Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teppichporsche
May 11, 2019

It's really interesting that basically all statistics applications are not able to run natively on ARM due to a lack of FORTRAN support, even modern ones like Julia. Seems like these things have been built on really shaky foundations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teppichporsche
May 11, 2019

the talent deficit posted:

this is mostly because BLAS and LAPACK (linear algebra libraries) really have no equivalent outside of FORTRAN and nearly all scientific computing relies on them. it's easier to port FORTRAN to a new platform than it is to write a performant linear algebra library in a supported language. it's kind of suprising apple hasn't done so

Interestingly, the often ridiculed STATA now runs natively. Apparently they have this figured out somehow.

teppichporsche
May 11, 2019

still no fortran linear algebra though

teppichporsche
May 11, 2019

Exactly how does transferring apps from an Intel MacBook to a M1 MacBook work? Do I have to reinstall apps that have native Apple Silicon versions?

teppichporsche
May 11, 2019

TACD posted:

So, the reason I’m a bit neurotic about Markdown + local storage is because I’ve spent so much time rotating through different note apps like this already — Evernote, OneNote, Notion, Agenda, Standard Notes — they’re really lovely and beautiful and fun to use, until the free version gets crippled and the subscription becomes exorbitant, or the app keeps growing and bloating until it’s a sluggish mess, or you just want to try something different. And then the proprietary note format and storage means you’re locked in and it’s months of work to move a lifetime of notes over to a new system (I still have things in OneNote I haven’t exported yet.)

Markdown + local storage means my notes are agnostic to whatever app I use on whatever platform and I don’t have to worry if the app I’m using turns to shite because I can easily just switch. Plus I don’t have to create a parallel file system for my notes, because they already live next to whatever files they reference.

Sublime Text?

teppichporsche
May 11, 2019

Housh posted:

Are you Brave enough to use Brave in this new world we live in?

Nah the crypto ads that will reactivate every update are annoying

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teppichporsche
May 11, 2019

These are some great birds