Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

natlampe
Jul 10, 2001

Xandu posted:

Is there no way to disable Resuming by program? Sometimes it's useful to have everything already open when I start a program, but with other things, it's mostly just irritating.
There are two solutions to this:

Disable (or enable) Resume by holding down the Option-key while you quit

If you hit the Option-modifier when you quit a program (ie. Command-Option-Q or using the menu), it'll not use Resume for that specific session. Conversely you can turn Resume off globally in the Preferences and only have it enabled whenever you Option quit out of a program.

I've got it turned off by default.

You can also use this method if you need even more control (I prefer the first method):

quote:

Disable Resume for single apps

In Lion, the new Resume feature (read more in our review) can be disabled upon quitting an app with a keyboard shortcut, or system-wide from System Preferences. If you wish to permanently disable Resume on app-by-app basis, you’ll have to enter a custom command in the Terminal for each app you don’t want to work with Resume. For example, “defaults write com.apple.QuickTimePlayerX NSQuitAlwaysKeepsWindows -bool false” (without quotes) will disable Resume in QuickTime Player. If you replace the “QuickTimePlayerX” portion of the command with another app’s identifier, Resume will be disabled in that app, with restart needed to take effect. Replace “false” with “true” to revert changes. An easy way to get an app identifier is to open it, launch Activity Monitor, search for it, select it and hit “Sample Process”; in the new window, Identifier will indicate the app’s ID you have to choose for this specific Terminal command. [via Wil Shipley]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

natlampe
Jul 10, 2001

Accipiter posted:

I am really loving hating that they did away with "Save As..." because now doing things like adjusting the size of a scanned image in Preview and trying to save it to the desktop is COMPLETELY GODDAMN IMPOSSIBLE without jumping through eight hundred hoops. Rather than just opening the file in Preview, adjusting the size, and choosing "Save As...", you've got to do some hokey horseshit to duplicate the file, make your changes, then "Save..." the file the way you want it and delete the original from wherever the gently caress.
Tried "Export..."? I think it's basically just a renamed "Save As".

natlampe fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Jul 28, 2011

natlampe
Jul 10, 2001

lord funk posted:

Ugghghhh. I have a feeling I'm going to hate resuming apps.
You can enable/disable it by pressing Option when you quit (ie. Opt-Cmd-Q). See my post on page 33 (bottom) for more Resume options.

natlampe
Jul 10, 2001

Martytoof posted:

And yeah, disappearing scrollbars aren't my cup of tea. Scrollbars provide an important sense of context in large documents and data sets :(
You can't get the old, fat ones back, but you can get permanent scroll bars:
Preferences > General > Show scroll bars: Always

natlampe
Jul 10, 2001

Martytoof posted:

Oh yeah. I think this is like the first thing I enabled so I actually forgot that they disappear until people bring it up. I'm more upset in principle that they made the decision to make them fade out.
I agree. I think it ranks up there with the odd UX decision to make the traffic lights smaller. The clickable area is larger than the buttons would indicate, yes, but somehow it still feels slightly more difficult to hit the buttons.

natlampe
Jul 10, 2001

Accipiter posted:

Yeah no, none of this is correct.

If you make changes to the file and hit duplicate, you end up with a copy of the non-edited version. You have to edit the actual duplicate an then save it out, and god help you if you decide you want to save over the original file. And there is no dialog box asking what I want to do with the original when I Duplicate. It just does it.

And when I close all documents and exit Preview, the next time I open Preview by opening the edited document, ALL of them open.

This system is not intuitive at all. Maybe it needs some tweaking to make more sense, but its current implementation is crap.

Even having a "Save As..." option would make everything all better.
Again I must ask; what's wrong with 'Export'?

duck monster posted:

Wheres the option to turn off this loving silly "reopen your windows when you log back in" thing?
There are two solutions to this:

Disable (or enable) Resume by holding down the Option-key while you quit

If you hit the Option-modifier when you quit a program (ie. Command-Option-Q or using the menu), it'll not use Resume for that specific session. Conversely you can turn Resume off globally in the Preferences and only have it enabled whenever you Option quit out of a program.

I've got it turned off by default.

You can also use this method if you need even more control (I prefer the first method):

quote:

Disable Resume for single apps

In Lion, the new Resume feature (read more in our review) can be disabled upon quitting an app with a keyboard shortcut, or system-wide from System Preferences. If you wish to permanently disable Resume on app-by-app basis, you’ll have to enter a custom command in the Terminal for each app you don’t want to work with Resume. For example, “defaults write com.apple.QuickTimePlayerX NSQuitAlwaysKeepsWindows -bool false” (without quotes) will disable Resume in QuickTime Player. If you replace the “QuickTimePlayerX” portion of the command with another app’s identifier, Resume will be disabled in that app, with restart needed to take effect. Replace “false” with “true” to revert changes. An easy way to get an app identifier is to open it, launch Activity Monitor, search for it, select it and hit “Sample Process”; in the new window, Identifier will indicate the app’s ID you have to choose for this specific Terminal command. [via Wil Shipley]

natlampe
Jul 10, 2001

Accipiter posted:

All it does is save a copy of the unedited image in whatever alternate format you ask of it.
Odd. Here is works exactly the same as "Save As" near as I can tell.

