Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JamesOff
Dec 12, 2002

What a frightening beast!

Mikey-San posted:

That sounds like a bug in Xcode, and you should report it. Bugs are fixable.

Especially because (from the Ars article):

quote:

[...] it must not be the active application, it must have no visible, non-minimized windows—and, of course, it must explicitly support Automatic Termination.
but you said it had windows open?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JamesOff
Dec 12, 2002

Modern Pragmatist posted:

Since upgrading to Lion, my version of Matlab vomits out the following every few seconds
pre:
2011-09-28 16:19:11.532 MATLAB_maci64[99494:8d03] This process is attempting to exclude an item from Time Machine 
by path without administrator privileges. This is not supported.
Since I'm running the application from the command line, it gets pretty annoying since I'm trying to look at the real output from the program not these warnings.

I tried redirecting stderr when starting the program but that causes all of the errors from the program itself to also be redirected. Is there any way that I can silence this thing?

If you have any idea what path it's trying to exclude, maybe exclude that yourself so it doesn't try to? Alternatively, run it once with sudo so it can add the exclusion and then hopefully it'll shut up.

JamesOff
Dec 12, 2002

Martytoof posted:

Any suggestions? I could write a login hook to hdiutil eject it, I suppose. Ideally there would be some way to flag a drive as "DO NOT MOUNT" though.

I can't see a way to tag the fs itself as no-automount, but it looks like adding the UUID to fstab and giving it the noauto option will do it.

http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=20060930150059172 is an old hint although the comments are fresh, and agree with http://www.quora.com/How-can-I-disable-automount-on-a-specific-external-USB-disk-in-Mac-OS-X

I haven't tested it since I don't have my MBP at work today but it looks like it's the Right Thing.

JamesOff
Dec 12, 2002

Cockwhore posted:

At any rate, try changing /etc/hosts instead, and if that doesn't work change the permissions of all your hosts files to -r--r--r--

I'm not sure what /private is for; the hier(7) man page doesn't mention it and the URL it points to on Apple's developer site is a 404. I'm about to get on a plane so I can't look into it more.

FWIW though, /etc is just a symlink to /private/etc so it doesn't matter which you edit.

JamesOff
Dec 12, 2002

vikingstrike posted:

In Finder you can also do Go>Go to Folder... Then type in ~/Library/Application Support/Steam to get there. I think you're looking at the system level Library in finder and your user library in terminal.

Maybe late to the party, but "open ." in a Terminal will launch a Finder window for your current path too.

JamesOff
Dec 12, 2002

Regarding (de)fragmentation on HFS+, I recommend a read of this:
http://osxbook.com//software/hfsdebug/fragmentation.html

I also recommend the book, if you're interested in how things work inside the OS :)

JamesOff
Dec 12, 2002

Macintosh posted:

Reason: Error in sieve filter: Too many notifys specified

sieve is a server-side mail processing language. That looks like a configuration error on their end. Did you maybe change your filtering rules recently (can you? I don't use iCloud mail) and maybe that's ended up with a bad configuration for your account.

JamesOff
Dec 12, 2002

Martytoof posted:

I wish there was a way to make Cmd-V system-default to "Paste and match style"

There's nothing worse than copying something from Safari and seeing its style in your nice, neat document.

Alfred has a "Plain Paste" command you can assign a hotkey to (not sure if it requires the Powerpack; probably).

JamesOff
Dec 12, 2002

THC posted:

Is there some way to disable Flash in Safari so that I don't get goddamn Flash ads draining my battery all the time? Preferably have it block flash content by default but allow me to display it if I want.

I use ClickToPlugin on all my computers, with a few domains whitelisted where I'm always going to want Flash or whatever to run.

JamesOff
Dec 12, 2002

Experto Crede posted:

[multiple instances of same app in Open With fix]

Thanks, been meaning to fix this on my machines and this did it. (I just relaunched Finder instead of rebooting and that worked.

JamesOff
Dec 12, 2002

HATE TROLL TIM posted:

(I really want to figure out a way to make Fusion suspend itself and quit if there's no Windows activity for an hour or something.)

Fusion will suspend the VM if the guest OS goes into standby - maybe a fiddle with the power plan in Windows so it heads for standby after an hour? Fusion won't quit but at least the VM will be out of the way.

JamesOff
Dec 12, 2002

Martytoof posted:

What happens if you hibernate a boot camp partition through VMware Fusion and then physically boot to it? Does it just invalidate the sleeping state and treat it as an unclean shutdown?

I can't test it because I don't have Boot Camp set up, but I don't believe the bootloader for Windows does any "is this the same hardware" verification so it'll probably blindly load the hibernated state and then fall over and BSOD due to all the hardware changing underneath it (VMware disk controller becomes the native one, etc).

