Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!
Updating to OSX Lion doesn't touch your Boot Camp drive. It will still work. Don't even think about it.

Asnorban posted:

How do I do something similar to Spaces now that that is gone? I used to have one space for all my work related programs, one for tweetdeck / other miscellany, and one for music related programs. As it stands now it is just an unorganized clusterfuck of things I don't need constantly visible (like Tweetdeck).

That was probably a very dumb question.

I think it's as easy as opening the program, dragging it to a new or previously created desktop "space." After you close it, it should open on that space next time.

Pretty sure those desktop's don't go away until you delete them, even if they're empty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

El Jackalope posted:

Holy poo poo Mission Control owns owns owns.

On the other hand, I really can't see using launchpad at all; I've been too used to Quicksilver (and now Alfred) for too many years. Hell, last week I actually opened my App folder for the first time in a few years and noticed there was poo poo in there that I hadn't used since 2007 :v:

Launch Pad is pretty bad rear end when you're balls deep in a full-screen app and want to load another program quickly. Three-finger swipe left or right for the win.

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

passionate dongs posted:

Two macs = buying two copies of Lion with a single Apple ID, correct?

No. you can't buy Lion, or anything else in the Mac AppStore, twice. You can buy once and re-download as many times as you like.

Your purchase of Lion from the AppStore allows you to install it on 5 separate machines as many times as you'd like.

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

rear end in a top hat who breaks tables on my browser like an rear end in a top hat who doesn't give a gently caress about doing that posted:

Why is my folder hidden? When exit this and open this folder its gone.

Could it be hidden?

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Why isn't Finder fullscreen?

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

KingEup posted:

Why are the half dozen PDF files I have open stacked on-top of each other? How do I make them unstack?

Because that's how poo poo works in Mission Control. What you want is All Window Expose.

shodanjr_gr posted:

So I tried Parallels on my sparkly new MBP in order to virtualize my bootcamp partition. Turns out it installs a whole bunch of stuff and takes over file associations for some things on both the macos and windows sides. Is it possible to avoid this aspect of parallels? Particularly the screwing up of associations bit is extremely annoying....

From my experience, it installs some tools in Windows to allow the reading/writing between the different OS'. I haven't noticed it installing or taking over a bunch of file associations on OSX, however.

I have a suspicion that you've enabled Coherence which will allow Windows programs to show up in OSX in various places, i.e. spotlight search results. It displays the parallels logo at the bottom of the icons on these. Is my suspicion correct?

Personally, I hate coherence mode and only used it once but immediately disabled it after I noticed that Windows programs were showing up in my spotlight results.

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

KingEup posted:

I can't find that option.

:wtc: I can't either! I could have SWORN TO JESUS it was there. I know I've done it since installed Lion..

edit: Regrettably, It seems I have mis-remembered and that feature appears to have been stripped from OSX in favor of Mission Control, which is Steve Jobs loving us again.

edit2: At any rate, dude, you will still be able to use Application Windows expose to see the pdfs.

decypher fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Jul 23, 2011

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

shodanjr_gr posted:

e: Also, why the hell don't 3 finger gestures for forward/backward work in Finder?
And why isn't Finder full screen!

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

TheState posted:

In Lion using Safari, Adium, the Twitter app and Spotify, the Web Process process was taking over 1.25 GB of RAM. I wasn't doing anything extravagant, two tabs in Safari. Is this happening to anyone else?

Seriously? Can we put questions like this to bed, forever. It is pointless.

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Why is Safari not letting me close it?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

frumpsnake posted:

Has anyone seen a problem with Time Machine in Lion where it continually backs up a shitload of data despite no actual changes taking place? I don't recall it ever happening on Snow Leopard.

Absolutely I have. It's strange. I am pretty religious if not obsessive about backing up time machine multiple times a day. Today I was very surprised to see that time machine had 17 GB worth of data to back up. I did download all the previously bought but then lost tv shows from iTunes yesterday, but ran time machine after the fact (which transferred about 10gb worth of data) right before I went to bed and shut off the computer. Strange.

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Abel Wingnut posted:

I have an external HD via Firewire--no blank DVD or flash drives. Can I cleanly reinstall Lion? If so, how?

I am ignorant to the reason why the FW HD maters. You hold down option upon boot and select the Lion Recovery disk. I imagine from there you open Disk Utility and delete your old OSX partition, create a new one and continue on with installation.

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Abel Wingnut posted:

I assumed I'd have to put the install file on the external HD in order to delete the current partition on my boot drive. But instead what I can do is create a new partition on the boot drive, install Lion on the new partition, and then delete the current partition from the new partition?

If I understand you correctly that is precisely why Apple put in the Lion Recovery partition, so you wouldn't have to worry about keeping an install file handy.

Think of the recovery disk as a small instance of osx running independent of your actual osx install. I haven't done it personally but you should have access to disk utility[in Utilities menu] from the recovery partition enabling you to delete the current lion install and create a fresh partition to freshly install lion. That would be a completely fresh install.

There is the option to Reinstall OSX but I'm not sure exactly what that does. I imagine its not a clean re-install, as in I bet your data is kept with this option. Who knows.

http://www.tipsglobe.com/2011/07/mac-lion-os-recovery.html

Found this website though that might have more info.

edit: It turns out I'm probably wrong and you won't be able to re-partition the drive cause you're booted from it. That website above should answer all your questions.

edit2: I was kinda right, sorta.

quote:

If you decide to erase your Mac’s startup drive and reinstall Lion (after making sure you’ve backed up, of course), you’d start here, erase the drive, quit Disk Utility, and then use the Reinstall Mac OS X option (above) to install a new copy of Lion. You can get back to the Mac OS X Utilities window at any time by quitting Disk Utility.

decypher fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Aug 5, 2011

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Corbet posted:

I'm looking to format an External Hard drive as NTFS. I have Paragon NTFS and I noticed in Disk Utility that it gives me two NFTS formatting options - NTFS Compressed and NTFS.

Is there any reason why I'd want to format my drive as compressed over uncompressed?

Are you pressed for space on the disk?

You will be taking a performance hit when accessing files larger than 30MB in size.

Just pretend like you never saw the compressed option.

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Petey posted:

I did not pull the library. And I did it precisely because I only wanted to pull a few things - Documents, Music, etc - and NOT transfer over any old cruft I didn't actively want anymore.

Trying the reset password recovery app to see if that resets my permissions as advertised.

You could have done this with Time Machine. You could have entered time machine and selected the folders you wanted to restore, and time machine would have done it for you. Don't need to restore the whole disk or user folder, ya know?

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Why not? In theory it should work just fine. Unless he pulled the Library too. That can probably cause problems.

I think it might cause problems because its using Time Machines proprietary, special way of archiving the data. Time Machine doesn't do a straight copy of the data, doesn't it make an image of the changed stuff and transfer that over? It's not like a file transfer with Finder in that regard. Sure the backup data is accessible and looks nice in Finder, but to restore it I wouldn't just drag poo poo from the backup location onto where I need it. I would use Time Machine cause it was created in Time Machine. My way of thinking is probably flat out wrong here but its worth a thought.

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

AlphaDog posted:

Hey, cool. Thanks! I take it that you can still run in closed clamshell mode with no keyboard/mouse attached though? We're using that logitech app that turns your iphone into a wireless mouse/keyboard.
Yes, you can run in clamshell mode. Close the lid and let the computer sleep, then plug in your adapter. Done
Edit: this is how it works on my MBP, anyway

decypher fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Aug 12, 2011

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Caedar posted:

I have been getting a lot of audio glitches on my Macbook 2007. I'll be listening to something or watching a video on Youtube (all audio does this), and all of the sudden the audio will start to skip, sometimes repeating over itself. My system processes cpu usage will spike to 100%. Any ideas?
Are you running the latest software? (web browser and flash)

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

coldplay chiptunes posted:

Wait you're running a Lion VM in Lion?

