Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

So I just found out about the new Sealed System Volume function and the demise of kexts and I'm noooooooooooot sure how I feel about this. Especially since Big Sur's firewall framework (which apps like Little Snitch are required to use) exempts a bunch of apple apps from traffic management, whether the end user would manage them or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

BobHoward posted:

Most 2D indie games shouldn't care about CPU use much, try just leaving poo poo open and see IMO.

Emulation can easily be harder on the CPU than a native 2d platformer, btw.

I've found emulation to be the strongest test of a computer's CPU and GPU that exists. Not only do you emulate an entire architecture, but you do so in ways that are often counter to the host's preferred ways of doing things.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Jeff Fatwood posted:

Wasn't the whole joke of the "Wine Is Not an Emulator" name that it is an emulator. It's even more ironically funny now that it's running x86 on an ARM Mac. Like definitely that's an emulator.

Originally, as I understand, Wine wasn't an emulator; just a set of alternate library functions - because the code had ASM for the same processor architecture (x86), but used different library functions, it acted as a compatibility layer to the OS.

Now it's acting as a compatibility layer to macOS's x86 emulator, soooooooo...?

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Can you edit the password directly in Keychain Access?

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Violator posted:

The app Little Snitch will stop stuff from phoning home, but apparently some Apple services can bypass it.

They couldn't until Apple specifically put in a bypass in Big Sur... :/

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Wild EEPROM posted:

macos Full screen behavior is loving dumb and should never have been the default or included in any way and the sooner it goes away the better but since this is the apple of tim its never going away

I mean, I quite like it, because I can just task out by swiping right with four fingers with the app having to change window mode and take a bunch of time.
Then I can just swap back after.

Note that I am on a laptop, though.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Zenostein posted:

Fullscreen is nice for when you're absolutely just using one app, but I'd really prefer a switch so the green button could go back to being zoom by default.

May I recommend BetterTouchTool? It lets you customize trackpad and other gestures and shortcuts - and you can make it so that clicking the green button zooms the window by default. I have.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Bob Morales posted:

Gimme back Charcoal

I miss Charcoal, too.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

FCKGW posted:

Internet recovery has been the preferred/ supported way for several years now

What about Target Disk Mode? Does that still exist?

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

I just want to chime in and say I have paid for BBEdit and I love it. In particular, it has an absolutely ironclad autosave support where no matter what happens, if your computer loses power, whatever - your most recent work should reappear intact, regardless of whether you saved to the file on disk.

But if you want something lighter-weight, set TextEdit to plain text mode and turn smart quotes off.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

redeyes posted:

Why does apple have such a boner for ULTMATE SECURITY. It's loving obnoxious.

They started getting paranoid when the FBI asked them to backdoor their iPhones and said 'no, screw you'

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

TACD posted:

Yea VLC has definitely crossed the software event horizon where every new update now just adds more bloat and cruft nobody wants

I miss QuickTime Pro.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Just open all the video files you want to play in Firefox. :v:

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

franco posted:

I'm fairly sure the answer will be "lol no" but I'm an optimist. Flash recently being taken out back and shot reminded me of an app (where you bundle the projector in with the file so it's standalone) I made about 15 years ago that I still have and wanted to run. Problem is that it's PowerPC and I'm on an Intel Mac now. Is there any way to use PPC apps easily without a full-blown VM or whatever?

Not really. Your best bet is either VM an old macOS or - if it's a Mac OS 8-9 application - SheepShaver, which will happily emulate Mac OS 9. (So it's basically a specialized VM...)

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

I recommend BetterTouchTool and BBEdit.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

MrOnBicycle posted:

Ah lovely, the hard drive crashed on the used MacBook Pro I got so I now I have to buy a new copy of OS X since I was never logged into an iCloud account on the Macbook pro. Cool.

You should be able to use Internet Recovery (hold Cmd-Opt-R) to fish out an appropriate OS for your computer once it's got a new hard drive. It'll download some version of the OS directly from Apple's servers.

(If the mac is old enough not to have Internet Recovery, it's old enough to have a hardware restore or system CD-ROM. Use that instead if this is the case.)

(Also, Apple doesn't sell macOS any more - they give it away for free.)

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

MrOnBicycle posted:

I see. Too old for internet recovery (although should be able to update firmware to enable it but that apparently requires macOS to be installed). The buying macOS was what the internet told me (and there is an option buy the older versions @ Apple) was the solution to the “This item is temporarily unavailable” error as my apple id is not associated to a macOS. This is a mid 2010 Macbook pro.

Ah, I see. It's a pity the original discs didn't come with it. Good luck!

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Cheese Thief posted:

What is a good IRC client for Mac. I've always used Emacs - ERC but Emacs on Darwin doesn't seem to obey the kernel rules like it should

I'd recommend Colloquy, but you might have to do a bit of digging to find the Mac version nowadays.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Binary Badger posted:

Wanna know what's really annoying? When your tax software tells you 'we won't be able to help you next year' unless you upgrade to Catalina.

You do your taxes on the computer?

