Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

MZ posted:

I've used Parallels a lot over the years for Windows emulation on Mac, and it works really well for the most part. My question is, is there an equivalent software that emulates macOS on Windows?

Reason being, I'm making the switch to a new Windows machine - my 2011 iMac needs a main-board replacement which isn't really worth it as it's almost £300 for an i7 board on ebay.

If you dont mind :filez: there is an app called unlocker for vmware player/workstation that does the trick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
I don’t know if it does count as Mac software but the upcoming keynote is going to be streamed on YouTube, so it’s no longer scorched earth policy for google services? Are they going to use it as an embed on the website and keep the apple cdn for ATV usage only?

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

AlternateAccount posted:

Do you know if they have deals for actual public school teachers?

If your school is using office 365 A3 or higher (or microsoft 365 A3 or higher) you could just use your credentials to fetch a free license.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Pivo posted:

I don't see why virtualization software wouldn't allow it, though.

Cause virtualization requires the same uARCH on host or guest, else we are talking emulation which is an entirely different can of worms. You could virtualize arm64 windows on arm64 mac but not AMD64 windows on arm64 mac.

Running live emulation requires a lot of extra compute power else you get a lot of slowdowns (compare doing snes emultation performance to n64 or gamecube).

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Pivo posted:

Might want to double check you’d read the post before solliloquizing.

I said there is no point to natively booting ARM Windows, especially since it would need to support Apple-specific SoC features to run decently. Lots of work for no benefit (no backwards compat with historical Windows software). But virtualizing ARM Windows? Why not. Some third party could offer that for whoever really wants it.

Every program used on the windows 10 arm demos (AKA office or creative cloud) is emulated 32bit x86. It runs slowly on bare metal and it will run slower on virtualized. The native software library for windows 10 arm is smaller than beos last time i checked.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

Searched a couple of pages back, and done a bit of googling. I need a way to stream music from my NAS to my imac, preferably using UPNP. VLC seems to have some issues with browsing big UPNP shares, what are my other options?

Any dlna client will throw a hiss fit when dealing with more than a couple hundred files over a dlna folder, qnap nas will let you browse the media folders one by one rather than a single big repository but i guess other brands let you do the same.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Sri.Theo posted:

On Microsoft teams you’re supposed to be able to share a PowerPoint directly (not as a window) that lets participants scrub back and forth while you’re talking. It also lets you see the presenter notes and participant videos.

But that option doesn’t show up on teams on my Mac- does anyone know if it’s gated to windows?

It's gated to having a recent office installed locally, no need for windows

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

terre packet posted:

This popup started showing up after I installed Big Sur:

I had no idea what it was, so after poking around I found this stuff in /Library/StagedExtensions/Library/Extensions:

And all these in /Library/StagedExtensions/Library/Frameworks/EveUSB.framework/Versions/A/Support:

Any idea what this stuff is? I don't own any CalDigit products, or have any kind of RAID array.

Do you have any ethernet to usb or serial adapter? That is what that driver is for.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

japtor posted:

Which could be on one of those USB-C dongles w/multiple ports. Just mentioning it in case you have one and never use and forgot about the Ethernet jack.

https://www.eltima.com/

They do the opposite, they make software for encapsulate usb or serial data and trasmit over ethernet. It's not for dock purposes, i've seen similar stuff on kits to remote control rs232 instruments.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Nitrousoxide posted:

I did a few seconds of searching and maybe this would work? When I stayed in Germany for a month a couple of years ago I had a setup that this likely would have worked for.

https://9to5mac.com/2016/09/02/netatmo-smart-thermostat-smart-radiator-valves-homekit-europe/

Netatmo thermo requires internet to do the programming so if their cloud server goes down/app gets discontinued, you won’t be able to edit the thermostat/valves schedule(just instant temperature). Source: my Netatmo thermostat + valves.

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Dec 26, 2020

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Nitrousoxide posted:

Can’t you just create automations in HomeKit for that?

Just set the trigger as a time of day and the action to be changing the temperature or adjusting the valves. I don’t think anything should have to happen in the app for the device.

