Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DigitalChaos
Aug 18, 2003
So I was hoping this "app suspend" thing would be something I could manually control. It seems to be only when OSX decides to close the app behind the scenes or when doing a reboot. Am I missing something? Is there a way to manually close an app and have it resume when you open it again?

I was hoping I could just command+q (or something) and the app would suspend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DigitalChaos
Aug 18, 2003

Terpfen posted:

That's exactly what happens. Try it with Safari. Load up 3 or 4 tabs, Cmd+Q, then reopen Safari. Voila. Resumed.
Well, with Safari you reopen the app and you can see it reloading all the pages from the net. That isn't something you would see from an app that has been frozen to disk. I am pretty sure Safari has always had this behavior. I know Firefox and Chrome certainly have the option to reload your last session. That is very different from the description of app suspend though.

DigitalChaos
Aug 18, 2003

japtor posted:

Try making a new Text Edit doc and sticking junk in it, quit and start it again. It should open back up with everything there.
every time i open it:

Figures...
That happened after installing Lion fresh and then using migration tool to copy over my snow leopard install from another disk.

I will just revisit this after i get all the weird crap on my system worked out

DigitalChaos
Aug 18, 2003
After installing Lion and using the migration util to pull from my Snow Leopard install... well it went smoothly except for a few crashing apps.

TextEdit and Preview (probably more) crash immediately after trying to launch them. The console shows a "Job appears to have crashed: Illegal instruction: 4" when it happens. Any suggestions? I repaired the permission on the volume (there were quite a few problems) but that didn't fix it.

DigitalChaos
Aug 18, 2003

You Am I posted:

For those who don't like the new tab behaviour in Safari 5.1, here is an add-on that will help fix most of the issues (except for middle mouse click for new tab, still does the new behaviour for that):

http://canisbos.com/linkthing
When you did a migrate, did you only migrate the user accounts, or did you do the applications as well? Cos if you migrated the applications, then that's where your issues are.

i migrated everything, that was the default option plus I wanted most of my apps.

TextEdit and Preview come with OSX. Was apple seriously unable to handle a migration between 10.6 and 10.7 with their own apps and their default migration options???

DigitalChaos
Aug 18, 2003

DigitalChaos posted:

After installing Lion and using the migration util to pull from my Snow Leopard install... well it went smoothly except for a few crashing apps.

TextEdit and Preview (probably more) crash immediately after trying to launch them. The console shows a "Job appears to have crashed: Illegal instruction: 4" when it happens. Any suggestions? I repaired the permission on the volume (there were quite a few problems) but that didn't fix it.

Just figured out what was going on here if anyone has the same issue.

The Documents folder is a simlink on my machine (i created it). For some reason these apps hate it. I had to rename/delete the simlink, launch the app, delete the newly created Documents folder that was created, then rename/restore the simlink back the way it was. Repeat this for each problematic app or just start each of them up while you have the nonsimlink folder.

After the first startup without a simlink folder they work just fine going forward (with or without a simlinked Documents folder).

no idea why but hey... its fixed!

DigitalChaos
Aug 18, 2003
Some of my AppleScripts have become broken after upgrading to Lion. Basically, a "do shell script "rm stuff"" operation no longer has the permission to do so. How do I get around this? I assume there is some way to escalate the permission asses that my script has in Lion now? This is just basic file deletion stuff.

DigitalChaos
Aug 18, 2003

Mikey-San posted:

The Time Machine preferences file is root:wheel 644. You cannot remove it without administrator privileges. This is not new in Lion; the Time Machine preferences file was locked down in Snow Leopard.

What are you really trying to do by deleting this file? What's the higher-level goal? Deleting the Time Machine preferences from underneath the system is probably the wrong way to do whatever it is you really want to accomplish.

It's just a quick and dirty way to swap in/out multiple time machine configs automatically (based on if a specific external drive is plugged in, etc). It lets me use more than one TM backup location without having to manually swap.

I've tried adding "with administrator privileges" at the end of the specific lines but then I get an authentication prompt every time the script runs. I really wish there was a way to grant the privileges needed without requiring my intervention.