Just in case, I wouldn't suspend it as a VM and then boot it either, as the suspend state will have in-memory representations of things like your registry and disk map, so changing those and then resuming the VM state will at best result in it bursting into tears.

JamesOff
Dec 12, 2002

door Door door posted:

Two finger scroll (put two fingers on the trackpad and move them up or down).

The scrollbars also appear if you put two fingers on the trackpad without moving them, which can be handy for checking progress through a document without actually moving it.

JamesOff
Dec 12, 2002

outlier posted:

- MacBook is asleep, I wake it up and get the enter password screen. THEN
- I enter the password, get to the desktop, start to do something and the Mac goes to sleep
- I wake up the Mac, enter my password and all is fine

It seems to only happen when it's running on battery, not the power cable. Ideas?

I get this, and have done on two MBPs so far. Are you running Fusion, by any chance?

JamesOff
Dec 12, 2002

lol internet. posted:

Thanks! This is awesome.

Don't forget if you're looking for a command you can pop open the Help menu and type the name of it into the search box. Highlighting it in the results (easily done with down arrow) will open the menu the command is in and point at it. One of my favourite OS X features.

JamesOff
Dec 12, 2002

BobHoward posted:

code:
find /Volumes/YourDriveNameHere \( -name '*.cr2' -or -name '*-2.dng' \) -print0 | xargs -0 rm

Variant I was going to post:
code:
find /Volumes/YourDriveNameHere \( -name '*.cr2' -or -name '*-2.dng' \) -delete
I run this without -delete to check it's matching the right things, and then run it properly.

JamesOff
Dec 12, 2002

kode54 posted:

My fork of Cog

Just wanted to say thanks for this, Cog is my go-to player when I'm playing stuff outside of my iTunes library :)

(Also your codesign script made me laugh)

JamesOff
Dec 12, 2002

lol internet. posted:

Did something change in OSX or Chrome?

I have a Microsoft keyboard and I swapped the Control + Option keys.

I use to do Control + L in Chrome to go straight address bar but it seems to not work now. If I reset, the keyboard modifies, the Option + L does work?

Cmd+L?

JamesOff
Dec 12, 2002

You can block those clipboard hijacking scripts with something like AdBlock, just add a rule for the domain of the service or the file name of the script which does it.

JamesOff
Dec 12, 2002

I have a mid-2011 iMac with a home-made Fusion Drive which has been working fine since I set it up. However, I'd like to flatten and reinstall this machine because it's accumulated a lot of cruft, and I'd also quite like to remake my Fusion Drive "officially" if I can.

I think I saw it mentioned in passing a few pages back but can anyone confirm/deny that I could wipe all the CS stuff of my disks and the Yosemite installer (booted from a USB stick) would offer to create a Fusion Drive when it sees my physical disks?

If not I'll just format the partition I guess :)

JamesOff
Dec 12, 2002

Has anyone done NetInstall/NetBoot using Microsoft DHCP? I have a Mini running OS X Server (Yosemite), and we have a Windows domain so DHCP is done by that.

I can see my NetInstall image in the Startup Disk preference panel, but when I restart the machine to boot from it, or boot holding N, I get a blinking globe which after 30s or so gives up and it boots the local disk.

I've packet-captured the machine while it was trying that, and I can see it sending DHCP requests which get offers in response, but it seems to ignore them - presumably because it's requesting some options which aren't in the reply, specifically 67 Bootfile Name, 43 Vendor Specific Information, and 60 Vendor Class Identifier. Having failed to get an IP, I guess it never even manages to do the BSDP broadcast to find my OS X Server. When it does have an IP (when booted normally, and having made a "normal" DHCP request which it likes the answer to), it can then do the BSDP broadcast and the NetBoot server shows up in Startup Disk.

I've had a look around for examples of how to configure MS DHCP to give answers the Mac likes, but part of the problem is options 43 and 60. 60 seems to need to be "AAPLBSDPC/i386" and possibly a model after that (in the reply from the server? not sure) but 43 needs to be some constructed byte value which contains the BSDP information and looks like it's dynamically built by bootpd as it assembles the reply: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boot_Service_Discovery_Protocol

At this point I'm about ready to give up and just go round to machines with a USB stick to install them which is much less convenient and much slower, but at least I can use the OS X Server for things like caching updates.

(Moving the server and the Macs to their own VLAN so I can use all the native Apple things is not really an option.)

Anyone else made this environment work? If so, how?

JamesOff
Dec 12, 2002

Nerdrock posted:

might want to maybe just try letting OSX take care of DHCP/Netboot... with the whitelist only it should prevent it from screwing up existing clients / your windows world.

Ah I didn't spot the whitelist on the OS X DHCP server, that could work.

