Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

My PIN is 4826
Aug 30, 2003

What will I need to do to make things work smoothly with my home folder if I get a second hard drive? I'm guessing it must be alias or some drive mapping...

Ideally I'd like my system to go on an SSD (in the boot slot) and downloads, music and anything else that's big but doesn't need the performance of the SSD goes on a platter drive in an optibay...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My PIN is 4826
Aug 30, 2003

Can I manually turn a off second internal hard drive in my optibay slot? Apparently the sudden motion sensor only works if the drive is in the main slot where I want to put my SSD, but I still want an option to protect the platter drive when I pick it up.

My PIN is 4826
Aug 30, 2003

foodfight posted:

Not sure if this is the best place to ask this, but I'm wanting to know the best method to go about doing a clean install of my OS on my Macbook. I've got OS X Lion with time machine backups. Should I create an install dvd/usb, do a fresh install deleting everything and then restore from Time Machine? Seems like there are 3-4 ways of doing this.

Definitely USB stick if Lion lets you do one (not adopted yet so I don't know)

I prefer making a time machine backup but not using the built in restore function, so I just go into the folder structure and get the files I want when I need them. I feel it's a good way to keep clutter down and having the set of apps/settings/documents you really need grow back onto your computer in a natural way.

My PIN is 4826
Aug 30, 2003

is there anything I can use in Lion to bind a gesture to a keystroke? I was so used to three finger swiping left to go back in finder and browsers in Snow Leopard, so I'd like to bind it to backspace...

I know there was multiclutch, but that stopped working after Snow Leopard :(

My PIN is 4826
Aug 30, 2003

This really is the most insignificant problem, but is it possible to get the dictionary hits appearing higher in the list when I type a word into spotlight? The obvious place to look would be under 'search results' in spotlight preferences, but the dictionary isn't even in that list.

My PIN is 4826
Aug 30, 2003

Ziir posted:

Anyway, I really like the simpleness of the default folder icons in the home folder (you know, the default Movies/Music/Pictures/etc) icons). Are there any more out there, fan created even, that look identical in style?

There probably are, but why not make them yourself?: http://www.iconicosx.com/

My PIN is 4826
Aug 30, 2003

unruly posted:

I can't for the life of me get this application to work worth poo poo. I've dragged in SVG files converted to PNGs with white backgrounds, transparent backgrounds, inverted, etc. Every time it either comes out grainy or with a big matte that causes a big square to appear around the icon.

I hope he fixes this, it's really frustrating to use (and slow)

I didn't have much luck with it when I used it a while ago, but I assumed it was because I'm poo poo at image editing :(

My PIN is 4826
Aug 30, 2003

Also, they ran out of cats.

My PIN is 4826
Aug 30, 2003

I was doing that yesterday, figured it had to do with the massive amounts of symlinking going on in the backup folder. It started at like 50,000 (positive) left to delete, then got down to -2,000,000 before it finished...

My PIN is 4826 fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Oct 10, 2011

My PIN is 4826
Aug 30, 2003

Did the option to always confine a certain app to a space disappear in lion? I'd love it if my full screen instance of VMware fusion stayed to the second space instead of covering up my osx workspace every time I launch windows...

My PIN is 4826
Aug 30, 2003

well, I'm still managing to get a pretty good down rate :v:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

My PIN is 4826
Aug 30, 2003

Any idea why my login items will start like 2 minutes after everything else like the dock and other os x stuff has finished starting? It's F.lux, sparrow and Bettertouchtool that are being delayed if it matters.

My PIN is 4826
Aug 30, 2003

Grayham posted:

I'm pretty sure that it's restoring saved application states in that time.

But there are no applications starting other than those three? I'm on an SSD as well, so it should be pretty drat fast if that was the case anyway :confused:

My PIN is 4826
Aug 30, 2003

TACD posted:

Check Console.app, see if anything is taking a lot of time to start up or whatever.

Alright, so this is what happens right before my login items start dropping in. It kind of makes sense being a disk management process because I haven't had it happening before getting the SSD...

