Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chutwig
May 28, 2001

BURLAP SATCHEL OF CRACKERJACKS

So, uh, apparently iTunes 10.4 is now 64-bit Cocoa on Lion? That seems like a bigger deal than is worthy of an incremental minor version bump.

EDIT: BIG NEWS ITUNES 10.4 ON LION DOES NOT HAVE ANNOYING STUPID NON-STANDARD WINDOW WIDGETS ANY MORE

chutwig fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Jul 20, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chutwig
May 28, 2001

Bob Morales posted:

If you're using Ruby with Lion, like one of our developers who upgraded, make sure you pull XCode 4.1 because you won't be able to build any gems or anything since it won't find the header files.

Do what now? I upgraded to Lion, have Xcode 4.1 installed, and have been merrily chugging away with my Ruby gems for weeks. I think you're jumping to conclusions.

chutwig
May 28, 2001

Accipiter posted:

I did read your post. As I just mentioned, you can't create a limited guest account with FileVault enabled.

The alleged "Guest Account" that shows up on the login screen isn't actually a "Guest Account", but some kind of bastardized Safari-Only account.

I wish you read my posts, rckstar79. :v:

If anyone wants to turn said feature off:

chutwig
May 28, 2001

PDP-1 posted:

I'm a PC user and I just got an Adobe InDesign file from a Mac-using graphic artist. She used a ton of different fonts in her layout and sent me a packaged file that includes the font definitions so that I can review her work on my system. The problem is that these font files showed up without any extension (.ttf, .otf, etc) so my system doesn't know how to interpret them. I tried manually renaming them to include the top three or four most common font type extensions, but no luck - they generate 'invalid font file' errors when used.

Do macs have any kind of font definitions that commonly don't use any file extensions? Is there some way to detect what kind of font types these files represent, or easily convert them to something that a PC can read?

If they have no file extensions at all, they could be old fonts (originating from pre-OS X) where the typeface data was stored in the resource fork. If she sent the fonts to you in a zip file, look for a file named ._derp, where 'derp' is the name of the file. That file is the resource fork. If it's significantly larger than the file it shares its name with, then it's an old one. I don't think there's much you can do in that event. OS X generally deprecated that style of storing typefaces and mostly uses normal TrueType/OpenType fonts.

The only possibility that I can think of that might work for you, if you have access to a Linux system, is to use FontForge to possibly convert it to something else. You could try analyzing it with the file command to see if it can identify the font type.

chutwig
May 28, 2001

I had problems with the initial iTunes Match upload, not because of iTunes Match itself but because my cable modem kept making GBS threads itself and restarting constantly when iTunes pegged the upload at 6MB/sec for more than a few seconds. Fortunately, there is a way to fix this!

In a terminal, run:
code:
sudo ipfw pipe 1 config bw ###Kbit/s
...where ### is whatever you want to cap upload speed at. You can also say 2Mbit/s or something like that. Once that's done, run:
code:
sudo ipfw add 1 pipe 1 dst-port 443
...to cap the maximum speed you can send data to port 443 (iTunes Match uses HTTPS) at whatever you set the pipe to be. Once you're done, run:
code:
sudo ipfw delete 1
...to revert the changes.

chutwig
May 28, 2001

Mu Zeta posted:

Mine kernel panics when I try to connect my Thinkpad to the wifi network created through internet sharing. It's partly why I finally bought a wireless router.

That shouldn't happen ever. Have you submitted the kernel panic logs to the Apple bug tracker?

chutwig
May 28, 2001

stray posted:

Here's a quick question for the thread.

Mac OS X Lion comes with Python 2.7.1 installed, but since Apple probably won't update it until 10.8 comes out, I've installed 2.7.2 using homebrew. However, when I use which python, it still points to the python in /usr/bin. Homebrew installed the newer Python to /usr/local/bin, so how do I tell Mac OS to use that Python instead of the default?