Yo dawg, I put a VM in your VM, so you can VM while you VM.

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

vlack posted:

I removed /Library/iTunes/iTunes Plugins/Quartz Composer Visualizer.bundle, and iTunes hasn't exhibited any problems since. It's also been running faster.

I'm not sure where this came from, but I do have a fairly old install of OS X that I upgraded to Lion, so it's probably cruft from the days of 10.5 or something.

I'm using Lion , upgraded from Snow Leopard, and for what it's worth I am having the exact same error show up in my console. I have not, however, had the problem you're experiencing with adding songs to iTunes.

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

I went to create a screenshot for the guy asking about the Bootcamp drive (shows up on the right panel in Finder at the bottom by default in Lion) but remembered I haven't been able to create a screenshot for the past two months.

I hear the snapshot sound but they don't appear on my Desktop anymore. I tried repairing permissions cause I'm dumb and don't know what else to do. I tried setting a different location with Secrets.pref but it didn't seem to do anything(seems to be associated with the Grab.app anyway)

How do I go about fixing this?

edit: Im talking about taking screenshots with Ctrl-Cmd-Shift-4

decypher fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Sep 22, 2011

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

japtor posted:

I was about to ask if you've ever changed location then saw the Secrets.pref thing :downs:. Have you searched for them (messing with the different search options like system files and invisibility) to see if they're getting created at all in some mystery location?

edit: cmd-ctrl-shift-4 doesn't create a file, it goes to the clipboard :downs:. The ctrl modifier changes it to clipboard, if you just do cmd-shift-4 it should output a file.

Oh japtor, is there anything you don't know? Thanks man. I was seriously mystified for months about this crap.

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

My favorite "show off move" is calling someone over to show them Windows 7 running my Mac. I show them how fast Win7 runs by opening MS WWT or something, talking about how Apple has specific drivers for Windows, blah, blah, blah.

Then I go in for the kill by three finger swiping left to reveal I was running Windows 7 in a virtual machine and that I'm really running OSX with iPhoto, iMovie, Safari, Mail.app and whatever else I have open at the time. :aaaaa:

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

duck monster posted:

Has the new update added an option yet to permanantly stop the mac from re-oppening apps when its rebooted.

The only times I have to reboot are when I get a lock up or whatever, which usually means a hard reboot.

The problem is, when it reboots , it never restores my network shares and thus certain apps just end up trashing their project files because the files are now missing.

Its a total anti-feature as far as I'm concerned.

Would it be possible to maybe script something to delete its memory of what apps where opened on bootup?
There is a fix-admittedly I know little about-that involves changing the permissions to the save state files osx uses to restore applications. I'd google that!

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

ndrake posted:

Been meaning to ask forever... is there a new "unlock" sound in Lion that is played when you wake a computer from sleep? It sounds a bit like the 1password "unlock" sound so I assumed it was that incorrectly opening every time I woke the computer, but comparing the two sounds I think the unlock/wake up sound is a little different. Actually kind of sounds like the ridiculous annoying slide to unlock sound from iOS, however I disable that on my iphone/ipad so I don't know it that well.

Long winded way to ask if this sound on wake is expected behavior, and if so how do I get rid of it? If not, anyone else heard it so we can figure out what's doing it?
lol. I have noticed the exact same behavior and I'm at a loss as well. I have 1password installed too, maybe that's it ?

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

I have been given a project at work to go through each entry of our dilapidated joke of a database and print each entry. The database entries are all accessable through a url ending in Detail.php?id=46, id 46-140. Each entry must be scaled down to fit on one sheet for print.

So far I’ve been painstakingly going through each entry one by one, page previewing, scaling down the print job, then printing. It’s a pain in the buttox.

I really want to use automator to do this for me. Is there a possibility of automator doing this for me? Additionally, I am at work using Windows but I’d VNC into my MBP to do it. So, instead of printing I guess I’d just need each page scaled down or saved into an image or PDF file so I can transfer them here to work and print.

edit: At this point, I'm desperate for any other solution than the one I'm currently doing.
edit2: This appears to be the type of thing ya just gotta do yourself. Oh well! :)

decypher fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Nov 9, 2011

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

unruly posted:

You might want to look into Fake.app.

Man, that's really awesome. I am done with the task but I am going to try and set it up to see if it would have worked for me.

edit: Sure enough it worked really well. Was able to set it up to go to each link on the page, automatically save a screen shot, then used folder action to convert screen shot to a small size and then I print. Computers are awesome.

decypher fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Nov 9, 2011

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

I have a Logitech MX900 and I want the mouse to behave a little more Windows like. I downloaded the Logitech Control Center V. 3.5.1-23, but it doesn't recognize my ancient mouse so I can't apply the Logitech driver magic.

What's the best way to get the mouse acceleration to feel like Windows?

edit: Could we possibly put the answer to this question in the OP?

edit2: I don't know if it's placebo effect or not but just having that Logitech Control Center installed appears to have changed the feel of the mouse acceleration.

decypher fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Nov 19, 2011

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Today is the first time I've needed Rosetta since installing Lion.

I'm trying to crop a bunch of images with Automator so that just the bottom couple inches are left, but having trouble with the Crop workflow. It's cropping all the wrong areas.

Found the Propper Cropper workflow but it's not universal. :(

edit: Crop Image workflow appears to be broken.

edit2: Ah! Discovered Pixelmator has a crop image workflow with the option to select where in the image to crop. Very nice. Job done in seconds.

decypher fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Jan 6, 2012

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Viktor posted:

Only thing to note is that you cannot "suspend" a bootcamp VM. You have to do a full VM startup and shutdown each time you start boot camp in fusion.

Just to point out a difference between Parallels and Fusion: Parallels does support suspending a bootcamp VM. Just be drat sure to load up the VM and shut down Windows properly before you restart your computer to boot into Windows.

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Martytoof posted:

...... I'm almost tempted to ask what happens if you don't :ohdear:

From my one experience with it, Windows did a deep scan of the hard drive or file system table upon start up. Aside from taking some time, there were no real consequences. But, of course, it is probably not a safe practice if data integrity is any priority.

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Xabi posted:

What's this Time Machine business and should I use it?

e: Meaning that I know what it is, but I've never used to back up my computers before. Why should I start now?

If you’ve never backed up your data now is a great time to do it. poo poo happens-hard drives fail, houses catch fire, and computers get stolen. You could risk not backing up and sometimes get away with it, sure. But there’s no way to tell. And if you do need that backup, you’ll be so grateful. USB drives are so inexpensive-cost certainly is no excuse.

Would you be sad if you lost your photos? Would you be sad if you lost your music? Imagine if someone walked into your house and stole your computer. Would you be upset with losing the data on your computer right now? If the answer is no, then maybe you shouldn’t back up. (Still, you should always backup….)

Time Machine is wonderful and it’s easy as hell to see everything on your hard drive at any given backup. If you know losing your data wouldn’t upset you, it’s still a good idea to backup using Time Machine. If you ever have an issue with your computer and have it replaced by Apple, all you would have to do to pick up precisely where you left off (last backup) would be to restore from said backup. It’s seamless.

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

FCKGW posted:

Like, this guy? http://www.google.com/errorpage

That's not a chrome thing, that's you hitting a non-existent page on Google's servers.
I'm pretty sure bro-man was referring to the image chrome displays when Flash crashes. It's a small robot guy that appears over where the content would be displayed. Id you've never seen it , consider yourself blessed.

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

mongoibur posted:

Do any of you use theft tracking software like the prey project, hidden or something else? I work at a school, and sometimes things disappear.

I'm sure you're aware of iCloud's Find My Mac feature which allows you to see its rough location on a map, send it messages, or remotely wipe it.