code:
15/10/2011 22:19:24.688 diskmanagementd: DM ->T-[DMToolBootPreference recoveryPartitionInfoForVolume:what:dict:]: inHostDiskUDS=0x106785c20=disk0s2=SSD inWhatStr=RecoveryInfoBaseSystemVersion
15/10/2011 22:19:24.742 diskmanagementd: DM ..T-[DMToolBootPreference recoveryPartitionInfoForVolume:what:dict:]: did get booterRecoveryUDS=0x106785ae0=disk0s3=Recovery HD
15/10/2011 22:19:24.798 diskmanagementd: DM ..T-[DMToolBootPreference recoveryPartitionInfoForVolume:what:dict:]: did mount nobrowse; MP=/Volumes/Recovery HD OMS=0x7fce39502610
15/10/2011 22:19:24.798 diskmanagementd: DM ..T-[DMToolBootPreference recoveryPartitionInfoForVolume:what:dict:]: getting dict from file=/Volumes/Recovery HD/com.apple.recovery.boot/SystemVersion.plist
15/10/2011 22:19:24.800 diskmanagementd: DM ..T-[DMToolBootPreference recoveryPartitionInfoForVolume:what:dict:]: got dict (or NULL=will return err): oooInfoDict=0x7fce39503a60
15/10/2011 22:19:24.815 com.apple.backupd-attach: Not starting scheduled Time Machine backup - computer is on battery power.
15/10/2011 22:19:24.845 fseventsd: Logging disabled completely for device:1: /Volumes/Recovery HD
15/10/2011 22:19:24.914 diskmanagementd: DM ..T-[DMToolBootPreference recoveryPartitionInfoForVolume:what:dict:]: did if-needed-best-effort unmount
15/10/2011 22:19:24.914 diskmanagementd: DM <-T-[DMToolBootPreference recoveryPartitionInfoForVolume:what:dict:]: retErr=0 outInfoDict={
    ProductBuildVersion = 11C74;
    ProductCopyright = "1983-2011 Apple Inc.";
    ProductName = "Mac OS X";
    ProductUserVisibleVersion = "10.7.2";
    ProductVersion = "10.7.2";
}

My PIN is 4826
Aug 30, 2003

japtor posted:

How did you install the system on the SSD, fresh install or a clone? I know with normal cloning methods the recovery partition doesn't get copied, so if you did that maybe something got confused there.

...or if you have the partition there, maybe something just went wrong with it. Did did start happening with the SSD or just recently with the 10.7.2 updates? Cause there was some recovery partition update thingy I think.

I formatted it via the install DVD, then did a fresh install of Snow Leopard, updated to Lion via the app store. I'm pretty sure there's no recovery partition though unless it's invisible in the disk utility?

My PIN is 4826
Aug 30, 2003

So I have this one app where the "this is an application downloaded from the internet" doesn't go away after the first ask. Just one app :confused:

My PIN is 4826
Aug 30, 2003

I really wish there was some filtering to the Word of the Day screensaver... I use it at work, and it prominently displayed "gypsy" on my screen in 2 inch high letters when I returned to my computer :v:

TACD posted:

Betcha you're running it from inside the .dmg

Would sound likely, but it's in the applications folder

My PIN is 4826
Aug 30, 2003

about a month ago, I reckon. Accounts from before are still good, though.

My PIN is 4826
Aug 30, 2003

I think I just found a really neat hidden feature of the OS X spell checker... I was writing an email and had to type out the name of a variable, say, variableName, but I misspelled it as varibaleName, and it gave me the good old red dotted line.

I changed it back to variableName and now it's no longer recognised as misspelled by OS X :monocle:

Is this really built in or did it hitch a ride with some dev environment I've installed?

Also, as I typed up this post, it highlighted both variable names as misspelled, so maybe it only works in plaintext emails and textedit?

My PIN is 4826
Aug 30, 2003

OS X sea lion

My PIN is 4826
Aug 30, 2003

Sprat Sandwich posted:

Sea Lion would've been a much better name.

I've got a feeling that if people just keep calling it sea lion, it could stick as a kind of nickname.

My PIN is 4826
Aug 30, 2003

Where would I have to go to stop cmd-t bringing up the fonts window in sparrow and some other apps?

This one is a particular annoyance of mine when I try to open a new tab in firefox without it having focus, so I get stuck with an annoying little window that doesn't respond to cmd-w or q but has to be clicked on to disappear :argh:

My PIN is 4826
Aug 30, 2003

More iOS device photo management chat: If you have your iPhone connected via USB, there'll be a File > "import from [name of device]" option in preview.app.

Easiest one to use, IMO.

My PIN is 4826
Aug 30, 2003

Why the hell are widgets still a thing in mavericks? Anything I can find on apple's website just looks horrible as it probably hasn't been updated since snow leopard

I just want something that shows my disk space and doesn't look like poo poo, dammit :mad:

My PIN is 4826
Aug 30, 2003

Are all these crappy peripheral apps that Adobe sprinkles over your applications folder safe to delete? I want to simply trash them and leave just the photoshop and illustrator folders, because those are what I actually told the installer to install, dammit adobe!

Same goes for office 2011 I guess, with microsoft communicator and all that...

My PIN is 4826
Aug 30, 2003

Splinter posted:

Is there a way to show the estimated time left on battery on the battery icon in the menu bar on Mavericks? I see an option to show the percentage remaining next to the icon, but nothing to show the remaining time like you could on previous OS versions.

I miss this too. And the time machine icon isn't animated anymore! I'm getting angstier about this than a facebook user raging over a minor design tweak :argh:

My PIN is 4826 fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Oct 26, 2013

My PIN is 4826
Aug 30, 2003

DarkJC posted:

Sorry I can't offer any suggestions about 3rd party anti-theft software, but also turn on FileVault 2! You won't notice a difference in performance due to the SSD, but your data will be much safer.

If you turn on FileVault 2 and run theft recovery software like undercover, the thief won't be able to incriminate himself on your computer. Basically, the strategy is that you should have a non-passworded (non-admin) account on your computer that the thief can use, and this won't work if you have FileVault 2 enabled.