I just opened a .jpg, cropped and rotated it slightly and then exported it. It saved with the changes and used the previous file's filename and format by default, so that I could easily overwrite it had I wanted to. I also tried with a PDF and it also worked fine.

natlampe
Jul 10, 2001

Accipiter posted:

Now make a minor change to the file, and find a way to save it in the exact same format as a completely separate document with a separate filename. YOU CAN'T DO IT.
Sure you can; duplicate then save.

You're absolutely right that it's an unneeded, extra step though. How does Pages handle this usecase?

natlampe
Jul 10, 2001

I prefer the old Spaces too. There's a workaround though. Option-click a desktop (or use one of the shortcut keys) in Mission Control and it will switch desktop without closing.

natlampe
Jul 10, 2001

Ziir posted:

Why are my signatures so big when I send mail from Mail? I didn't notice it until a friend asked me why I made my font for my signature so big compared to my messages. It doesn't look this way in Mail, but does in Gmail (as shown below). Is it just a problem with Gmail?

In my preferences that checkbox option also says "(Helvetica 12)" for what it's worth. Sure your standard font is correctly set?

natlampe
Jul 10, 2001

Accipiter posted:

For gently caress's sake, I don't know how many times I need to demonstrate that not all applications have the Export function. And Export is not a replacement for Save As because sometimes you want to keep the current format.

GOD.
That's a great screenshot of an application he didn't talk about. He was specifically commenting on something in Preview, where the Export option keeps the current format just fine.

natlampe
Jul 10, 2001

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I only just realized while setting up my new machine that Fraise is dead. :cry:
What does this have over Smultron? The missing price tag basically? It seems like the $5 Smultron 4 does Lion.

natlampe
Jul 10, 2001

How do business/academic purchases in the App Store work if you're not in the States? Is it even possible to buy a couple of Lion licenses without using your own personal Apple ID and credit card?

natlampe
Jul 10, 2001

Anyone know of a program that lives in the menu that shows which number desktop space you're currently on? I've gotten used to most of the Spaces changes that Apple made in Lion, but I really miss this small detail.

The only workaround I've seen mentioned is to Photoshop the number or an identifier on the desktop background image, but I like to change my backgrounds fairly often so that's not great solution.

natlampe
Jul 10, 2001

I'm having sporadic performance problems with Windows 7 virtualized under VMWare Fusion 7 and Mavericks where it sometimes just freezes up for several seconds. This has happened with Adobe InCopy CC and Outlook 2013. My laptop is an Air with a Core i5 1.3GHz and 4 GB memory.

How much memory and how many cores should I dedicate to VMWare? The default is 1 GB memory and 1 core. Am I wrong to increase this to about two gigs and two cores?

How many resources does OS X need to function and to run programs? Are there any settings that make or break Fusion performance?

natlampe
Jul 10, 2001

Ninja Rope posted:

It depends what programs you are running. Windows 7 would do much better with 2GB of RAM, but that only leaves 2GB for OSX. That's going to be cutting it close to have a browser full of tabs open, itunes playing, mail.app open, etc, along with VMWare.
Thanks. I settled on about 1.7 GB for Windows and I'll see where that takes me.

natlampe
Jul 10, 2001

Is there a way to disable hot corners for fullscreen applications only? Google tells me to either disable hot corners completely or add a keyboard modifier (!), but neither option seems like a particularly good solution for me.

Edit:
I found a decent solution that uses Apple Script compiled as an .app. It's a manual toggle that disables or enables the hot corners, but it's better than constantly having to reassign the corners by hand.

natlampe fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Jul 19, 2015

natlampe
Jul 10, 2001

Binary Badger posted:

Not like anyone cares, but Sonoma beta 3 was released today.

How stable is it currently? Better or worse than where Ventura was at this stage?

natlampe
Jul 10, 2001

Binary Badger posted:

I'm running the Intel version and it seems pretty smooth, a lot of Apple apps were rewritten in Swift which supposedly makes things smoother because it takes advantage of JIT and other optimizations.

Running 4K YouTubes in Safari feels a lot smoother, launching apps is somewhat faster, and the system 'feels' a lot more stable than even the current Ventura.
Thanks. It sounds pretty good if this is more Snow Leopard than Ventura.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

natlampe
Jul 10, 2001

101 posted:

Arc is now at 1.0, and no longer has a waitlist fyi

They write that they care about privacy, so what is their business model exactly? Will there be a premium version?