The valves/thermostat have no object/programming permanence, every status change comes from the internet so if internet goes down, HomeKit might not be able to fire up automation. I’ll test it tomorrow as RN the boiler is shut down.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Bobstar posted:

I saw them and discounted it because

"No Internet connection just means that controlling your heating or air conditioning remotely via the mobile or web app is not possible during this time."

And also because lots of people were moaning about a monthly fee to use the app, but again, if basic temperature setting via HomeKit is possible on LAN only, that would be fine (and cheaper than the Netatmo mentioned above).

As promised I tested isolating the Netatmo bridge internet access, commands over Siri fails, direct modifications over HomeKit(home app) works.

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Dec 30, 2020

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Also a non negligible number of apps still have a iPhone, iPad and macOS separate app model, merging means lost revenue in that case.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Sri.Theo posted:

Does anyone here use Microsoft Teams? I have to use it for an upcoming call and it's being a pain.

I'm logging in with my email address (the same one I use for my Office365 account) but it keeps taking me to a "Welcome to Teams" screen where I have to select the name of an organisation I had a meeting with once months ago - presumably because they sent me an invite.

But that just sends me to another sign on screen for them which obviously I don't have a valid account for.

Is there anyway to remove that association? I've tried uninstalling the app but it does nothing.

Open it in a private safari/edge/chrome tab, ignore every request/suggestion to open it in the desktop app and see if it still fails.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Sri.Theo posted:

It may also seem that personal accounts just can't use the Mac App by itself, you need a work account first

http://teams.live.com/ is for personal accounts(live) , https://teams.microsoft.com is for business accounts(azure ad). The app is for business accounts only.

EDIT: Newtek has remade their NDI app for android so if you need to do conferencing and you need a decent camera you now have that option(ios had that option for a while, free during the early lockdown), sadly it's quite pricey but unless you have a barebone android phone the selfie camera is likely better that whatever you can source for the price(or get in your mac)

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Apr 10, 2021

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Sri.Theo posted:

I will make the browser app work, just not sure how it works with slides etc. Also still no way to remove that old guest account without being able to log in.

At least on chromium it’s 1:1 parity, only certain keyboard hot keys have issues

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

FuzzySlippers posted:

Any idea what this new icon is?

I don't use macs and my father in law gets jumpy when new icons suddenly start popping up. This has been pretty awkward to google

Handover/continuity . Safari is detecting that the same user is logged on multiple devices and it’s suggesting to open the last tab from what it looks to be another macOS device.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Dick Trauma posted:

I'm still using the Late 2013 MBP the CEO at my old job gave me as a gift, and it's running Mojave. Didn't realize how far behind I'd fallen. Is there any reason I shouldn't let it upgrade straight to Big Sur?

I can see that this machine won't be supported by the next OS so I will finally be forced to replace it if I want to stay current. That was a good run for a free computer!

Be sure to have a decent amount of ram and a ssd, running Big Sur on a hdd is going to be awful.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

ThermoPhysical posted:

It's for IT Infrastructure class at my university. The professor does Zoom calls, requires the camera and mic be on and does recordings but refuses to make them available for download in any fashion so I have to save them myself because the internet and power can be spotty here. Docker is a new thing that started being needed as of a few weeks ago and the MBA M1 doesn't seem to like Docker or Zoom..but I hate Zoom too so it's not alone.

If your prof wasn't such an rear end in a top hat i would suggest to use NDI to offload the audio & video to another recorder but it will make a very evident popup that will startle the professor.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

ThermoPhysical posted:

In class right now (well, doing class on Zoom). We're not using Docker today and just listening to a guest speaker from Microsoft go on and on about random things not exactly pertaining to things we've done from class... Anyway, the MBA doesn't seem to like the recording + video + mic + Zoom + Chrome. I think I'll look into the MBP 14 or 16 if it drops. This includes sending video to a 4k display as well.

If not, can the M1 MBA be traded in for the M1 MBP from 2020 or is there no trade value for the M1s yet?

I would suggest hunting a standalone video recorder, like an epiphan webcaster x2(or a pearl nano if you are flush). Zoom is going to suck no matter how much iron you throw at it if you plan to do the call, recording it and do the labs on the same machine.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

ThermoPhysical posted:

After accessing what's been going on, I think it would actually be more beneficial for me to just get a Mac Mini and not use the MBA for classes unless I'm not at home and actually on-campus (which I won't be for the foreseeable future thanks to COVID). Plus, the Mini is cheaper than the MacBook Pro at similar specs and fits better into my budget. Also, I'd get to keep the MBA which I really do like outside of the warming issues I've gotten.

