Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Martytoof posted:

I'm not at my mac right now, but something baffled me yesterday when I was working on a file in TextEdit. I instinctively saved my work as untitled.txt just so I wouldn't lose anything. After that it wouldn't let me "save as", only save a version and "save". So effectively untilited.txt was the name until I changed it in finder. Is this the intended beaviour? No more "save as" once you give the file an initial name?

Export is Save As...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Accipiter posted:

No it ISN'T. Export is not "Save As", it's loving EXPORT. And TextEdit doesn't even have an "Export" function, only "Export as PDF".

Please stop talking out of your rear end.

The equivalent of "Save As" is File > Duplicate followed by File > Save... on the newly-created document.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Well that's retarded. Why would they make it different in in different programs? So much for Apple standardization.

(In my defense, Export works as a Save As in Preview just dandy - I assumed it would work the same across other programs)

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

smackfu posted:

I think it's more like some apps have an export button that lets you export it in the current format (which is functionally the same as Save As), while others like TextEdit do not.

Yes, that's what I was getting at and failing to make myself understood. :(

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

I'm pretty sure you can run a disk verify with the system running. Go into Disk Utility and give it a shot.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Scamander posted:

I did this, and it said:

"This disk needs to be repaired. Start up your computer with another disk (such as your Mac OS X installation disk and then use Disk Utility to repair this disk."

Oof. Welp. Let's see, if you know anyone that you can borrow a Snow leopard disc from, that would work, or if there's an Apple store nearby, you could buy one, or hell, just ask them. If you bring in your machine they might do something for you.

If you could find an image somewhere it would work too, but I don't want to get all :filez:

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

TACD posted:

Preview has an 'export' option and it works just fine for this :confused: I just did this right now.

Yeah, it seems to be the exception to the rule, like I was saying yesterday. Even Pages won't let you Export to the same file format. :iiam:

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Oh thank gently caress. That's been driving me crazy for a while.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Petey posted:

I ran a fresh install of Lion and then, in order to get my old files, I just reached into my Backups folder on my Time Machine volume and pulled over stuff out of my Home directory (Documents, Music, etc).

Why the hell would you do this and not just restore the stuff using Time Machine / Migration assistant?

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

SERIOUS posted:

But nothing's running at all....

If you go into Activity Monitor and change it from My Processes to All Processes, is there anything lurking there? Have you tried changing it to 5 minutes and seeing if that works?

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Kaluza-Klein posted:

I have a macbook 1.1 and I am trying to install lion clean from an 8gb ipod. I backed up my ipod, and then used disk utility to "restore" installesd.dmg to the ipod. It seems to have worked, but when I select the drive from the menu I get from holding option at boot I just get a NO symbol after a few seconds. What gives? The macbook doesn't have a dvd writer, so I can't make a dvd.

I tried Lion Disk Maker 1.3 as well, and it produces the same results.

You can't put Lion on a Core Duo machine.

e: officially, at least. Are you trying that delete the PlatformSupport.plist method?

Doctor Zero fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Aug 8, 2011

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Ein posted:

So, I'm asking for a friend uuuhm, if I want to go from PC to a new MacBook Pro using Office 2011 connecting to Exchange with Outlook wouldn't be a problem right?

How about connecting to network shares or connecting to a Windows domain, how would that be handled?

The Mac/Exchange integration is excellent, and with a couple minor issues, I actually prefer the Mac version of Outlook for most things.

Network shares are connected by doing a Finder> Go> Connect to server: smb://server/share

You should be good.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Ein posted:

I tried doing the smb://server/share stuff today but it didn't work, this was on a loaner though, I was using Cisco VPN and connecting without fault to the network. Trying to go through the "connect to server" dialog while on VPN wouldn't work although it identified the server correctly but couldn't connect to it.

VPN connected perfectly, no issue there, I just want the network shares from a Mac using VPN to connect to Exchange and be able to use the network shares. Is there anything to do in Windows Server to make this work?

Is there something I'm missing, like how the hell network-drives work on Mac?

Ah it's probably a DNS thing. I had that problem as well over a Cisco VPN. I created a DNS entry for my server, but you should also be able to substitute the IP address for the server name. Something like SMB://127.0.0.1/sharename

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Verve posted:

Ok, I've been trying to download Lion from the Mac App Store for the past few weeks. 7 downloads (took about 1 day for each download as my connection is capped at 50 KB/s) all failed with the same error when I tried to install "The software could not be verified. It may have been corrupted or tampered with during downloading".

This is also a brand new iMac which I've just purchased. It's running a clean Snow Leopard install.(10.6.6 I believe)

Can I just download the Lion image file via torrent and then install it ? Or will it not work because of DRM ?

Your download is probably getting stopped at some point. I had that problem when I plugged into the wire and it interrupted my download, but of course it didn't take me a day to re-download. :(

There should be a USB-based version hitting stores soon, but also there is no DRM or serial on the Lion installer.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

The MBP doesn't have vents on the inside of the clamshell, does it?

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Mex posted:

I opened my big dumb mouth about installing Lion OSX and my now my brother wants it on his Mac.

It's a 17" MacBook Pro 4.1
2.5ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
2 gb of Ram.
But it's running Mac OSX 10.5.8 (Leopard?)

Is it worth upgrading that to Lion? Also, you can install Lion directly on top of that, with a USB stick, right?

I've read about how to make the USB stick and I'm re-downloading Lion from my Mac. Anyone have experience upgrading from something that isn't Snow Leopard?

You'd have to wipe it and do a clean install. Far as I know, you can only upgrade Snow Leopard. And sure, it would run Lion, although it would run better with 4gb.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

I have a couple users on a machine that I want to archive just in case. They are moved to a new mac, but they haven't been in to check to make sure everything's okay. I don't expect any problems, and I want to redeploy the machine. I don't have an extra drive sitting around to do a time machine backup. Can I just copy the User folders over to another disk or something? Should I delete them and save the Home directory and then copy that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Yeah, I distinctly remember upgrading every Mac in my building because Snow Leopard was such a bump in performance.