Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
I'm having trouble with f.lux on snow leopard (early '11 MBP). Previewing works, and after previewing the temperature will usually stay adjusted temporarily, but after a few minutes (recently its been more like seconds) it goes back to default temp. Any ideas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
I have an early 2011 MBP still running Snow Leopard, and I'm debating whether or not to upgrade to Lion. I use the laptop mainly for DJing, minor on-the-go music production tasks (for when I don't have access to my desktop), and programming (web dev with rails, browser extensions, phone apps). Looking at the list of changes, it seems like most of them are related to either the Apple apps or integration with other Apple products, both of which don't really affect me (I use Google for email/calendar/contacts, Android for phone and e-reader/tablet, and Windows for my desktop and HTPC/media server).

The Preview and Terminal upgrades look nice, and it seems like usability may have been improved a bit (new gestures, mission control), but I've also read about some folks downgrading back to Snow Leopard after trying out Lion. I think I'm okay in terms of Lion app compatibility (Traktor and Ableton), and I don't have anything that requires Rosetta, but are there any other issues I might run into (e.g. I've heard samba doesn't work as well on Lion)?

Any compelling reasons for or against upgrading?

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
When using multiple monitors, does Lion still blank all other displays when using a full screen app? If so, has Apple addressed this and mentioned if there's a fix in the works? Has it been fixed in the Mountain Lion preview?

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Are there commands I can run to turn the second hard drive in my MBP off and on? I just installed a data doubler with a 7200rpm drive to go along with the factory SSD. I'm currently only using the second drive for music production (sample storage & recordings). I want to turn the 2nd drive off when I'm doing non-music tasks to minimize battery usage, heat and noise. I already reduced the disk idle time to disk sleep from 10 minutes to 5 minutes, but I still hear the drive occasionally when it doesn't need to be on. Since I know exactly when I need the 2nd drive on, I figure hard on/off commands will be a better solution.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

BobHoward posted:

Try opening Disk Utility and unmounting it. You can maybe even eject it, though I'm not sure offhand whether you'd have to reboot to get an internal disk mounted again after an eject.
Unmounting the drive did not cause it to spin down, but ejecting it through Finder did. The drive can still be remounted from disk utility after ejecting. Thanks.

Looks like everything can be done from the command line using diskutil commands. Does anyone know how to go about saving the commands as scripts that can be run with 1 click?

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
I'm about to format an external 2TB hard drive using exFAT for compatibility w/ both OSX and Windows. I'm doing the formatting from a Windows 7 machine, and one option that must be set while formatting is "allocation unit size". Apparently the default size on Windows for a 2TB exFAT drive is 128KB, which seems rather large and potentially wasteful compared to the default of 4KB for a drive of that size using NTFS.

I've also read that formatting an exFAT drive with a cluster size higher than 1024 bytes will cause it to not work with OSX. I haven't been able to find other sources for this though, so I'm not sure if this was only a limitation of using exFAT with Snow Leopard, or if this limitation has been removed since 2011.

Is anyone familiar with setting exFAT cluster size for use with OSX? Is the 1024 byte limit still a thing? If not, what is an ideal cluster size for a drive being used to store mostly music (both compressed and lossless), photos (both compressed and lossless) and some videos? Initially I'll be moving ~160K files totaling ~1.1TB, which I think works out to an average of ~7MB if that helps.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

~Coxy posted:

Why not format it in OS X?
Well, the drive is currently inside my PC desktop, and the data I'm transferring onto it is also inside my PC desktop. Formatting on the PC saves me from having to remove the drive, install it in an external enclosure, format it on my MBP, then install it back inside the PC to dump the data on it (since the transfer will be much faster over SATA than USB2). There have also been reports drives formatted exFAT on OSX don't play nice with Windows, but that may have been fixed.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Command + W will close a terminal window (and windows in general).

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Is there a way to show the estimated time left on battery on the battery icon in the menu bar on Mavericks? I see an option to show the percentage remaining next to the icon, but nothing to show the remaining time like you could on previous OS versions.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Arrrrrg. The whole reason I downloaded Mavericks was to fap to higher time remaining on battery numbers than I ever saw on Lion. You'd think with all the emphasis on improved battery life Apple would want to offer more battery stats on the menu bar rather than less. Perhaps constantly recalculating time remaining was draining too much battery..

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Crashplan or Backblaze (and probably others) will give you unlimited cloud backup for $5/month or less.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Is there a way to make the scroll direction 'natural' when using a trackpad and, uh, the other way when using a mouse? There's different systems prefs pages for Mouse and Trackpad, but changing that setting in one seems to change it in the other as well.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Vaporware posted:

Scroll Reverser is how I do it.
This is perfect. Thank you!

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
What about GIMP?