There's also software which allows you to remotely snap a picture of your web cam and send the picture to your email for evidence.

If you are command line savvy, you could enable SSH, and in coordination with a service like DynDns, get the IP sent to you of the person who stole it when they get online, allowing you to log into your computer and do whatever.

You could also install a keylogger and have it setup to mail you the logs. The thief's email credentials? Yes, I would like that.

I'm sorry I don't have anything more concrete than that but hopefully it helps.

edit: grammar

decypher fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Feb 8, 2012

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

japtor posted:

You've seen this talk haven't you: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4oB28ksiIo

I can't imagine what the dude thought when the PowerMac told him, "I'm gonna get you mother fucker!"

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

johnnyXcrane posted:

I want to cut scenes from Youtube videos and create a compilation video.
What is the easiest way to do that, iMovie? But how do i download the Youtube video and how do i import it?

You can use Safari's Activity Monitor to download the videos(Window > Activity Monitor off the top of my head). Find the youtube page in Activity Monitor and highlight and Cmd-C the video file. Then click your downloads button and click somewhere on the list and hit Cmd-V. It'll start downloading the youtube video. If you don't see a download start, you're pasting into Safari and not the Downloads list.

If it's 480p or lower I think it saves as an .flv file which would need to be converted before throwing it at iMovie. 720, 1080 should be .mp4 files. Handbrake will easily convert the flv files to an iMovie friendly format.

edit: If you're having trouble determining which file is the video file, it is always going to be the largest file and if you load activity monitor while the youtube page is still downloading, you will be able to see the download progress of the video.

decypher fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Feb 9, 2012

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

jwoven posted:

For some reason, I can't seem to connect to my Windows file server. I've tried the cmd+k smb://the ip, in addition to smb://hostname, but it isn't connecting in either case. I can see them there when I go to the Networks, but still can't connect there either.

10.7.3 on a Mini

Is it prompting for a password? If not, delete whatever information is saved in your Keychain. You also should try cifs://localip

If it's still not working, chances are its something on the Windows end.

edit: I've never had luck connecting with Windows accounts that don't have passwords, so make sure you set one.

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

jwoven posted:

It isn't prompting for a password, and the windows server does have a password. I can connect to it just fine from my other (windows) computers and my mbp.
when I use either "connect to server" or the thing in Finder

Can you ping it successfully?

You did check the login keychains in keychain access for an item saved with the network name of said windows computer? If you see anything in there, you need to delete it.

You didn't mention it but i'll assume you tried using cifs://192.189.0.192.

And a completely random, possibly irrelevant question: do you happen to have file sharing enabled or disabled in system preferences?

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Is there any way to get my MacBook Air to prefer the 5 GHz spectrum for my AEBS? My network is the dual-band "fishpond" in the shots below:

As you can see, 5 GHz is a lot less crowded. My assumption is that because the 2.4 GHz band is showing higher signal strength that OS X is preferring that, but I'd like the higher data rates and less interference associated with 5 GHz.

:argh:

Should I just cave and give the 5 GHz network a different name?

Just add 5 Ghz to the end of the 5 Ghz network.

Also, does moving the 5 Ghz network to the top of your preferred network list not work?

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Splinter posted:

When using multiple monitors, does Lion still blank all other displays when using a full screen app? If so, has Apple addressed this and mentioned if there's a fix in the works? Has it been fixed in the Mountain Lion preview?

Yes, Lion still does that. I've used RightZoom with moderate success to full screen programs without using Lion's new stupid way.

Mountain Lion Preview 1 behaves exactly like Lion in this respect, unfortunately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

mongoibur posted:

This poo poo suddenly pops up every ten seconds in itunes:

I've never listened to radio, and searching for it give me lots of hits, but no solution. I have no plugins for itunes installed. Help me kill it!

Do you have Home Sharing On? Try turning it off, then back on again.

People are disabling the Radio in parental controls until the issue is fixed.