Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Binary Badger posted:

I believe under Sarbanes-Oxley, they can't give it away.. SOX laws prohibit a publicly traded company from giving away (or just letting you have it for free) an unadvertised new feature on a product you already paid for.

Apple could do it, but would be forced to go through a special kind of accounting hell at the end of the fiscal year to justify it.

So most likely $29-49 it is. (With all the work and man hours going into it I don't think it'll be just $29.)

As I understand it, that was more a problem with things like enabling 802.11n functionality that was already in the computer but not activated or advertised.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I don't think there's a reason not to segregate SSIDs, except that I think it might keep you from running a guest network, which I never cared for much anyway. Also it cuts off the end of my clever SSID :ohdear:

But back when my network layout consisted of wireless going out to two different bridges that did a lot of video streaming, it made a huuuuuge difference.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

The rumor is a a 1080p version is coming soon, the model 2 supplies seem to be dwindling.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

THE LUMMOX posted:

Thanks Martytoof. For some reason I just had to put it in quotes and it worked.

My mac was clean :) Cheers

The terminal parses a space as you going to the next term, the quotes tell it not to do that

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Martytoof posted:

I think the playing field has evened a lot since W7 came out. I don't think OSX is heads and shoulders above the competition anymore, but it's still more agreeable to how I prefer to work on my computer than W7 is.

I 100% agree. I trashed my lovely old Dell laptop running XP for a hand-me-down macbook pro midway through law school, and the difference was huge between the usability of it and my old laptop/desktop at the time also running XP. Then W7 RC came out and I felt like they were the same more or less, and I've grown to actually like the W7 interface more overall.

OS X was light years ahead for an incredibly long time, though. Basically from initial release->release of W7 RC I suppose.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

jonpv posted:

This looks great, thanks. The main reason I'm asking is because of the dropped support for SMB1 in 10.7 (apple switched from using samba to using their own code), meaning that many NAS solutions are not compatible with 10.7, although I'm sure a lot of them have been updated to be compatible. I will look into your suggestions and into the megathread which I really should have noticed!

I am pretty sure you can turn SMB back on, it's just off by default.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Rabid Koala posted:

I'm having the same problem. I had to switch over to Safari. I'm running off the Dev channel.

It's the new update that came out Monday, I think. Having the same problem as the day wears on, I just reboot by the end of the day and that seems to fix it. Also seems to be hogging a lot of memory. Hazards of the dev channel, I guess.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

The latest Chrome dev channel update seems to have cleared up the sluggishness on my work mac, wasn't having any trouble on my PC to begin with.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

PxiePip posted:

Yeah, I agree, but the reason it might be shady is because I think as part of her position she's entitled to a free copy of Logic Studio, which according to one of her superiors she's definitely not allowed to sell the download code for. Her selling her current copy amounts to the same thing effectively which is why she's worried.

I would check the license terms, where's the first copy from? Did she buy it? Was it retail, or like a student copy or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Windows as of 7 (at least) also does that, thank god. APC makes the worst software.