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Tippis posted:

Total Commander :words:
Have you tried running it in Wine (or CrossOver)? Looks like at least some versions run well on OSX.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

duck monster posted:

Tab completion is your friend and it makes bash incredibly efficient, especially if you've set up loads of bash tab completion defaults.

edit: brew install bash-completion

You can also make aliases for frequently used commands, turning long commands into a couple of characters.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

The Milkman posted:

It makes sense with the magic trackpad. And then they even give you false hope with separate settings for mouse and trackpad. But surprise that flag is the same. :I
I use Scroll Reverser to get around that (recommended by someone else in this thread).

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Vinlaen posted:

Does anybody know of any discounts for Parallels 9? Its $79.99 which is a bit more than I was hoping. I think they run black friday deals and such but I'm hoping somebody knows of something sooner :)
If you ever need to buy something from OWC, they sell Parallels at a discount if you purchase any other item. It's $50 with purchase of any item, $40 if you spend more than $65, and sometimes they have additional discounts if you purchase specific types of items. See http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Parallels/PDFM9XL/

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
It doesn't look like there's Linux support for 1Password.

If I primarily use OSX, Android, Ubuntu and Windows, is LastPass the way to go?

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

benisntfunny posted:

How interesting that they release it two days after Yosemite beta stops their app from opening it because they just need to resign it and refuse to "fix" the problem for parallels 8.

I loving hate these guys. Yearly extremely subpar upgrades that they basically force on you. Chances are if there is some bug that screws poo poo up you get them beating around the bush fixing it until they release their next version in which they will tell you they're not fixing it in the one you bought and complained about a year ago and you will need to upgrade.

I think it's time to switch to Fusion.

jink posted:

Most companies do this nowadays to ensure a revenue stream. The company I work for does the same. It seems evil, but users just won't upgrade unless they need to. It's hard to sell stable software that has already innovated; small gains in performance aren't always enough to convince users to upgrade. So while the company has to support the users and develop changes in the codebase they are losing money.
I understand and am OK with yearly upgrade fees, but I think $50 for an upgrade from 9 to 10 is a ridiculous price. OWC sells new copies of Parallels for $50, sometimes less depending on how much you spend on other items in the same order. $50 isn't an upgrade fee, it's a "buy a new copy of our software every year" fee. As someone who bought Parallels for the first time under a year ago, I'd expect to be able to upgrade to the new version for $20-30.

e: well it looks like you can upgrade for only $40 through OWC at least.

Splinter fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Aug 21, 2014

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

TACD posted:

If all I want to do is set my external mouse to have inverted scrolling (so I can have 'natural' scrolling on my trackpad but 'regular' scrolling on my mouse), is this something BTT can do? I gave it a look and got the impression it's mostly for macros, but the options were a bit overwhelming so I didn't search for long.

https://pilotmoon.com/scrollreverser/

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

thegreatcodfish posted:

Oh nice. I'm glad they changed that from minimize.

Get BetterSnapTool. You can customize what all of these window buttons and actions do.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Pivo posted:

so basically "java fucks my machine anyway but this isn't noticeably worse"

CrashPlan is a thing and it works. But why not just do a local backup to a NAS or Time Capsule, and do a remote backup of very important stuff? CrashPlan to me seems like a very annoying and high-effort service. Sure it's "unlimited" but for most people you'll end up paying less per month with S3 or Glacier... and you'll have more control... I mean ultimately cloud storage is cloud storage, why go for the expensive option? Just because it's pretty and easy to use? (Oh crap it's an Apple thread...) OK, pretty and easy to use is important, but other cloud storage is just as good.

Not sure why you think CrashPlan is annoying and high-effort (you even go on to say it's easy to use). Select what you want to backup, choose where you want to backup to, done. It can handle both local backups to a NAS (for free), and cloud backups. It's also cheaper than Amazon if you want to backup more than ~500 GB (and becomes much, much cheaper than Amazon if you have much more than that). Price was the big selling point for me. I think most people here view it as the cheap option, rather than the expensive one. It's nice not having to micro manage what I'm backing up to keep my costs down. Plus I can now backup things that while technically would be replaceable even if I lost all my local backups, would be very time consuming to replace.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
What's an easy way to image my OS drive to an external for backup purposes (laptop needs to be serviced)? Prefer a built-in solution (still on Mavericks if that matters), but open to 3rd party apps if it'll be easier that way.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Dangerllama posted:

As much as I love Chrome, its battery usage is killing me; I see 1-2 hours less life on my '13 MBA. Has anyone got an extension they like for putting favicons in Safari tabs? Any other highly recommended extensions?

The one thing I need is CMD+number tab switching: https://github.com/rs/SafariTabSwitching. Sounds like this may be built into Safari now on El Capitan, but at least on Mavericks this extension is still required.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

enojy posted:

It's in Safari now, but maybe just Safari 9.0? Dunno if it's new to El Capitan or 9.0.

DigitalRaven posted:

It's new to 9.0, as far as I can tell.

I'm on 9.0.3 on Mavericks and the this command+# preference still doesn't show up. Maybe it was only added on Yosemite and ElCap? I thought I gave it a try on 9 w/o the 3rd party solution and it still wasn't working, but maybe I'm misremembering.

e: also sounds like like with the Apple implementation, command+9 goes to the 9th tab rather than the last tab unfortunately (I may have a bit of a tab problem).

Splinter fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jan 23, 2016

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
FWIW, when I first got a Mac I downloaded trials of Moom, SizeUp, Flexiglass and BetterSnapTool. As someone that prefers resizing via keyboard shortcuts due to speed, I concluded BST was easily the best choice, especially at 1/5 the price of the others. The flexibility of Moom's grid resize widget was cool, but I found I rarely needed to resize to something that wasn't more easily accessible via keyboard shortcut (e.g. 50%, 33%, corners, max, other monitor). Here are the he pros/cons/thoughts I documented while evaluating these programs (please make fun of me for having this).

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Are there any compelling reasons to not upgrade from Mavericks to El Cap on an early 2011 15" MBP (2 GHz sandy bridge i7, 16GB RAM, SSD, 6490M)? I'm slow to upgrade OS versions because I do music production, but at this point all my hardware and software has solid El Cap support. I've heard the disk util GUI was gimped, but are there any other significant downsides? Should I expected increased or decreased performance after upgrading (sounds like Metal doesn't support 2011 MBPs)?

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
I too am happy with Pixelmator, but I haven't tried the others. It occasionally goes on sale as well. I picked it up for $15.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
e: wrong thread

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Are there any mac music players that can do some or all of these things that foobar2000 does:
  • Support for a wide variety of formats. Bonus: user's can supply decoders for formats that aren't supported out of the box
  • Able to batch rename files using tag data w/ user defined patterns
  • Decent tagging capabilities (e.g. define custom fields, specify/change the id3 version)
  • Mass tagging capabilities (e.g. populate tags via filename based on user defined pattern, edit tags for multiple files at the same time). Bonus: populate tags from an online DB
  • Convert formats using user defined encoder/settings (e.g. convert FLAC to mp3 using LAME, FLAC to WAV/AIF etc)
Don't really care so much about the interface customization features.

Also, if there isn't something like this doesn't exist, are there 2 apps that can accomplish everything (e.g. a music player with support for a wide variety of formats and a tag/rename program that can handle everything else)?

e: missed 1 feature

Splinter fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Feb 16, 2017

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Those both look good. I'll give 'em a try. Thanks.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
tl;dr: Pocket Casts is the best

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
I'd also recommend something like BetterSnapTool for window management. It lets you setup hotkeys to move/resize windows (e.g. split screen, corners, thirds, maximize, next monitor), snap to side/corners, and custom actions for right/middle clicking the red/yellow/green window dots and double clicking the titlebar.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
I'm still running Mavericks on my early 2011 15" MBP (2GHz sandy bridge i7). I need to update to at least El Capitan to support new versions of some software I use. Is there any advantage performance wise to only upgrading to El Capitan rather than all the way to High Sierra? AFAIK the GPU doesn't support Metal.

e: my choice actually might be limited to El Capitan (10.11) or Sierra (10.12) as I don't think there are High Sierra drivers for my audio interface yet.

Splinter fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Jan 11, 2018

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
I'm gonna go with 10.11 since it doesn't look like everything I use has 10.13 support yet. Follow up question though, how do I download an El Capitan installer? The app store won't give it to me since my computer supports a newer OS.

e: would prefer to do an upgrade rather than a clean install.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Yeah but that doesn't work in my case because my computer supports High Sierra. Gives me a "this version cannot be installed on your computer" when trying to "Get" it.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Just picked up a late 2013 15" rMBP with El Capitan on it and I'm trying to decide if it's worth while to upgrade to High Sierra. I have at least one app that would require a paid upgrade to get a newer version that supports High Sierra, so I'd need some compelling reasons to upgrade the OS. As someone that doesn't really use Apple ecosystem apps/features, is the main difference between 10.11 and 10.13 just APFS? I've read APFS improves performance for SSDs, but is the improvement really noticeable? The PCIe flash storage was already blazing fast on HFS+.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Bob Morales posted:

Why wouldn’t you go to Mojave?

I have some apps that aren't fully compatible with Mojave just yet.

BobHoward posted:

Security is always a concern. Apple does push out security patches for older OS releases, but it’s usually limited to the current major release minus 2. Since we’re now on 10.14, and El Cap is 10.11, it’s probably off the security fix train.

That's a good point.

I guess I'll stick with this fresh install of El Capitan until everything I have is Mojave ready (shouldn't be long), then go straight to Mojave. In the meantime I'll have time to try out alternatives to the app that doesn't work in High Sierra, as not wanting to pay for an upgrade that the developer has already dropped support for just to get 10.13 support is the main reason I'm resistant to going to 10.13+ immediately (eat poo poo Adobe).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
I have a 3TB external drive that I want to use as both a Time Machine backup for my 1TB system drive, and as additional storage. Would it be best to give TM its own partition, or is it fine to just use one partition with and set the TM max size via the command line? Also wondering how much space I should give TM for backing up a 1TB drive? I don't care much about having a deep version history for everything, so I was thinking I'd only give it 1.25 TB.