Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Zenostein posted:

Though, as a caveat, on an iOS device, gmail updates the IMAP (so far as I can tell) immediately. .mac seems content to wait until you open the mail application on an iOS device, and then it connects, and checks for mail [affirmatively], then updates what is read/unread. Gmail seems to use push more correctly, maybe, in that it updates more or less instantly.

I find it to be the exact opposite on my iOS devices. Gmail when set to IMAP doesn't ever check reliably on it's own (works fine set up as exchange). My mobileme address is just as quick as my work's exchange server in pushing mail to my phone and updating calendars, unread/read mail, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Oneiros posted:

Launchpad is dumb and you shouldn't use it (does anyone here actually use Launchpad?).

I had this opinion until someone actually demoed Lauchpad for me, and when using gestures, it kicks the poo poo out of the dock and finder for launching apps.

E: I was the same way with full screen apps and mission control. I ignored them for almost a year, but once I started using more gestures, I found them indispensable.

empty baggie fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Jul 7, 2012

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

mike- posted:

I use launchpad too but sometimes it feels like I am the only one. It's pretty convenient for launching stuff not on the dock.
Seriously though, five finger pinch to open Launchpad, and tap on the app. Doesn't get much faster than that. I'm getting a magic trackpad for my iMac because navigation is weird on it now. Never ever thought I would prefer a trackpad (it does help that the thing is huge).

withak posted:

You obviously don't have enough stuff in your dock.

It's nice to have a clean dock after years of keeping 20 or 30 apps in it.

VVV Well yeah, that's why I didn't mention anything about Spotlight. Compared to the Dock and Finder, Lauchpad wins hands down.

empty baggie fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Jul 7, 2012

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Alec Eiffel posted:

Today I decided to upgrade to Mountain Lion by first downloading Snow Leopard (I know, I know). Apple's website seems to no longer offer Snow Leopard - is my only option via Amazon or Ebay? (It's priced in the low $100s - was it always this price?)

Until Apple realizes that pulling SL was a stupid decision when it's required to upgrade to anything newer, yes (legally, anyway).

And no, it wasn't always that price, but because of people in your situation who actually have to have it, the price has inflated.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Bob Morales posted:

Didn't they offer everyone a free upgrade to SL that wasn't on it for about a month before ML came out?

Wasn't anyone who's going to upgrade to ML already on SL?

I don't remember the free upgrade thing. Maybe they did.

As far as people already being on SL, from the several frustrated customers I've talked to over the past week, no.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

A person could possibly try an Apple reseller. Our shop has quietly upgraded a few people so they can install ML. We're really not supposed to do this and obviously don't charge, so it's strictly a customer-satisfaction thing. I'm not sure how hard Apple would crack down on shops doing this, but I mean, they've kinda screwed a ton of people by setting this restriction. Surely it's not just to sell more computers as some people I've talked to have suggested.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

eames posted:

I’m genuinely curious if anyone in this thread has Time Machine working reliably over WiFi with a (Mountain) Lion Server Mac as the backup target.

So far Time Machine in ML has trashed my complete backup history from back to September 2010 and now happily saturates my WiFi connection day and night if I let it. My SSD in this machine is 256GB large and time machine wants to back up 385GB of it (and then even more when it closes in on that number)

You should think there is a way to recover all the old backups? Hah, you wish.

Do I need to buy a Time Capsule or is Time Machine just that flipping useless over WiFi?
Thank god for SuperDuper.

I'm using ML server on a 2008 iMac and am using Time Machine over wifi with two MBP's to a FW800 RAID enclosure attached to the iMac. Those MBP's were not backing up before I set up ML server, and I did have to set each one up separately and let them do their initial backup before moving to the next (and it took 2 days each for the initial backup and rendered my home network useless during that time) but now they seem to be working just fine and don't hog my bandwidth. The only problem I ran into was that they wouldn't stay connected if I used the name of the server, only with the IP.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

echobucket posted:

For any devs who are on 10.8.2 already, you should go to http://passsource.com and build a passbook pass and then attempt to download it in Safari.

Thanks for posting this. Passbook on my phone doesn't seem like a waste of space anymore. Now, whether it will actually work when I try to scan one of these "cards" is a different story.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

ConfusedUs posted:

I'm pretty sure 10.6 is required for upgrade. But you could do a fresh install.

10.6 is only required if purchasing through the app store. Technically, if someone were to make a DMG copy, it wouldn't really matter as long as the machine meets the minimum requirements.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Shaocaholica posted:

How does it usually take for these things:

1)Apple stores updating their display machines to a new OS after the OS releases?
2)Apple stores updating their inventory machines to a new OS? Can they even?
3)Apple online store updating their inventory machines to a new OS? Can/do they even?

I work at an apple reseller, and we updated the floor machines the day of release. I would assume the official stores would do the same. As far as our inventory, it's whatever was on them when they were boxed. We can't open them, update them, then sell them as new. Again, I would assume Apple does the same. That's why there's the up-to-date page on Apple's website.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

The thing is I would like to access iTunes from other machines in the house as well. If I'm in the basement doing work on the office iMac there I would like to listen to music stored in my upstairs iTunes library, and if the MBA isn't hooked up to it, then the drive won't be connected to anything. Same with iPhoto; I'd like the photos to be accessible from any Mac in the house.

Could you not put everything on the office iMac/another mac that is always on and use home sharing?

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

BigRed0427 posted:

I need a little help here. I am trying to make a Bootable disk for Mountain Lion. I have the DMG file in Disk utility and a 4.7 DVD disk in but when I try to burn it it tells me the disk is not big enough. Did I miss a step or do I need bigger CDs?

The mountain lion installer requires 8 gigs.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

mango sentinel posted:

So I have an old Macbook Pro 15" with the Intel Core Duo processor. However, I am still running OS 10.4. As time goes on and various websites gets updates, I've watched helplessly as Youtube playback goes to poo poo, and Netflix refuse to play as I can't install the latest Silverlight.

As someone who used to use these sites on this very laptop I'm just getting increasingly infuriated as my ability to access content and software gets shutoff piecemeal. Is there any workaround to this or am I just hosed short of buying at least one OS upgrade?

Call Apple at 800-692-7753, and they'll send you a copy of Snow Leopard.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

choobs posted:

I have a mid-2010 Mac Mini with 4GB of RAM that is still running Snow Leopard. I haven't had a compelling reason to upgrade to Mountain Lion until today when i found out a game I want to play is 10.7+

Is there any reason not to upgrade with this oldish hardware?

I'm running 10.8.2 on 2 2008 iMac's (one at 4g of RAM, one at 6), a 2008 Mac Pro (8g sadly) and a 2009 MacBook Pro (8g), and they're all running great. Your 2010 will breeze through, though I would consider upping the ram (though I would recommend that anyway).

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Coughing-up Tweed posted:

In even better news for you than before, Apple just started selling Snow Leopard again, for $19.99: http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC573/mac-os-x-106-snow-leopard

Not exactly better news, as they were basically giving it away before if you called them.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Nut Bunnies posted:

I think they still charged $20
It seemed to be inconsistent. Some of our customers got it for free, some just were charged shipping, and some had to pay the twenty.

We were authorized by our company to silently update any computers in for service that were still running leopard, and I heard some actual apple stores were doing it as well.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

Holy cow.

I'm in the apple store right now and not only did they replace my charger for free, but they also replaced the rubber mat underneath my late 2009 MacBook which had been warped from playing Civ 5 on my bed (that is, not on a hard surface) except they insisted that it wasn't my fault and that everything was covered by some obscure policy they have on those models that's effective regardless of my warranty, which had long run out.

Best Apple Store experience ever. And I didn't even have AppleCare.

We replace at least one unibody MacBook bottom case a week. Those things delaminate just by looking at them wrong. It's not an obscure policy. Same with the non-unibody MacBooks and the splintering top cases. It's pretty much a no questions asked policy, but Apple doesn't advertise them as recalls.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

It will work in target disk mode. I use a couple of these adapters pretty much every day at work.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

Ok, so I think I am in the market for a new MacBook. I currently have a MacBook 2007 core duo (white) with 120GB storage, 4GB of RAM, snow leopard, and its in pristine condition (lasted me over 5 years now).

Our shop is giving around $150-200 for that machine, and reselling them for $300.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

With gestures, Launchpad is awesome, but without a trackpad it's pretty much useless.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Abel Wingnut posted:

Does anyone else's mouse and keyboard go completely dead? My cursor will disappear and the keys won't affect anything on the screen. Windows still seem to function, though.

