Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

VLC is my back up, I think the UI feels clunky but it plays basically everything. Movist with the Perian plug-in is the most pleasant to use imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Why not just clean install Lion? Saves some time.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Yeah if you make a bootable Lion disk on USB or a DVD you can do a full installation on an empty wiped drive. I guess it's not a big deal though since it's only saving you 30 minutes of time.

Though I don't really know how Time Machine backup works so someone else should chime in on that.

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jul 22, 2011

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Krakkles posted:

So I couldn't create the Lion disc because my system removed the installer after it installed. I put in my SL DVD and held down C, got to the bootup, ran disk utility, and erased/reformatted my drive.

Now I'm getting this, and I have no idea what to do:

Try going back to Disk Utility and follow this guide http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Repair/Installing-Mac-OS-X-v10-5-Leopard/751/1

I think something got messed up when you manually wiped the drive. It would have done it for you in the correct format when installing Snow Leopard.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Technically, yes. But if you know anyone that has Lion or can get your hands on a Lion boot disk you'll be able to clean install Lion. You'll have to wipe the drive first though, you can't do an upgrade.

http://www.macworld.com/article/161087/2011/07/install_lion_over_leopard.html

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Jul 23, 2011

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Lion isn't associated with anything, you can use the installer to do as many installs as you want. It doesn't use any CD keys or anything like that. If you're selling the computer I'd just install Lion but give them the original SL discs of course.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

So much bitching. After reading the last 20 pages I'm definitely holding off on upgrading my iMac to Lion. Snow Leopard has been fine and I have no complaints. I can put Lion on the laptop to play around with it though. It's not like Lion really adds much for desktop users.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Space Racist posted:

Huh? The only Lion feature that really screams 'laptop' is the fullscreen apps thing, and even that can be nice on the desktop in certain scenarios. Not saying your usage patterns are identical to mine, but I'm loving Lion on my iMac so far.

I was thinking all the gestures, spaces with full screen apps, launchpad, and some other small things like natural scrolling are kind of useless for me. I use a mouse and keyboard and my display is big enough that I never need to use spaces and full screen apps look dumb on 2560 x 1440. I'm going to install Lion eventually. I'm just going to play around with it first on my MBP before I put it on the desktop.

Is there any reason to rush into Lion on my iMac? What features do you like the best? I'm assuming Apple will release a big patch like they always do with a new OS, might wait for that first to clean out the small kinks.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I just installed an SSD on my MBP. Are there any tweaks I should be doing in Lion for maintenance? It's an OWC 120gig and they claim that it doesn't need TRIM and has garbage collection built-in.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Yes, I just tried it right now in Firefox and Safari

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

duck monster posted:

Is anyone else having a problem with firefox being flakey as all gently caress?

At the moment, EVERY time I log into facebook it crashes, and a whole bunch of other pages crash it too.

I'm going to try safemode, but this is getting wearying, and firefox is pretty central to my work as a web developer :(

Firefox has been working fine for me except every time I try to play a youtube video it says some error message even though the video plays fine.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Tried this?
http://lifehacker.com/251758/mac-tip--how-to-burn-an-iso-or-dmg-file-to-disc

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Since you already own 10.6 can't you just find a copy using Google? It's not like they come with serial keys or anything. Just make a boot disk with that and you can use it to verify/repair your hard drive. I also ran into the same problem when I was installing Windows 7 but I do have the recovery discs that came with the iMac. It just takes a minute or two to repair.

Do you know anyone else with any OSX installation discs or a USB boot disk? Another thing is if you're going to buy Lion then you can download that first and create a USB boot disk off that.

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Aug 3, 2011

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Anandtech says the upgrade is worth it and some benchmarks show it's over 20% faster.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4554/apples-11inch-macbook-air-core-i7-18ghz-review-update/2

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Did anyone upgrade to Lion while also having a boot camped Windows? If I try to hold down the option key while booting up I'll get a kernel panic. Also if I pick Windows 7 from the Startup Disk in Preferences it will hang in the grey screen once in a while. I can successfully boot into Windows sometimes but these freezes and panics are annoying. I'm thinking of wiping everything to do a fresh Lion install and do boot camp partition afterwards again.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

You can re-download all the apps from iTunes the next chance you get without problems. Don't know about backing up your pdfs though

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I stopped using Perian or VLC after I found Movist. It plays practically everything and it has a nice UI.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Don't lift the MBP lid?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I used a 15" Powerbook G4 (aka Firebooks) in closed clamshell mode for a couple years without problems. Yeah it got really hot and my room became an oven and I could hear the fans from the kitchen but it wasn't damaged. I thought all Macbook Pros were designed to be used this way?

Is your 2007 model the one where they put a shitload of thermal paste on it, causing it to overheat?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Yep I downloaded the Windows support software when it prompted me to. It's about 600 megs and you can just put it on a USB drive. You just have to run the setup.exe after loading Windows.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Epic Fail Guy posted:

Is there any way to format a thumb drive to FAT32 from within Lion?