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Install DaisyDisk and figure out what's taking up so much space.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

The demo should be enough. I should have mentioned that. There's nothing the full version of the app does that you can't do manually.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Also, the following:

quote:

~/Library/Launchagents/agent.plist
~/Library/Launchagents/init_agent.plist
~/Library/Launchagents/verx.plist
~/Library/Launchagents/init_verx.plist

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

EL BROMANCE posted:

Am I dreaming that there was a time when adding multiple tags to one file/folder would only show a single tag? I'm sure this has been resolved years ago (if it was even a thing), but nice to see I can now see multiple tags in finder at once. The fun of not having tags that overlap much I guess!

Yeah, back when they were called Labels, only one could be applied at a time. That change was made before Sierra (10.12) and I don't remember when exactly.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

The Gunslinger posted:

I installed Alfred 4 which is pretty cool and Bartender since my menu bar was already getting clogged after one day. Looking for alternatives for the following if anyone can make recommendations:

- compression/archival software, I see 7zip does not exist for Mac OS

macOS can natively zip files through the finder. For unarchiving, I also recommend The Unarchiver.

quote:

- Changing full screen maximize to just maximize, this is a weird default behavior to me

BetterTouchTool can change this.

quote:

Anything else I'm forgetting?

I bought this primarily to just code and casually use. So far so good with Visual Studio Code on the M1.

May I recommend BBEdit as a programmer's text editor? Not quite as intelligent in the code completion as VSCode, I think, but it's really well designed and useful. Mostly free. Paying them unlocks direct git integration and a few other things.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Phone posted:

Hello, I have a mid 2014 Macbook Pro Retina on 10.15.7 that I use for a few things (nothing critical), I take it that clicking upgrade to Big Sur isn't going to be a massive nightmare?

Do you use any 32-bit programs?

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Is there a better PDF viewer than Preview? I am getting pretty frustrated with how Preview handles searching long documents.

May I recommend Skim? I stopped reading Preview a while back for similar reasons.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

LPG Giant posted:

Am I seeing this right that it basically uses its own type of notes that cannot be read by other pdf viewers? I tried to use this to open a previously annotated pdf and could not open the comments until I converted them to 'Skim notes', at which point preview could not see any of the notes anymore.

I don't really use the notes functionality, so I couldn't tell you.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Small White Dragon posted:

So I just heard ARM Macs won't run unsigned code, like, at all. I don't know how to feel about that.

This is true but anyone can have signed it. It's not tied in with Apple's notarization systems - not directly, anyway.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

IUG posted:

I'm going to make a little bash script this weekend that just rysncs some files to my NAS and sends me a push notification for each top level directory. However, is there a command that I can use to make sure the energy saver doesn't suspend the process? (Letting the laptop and external screens turn off is also preferred.)

Yes, the terminal command "caffeinate" will delay sleep while it's running.

If you don't need the calling computer to be involved after starting the script, you could use ssh to run the script remotely.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Xabi posted:

Can anyone recommend a decent clipboard manager? Preferably something free/cheap that doesn't send all my copies to a dodgy server.

I use iClip, myself. It's pretty solid.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

He claims that my VPN is considered malware and suggested I stop using it 🤷🏻

What VPN are you using?

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

hooah posted:

I'm guessing no, since no one responded?

Huh. There used to be an option to select whether you wanted an app's notifications to show in the notif center or not, in System Preferences > Notifications (select the app to edit its settings and click the 'Show in Notification Center' checkbox). Has that been removed?

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Do any of those block ads in the YouTube app? Or at least YouTube ads in the browser?

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Chris Knight posted:

Best for that is Ublock Origin.

No, I mean, blocking ads in YouTube and in the browser on iOS. I already use uBlock and uMatrix on desktop.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

tuyop posted:

Kind of a weird case here. I have come into a 2009ish plastic MacBook, donated for repurposing however makes sense.

When I turn it on, I get a login screen. If I hold cmd+r I get the same login screen. Same with all the other startup key combinations.

I imagine I could pull the hard drive and wipe it and then do internet recovery, but is that my only option at this point?

Sounds like someone set a firmware password, and removing the hard drive may not do anything.

In such a case, the only way to get it off without entering the password is to bring the laptop to an Apple Store.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Chalupa Joe posted:

The only reason I'm still using a 2013 is that the 16" MBP hasn't been updated yet.

It still works fine for the things I use it for, but every day around 4:30-5pm the fans turn into jet engines.

I, too, am waiting for a new 17"ish MBP with a meaningful port selection, MagSafe, and a good keyboard.

I hear it's just around the corner.

(I'm using a fully souped up Late 2014, myself.)

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

spaced ninja posted:

You can check the logs and get the exact shutdown reason

https://georgegarside.com/blog/macos/shutdown-causes/

If no reason is given at all, the machine may be overheating, or thinks it is. In that case, I'd recommend fan control software to keep its fans more active regularly.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Binary Badger posted:

The leaked schematics say we're getting three TB3 ports and a dedicated HDMI 2.x port like the old 2013-2015 machines and another flavor of MagSafe so the omission of the fourth port will be mitigated somewhat.. dunno why only 3 ports unless they cannibalized the fourth port for HDMI and power..

Will there be a headphone jack?

This is a serious question.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

NuclearWinterUK posted:

I don't use Chrome, but there are legit reasons for not wanting to use Safari.

Can I offer everyone a nice Firefox in this trying time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Violator posted:

Well drat. 1Password took all of that VC money and now the next version of the Mac app is Electron based. :(

Electron-based, but not based, sadly. :v: