Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

I just got an iMac to compliment my Windows 7 laptop for work since my director loves OSX something fierce. I am trying to use the built in terminal to ssh into remote linux servers, which works great, but I cannot figure out how to enable X11 pass through. As such, no installer can use GUI windows when launched from the remote servers. I searched the internet and edited my sshd_config file to all X11 pass through, but it is still not working. I can launch things with X11 if I stay in the local terminal, but once I ssh to other servers it is just says "Error, can't find display."

Can anybody help a dummy out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

polpotpotpotpotpot posted:

ssh -X user@host

doesn't work?

(Sorry, it's not clear if you're asking for the answer to "how do I ssh forward?" or the answer to "why doesn't -X work?")

That was it. I was not using the -X switch.

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

Is there a free Active Directory explorer/editor available for OSX? Something that behaves similarly to ADSIedit would be the bee's knees.

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

I just moved from one mac to another for work, and now I have 3 phantom unread items in my exchange inbox in Outlook 2011. Everything I find on removing phantom items comes from the stock mac mail client. Anything quick and easy I can do to get my notifications to make sense again?

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

Mercurius posted:

They said it'll happen whenever Office for Touch (which is presumably a proper Windows 8 style office) is finished.

iWork is only free if you've bought a new iOS device since the new iPhones were released.

How does this work. I got a 5c through work that I tied to my AppleID, and I just got a 27" iMac also tied to my AppleID, but in the Mac App Store I still show as having to pay $20 per iWork application.

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

So I just got my new iMac delivered less than a week ago. How can I contact Apple to see if I can get grandfathnered into this "iWork free on new Macs" thing they announced today?

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

Joe Don Baker posted:

What date was it ordered? The free poo poo is for Macs purchased on or after 10/1.

October 6. Curious as iWork still shows a cost per app in the App Store. I guess my original question of who do I complain to stands.

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

This may be the stupidest of newbie questions, but is antimalware on the mac recommended? I just realized that the two macs I used at work had mcafee as part of the standard image, but my imac at home is without.

If it is necessary or recommended, what should I use?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

Nah, work stuff is work stuff on work macs with GPOs and the works and my imac is at home. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't leaving myself totally open to vulnerabilities.