Disk Utility -> Erase -> MS-DOS

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Cyne posted:

Edit: Actually, it's producing a FAT16 filesystem for me here. I could have sworn it was FAT32... I mean, why wouldn't it be?

I'm looking around the Apple support forums and it looks like Disk Utility now does FAT16 or 32 depending on the capacity of the device? This is weird. I guess if it's 2gb or less it will go with 16.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Stare-Out posted:

So is the Logitech Control Center just a turd or is there a reason why my Back/Forward thumb buttons don't work in Finder? If I set them to the cmd-right/cmd-left keypress, they work but they constantly reset back to back/forward and stop working in Finder. Back/forward work fine in Chrome, for instance.

I've never had trouble with LCC in the past 6-7 years on Macs. This is how I set it up, just assign the back button to "back" and forward to "forward." Not those key combos. Maybe you have to get a new version of LCC after a Lion upgrade? A new version came out July 20 http://www.logitech.com/en-us/584/3129

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Aug 20, 2011

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Scrolls fine for me

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I don't think it will let you re-download the Lion installer if it came with Lion. The MBA also uses some newer build of Lion and won't install with the standard one.

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Aug 22, 2011

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I still see some ads and pop ups when I use Chrome so I still use Firefox. I hope the ad block guys can make it as good as the Firefox version. That's really the only complaint.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Plays smooth for me, just tried a 1080p video on Youtube

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It doesn't feel that different to me. It lets you see the different spaces more easily but I never used them in the first place.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

carry on then posted:

"Chicken of the VNC" is the best app name I've ever seen

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Sep 5, 2011

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I LOVE DICKS

AND PUSSY

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Thanks, I am now using Sparrow!

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

That's strange. Maybe it needs 2 usb ports to power it up? FAT32 shows up fine on my Macs.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Jolan posted:

Just got a new iMac with Lion to complement my MacBook with Snow Leopard, and I'm having some issues. First off, Text Editor is weird. On my MB, it opens an empty file whenever I click on the icon to start it up, it doesn't save changes automatically (always asks) and it doesn't re-open windows from the last time it was open. Now, it does. How can I 'fix' this?

Welcome to Lion

You can use this guide to revert some of the changes
http://lifehacker.com/5824564/how-to-de+ios+ify-mac-os-x-lion

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Sep 21, 2011

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Granite Octopus posted:

Absolutely. I cannot believe how bad flash is on YouTube for example. On a freshly installed machine, running Chrome, viewing a video using flash on a website built by the same god drat company as the browser and yet it still somehow does not work.

Wouldn't this be the fault of Chrome? Never had a problem with Flash using Firefox. Even using Safari without any ad block extension Youtube works fine.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Jeratain posted:

This is a really basic question, but here it goes.

1. I cannot play XVID AVI files within Quicktime and would prefer to do so without using third party software.
a) I've tried installing Perian, but it doesn't seem to work.
b) I've installed VLC to hold me over, but would prefer to have everything work in QuickTime. Any ideas why Perian doesn't do the trick?

2. What's the best method of streaming an AVI file to a current generation Apple TV? Should I convert it on the fly or are there methods of doing so natively?

Just use Movist to play videos. It handles nearly everything and it's not bloated like VLC. Very simple interface and starts up super quick.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

If I make my own Lion USB boot disk does it work now on the Macbook Air or Mini? I know in the past the MBA/Mini had separate Lion versions or something. I just downloaded Lion again and it says it was last updated Oct 13.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

A FUCKTON OF WEED posted:

Howdy OS X thread- I'm helping a friend of mine with her iMac; she's wanting to wipe the drive because she is going to be selling it to a roommate and using her MacBook pro as her primary machine. The problem is that she doesn't have her install DVD anywhere, it went missing some time ago. We do, however, have the Lion installer that she kept when she upgraded. Can we put the iMac into target mode, hook that up to her MBP, then use the MBP's disk utility to wipe the drive and then instal Lion using the installer we downloaded from the App Store? I remember when it came out, Lion was an upgrade app only but wasn't sure if that's changed.

It's easier and faster to make a Lion Installer on a USB stick.

http://osxdaily.com/2011/07/08/make-a-bootable-mac-os-x-10-7-lion-installer-from-a-usb-flash-drive/

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It's normal. The SD stuff is meant to watch on your iPhone/iPad etc. I'm also not aware of a way to cancel those downloads. It just forces you to download the SD ones even if you don't need them.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

angor posted:

I've run all the updates on my 15"MBP and I'm having WiFi issues. It shows that the airport is connected to my home network, but I don't have a connection. It takes about a minute to actually get any data traffic. When I open Safari, it tells me I'm not connected. If I click Network Diagnostics it says that everything is working.

Have you tried this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0LQV_OQ_Sc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I played around with Launchbar and reverse scrolling for 5 minutes and then reverted back to the way god intended. "natural" scrolling makes no sense at all if you use a mouse.