Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Anyone having problems installing fonts in Lion?

I can install this font (http://www.dafont.com/ferro-rosso.font) in snow leopard fine but under lion I get 'name' structure table not valid or something. It's driving me nuts as there seems to be not much documentation on font validation errors.

Any ideas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I haven't used Time Machine in a while but since I have to get my iMac's hdd replaced it would make sense to use this feature.

What would be the best way to do this? I have a 1 tb external that has 80gigs free on it. My iMac's hard drive should be ~20gigs to backup. Would I need to partition the drive to use as a time machine so it doesn't affect the other files on it or would it be fine to just set time machine to that drive without a partition. I hope to delete the time machine junk off the external once I mirror it back to the new iMac hard drive.

What would be the best way?

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I got my iMac back from Apple store after having to do the Seagate HDD recall. I used the migration tool with my time machine hard drive to bring everything back to how it was. Everything seems fine except all the Apple programs in the doc such as messages, contacts, iCal, notes, and reminder are all question marks and Mail.app crashes when I try to run it.

I'm freaking out cause I need Mail.app. Does anyone know what to do? Am I boned and need to do a fresh install? This sucks!

EDIT: WHAT THE gently caress! Those loving geniuses installed Lion instead of Mountain Lion on my machine. gently caress!!

Housh fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Nov 3, 2012

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

They said they would return the computer to me with Mountain Lion as that was what I had using so I can just use the migration tool and move over my latest time machine image. I just time machined a mountain lion backup onto an iMac with Lion installed. That's why a lot of stuff is broken and there are dead links to OSX programs that only came out with ML.

Also Mail.app is busted cause the time machine backup is probably incompatible with the old version. I gotta redownload ML from the app store and use the migration tool again.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Choadmaster posted:

If I were him I'd definitely do a fresh install and re-migrate. No need to take chances.

This is what I did and all is well. Would've saved me 2 hours if the genius did what he said he would do but I guess I'll forgive and forget. I thought Lion was so random as the iMac initially came with Snow Leopard preinstalled.

As for sound of the new drive...I'll have to wait and see. The old drive was silent for most of the 2 years I had this computer. Just in the summer I noticed it getting loud so I wasn't that surprised when I got the recall email. So far so good.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Bob Morales posted:

Drives me nuts when he could just use the calculator app in OS X instead :argh:
There's a calculator app?!?

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I always regret updating chrome and now it crashes with Facebook. I tried disable the extra instances of flash in the plugins but it still runs funky. How do I fix this? Delete and reinstalling chrome doesn't work.

edit: nm remembered I had to turn on secure https

Housh fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Nov 15, 2012

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

eddiewalker posted:

You update Chrome? It does all that automatically.

After I updated chrome recently it started going back to using http. I have no idea why. I had to manually type in https and then facebook gave me a setting to select to make it default.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

What's the best boot manager these days? rEFInd? I use Snow Leopard and Windows 8 the same amount equally and want to be asked which to log into whenever I power up my MacBook.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Yes. I don't want to hold option each time or have it load up OSX automatically. I want a choice upon boot up. I'm considering this: http://www.rodsbooks.com/refind/ and wondering if anyone has used it or knows of a better way.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Nope which is really annoying and silly. I found a cool boot manager made by the guys behind Winclone: http://twocanoes.com/boot-runner

I might try it since it's only :10bux:

edit: this one is free but not as shmancy: http://buttered-cat.com/products/QuickBoot

Housh fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Aug 22, 2013

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Boris Galerkin posted:

So a bug was found in Safari on both OS X and iOS over the weekend. I'm not a security person but from what I understand it's Pretty Bad. Something about SSL being compromised. iOS has been patched but OS X is still waiting. In the meantime people smarter than me suggest using Firefox or Chrome in lieu of Safari until the bug is resolved.