PATH=/usr/local/bin:$PATH in ~/.profile is the Nice Way to do it (probably nicer than using alias). Doesn't Homebrew make that change automatically? It was in my .profile, though I might have added it myself previously.

chutwig
May 28, 2001

fleshweasel posted:

Also don't forget BetterTouchTool's Aero snap clone features. Drag on a window, bring your cursor to the top of the screen and release to maximize, or drag to the left or right edge to fill up half the screen.

I prefer Moom for that kind of stuff, because it seems weird to me for that kind of window management to be in BTT.

chutwig
May 28, 2001

Manky posted:

Are there any good RSS readers anymore? NetNewsWire hasn't been updated since, what, September? Last time I used Gruml it was unstable as all get out and also hasn't been updated since October. Google Reader syncing a must, free would be preferable but I could a little money if it's really good.

Reeder is... okay. It also does not seem to get updated often and I really wish it had NNW's option to not load plugins in embedded browser views, but it's adequate.

Is it necessary to change readers just because NNW hasn't been updated in a while, though? As long as it still syncs with Google Reader, you should be good, right?

chutwig
May 28, 2001

I think this was discussed a while ago in some other thread, but what are all the cool kids using for online backup these days? I was a Mozy subscriber for a few years but doubling their rates was the first strike and then their software took a turn for the even shittier and started regularly trying to use up all available memory and CPU time on my computer, so I finally dropped them and I'm looking for something else now.

My main concern is the quality of their OS X backup client; the Mozy one was terrible and a massive resource hog. The competitors I'm aware of are Carbonite, CrashPlan, and iBackup. Does anyone have a recommendation out of one of these? I'm not particularly worried about cost.

chutwig
May 28, 2001

Ziploc posted:

What does one do if they want smart borders on a Mac?

Like dragging to side to fill 50% of the screen.

Moom will do this exactly and let you set it up in a nice user-friendly way.

chutwig
May 28, 2001

jt posted:

What's the best portage software these days? MacPorts, Fink? It's been a while since I got a new Mac and have been using MacPorts forever... anything better out there?

Homebrew because it's simple and runs without needing escalated privileges.

chutwig
May 28, 2001

Thoom posted:

One thing I've noticed is that Apple's VNC, when used on both client and server, is about a bazillion times faster than anything I've used on Windows. It seems to be a lot better about only updating the parts of the screen that changed, and degrades the image quality if bandwidth is lacking. Is there some specific setting or connection type that would allow other clients to behave like that when connecting to a Mac server?

You mean when you're using Screen Sharing on a Mac to connect to another Mac? I think it uses some sort of JPEG-type compression.

chutwig
May 28, 2001

WHOIS John Galt posted:

I seem to have been bitten by an oddly specific bug that causes audio stuttering in Mountain Lion. Handful of people on the Apple forums have observed it, and no fix in sight. Boo. It makes listening to iTunes and doing basically anything else at the same time unusable. Has anyone else seen this?

EDIT: Strangely enough, a huge contingent of people with the problem seem to be the World of Warcraft forums. So It's probably the going through the OpenGL pipeline that's causing it.

What hardware? Maybe it's like the problem I'm having with audio stuttering when running on integrated graphics on my retina MBP.

chutwig
May 28, 2001

Bob Morales posted:

Anyone have a favorite network sniffer (that works with wireless) for Mac?

tcpdump?

chutwig
May 28, 2001

Polymerized Cum posted:

When speaking of MP3s, are bitrate and size a linear relationship?

I have 88.4 GB of music on my computer, in 320KBps CBR MP3 format. I need to buy an iPod of some flavor as i'll be working on a ship for a year. If I went to, say, 160KBps, would my music now weigh 44.2GB?

If it's CBR, yes. You'll probably want to use VBR or AAC though; VBR will reduce the bitrate in portions of the MP3 that don't need it, and AAC offers better quality for the bitrate all the way around. You'll lose a little fidelity when transcoding, but converting from 320 Kbps will probably not sound perceptibly different.

chutwig
May 28, 2001

Martytoof posted:

Yeah, these days it's a rare sight.

