Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe
Unrelated to Catalina, if you use iTerm2: update it ASAP

https://blog.mozilla.org/security/2019/10/09/iterm2-critical-issue-moss-audit/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe
The concept of searching in Outlook is so loving bad. In the PC version, if you start searching, it will search all folders (and maybe even all mailboxes, it's been a while and I forget). In Outlook for Mac, you have to just go one folder at a time, and there's no easy way to non-GUI search for attachments.

Gmail: "has:attachment"
Outlook for Mac: "<search string>", click Advanced, click dropdown, choose Attachments, click second dropdown, choose Exists, hit enter

Whyyyyyyyyyyyy

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

Martytoof posted:

I use “hasattachment:yes” in Outlook on Mac literally every day :)

You’re welcome :haw:

son of a

thank you

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

smr posted:

Anybody else having just super garbage times with Messages lately? I'm currently on the phone with Apple Support for the third hour trying to get my Messages to sync INTO my Mac from other devices. Outbound from Mac works. Inbound, I can go gently caress myself.

We've already wiped out my Keychain (always fun to do that!), deleted a bunch of certs and keys... real not fun times.

Pain in the rear end.
It happens to me every once in a while.

What I've found that works for me is to sign out of iCloud on my mac and all iDevices. Leave it signed out for about an hour (this is the key part). Sign in on everything again.

That seems to fix the sync issues.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

Weedle posted:

Lol that this is an actual solution in TYOOL 2020. iCloud loving sucks.
poo poo, I meant sign out of my Apple ID (maybe this is the same thing?) on every device.

At any rate, it seems to work.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

smr posted:

In the iMessages apps/Messages settings themselves, or are you globally signing out of your Apple ID on your entire Mac?
So on the Mac, I sign completely out of the Apple ID. On my iDevices, I go into Settings -> Messages and turn off iMessage and then once it's completely showing as disabled, I log out of iCloud on the device as well. Wait about an hour (sometimes it's worked after 30 minutes, but other times it hasn't, so now I just default to an hour) and then sign back into everything and re-enable iMessage.

At any rate, it's something you can try before your call tomorrow.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

Binary Badger posted:

I think it's still kind of dumb that the only way to transfer a 'Live Picture' from an iPhone to a Mac is either by direct USB connection or using iCloud photos. If you try and send it over Bluetooth, only the still JPEG comes over, not the mp4 part.

I haven't tried it, but does AirDrop work? I AirDrop all my normal photos to my MacBook that way and it sends them in HEIC.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe
Nevermind

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

Arcon posted:

I am used to beta software in general
macOS betas are.....kind of not great.

Stick to Catalina for now.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe
Ok I have what is probably a pretty stupid question, but for someone who has been using macOS for years, I've never actually had to go through this process *ever* yet, which I think is a testament to how reliable the OS and hardware is. Anyways, I have been using this MacBook for ages and just finally got a new one. When I setup the new one, when I go to login with my iCloud, is it going to try and transfer my profile from the old laptop, including any broken poo poo that has built up over the years? Or does it mostly start fresh? I've rebuilt countless Windows PCs in my time (it was my job for nearly 20 years, so I apologize if these are dumb questions but I need to break my brain out of this mould) but I have setup exactly one macOS profile in my entire life and never on a second machine.

nexxai fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Jul 23, 2020

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

Quantum of Phallus posted:

iCloud backup should MOSTLY avoid copying any broken poo poo. It's when you start backing up from disk images/Time Machine where thinks start to go funky in my experience.

Any time I've reinstalled MacOS in the last three years I've just started fresh and logged into iCloud instead of bothering with Time Machine
Good to know. Thanks!

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Why the gently caress did you buy a Mac

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe
I realize this is probably a stupid question, but I'm going to ask it anyways: in iTunes, does anyone else ever have the issue where you open the app, immediately go to search for something in the search bar, and after hitting return, it either does nothing or shows you the results from the *last* search you did? Like I'm sure it has to do with the fact that I've had this same Mac profile transferred through 4 or 5 different machines over the years and there's probably just something fundamentally broken about it, but if there's something I can do to un-gently caress iTunes, that would be wonderful.

Example: https://imgur.com/a/HqHLOQJ

And just since I posted this, I tried clearing out ~/Library/[Preferences|Caches]/com.apple.iTunes* and ~/Library/[Preferences|Caches]Caches/com.apple.music*

No difference.

nexxai fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Nov 6, 2020

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

Gros Tarla posted:

Yeah so looks like blackholing oscp.apple.com in etc hosts fixes the issue if you're having slowdowns.