If you plan to use the mini for labs I would suggest evaluating the nbase/10g network upgrade so that you can use remote storage almost as quick as local

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

ThermoPhysical posted:

Would this be worth getting if my NAS doesn't support 10g (Synology DS920+) and my Internet is only half a gig?

Nothing stops you to eventually upgrade to a more powerful nas. The 10g port is not about internet speeds but internal networks so you could use your m1 to provide(or receive) services to(or from) multiple hosts at 1g(as long as you have a 10g port on your switch). You cannot upgrade a single bit of the m1 so I would suggest to splash a bit on features during purchase.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

ThermoPhysical posted:

Oh sweet that does actually sound pretty cool.

I could plug the Synology into that port if I can move things around to do so, then get faster speeds. Could also use it as LAN instead if needed?

Your current synology is locked to 1g, direct connect won’t help. What are you currently using for switching duties? A dedicated switch or your isp router?

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

ThermoPhysical posted:

Right now, the Synology is just connected to the dedicated switch (my connection is just half a gigabit currently) and everything it does anything with does so by network drives. I'll admit, Networking isn't really my strong suit.

Since networking is technically out of scope for the thread, I think we should move to DM if we want to analyze it further, let me know if you need more help.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Small White Dragon posted:

Is Mojave-in-VMWare a reasonable solution? (Of course, doesn't help you once you leave Intel.)

As long as you are using a intel Mac, the classic patches for workstation and esxi have slowed down quite a bit(esxi unlocked development is pretty much over) so I don’t think that is a viable option in the long run.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

101 posted:

Is there a good tool for bulk-removing subtitles from .mkv files?

I'm using MKVToolNix atm but I have to go through each file one by one and the UI is awful on the Mac

Still CLI but you could use ffmpeg to mass create mkvs using video and audio copy on track 1 of each.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Martytoof posted:

I mean I'm not sure there's any OS where you can just cleanly uninstall an app and it'll leave zero trace in all cases. It would be cool is Apple Sherlock'd AppCleaner and integrated it into the recycle bin. You'd think the OS should be smart enough to detect "oh hey I dragged an app in here, maybe let's clean up after it if we can" but I mean the fact that it doesn't is why we're having this discussion.

Funnily enough, windows 8 era store apps had a operational sandbox so tight, they really had no place to fit files and configurations outside of it. The only vestiges of that is in Xbox one, current windows store lets developers poo poo your computer freely.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

doingitwrong posted:

Does any of the stuff left behind impact performance or are we trading tips on computer janitoring?

It makes the iOS like “remove app and reinstall” trick not solve configuration-based bugs for one, also it will eventually become a problem on lower specs machines esp if the files are data caches.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

BrianRx posted:

Speaking of Parallels, is there a reason to pay for it when you can just use VMware or VirtualBox for free? I think both even have an integrated mode so that you don't have to switch between your host and guest OSes if you don't want to. I see it offers MDM, so is it more of an enterprise solution than a tool for individuals?

There is no free VMware for Mac OS, player is available only for windows or Linux. Virtualbox is pretty much the worse possible user experience compared any other commercial virtualization so wanting fusion or parallels instead is understandable.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

smax posted:

VMWare Fusion is now free for personal use.

Sorry, I considered the PUL clause automatically irrelevant since it bans any usage in a commercial environment but the question didn’t mentioned a business scenario.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Twerk from Home posted:

We've got fast storage arrays, faster than gigabit networking, and many Wifi 6e WAPs. I want to expose this fast network storage to Macs. Am I going to suffer less with SMB or NFS? I'd default to NFS, but I've had some bad experiences with Mac NFS before.

Edit: Or do I want to do FTP and deal with firewall rule hell to control access. :thunk:

Check if your NAS can handle smb v3.x , if it does you will not have to search for alternative protocols to go full speed(keep in mind wifi 6e still sucks for heavy data transfer, I would investigate thunderbolt nics to go faster than gigabit).