Also, the perms on these files don't seem to matter. I set them all to root:wheel 666 and still get the Permission Denied error. The blocking is happening above the file system permissions.

DigitalChaos
Aug 18, 2003

Mikey-San posted:

If your goal is to have multiple destinations and switch them with a script, your script should use tmutil to change the destination instead. This is the officially supported mechanism to change the backup destination in an automated fashion.

/Library/Preferences is also locked down. It's root:wheel 755. You're trying to do this the wrong way. Use tmutil.

thanks!
ill check into that and finally get my backups running again

DigitalChaos
Aug 18, 2003

Mikey-San posted:

If your goal is to have multiple destinations and switch them with a script, your script should use tmutil to change the destination instead. This is the officially supported mechanism to change the backup destination in an automated fashion.

/Library/Preferences is also locked down. It's root:wheel 755. You're trying to do this the wrong way. Use tmutil.
Well, even tmutil brings me right back to square one of needing root privs:

code:
     setdestination [-p] arg
             Configure a local HFS+ volume or AFP share as the backup destina-
             tion. Requires root privileges.
So, it doesn't matter how I go about this. Changing my TM destination requires root privs and I still don't know of a way to do that in a way that works and doesn't require constant user interaction (entering a password, etc)

DigitalChaos
Aug 18, 2003

Mikey-San posted:

Nothing changes from a privilege standpoint. Like I said, the Time Machine preferences are locked down. This is a system security feature.

If you're going to use AppleScript, you'll need to use "with administrator privileges" to execute the shell command. Unless your script is long-lived, you won't be prompted more than once:

via: http://developer.apple.com/library/mac/#technotes/tn2065

You can embed the authentication credentials in the "do shell script" command, but I don't recommend doing that. Unprivileged attackers will be able to read that data unless you make it so only root can read the script, at which point you won't be able to read the file to run it.

yea, the 5 min thing is the issue. That means I am going to get prompted every time I plug in my TM disk and unplug it (several times per day). I could probably look into using the keyring or something to securely cache the credentials. How do all the various apps that need high level access only need you to authenticate the first time around? They continue to do their thing for days/weeks/months after that first auth.

blah.. this is getting stupid complicated. It sucks because this simple little script was working just fine a year ago.

DigitalChaos
Aug 18, 2003
Is there an easy way to have a mac go through the "first time you boot after opening the package" without actually having to reinstall?

I want to send a mac mini to my parents. I have Lion installed. I want to get a few more things added to it though like iLife. I would to somehow log in, do the work, then delete my profile and have it boot fresh with all the setup prompts when my parents power it on.

ideas?

DigitalChaos
Aug 18, 2003

pipebomb posted:

Do you guys have any recommendations for a task/project manager with an iOS companion app? I have a Things (http://itunes.apple.com/app/things/id407951449?mt=12) for Mac license, but don't want to shell out $40 more for the iOS apps.

Nested projects with tasks, alerts, etc. would be nice.

OmniFocus is extremely awesome. It sucks that their app is $80, the iphone version is $20, and the iPad version is $40. They have the best app out there and they abuse the hell out of that. I made my work pay for the $140 in licensing though.

check out 2do: http://www.2doapp.com/en/2Do/features.html

DigitalChaos fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Sep 19, 2011

DigitalChaos
Aug 18, 2003

wolffenstein posted:

Take a look at this Mac OS X Hint. If you aren't on Leopard, be sure to read the comments to see if the directions are different for other versions of OS X.

thanks man! this is exactly what I want

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DigitalChaos
Aug 18, 2003
Scripting question! (is there a better place to ask?)

"Do Something When" is a great app for executing anything after a drive has been plugged in and/or mounted. However, it sucks having to rely on it. Outside of polling the syslog every 10 seconds to see if a drive has been mounted... is there a better way to do this entirely within a script? Shell script, apple script, ruby, python... i dont care! I just want some way of handling this without a 3rd party app. Script & apple native tools only.

This script will be daemonized vi launchctl so it will be always alive. I just want the most lightweight way to detect a drive mounting event. Does OSX have a built in tool or other method for this maybe?