So I guess this will open up a larger discussion on why the gently caress is MacOS phoning home every time you open an app and also why this failing would cause your computer to become a loving brick.
This is how PKI, and in particular OCSP works. Your browser (or in this case, OS) needs to validate that a certificate - whether it be for a website or an application - is still valid and hasn't been revoked.

They can probably correlate which certificate was used to sign which application, but the closest they'd be able to identify you by is your public IP address; there's no authentication involved in OCSP.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe
You guys are making me feel weird - usually by now, someone would have found a bug that formats their hard drive when they open Numbers with the mouse on the left side of their keyboard or something.

I can't believe I'm asking this, but should I actually upgrade to an initial build of a macOS release?

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

SeANMcBAY posted:

Let’s not go that far. Apple is better than most on security but they still have issues.
No one here said they're perfect or that their software is perfectly written - just that their GOAL is to not spy on you and do whatever they can to accomplish that. They've literally gone to court against the FBI to protect your privacy.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Also I was able to get Catalina backups to work with Mojave despite everyone in the world and also Apple saying they would not.
Just because you can doesn't mean you should

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

Dick Trauma posted:

I had no idea that BBEdit still existed. I used it to build my first websites! :corsair:

yeah ok gramps

- This post sent from my Apple iPhone 3GS

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

beefnoodle posted:

Oh My Zsh is pretty awesome though, and you can ignore/overule the theming.
I know this from the last page, but while Oh My Zsh is a great "Welcome to ZSH" shell, Spaceship prompt is where it's at: https://denysdovhan.com/spaceship-prompt/

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

beefnoodle posted:

Isn’t that just a theme though? Or has it added more features?
Nope, it's its own thing. It supports way more "things" (like which git branch or terraform workspace you're in) than any Oh My ZSH theme I've found. Plus I just think it looks better.

EDIT: Sorry, you're right. I confused it with https://starship.rs/ which is basically Spaceship on its own and supports bash, zsh, PowerShell and some other shells as well.

nexxai fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Jan 10, 2021

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe
I've had various iMessages sync problems in the past and the only solution I found (and it actually seemed to work) was to completely sign out of iCloud on my phone, iCloud on my Mac, and make sure Messages on the Mac is also signed out (it can be signed in separately, even if your Mac isn't). You leave them all signed out for a couple of hours (seriously, if you can manage it, do it over night; 15 minutes or whatever has never been enough time) which seems to let the backend systems clear out whatever the gently caress is wrong, and then sign back in on all of the devices. It was suggested to me by Apple Support and each time it's happened (2-3 I think), it's worked.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

actionjackson posted:

you don't have to, but if you don't they just pile up because every single one is considered a separate "message"

I usually have 3-5 of these every workday
Do you just have one single giant window that all your texts from everyone who ever contacts you flow in to? I don't understand why this is a problem.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

actionjackson posted:

But these always have to be deleted, or else they will just keep piling up.
Ok and maybe I'm stuck on the wording, but you keep saying they have to be deleted; I don't get why they have to be deleted? Like is this company policy? Or is this simply a cleanliness thing?

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe
Docker Desktop for Mac supports Apple Silicon - https://www.macrumors.com/2021/04/15/docker-for-mac-apple-silicon/

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe
macOS: Big Sur 11.3

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

Xabi posted:

Can anyone recommend a decent clipboard manager? Preferably something free/cheap that doesn't send all my copies to a dodgy server.

The one build into Alfred is pretty sweet

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe
In the last couple/few weeks, I've noticed that when I open my MacBook Pro (running Big Sur) that the screen doesn't automatically come on like it used to. Is this is a setting that I may have inadvertently disabled?

It used to be that I'd open the clamshell and the screen would immediately come on and prompt me for my password, now I have to press the power button to get things going (it hasn't powered all the way off; when I press the power button, it just wakes from sleep and prompts for my password immediately).

The only other thing I can think of is that somehow the sensor that detects when the lid is open is broken, but my laptop basically doesn't move except from my office to my living room and back and I am extremely careful with it, so I'm kind of at a loss.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

Binary Badger posted:

Depending on the model/year of rMBP which you have thoughtfully omitted, it's usually a Hall effect sensor that's responsible for switching your LCD on/off.

If you hold a strong magnet near the left side of your 2013-2015 year rMBP, your screen should shut off / act like you closed the lid. Take it away, and your screen awakens.