Really weird and closing the Air and opening fixes it. Happens at least once a day.

Latest version of OS X with all of the updates.

Mine did this the other day for the first time upon waking from sleep on my 2011 15" MBP. Hasn't happened since but a restart fixed it. I am running the Mavericks preview so I submitted a bug report assuming it had something to do with that.

It actually acted like the top case had been disconnected, with the no keyboard connected message coming up on the screen. Turned on my Magic Mouse hoping it would connect automatically as usual, but no dice. Had to force shut down, which told me the problem wasn't with the top case since the power button worked.

empty baggie fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Jul 1, 2013

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

ConfusedUs posted:

Can you open terminal and kill the dock manually?

Use this command:
killall dock

That might at least let you skip the reboot.

Force-quitting the finder would probably work too.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

It's worth noting that the web based version of iWork is in beta right now.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Polymerized Cum posted:

So it does then?

Nope. That hasn't been an option for a long time.

E: At least I don't think it is. I perform OS installs daily at work, and haven't seen it in years, so if it's there, it isn't obvious.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Kingnothing posted:

Apple only supports poo poo that old because people would whine that their $3k machine would be obsolete.

That machine has already hit vintage status. I'd say sometime in 2014 Apple won't even provide parts for it anymore.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

ShadeofBlue posted:

If you want to stay with 10.6.8 (it's faster and you should get better battery life, at least until Mavericks ships), I know that Apple at least used to give the disks to you for free if you asked for it at an Apple Store or called customer service.

It's $20 now if you call customer service but apparently they ship the discs pretty quickly.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

binarysmurf posted:

I have a 1TB USB3 external drive with three partitions on it, and one of those partitions I use for Time Machine. It works perfectly in all respects for TM.

The only thing is that the TM partition does NOT show up in Migration Assistant . The other bootable partition (my SSD clone) does show up in MA so I know the external drive is OK.

Can you guys think of any reason why the TM would not appear? I'm running 10.8.4.

(The reason I'm asking is that I did a fresh install of 10.8.4 a while back when I decoupled my Fusion drive. I could get everything I needed from my SSD clone via MA. It just struck me as peculiar that MA didn't see the Time Machine partition.)

Edit: I guess I should ask first, when you load migration assistant, are you telling it to restore from a disk, computer, or time machine drive?

I'd say it's done that way by design. The options in migration assistant ask if you want to restore from a machine, disk, or time machine. It would seem that if you don't pick time machine backup, the assistant is just going to leave out any time machine drives.

I have no idea if it works this way, but if the time machine backup was done on a disk with other files (ie not specifically a time machine drive, I would think the assistant might see just as a data folder then (though again I really don't know), but since that partition is dedicated as only a time machine drive, it just ignores it.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

SRQ posted:

Yeah, install OSX 10.9 beta or wait for it to come out, what your asking for is a new feature.

And it's loving glorious, besides a few little bugs in the beta.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Bob Morales posted:

One of the only reasons you need a fan control program is if you have an iMac or something where you've replace the factory HD that has a temp sensor* and you want to slow the fans down so you're not listening to 5,500 rpm of fan

*and you did't replace the temp sensor with Apple's universal one, which for a 2009-2010 is part number 922-9229.

(sorry, I just got done installing one and have the packaging in front of me)

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Two problems with mavericks I noticed in the shop today.

We've had several units in this past week with failing drives that would not complete migration assistant under Mavericks. After a few days of attempts, I decided to downgrade one machine to mountain lion and test migration assistant, and sure enough the data was recognized and transferred without a hitch. Did the same thing to the other problem machines and had the same results. Out of around 10 machines, only one running Mavericks had a successful data migration, and I believe that one was already running Mavericks. The problem machines all successfully ran the assistant when downgraded to 10.8.

I've only noticed this on one machine, so I don't know if it was just a glitch, but my boss performed a clean install of Mavericks, and the install did not create a recovery partition. I'm going to test this on a machine tomorrow morning, but was wondering if anyone else has performed a clean install on a newly formatted or partitioned drive and had noticed if their recovery partition was present?

