just wanted to thank you all for your help a couple of weeks back (was it that long wow). I ended up getting a new SE after going in and finding out that the issues I was having with my battery were actually kernel panics, so there's that.

My new SE is on iOS 13 so I'm finally planning to get a proper ad/content blocker and realized that some of these can work on both macOS and iOS? You all gave good suggestions so I was hoping if anyone had any advice as to what ones people liked overall? (IIRC, the ones mentioned were Adguard Pro, 1Blocker and Wipr?)

Also, on a completely different topic, if anyone has any alternate suggestions for extra browsers, I'd really appreciate any ideas. I've really liked Brave for just normal lookups/youtube watching/etc but have found it acting up like crazy as of late and really only want something small to use for some minor browsing. (Though, if I can get a good content blocker going, I may just stick with Safari in the long run.)

As always, thanks for all of your help and ideas, you've always been a great resource for me and I appreciate it!

Seiyal
Jul 9, 2015

So, my mid-2012 Pro froze during an update last night. Had to force shutdown and ran Disk Utility First Aid to fix whatever was ailing it. Now I’m seemingly stuck at what looks like 15-20% of the loading bar screen (the lovely gray boot screen) Unfortunately I really need to figure this out tonight so I figure I have 2 options for now.

1. Get a new hard drive and try to install a fresh install there. If that works, we’re good.

2. I have pretty urgent work needs that unfortunately need to be done tonight. So if the above will not work, I’ll need to go get a new unit. Probably an Air (since I was hoping to wait out for the new Pro units this fall)

Is there anything I’m just overlooking through all of this? (other than the worst timing etc). Thank you in advance for any help, it’s appreciated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seiyal
Jul 9, 2015

Yeah, I’m working on doing a operating system reinstall now but that’s definitely an option. I’m hopeful that this will fix it but a order/return may be a working solution if this doesn’t work.

Sad Panda posted:

What's the return policy? Pick up an Air now, do your work and see if you can fix the old one by then.