Shin-chan posted:

You will need to either setup iphelper addresses for bootp packets to be sent to your Netboot server, or setup a bootpd relay on the subnet that you want to image clients on.

So the MS DHCP server is on a different subnet and there is an iphelper configured on the router. The Mini is on the same VLAN as the clients. There's no particular reason for this other than I want to use the Caching Service as our Internet connection is rubbish, and since it says clients on the network will automatically use it I was assuming that was a broadcast too :)

quote:

In my experience, usually the deployment center of IT is on its own network with the server on the same subnet because of this.

This is broadly what I thought would be easiest - I'll present a couple of VLANs to the Mini and attach the DHCP/Netinstall services to one of them, and then just have a cable on my desk on that VLAN for machines I'm building.

JamesOff
Dec 12, 2002

spongeworthy posted:

Can anyone explain why UserEventAgent attempts to connect to appleiphonecell.com and thinkdifferent.us, et al after booting up the computer or at other times? I don't have any applications open on boot except Calendar, Mail, and Little Snitch.

I see other queries on the internet about it but no clear answer.

Is it the thing which tries to detect if you're on a network which needs a login page popped up (e.g. hotel/airport wifi)? There's definitely something which tries to hit an Apple domain or two and if it doesn't get the answer it expects then it opens a window for you to login, but I'm not sure if it's UserEventAgent that handles it.

JamesOff
Dec 12, 2002

Sad Panda posted:

I don't know if this belongs here, or elsewhere so feel free to tell me where it should go!

I'm trying to download some pdfs from a website and there are about 300 so doing it by hand is a pain. I tried using SiteSucker to download them, but it's failing for some reason.

The files are located in

code:
http://www.fpoe.at/fileadmin/Content/portal/NFZ/YY/nfzNNYY.pdf
The YY varies from 05 to 14 (2005-2014) and the NN goes from 01-52, but they don't each have 52 pdfs.

I tried googling for automated downloading with a mask, but get nothing. I've got a Parallels Windows install if there's something there that'd be easier.

edit : With a bit of SublimeText magic I made a txt file with 520 urls and I'm feeding that into wget.

code:
for YY in {05..14}; do
    for NN in {01..52}; do
        curl -fO http://www.fpoe.at/fileadmin/Content/portal/NFZ/${YY}/nfz${NN}${YY}.pdf
        if [ "$?" -eq 22 ]; then rm -f nfz${NN}${YY}.pdf; fi;
    done
done
Error 22 from curl is when it detects a 404 so it removes the file it gets (which is the 404 HTML page).

If you're feeling nice, put a "sleep 5" or something before the first "done" so you're not just hammering their servers.

Written in zsh, pretty sure bash supports the {x...y} syntax though. If not, replace with $( seq -w x y ).

(e: added -w option to seq, and removed bbcode url tags which got added automatically)

JamesOff fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Jan 13, 2015

JamesOff
Dec 12, 2002

aherdofpenguins posted:

Is there a way to make it so that I don't have to type anything special at all, and if I type "cat" it will define cat as well as give me a list of apps that have the word 'cat' in it? I'm poking around but can't find anything like that.

edit: Even if there isn't, this thing is incredible.

Doesn't quite match your requirement of having it mix the definition with other results, but you could make a workflow with a custom hotkey trigger which opens Alfred with "define " already filled in for you ready to type the word.

Threw one together for you, it's using shift-cmd-D which is a dumb shortcut but I was just mucking around: http://cloud.jamesoff.net/0c3e3Q3E2B3H

Might need the Powerpack before you can use it, but IMO the Powerpack is a must-buy anyway :)

JamesOff
Dec 12, 2002

aherdofpenguins posted:

Rock on! Lemme use Alfred for a bit and see how I like it, and I'll see if getting the Powerpack is worth it. I'm not sure what I'd use it for other than keeping a history of my copy and paste and the workflow you just made for me, though.

Of the stuff on the Powerpack page, the things I use most are the filesystem navigation/actions, and sync. Pretty much all of the features get used though.

JamesOff
Dec 12, 2002

Arrowsmith posted:

Could anyone do me a favor and post the hash for this? I have a weird Safari bug where I can't load Apple Support KB pages to get the info (or even the links to the DMGs) myself.

This should be the initially-posted one and the newer one:

pre:
~/Downloads % ls -ln *.dmg; md5 *.dmg
-rw-r-----@ 1 460754206  2076187967  841144579 30 Jan 12:41 OSXUpdCombo10.10.2 (1).dmg
-rw-r-----@ 1 460754206  2076187967  840280237 28 Jan 10:42 osxupdcombo10.10.2.dmg
MD5 (OSXUpdCombo10.10.2 (1).dmg) = 95c7be3023565453a83a7f7ab81102c1
MD5 (osxupdcombo10.10.2.dmg) = 6ed8811a39f1526381466e545d1c40e8

JamesOff
Dec 12, 2002

Eight Is Legend posted:

Which backup/cloud solution do you guys use for your photos? I used to have over 20 GB of space in my Dropbox because of some Space Race promotion, but that was apparently a limited deal. Now I'm back at 8 GB with no way near enough room for all the photos I had backed up there.