My PIN is 4826
Aug 30, 2003

Magic Mango posted:

Find My Mac plays nice with FileVault 2 and still enables the thief to login to the honeypot Guest account to connect to the internet and load whatever you set FMM to do.

Yes, I suppose it makes sense that Apple wouldn't have two security solutions blocking each other like that. I'm curious, Is that the standard guest account or a non-admin one that you set up yourself as a honeypot?

Anyway, you'd also have to consider your expected computer literacy of an average thief (i.e. not very high). A honeypot account keeps them from trying too hard to get rid of your data, and since it's out of reach from their account, you'd be safe there. This is probably even more true with the locked-down designs of the MBA and rMBP. Also, find my mac is a bit bare when it comes to theft recovery, offering just a vague geoping, while others can use the webcam, report IP addresses, do keylogging and take screenshots.

edit: the standard guest account deletes files after every use, so making one yourself is a better way to keep the thief from trying to flatten your install

My PIN is 4826 fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Nov 3, 2013

My PIN is 4826
Aug 30, 2003

Anyone else finding that safari becomes unresponsive for about 20 seconds when VMware fusion starts or suspends a virtual machine (ubuntu if that matters)? I did the app nap thing to the .app that somebody said earlier in this thread btw...

My PIN is 4826
Aug 30, 2003

Just solved a minor mystery that's been bugging me since I got the new rMBP. I have two accounts, one for personal stuff and one for work, and I noticed that there's a keyboard lag when I type the password for the work account. I compared nearly everything and couldn't find anything that caused it, but then I realised that I have different screensavers for the two accounts...

How the hell can your brand new computer not handle the built-in arabesque screensaver, Apple? :argh:

My PIN is 4826
Aug 30, 2003

Protip: cmd-alt-d hides the dock if you need the vertical space. I only ever hide it if I'm doing image editing.

My PIN is 4826
Aug 30, 2003

What do rMBP people do for replacing the apple remote now that it doesn't have an IR receiver? I was hoping that the update to the iOS apple remote app for itunes would have something for me, but alas :sigh:

My PIN is 4826
Aug 30, 2003

How can I get ical to understand that when I quick add the text "07:30 13 november 2013 activityName" that it's in the morning and not in the evening? I would write it as 07:30am, but I'm copying and pasting this information from a booking confirmation email, so it would get tedious.

My PIN is 4826
Aug 30, 2003

Probably a stupid noob question, but how come when I set the activity monitor icon to show CPU history, I get four graphs when I'm actually on a dual core CPU?

My PIN is 4826
Aug 30, 2003

Bob Morales posted:

Hyper threading makes two cores per physical core.

hm, appropriate avatar/title you have there :)

My PIN is 4826
Aug 30, 2003

benisntfunny posted:

Anyone know why Better Touch Tool might not be working for me? It's fine on my Mac at home but I picked up this rMBP on vacation and can't get it fully functioning.

I have a 4 finger swipe down to lock the screen that works but everything else (hide and close) won't hit.

photo

Is it because it's set to just the letter H or W and not together with cmd? Try triggering them in a textbox and I bet they will type out the letters.

My PIN is 4826
Aug 30, 2003

Anyone else do a lot of work over two accounts on the same machine? I have a personal account and a work account on my rMBP, and I keep bumping into a lot of annoying bugs when I switch between the two users.

I keep finding a lot of windows are stuck in the upper left corner (only showing the lower fourth, if that makes sense) with no way to move them away from there except to quit and restart the app. Also, whenever I come back to my personal account, airmail is displayed with non-retina graphics :confused:

I thought the window positioning might be a bug related to bettertouchtool, because I do a lot of windows 7-style edge snapping, but the non-retina graphics thing doesn't make any sense!

My PIN is 4826
Aug 30, 2003

snakeater posted:

Worth noting that HyperSwitch will give you window previews for this as well as let you Alt-Tab through windows and not just apps.

But yeah the inbuilt shortcut works fine.

Edit:

From your post above it looks like this will do exactly what you want. Free right now through the beta as well.

This is a great app, thanks for posting it :)

Also, thanks to the goon who posted a link to unclutter

My PIN is 4826
Aug 30, 2003

busfahrer posted:

I haven't been able to make a purchase in the Mac App Store in 24 hours. Free ones work fine, and purchasing paid ones on the iPad App Store works too, same account. Anybody seeing something similar?

I haven't been able to update my iOS apps via the iPhone, have to go through my mac. Related maybe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My PIN is 4826
Aug 30, 2003

What's the easiest way to cut your ties with exchange as an os x user? I'm about to graduate, and my exchange account with the university has my calendar data from 2008 on it. Can I move it to iCloud in some quick and painless way? Being able to look back for when I've been where is kind of an important thing for me :(

Mail isn't that big of a deal, but it'd be nice to have some searchable archive...

edit: i meant os x, not ios! :downs:

My PIN is 4826 fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Dec 16, 2013