Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
A new security feature with Catalina:

“macOS Catalina runs in a dedicated, read-only system volume — which means it is completely separate from all other data, and nothing can overwrite your critical operating system files.”

:hmm:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
Certain recent career moves brought me back into the (modern) Mac framework (still have an OG cheesegrater and Xserve kicking around). I had completely sworn off the iphone and the ipad buttttt.....

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
Yeah for the smaller guys it makes sense but I just lost a CC sub through my previous employer and I looked at replacing it and it's just loving stupid. Yeah, I'd like to have the functionality and its nice when its there but I can't justify 50 bucks a goddamn month.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
I do project management and hardware at work is exclusively Apple. I've heard good things about Merlin and I've started a trial, anything else I should look into?

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

Hed posted:

How can I disable Spotlight from suggesting web sites? I keep getting browser tabs going to expedia.com when I try to quickly Cmd+Space to launch an app that starts with "Express".

use Alfred

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
I don't know what the thread consensus is on Alfred, but after coming back to daily driving a Mac after nearly a decade away, it was one of my first installs. I had never bought the powerpack because I thought it unnecessary but this workflow absolutely made it 1000% necessary and will save me so much goddamn time posting on these dead gay forums.

http://www.packal.org/workflow/latest-clipboard-image-imgur-uploader

It automatically uploads the clipboard image to imgur. Beautiful. Fairly quick, too, seems snappier than using their webapp, probably using an API call of some sort.

I'll just have to get used to *CTRL* CMD SHIFT 4. :shobon:

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

Tippis posted:

This is the Right Choice™.

Shawn show yourself

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
128GB of storage might as well be 128MB of RAM in 2019

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
e: probs shouldn't be associating this

Crunchy Black fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Aug 14, 2019

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
So does this stem from AD not playing nice with keychain and it being T2-tangential or?

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
Seems like...an oversight? :downs:

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

eames posted:

What's the best hypervisor to use in macOS these days? Veertu used to work great but seems to have been discontinued.
I still have a very outdated license of VMware Fusion but I read that most of the original developers were laid off and the software quality is allegedly declining. Is Virtualbox better now?

What is your intended use case?

Veertu is still around, they just are focusing on Anka, which is more geared towards ephemeral VMs for CI/CD, using Minis for worker nodes, which if you're just trying to run windows or linux on the desktop isn't really a solution.

Thread consensus seems to be to stay away from newer versions of Fusion.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

Proteus Jones posted:

Why? I've had zero issues with it.

But if work didn't pay for my license, I definitely would use Virtual Box.

upthread I recall some concern over spyware/monitoring. I only use OSX these days cause it's work mandated so my opinion is probably bad and wrong! the touchbar is idiotic and I wish I could disable it and get maybe 20 more minutes of battery life!

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

nitsuga posted:

There’s something weird with the licensing I thought. Basically, you have to have it entitled to your Apple ID to get it via Recovery. You might have to install an older OS then upgrade to El Capitan or make an installer using another Mac.

It doesn’t explain what I’m thinking, but here’s Apple’s suggestions: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT206886

Yeah with the move to ElCap there can be some weirdness with Apple ID if you didn't initially setup the machine there because of the provisions of Apple ID.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

tuyop posted:

I liked just setting up an RPi as a printer server. But I imagine the drivers are basically the same for something that old.

Yeah if using something older that has published, unsigned drivers, this is probably your best best.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
I work for one of the big mac hosting companies and even internally we were told, "give it a few weeks" before we give you the all clear to update.

Jesus christ what a mess.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
e: probably shouldn't be that specific but well played

Bob Morales posted:

How many mac minis do you have running in your garage? :swoon:

Only own a cheese grater and an xserve ;)

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
Outlook (for Mac) is one of the worst goddamn abominations ever written.

The ancient plugin system doesn't help it. I get at least a random crash a week that also doesn't send the message when trying to create Zoom meetings that are sending an external invite.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

Jose Oquendo posted:

Who even needs email. Set up a rule to send it all to your trash. If someone emails you something important, they'll call in a few days.

qft

seriously though if you're a person who uses email internally I will throw you out a window.

e:

Powered Descent posted:

I'll just Slack it to you, that's so much better than email for some reason. :suicide:

at least the search is *functional*

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
So how much poo poo did this update fix break?

