Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
This is probably a dumb question, but Google was no help. Is there any way to view an .avi file's dimensions in OS X? I use VLC to play that file type.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Forgive me if this question's already been asked, but I tried Googling the answer and had no luck. I just set up my Gmail account in the Mac Mail app. In the mailbox list on the left, under the Mailboxes category, it shows my Gmail account under Inbox.

Further down, below Reminders, it shows my Gmail account as its own category and under that is a 'Gmail' folder. When a new email comes in, it marks the number of unread messages next to both the Inbox under Mailboxes and the Gmail folder under my account category.

Is there any way I can set it so that it stops showing unread messages in the Gmail folder? Right now I have to read the message from the Inbox, and then select the Gmail folder and do "mark all as read".

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

So I've got an external hard drive formatted to NTSF. I've got a PC desktop and a Macbook Air, and ideally I'd like to use the external drive to store files from both. I read that there's software that would allow me to write to the drive from my Macbook Air. Are there any recommendations as to what would be the best programs to use to do so?

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Jolan posted:

I use NTFS-3G; it provides support for writing to NTFS drives and it's free. Just be aware that writing to NTFS via MacOSX will often be a bunch slower than if you were to do it in Windows, and that you always have to safely unmount your external drives (even on Windows!) to avoind NTFS-3G to be weird about it.

Thanks for the advice, but it looks like on NTFS-3G's site they say there's no current support for OS X 10.7 and above.

I may look into trying out the Paragon option.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

I just updated to iPhoto 9.2 but it wouldn't show up in Software Update, but rather I had to do it via the App Store. Does anyone know why some people are able to do it one way and others the other way? Or is there a setting I can do to have all App Store updates show up in Software Update?

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

For those of you toying with the new VLC 1.2 beta, I had a couple questions:

- Are srt subtitle files working for you? Just having the file in the same folder as the movie file is enough to get it loading in the stable version, but I can't figure out how to get them to show up in the new VLC.

- Watching a movie in the custom fullscreen (not the Lion fullscreen), when the file ends, there's no way for me to exit fullscreen. Just locks up on a black screen and I have to quit the app.

Anyone else having these issues?

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Well I just upgraded to Mountain Lion on my 2011 MacBook Air and it was pretty much the smoothest process I've ever had upgrading an OS. No issues to speak of so far. Honestly the changes were so subtle that the only thing I noticed different was Notification Center, which is been pretty useful since I keep the Mail client open on a separate spaces.

Also I just dictated this entire reply, so that seems to be working pretty fantastically.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

chupacabraTERROR posted:

Have you upgraded to iOS 6 yet on your iPhone? Make sure everything is up to date on your laptop and phone. iOS 6 will connect your phone number to your Apple ID, then a popup will show up on your laptop that asks if you want to receive messages from that number on your laptop.

Is there any way to send iMessages to people from my laptop and have them receive it as if it's coming from my iPhone number?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Molten Llama posted:

Yes, and in fact that's the default configuration.

Check the "Start new conversations from:" dropdown in the Messages preferences.

Thanks. Apple has finally persuaded me to use the Messages app on my MacBook and iPad!