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

KKKLIP ART posted:

Is there a way to control my Apple Music playing on my iPhone and vice vera? I know with Spotify, you can use either as a remote for the other, but I'd love the ability with Apple Music as well.

Apple expects you to buy an apple watch for the privilege of controlling your apple music on the go

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

KKKLIP ART posted:

I also have an Apple Watch. It’s just actually easy with Spotify, you just open the app and any divide can control the one playing music. Was hoping for similar functionality

Another option you could try is this

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205644

which is still less optimal than spotify remote control

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

I'd love to get my Outlook calendar syncing with my Apple devices' calendar. My organization uses PCs, but they let me use Outlook on my iPhone. I'd rather not add my work account on my iPhone as this would provide them with control over my personal device. Any ideas?

It all depends on the work mdm stance, if they demand enrolling in the work mdm you won't be able to connect otherwise. Outlook app should be able to add work accounts without full device enroll, did you test installing and adding your work email there?

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

an actual cat irl posted:

I feel like the answer to this question is 'no', but I want to ask anyway, just in case.

Is there a way to force particular apps to use certain network interfaces at the OS level, without dealing with setting up static routes? I have powerline ethernet setup, which gives me an extremely stable connection but isn't particularly fast. I'd like to force apps like Zoom, Discord etc to use that connection, and have everything else use wifi. Setting up static routes for Zoom seems like a colossal pain in the hole.

I feel that upgrading the powerline to modern kit would be less convoluted that application-level network load balancing, can you check what make/model of powerline kit you currently have?

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

some kinda jackal posted:

Is there any way to just tell macOS to... not use a plugged in display?

We've gone to a space-booking system at work rather than assigned seating and all the offices have a usb-c dock with an external monitor for laptops. This is great except I don't want a secondary display. It's very much a first world problem but I'm just used to my one-monitor laptop workflow and this second display is distracting.

Unless there's a cmdline or app that will physically tell macOS to ignore a plugged in display it seems my options are

- unplug the monitor from the dock, which I will invariably forget to plug back in before I leave and have the IT guys yelling at me every time

- turn off the display, which means my cursor and windows just get lost offscreen if I happen to move my trackpad too far

and obviously the third option is just to gently caress off an live with it, which I will if there's no DIY option, but humour me.

Mirroring my built in display and just turning it off doesn't really work since the monitor is a lower res than my MBP so it contorts the resolution to try and match.

SwitchResX had a "disable this monitor" option last time i used a few years ago

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Thanks Ants posted:

So you just want to use the dock for power, or you want to use everything except the display?

Edit: I was going down the path of a power-only USB-C extension cable but PD needs the data lines to negotiate the power levels, so that's not an option.

I think that rewiring the docks was one of the scenarios that was suggested to avoid due to risk of forgetting to reset for the next user.

some kinda jackal posted:

- unplug the monitor from the dock, which I will invariably forget to plug back in before I leave and have the IT guys yelling at me every time

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

LODGE NORTH posted:

I used to use a MacBook to record DnD sessions between friends on Discord. Just record the fullscreen, record computer audio, but set it to silent -- out of site, out of mind.

However, now that I have a proper Mac, I have access to... real power. So I know my Mac could, in theory, handle a screen recording happening in the background, is there any way to actually do that? Is there a way I can use a Virtual Desktop (or something), full screen Discord, and do the same thing without the audio coming through my speakers?

It's very convoluted, I know, but I feel like some odd hodgepodge of apps might make it somewhat possible.

Use a dedicated HDMI recorder. I stan for epiphan so i suggest giving the webcaster a look(the pearls are too expensive).

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Good Sphere posted:

What is the best, free password manager that works both for macOS and iOS? The one I’m using now is shutting down their services.

Keepassium is aggressively updating their ios code to work on macos, i'm testing it and it's decent for free(until it goes live). iOS app is freemium.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

i use keep rear end at work and find it pretty frustrating.

Keepass and keepassXC have a strong "we want the baseline to work everywhere" at the expense of integration, keepassium on the other hand is focused on apple, being the only one out of this three with native autofill support on safari. I suggest to give it a shot, since right now the macOS client is providing full features while in beta.