Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

What's going on with Safari and these forums? Since I moved to an M1 MacBook there's been a noticeable input delay typing into the post box that doesn't occur anywhere else.

You can actually build up a 2-3 second delay and the text will revert to full speed if you swap to another application. It's the weirdest thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apr 7, 2003

why would I want to use a phone app on my computer

Apr 7, 2003

Binary Badger posted:

https://twitter.com/MajinBuOfficial/status/1529809611582328833

According to this fairly accurate leaker, Time Machine has been finally fixed, spiffed up and is iCloud ready for macOS Mammoth.. I'll believe it when I see it.

They still haven't even fixed Disk Utility.

As a guy with a 16tb NAS I don't particularly give a gently caress if it's integrated to iCloud or not, I just want it to save backups to my NAS without nuking them on restore.

Apr 7, 2003

kim jong-illin posted:

Having a frustrating issue where I can't delete a file on macOS 12.3.1.

The .epub at the bottom is a file that was downloaded from my iCloud drive into my non-iCloud sync'd download folder.

If I try to delete by right-clicking on it, I get the following error message:

If I try to use Terminal to delete it, the file can't be dragged into Terminal and the path has to be manually entered, then using the rm command just makes Terminal hang indefinitely

I'm assuming something went wrong during the process of downloading it from iCloud drive and now I can't find a way to get rid of it. Endless reboots, making sure all macOS updates are installed, ensuring I have read/write permissions for the file and it's not locked etc, have all made no difference.

Any suggestions for how to get rid of it short of flattening and reinstalling my entire OS?

The open parenthesis is a reserved character and doesn't have a matching close parenthesis so the shell isn't hanging, it's waiting for more input. Like the guy up above said, you can escape it with quotes or a \ before the parenthesis if that comes up again.

Apr 7, 2003

Skeezy posted:

I think it’s pretty neat, don’t know what the masses will say but it works well and is noticeably better than the MBP 14’s web cam.

I really don't want to be in high definition on work calls though

Apr 7, 2003

The Lord Bude posted:

Safari has an odd bug where there is massive keyboard lag when you try and type out a post on SA - SA is the only site where this happens. But I’ve been using the iOS forums app on my Mac and I prefer it to the web browser.

I'm having that happen too and posted about it here before. I'm using a M1 Mac.

Oddly enough, if I alt-tab to another running program, the backed up buffer shows up instantly in the input window.

Apr 7, 2003

TraderStav posted:

That's really weird, I haven't had that happen at all. Typing out right now without it. What other circumstances does this bug show up?

Are you using an ARM MacBook? I had a 2017 Intel MacBook before this one and the input lag didn't happen.

Problem predates the new buttons and quite literally happens nowhere else on the internet but these dead gay forums in Safari. Pretty impressive.

Apr 7, 2003

They let you do the little custom folder "DRAG THIS HERE" with a symlink to Apps, which is useful.

Apr 7, 2003

Has anyone noticed Google Maps going to poo poo over the past two weeks or so in Safari? Ran fine before that, now it doesn't scroll or smooth well and street view is pixelated / pans slower than hell.

Apr 7, 2003

Probably a Google "enhancement" to get people on Chrome

Apr 7, 2003

Binary Badger posted:

Also important to remember is that certain features of Ventura will not be available to filthy Intel peons.

Here's a list of those features, many of which are dependent on hardware in Apple Silicon Macs that doesn't exist on Intels.

https://www.macrumors.com/2022/06/08/macos-ventura-features-intel-macs-no-support/

Captioning spoken audio, a technology that is only possible on ARM platforms.

Apr 7, 2003

It's pretty clear those omissions are a stick to get people to upgrade and not due to limitations of the Intel platform, though.

Apr 7, 2003

BobHoward posted:

These and many other Apple Silicon exclusives are machine learning inference running on Apple's Neural Engine, a high performance coprocessor only present in Apple Silicon.

Yes, with significant extra effort, some of these features (the ones with lower performance requirements) could probably be ported to run on x86 CPU cores, subjecting users to the joy of full blast fans during facetime calls and so on. Just saying that the forced / planned obsolescence narrative isn't a clean fit here since they really are taking advantage of hardware which doesn't exist in Intel Macs.

Apple must be making fuckin' bank from all the Apple Silicon that YouTube is buying to caption videos in real time.

Apr 7, 2003

graph posted:

i have and have been meaning to ask about it. my m1 imac does this. i have menumeters (everyone should have menumeters) and typing in the sa reply box will peg an entire loving core lol

All of my Macs have done this since the M1 MBP and I've posted about it in the past here. iPhones do it too. and it only happens here. There are still other vBulletin sites out there, like citydata.com, that are unaffected.

Apr 7, 2003

Office 365 is $7.99 a month and you get 1tb of cloud storage out of the deal too, if MS compatibility is a big worry.

Apr 7, 2003

I use symlinks with OneDrive to selectively sync some stuff to my MacBook and other stuff that I don't need on that to my NAS, maybe try that.

Apr 7, 2003

Mono is caused by a virus, yes.

Apr 7, 2003

SlowBloke posted:

I'm still paying office 365 not because i need it but because onedrive is a far better solution than icloud as photo or general purpose storage.

It's straight up cheaper to do Office 365 + OneDrive than it was to do DropBox and you get more storage with OneDrive too. Plus you can still do symlinks.

Apr 7, 2003

Heh, more like SlowBooks

Apr 7, 2003

We use the OneDrive app to sync to onedrive and the NAS updates from OneDrive.

Apr 7, 2003

Are MBP 13 M2s only capable of 60hz on external monitors? That's all I'm getting here and I'm wondering if it's the laptop itself or the dongle.

Apr 7, 2003

Are you saying that the operating system is a piece of poo poo?

Apr 7, 2003

The operating system is there so you can get your work done, it doesn't need new bells and whistles every six weeks. MacOS is unobtrusive and that's fine.

Apr 7, 2003

eightysixed posted:

This was my point.

If you don’t have that many tabs open for work, you’re slacking, or not trying hard enough to earn your salary.

Getting put on a PIP because my browser only had four tabs open when my boss walked by

Apr 7, 2003

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

I've had a 24" M1 iMac for two years now and I barely use it. Every time I try to force myself to use it I get hung on on one thing: the loving mouse pointer control in macOS sucks absolute poo poo.

At first I thought it was just the Apple Magic Mouse, and while that is the worst mouse I have ever used, it isn't just that. I have tried several different mice, Logitech's Logi+ app, 3rd party github mouse pointer apps. Nothing. The mouse acceleration always feels unnatural to me, causing me to over or undershoot the things I want to click constantly, no matter the settings. The scrolling, since they refuse to give you "one mouse wheel click = X number of lines no matter what" as an option, always feels laggy and jumpy. The hacks that attempt to override this only result in the scrolling being even more jumpy and sporadic.

Any other suggestions before I give up and sell this thing?

nm, apparently Steermouse will fix the problem for $1300 + $20

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Mar 5, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apr 7, 2003

Warbird posted:

idgi. Cmd + C/V works just fine.

It's useful for command line scripts, I have a command in my .zshrc to generate a UUID and dump it into the clipboard with pbcopy.