I have Backblaze set up for both my machines and my parents'. It works really well as a set-it-and-forget-it solution.

JamesOff
Dec 12, 2002

It handled my 22,285 photos which were in Aperture fine, and took a few days to upload it all. I like it better than iPhoto and it's probably a better fit for me than Aperture was. It's handling that massive library without much in the way of slowdown (mostly when you do something like edit tags on a lot of photos at once). It definitely has some ".0" version issues to work out but mostly things I can't do (like drag one Faces bubble onto another to merge them). Upgraded to the 200GB iCloud plan for three quid a month, of which it's using 123GB. Syncing to other devices seems to work well too.

Going to give it another week or so and then try to get my parents migrated from iPhoto to it, they really can't grok Events/Albums properly and I think Photos' way of presenting stuff will make more sense to them.

JamesOff
Dec 12, 2002

kode54 posted:

So, how would I go about totally destroying and rebuilding my Spotlight indexes?

code:
sudo mdutil -E / 
in a terminal

JamesOff
Dec 12, 2002

Generic Monk posted:

you could just use ublock and activate the blocklists that block ad/tracking requests - at this point every site ever makes some use of javascript so having a whitelist seems like more trouble than it's worth

A month or two ago I turned on blocking 3rd party frames in uBlock and that breaks way less than you might expect. About the only thing I notice broken regularly is missing youtube embeds, and that's a click or two to whitelist for sites I care about it on. Tried loading theverge homepage just now and got 17 (39%) requests blocked.

JamesOff
Dec 12, 2002

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

A few months ago I simply switched to blocking plug-ins globally in Safari and then whitelisting certain sites

A while back I went a bit scorched earth on my browsing and set uBlock to block all 3rd party scripts and 3rd party iframes. Things broke a lot less than you'd expect, and whitelisting common shared things (Google fonts, jquery and the like) fixes a lot of things back up. It's amazing how much unnecessary crap gets pulled in with a lot of pages now.

JamesOff
Dec 12, 2002

McDeth posted:

Edit: Notice on my screen that Disk Utility only showed the Volume and not the entire device...weird.

You have a [Security Options...] button - last time I wanted to wipe a disk (old laptop getting junked) it wasn't there despite help and various things online making reference to it. I had to do to it with diskutil secureErase.

Go home, Disk Utility, you're drunk and also a pile of poo poo

JamesOff
Dec 12, 2002

TACD posted:

Sounds like your Keychain password didn't get changed when the login password got updated. By default they have the same password so the Keychain unlocks automatically but it's possible to give it a different one for added security. I don't have a Mac in front of me right now but if you open 'Keychain Access' there should be an option somewhere to change the password, I think if you make it the same as your login one you should be set.

Try this: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201609

JamesOff
Dec 12, 2002

Luceo posted:

3-lb sledgehammer fixes all your spinny-drive disposal problems. I mean, yeah, so does zeroing out the drive, but the sledgehammer is more fun.

For a fully secure wipe, hit it with 7 different sledgehammers.

JamesOff
Dec 12, 2002

Powercrazy posted:

So does this tool exist within sublime, or should I just use a completely different text editor?

How's your vim-fu? Open the two files in vertically-split windows, and then do :diffthis in each.

JamesOff
Dec 12, 2002

LPG Giant posted:

Is there something odd going on with how OSX calculates disk space?

Macbook Pro Retina, 13 inch 256 GB, OS X El Capitan.

Time Machine's "Local snapshots" are fudged out in Finder's usage displays, but things like Disk Inventory X will count them.

JamesOff
Dec 12, 2002

EnsGDT posted:

Friend of mine has a question, and this seemed like the best resource to get an answer:

GoodSync?

JamesOff
Dec 12, 2002

wdarkk posted:

Is there any way to make the embedded webms in SA posts go to their fallback or whatever when I'm using Safari? I don't really want to reinstall Perian at this date.

I have Perian installed and they're not working anyway. Have I missed a step? I started up Chrome for the PYF GIF thread and my laptop nearly melted :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JamesOff
Dec 12, 2002

OS X has a utility called caffeinate built in, if you just want something quick (and no UI) for sleep prevention. You can use it to launch something and prevent sleep until it exits, give it an existing pid to watch, or just a timeout.

code:
man caffeinate