You know what's not a rare sight these days? NVIDIA driver flip-outs that manifest as "NVDA channel exception" in the system logs when NVIDIA's poo poo-rear end garbage drivers take a poo poo. It might as well be a kernel panic, because it's completely unrecoverable.

chutwig
May 28, 2001

Martytoof posted:

That's weird. Are they the stock drivers or are you installing aftermarket drivers?

I'm running a 6870 but I was thinking about throwing an NVIDIA card in my next machine (but I'll leave the hackintosh chat for the appropriate thread)

Stock drivers on a retina MBP. It's a known issue that's been around since ML beta, but Apple ended up shipping Mountain Lion with broken drivers and maybe NVIDIA will deliver working drivers at some point in the future. There's all sorts of poo poo that can trigger the crash, my favorite of which is turning on MapsGL in Google Maps in Safari, which results in an almost-instantaneous explosion.

This isn't new to ML either; NVIDIA delivered some seriously buggy drivers for a few point releases during Lion that caused my old MBP to blow up playing Starcraft 2, among other things.

chutwig
May 28, 2001

Lexicon posted:

Any Evernote 5 users here worked out how to search within a specific notebook? Even if I have a particular notebook selected, searches return all sorts of results from every notebook of mine, as well as shared notebooks I've been invited to. It really breaks my old workflow for finding my own notes.

Hell, I'd be satisfied with turning off search for shared notebooks at this point.

If I click on the search field in the upper-right, there's an "Add search option" on the popover that lets you select a particular notebook. If you have a single notebook selected, that notebook will also show up in the search field popover as a choice you can select instead of Everything.

chutwig
May 28, 2001

Jabe posted:

A lot of people have this problem ( including me )

If it ever goes slow again, reset the SMC and you should be good to go.

Have you or anyone else figured out how to reproduce it? I have a bug open with Apple on the issue and they asked for a sysdiagnose report when it happens again (press Shift-Control-Option-Command-Period), and of course now I can't get the goddamn computer to do it.

chutwig
May 28, 2001

Mister Macys posted:

How/can I preview .gif files without opening Safari?

Double-clicking just opens Preview, and all it does is show each individual frame.

Quick Look (press Space) will show it in animated form.

chutwig
May 28, 2001

Lexicon posted:

So it turns out that you can dismiss Mountain Lion notifications by clicking and dragging them off to the right. This is especially great for the notifications that don't have a dismiss button - I'm looking at you App Store.

My girlfriend, not a computery person, taught me this. Mind blown. Is this move widely known?

You can also swipe them off.

chutwig
May 28, 2001

Anyone out there who's upgraded to High Sierra and uses a non-Apple networked Time Machine setup? I would like to replace my antique Time Capsule with a Synology of some sort, but want to hear from people that it's all copacetic (or I should wait because they need to do something for APFS or Time Machine over SMB).

chutwig
May 28, 2001

Splinter posted:

AFAIK Windows 10 still only does left half or right half with a single keyboard combo. Quadrants can be done with corner snap and snap assist, but these require the mouse and/or multiple steps, and still this is relatively basic compared to what 3rd party software can accomplish. Am I missing something here?

Quadrants can be done with Win-Up or Win-Down right after doing Win-Left or Win-Right. You can also maximize with Win-Up multiple times or minimize with Win-Down multiple times, and Win-Shift-Arrow will move the window across desktops.

When I'm using Windows, these key shortcuts are fine. When I'm using a Mac, Magnet/Moom are fine. This doesn't seem like something worthy to have a holy war argument about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chutwig
May 28, 2001

I had a problem in the past where some of the iCloud plumbing for the syncing got messed up for my iCloud account. It manifested as things syncing irregularly (especially Keychain), TrustedPeersHelper on my Mac constantly churning at high CPU, and heavy power drain on my phone and watch.

Throwing away the local trusted peers database and signing out of iCloud for an extended period of time on all my devices (multiple hours) helped to reset it. tpctl on the Mac is a tool that lets you inspect the current state of a lot of the iCloud sync plumbing, but it's one of those mystery Apple binaries that isn't really documented.