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Yes, that was the same terminal command that was used for our install drives. As I haven't witnessed it myself but just heard from my boss, I'm not convinced about the recovery partition issue, but for whatever reason I and my co-tech have definitely had issues with Mavericks migration assistant more than once. I think it just has more trouble mounting failing drives than previous versions of OSX.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Mercurius posted:

How were you mounting the drives? I used target Thunderbolt.

In external sleds, both with USB and FireWire 800. It doesn't seem to matter what type of machine, though none have been newer than 2011. Had another one this morning. Could not migrate to 10.9, downgraded to 10.8 and the transfer worked perfectly. This was on a 2008 15' MBP.

We had noticed a long time ago that Snow Leopard doesn't seem to be as picky in terms of finding data on failed drives than lion or mtn lion. Maybe whatever changes Mavericks made to migration assistant has changed this even further.

empty baggie fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Oct 31, 2013

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

mayodreams posted:

Unless you are trying to access your iMac remotely in a more secure manner, VPN is not what you are looking for.

If you are, Mac OS X Server ($20 app now) is an easy way to set up VPN access to your network.

Keep in mind Server does not currently work in Mavericks and from what I can tell has been pulled from the app store.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

mayodreams posted:

I have it running on Mavericks for a DeployStudio imaging setup. I can't speak to VPN, but Netboot/nfs/afp work.

I see now. I was running 2.2.2, and I guess 3 is a paid upgrade?

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Voodoo Cafe posted:

It's probably easier just to disconnect the top case assembly. Ensures that you won't have to mess around with janky third party software, and that way it'll work in alternative OSes and in EFI as well. What model of MBP is it? Almost categorically (on unibodies, at least) it's a thin, wide ribbon cable with a locking lever attached to the logic board, but its location varies from model to model.

But wouldn't that disconnect the power button as well?

I mean, I suppose you could bypass that, but it wouldn't be totally convenient.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Saint Seafoam posted:

Thanks for the reply! The computer I'm using is an early 2011 MBP. I wouldn't be opposed to disconnecting the keyboard if that's what it came down to, but wouldn't that void my warranty? Right now I'm currently covered under applecare with the intent to get my computer fixed by the end of the month, and while I'm almost positive applecare won't cover it I don't know if that would disqualify me from further repairs or what.

If you reconnected it before you had it serviced, nobody would know the difference. (E: Now I'm being a sketchy tech)

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

fleshweasel posted:

Yeah, I'm not sure where I read it or whether it matters, but I decided to put my SSD in the regular HDD bay to boot and put the storage HDD in the optibay space.

I read this somewhere too, but can't remember where. Something about OSX always looking in that bay first for a bootable drive.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Binary Badger posted:

So, remember when I was complaining that I couldn't use disk images to restore using Apple's new Migration Assistant (which is also embodied in those Migration Assistant for Lion / Snow Leopard?)

Turns out there's a reason for that which was staring me right in the face.. the 'new' Migration Assistant literally logs off all current users and quits all apps. A mounted disk image can't survive that.

I can understand that allowing some apps to stay running might affect migration (like Finder) but I never encountered any such issues before when using Migration Assistant.

So now in order to recover some hard drives, I have to either reserve a bunch of drives especially for recovery, or keep using disk images but clone them back to a drive set aside specifically for Migration Assistant to source drives from, adding another time-consuming step in the recovery cycle.

Thanks much for fixing something that didn't need fixing (IMHO) Apple!

I've decided that migration assistant had gotten steadily worse since 10.6. However, if you need to migrate from a disk image, it is possible with a terminal command.
http://www.blueboxmoon.com/wordpress/?p=854

But yeah, it's made recovery from failing hard drives almost impossible in many cases.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

door Door door posted:

Yeah that's the big fear. Luckily it's still covered so I guess I'll see what the store tells me. I'm assuming a recovery install nukes all existing data?

e: got into disk utility through Internet recovery. Hard drive doesn't show up. Welp.

What model is it? It could be a bad HDD cable. In my experience that's the most likely issue if the MacBook flat-out doesn't see the disk, but again, it depends on the model.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

door Door door posted:

13" bought mid 2012. I'm really hoping its just a bad cable. I had a similar issue where the display cable went bad a few months ago. Feels like I've had way more problems with this one than I ever did with my old white MacBook.

Ah, so it is a non-retina pro? I bet it's the cable.