Is there a strong magnetic source near the left side of your laptop that's perhaps causing the sleep to take effect / prevent wakeup? Like a speaker or something?
No, and this even happens when it's on my lap on the couch, which makes it seem even weirder. And apologies, I didn't mean to omit the year, just wasn't thinking; it's a 2020.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

commie kong posted:

I think people have posted about this issue before and the fix was to sign out on ALL devices and stay signed out for multiple hours. Less than one hour wasn’t enough.

Worth a shot? I remember it because it’s loving ridiculous lol
Yeah I posted about this earlier in the thread.

I had similar issues and left ALL of my devices (iPhone, MacBook, and an iPad at the time) logged out overnight and then re-signed in on all devices in the morning. I'm assuming there's some weird caching thing that's happening behind the scenes which needs a lot of time to invalidate itself.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe
I remember years ago (like 10-15+), there was a tool that I'm forgetting the name of that let you use one keyboard/mouse across multiple machines, kind of like Sidecar but for multiple computers. Does anything like that exist for MacOS? I have two MacBooks on my desk and it would be super awesome if I could just use one set of peripherals and not need something like VNC or whatever.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

Tippis posted:

I had to check back what the fork of it was, but yes, as mentioned above: Synergy (commercial) [...]
Yes! Thank you! This is exactly what I was thinking of.

I'll deal with this until Monterrey is out.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

Sri.Theo posted:

So I can't upload photos to Twitter because they're all in HEIC.

Is there any setting that will automatically convert photos before uploading or get Photo's to convert pictures taken on my iPhone to JPEGS when they're synced?

Another non-answer answer: I've just taken to opening them in Preview and then exporting as JPEG. I don't have to do it very often so it's obviously not a great long term solution but if you only have to do it once in a while, it's not the worst thing in the world.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

FCKGW posted:

You can make a quick Automator action that will do this. I have one so I just right click on the images and it resizes and spits them out to my desktop.

Genius. Thank you.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

is there an adblocker for safari that doesn't suck
adguard for safari works good for me

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

Martytoof posted:

I’m at the point in my life where I’ll just stick with a poo poo product until I get accustomed to it rather than adapt my entire digital life around a whole new ecosystem because I’ve got no patience for figuring out how to make everything work together everywhere.

So I’m essentially just going to reward Tim Apple spitting on my face with this dumb UI overhaul by lining up to slavishly give them money for the next phone and watch in the next 12 months.
this is my take on it too. i used to be all about "muh customization" but as an adult, i just dont gaf anymore. just don't outright break functionality on poo poo and i'll continue to live this stockholm syndrome life 4eva.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

quote:

* Vibration API
yeah i think i'm ok with this one

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

Beaucoup Cuckoo posted:

Every other time I drag a tab out of the loving browser to open it in a new window safari crashes.
i genuinely thought u were just making up complaints about fake things until about 2 minutes ago when it happened to me twice

wtf

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

101 posted:

Is there a good tool for bulk-removing subtitles from .mkv files?

I'm using MKVToolNix atm but I have to go through each file one by one and the UI is awful on the Mac

MKVToolNix is just a GUI on top of a bunch of command line tools. I think it's mkvmerge that will do what you're looking for, and then you can just script the removal and let 'er rip.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

TACD posted:

Is there a Markdown editor for Mac that is:
  • Native (Electron makes me puke)
  • Single-pane, WYSIWYM (who the gently caress wants a dual-pane editor :confused:)
  • One-off purchase
  • Able to read/save files from my file system instead of its own proprietary / hidden cloud database
  • Ideally not completely butt-ugly

It doesn’t seem like an unreasonable list of features but I just can’t find one that meets them all. I’m on the verge of trying to start coding my own because Typora’s bugs are getting to me and I have a feeling the full release will be a paid subscription.
You've probably checked it out already (and it doesn't meet all of your requirements) but I really do love https://bear.app

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe
Got a bit of a weird one that just started happening in the last 12-18 hours or so.

All of a sudden, I'm not getting notifications popping up. They are being delivered because if I open Notification Center they're there, but I'm not actually getting the little popup telling me about them. I haven't made any changes (that I know of), and I've tried killing the Notification Center process and even restarting. I'm not in a Focus mode and I've tried turning those on and off just to make sure it wasn't half-stuck in one of those states.

I'm not really sure what else to do. Anyone have any ideas?

EDIT: I got fed up missing important emails and chatted in to Apple Support. She had me create a secondary profile and Fast User Switch into it to see if notifications were working at all on this machine. They were, and then when I flipped back to my normal profile, they started working there too. No idea what caused the problem, but pretty easy solution if a bit unconventional.

nexxai fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Nov 23, 2021