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
CCC is what we use in a large scale environ for Macs for what its worth.

Binary Badger posted:

I dunno, read the readme I posted I guess. If anything did breaking, it was 10.15.0

was the /s tag necessary?

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
n*thing, I've been running a phiole locally for years, works great. Lately, I've setup a VPN on the free AWS tier. About to migrate the pi to the cloud because its easier to manage and higher avail.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

MarcusSA posted:

My mind is a little blown if FV has been trying to run for 7 years lol.

Its loving incredible that Macs ever run.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

terre packet posted:

Is there an app or shortcut that can change mouse settings with a single action? Specifically I’d like to toggle between two presets for tracking speed and scroll direction.

Better Touch Tool can probably handle this.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

Pivo posted:

I would be mad at Apple. This doesn't really happen on Windows or Linux

Yeah, um, what!@?

kefkafloyd posted:

Microsoft may try to keep things "unbroken" more than Apple, but I prefer actually making some progress now and then, versus... whatever the hell it is I use on Win10 every day. That's also not including Microsoft's general QA decline in the past few years, but that's a separate problem which Apple is also suffering from too.

Are you using the same win10 everyone else is? Or do you have a special use case? Cause osx shits itself far more on my work machine than my win10 machine has in the last 3 years.

Crunchy Black fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Dec 8, 2019

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
Yep, when I'm working from home, my mac stays open on my desk only to take Zoom calls because I don't have a USB camera on my desktop. Outlook for Mac is a war crime. The 365 webapp is nearly better to use.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
I got a copy of OS/2 Warp through, of all things, an AI SS one year. I'm sure its in one of these boxes somewhere....

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
Order is placed. Apple claims we'll have our Pros in the office in 2 weeks.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

Last Chance posted:

Holy poo poo, I remember Growl.app. RIP

Jesus, that's a trip down memory lane.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
Yeah iStat is INDISPENSABLE if you're a customization dork or work with people in multiple time zones.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
Cross posting from the AMD thread, weirdly enough, but look what showed up today

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

We're not ordering anymore until we can get the rack version on order. We didn't even buy a XDR to put on display in the Lobby or anything :D

The shocking thing was that it stayed on a common bench in HQ without anyone grabbing it for their desk, someone booting it or the Systems guys coming up from the DC and raiding us for it. [We unboxed about 9am] Most people treated it like the piece of art it is lol

This is the 12c, 24c due by end of week.

e:

enojy posted:

Yes, preferably with OP in the shot, in a B-boy stance.
I don't have a full Adidas track suit, sorry

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

Chris Knight posted:

That ain't software, chief.

Thanks for your powerful insight and link to the Mac hardware thread on this esteemed forum.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
Yeah, wait, what!? You have a USB HDD(s) connected to a Shield trying to host them? That's not what that bit of hardware is designed to do, boss.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

Proteus Jones posted:

The Shield/Shield Pro can be configured to use USB3 storage for a media/PLEX library. You can also set it up to use network mounted drives/NAS. At least it could as of the 2017 hardware.

EDIT: OK, I will concede you needed to install ES-File-Explorer for the keep-alive so the USB didn't go to sleep. Still super simple to set up drive on USB to be used with PLEX on the Shield.

Okay I misunderstood. I thought you were trying to host a Plex library for *other devices* to access with a Shield. Carry on.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
Wayyyy up on last page but I couldn't live without the calendar and time functionality of iStat if you need to see things at a glance.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
I've got Duo at work and it doesn't play nice with my Ubikey on Apple, so yeah, maybe?

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
I got my MA970LL 3,1 onto High Sierra today so I don't have to strap my MBP to the desk so, thanks, quarantine?

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

~Coxy posted:

I finally got a 5700XT so Catalina is in my future...

Lets just say I know its possible to make it work on HS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

Yes, though this isn't just a Catalina thing, they've been making this push for years now. The next major Macbook update will have an ARM processor. :toxx:

~Coxy posted:

Please let me know any relevant info that you have!

Although it seems like a bunch of updated games actually require System 10.14 or 10.15 so I will probably upgrade at some point anyway.

What's your actual hardware platform? Mac Pro 3,1 can do it with the usual kext mods you can find with a google dosdude but idk any complications if your hackintoshing, etc. If you're using it to game there may be additional complications I haven't run into.