I think my iMac was compromised or something while reading about this on macrumors. Can't connect to internet using any apple software (safari, mail, app store, itunes) but everything else works. I patched my phone and my snow leopard macbook using firefox is fine. I'm kinda pissed and freaking out.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Yup. I'm a spaz and you are right. Reboot fixed it. I wonder what happened there.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Just did an upgrade install on my mid 2010 iMac and I'm pleased with the performance. I'm sure the 16GB of ram helps.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Today I noticed the flickering pixel problem again on my mid 2010 iMac. I guess it's definitely software since the Apple store gutted the iMac twice last winter. I couldn't snag a screenshot but I rebooted and it's gone for now. It came back when I upgrade to Yosemite. I honestly wonder if it has something to do with the Retina stuff build into the OS with it's Radeon card.

Man, I hope it was just a fluke or it's time to start saving for a new iMac...I love this one though. :(

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

computer parts posted:

One thing you should remember is that there's a lot of indexing that will occur after reinstallation.
I had the long indexing on my iMac but when I installed on my sister's 2011 mbp there wasn't any. I think it's cause she's only used 80gigs of her hdd.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

What is currently the best remote access/desktop software for osx?

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

VNC is exactly what I need. Thanks for the recommendation. It works like magic.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

What is the current favorite bit torrent client? uTorrent seems to be full of spyware and ads these days. I read Deluge is good but I was wondering what the consensus is around here.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

How long do these conferences run for?

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Wow no macbook pro...

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Why am I getting system notifications from Gamespot and how do I shut them off?

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

What's the best remote connection software for macOS to windows 10? iOS functionality is a big plus. I've been using RealVNC for a while but I'm curious if there is something faster/better.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Which one of the suggestions you guys gave me has a decent file transfer system?

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

What's the current best decompression app? I need to decompress a bunch of 7z and RAR.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Aw I'm sorry dude I read the first post but didn't scroll to the second. My bad...

Thanks for the recommendations. I guess I would be happy with something that resembles winRAR. Like basic two plane. I'll try all 3 out.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Chris Knight posted:

MacPar Deluxe?
Keka is not bad. Been sticking with it.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I started my thesis on word and finished on pages because my supervisor did his track edits on it. Fell in love with pages after that. Still use both though.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Pivo posted:

Little Snitch 4 is fully released now
It's pretty good
Is it free with the current license? I tried to update 3.7.4 within the app and it tells me I'm up to date.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Do you use Micro Snitch? Seems a bit :tinfoil: overkill but that Snowden movie freaked me out.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Bob Morales posted:

Is there an open source clone of little snitch?
I think this is it http://www.hanynet.com/pflists/index.html

The rest of the projects I looked up went pay since Yosemite.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I transfered a domain name and it's been 24hrs since. Going to the website in Chrome and Safari iOS displays the new site. However, no matter how many times I empty the cache in the develop menu Safari on my mbp still points to the old site.

It's driving me crazy! Any ideas?

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Tried that to no avail. Checked my PC and it's still showing the old page too. Took my phone off the network and the domain is still pointing to the old page through my data carrier. I'm guessing the DNS still needs another day or two to propagate.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I think you were right. I cleared the cache on my iOS devices and everything is correct. Cleared the cache again in Chrome on two devices and it's correct.

Still don't know why Safari is messing up. Cleared cache, rebooted....is there something else I can do?

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Cleared the cache and rebooted mbp the third time and it finally worked. My PC using Chrome and MS Edge (:lol:) still display the old site even though I emptied cache and rebooted twice so I don't know :wtf: :confused:

Housh fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jul 7, 2017

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Do you guys still use widgets or has your phone replaced that? I used to use the weather and calculator but now I use my phone. Are there any useful/cool ones I don't know about?

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I hope the isn't considered :filez: but I'm trying to take a screenshot of a TV episode I bought off iTunes to send to the producer of that very TV show as per his request. I can't because of DRM. The screenshots are all grey. Is there a work around or a free DRM removal tool? This sucks.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

EL BROMANCE posted:

Is it because of DRM, or because it's using the hardware overlay to playback?
Do explain. I do have a dGPU in my macbook pro.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I like deluge for torrents on windows and mac.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Is there a way to force sync iCloud? It's so slow to sync the desktop items or it's just stuck. I even shut off little snitch to see if that is the issue. :wtf: is wrong with this poo poo UPLOAD!