Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
Just took delivery of a new 15" MBP to replace my 13" MBP running Snow Leopard.

What's the best way to get all my crap from my 13" MBP shifted over? Migration assistant through firewire? What happens to all the stuff on the 13"? I'm giving it to my younger brother and he'd like to keep the music if possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
Nearly had a loving heart attack.

Downloaded the 10.7.1 update and restarted. Grey screen comes up and I get the startup chime.

Then I get the chime again.

Then the screen goes black and I get "No bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key"

Panicked for a minute or two until I hard reset and held option to select the drive.

Going through the logistics of how Apple Care would work a million miles from any apple store had me making GBS threads myself.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

gnrk posted:

They send you a box for your computer, and it's sent back after the repairs are done.

Does AppleCare cover internationally as well?

Let's say I lived somewhere miles away, like Kenya. Would they still DHL me a box?

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
Here's hoping I'm as lucky with this one as I have been in the past :ohdear:

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
This may be a long shot...

Does anyone know of any flight management software?

I book upwards of 30 flights a month (not for myself) and keeping track of travel dates, pricing, change rules, unused return tickets, etc is becoming a royal pain in my rear end.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

Krakkles posted:

Are you locked into using a particular vendor?

I know there are fabulous corporate solutions that I would imagine are probably available publicly as well - maybe even consider using a travel agency.

Not locked down to any specific vendor.

I am using a travel agent right now (3 of them, actually), but it still seems to be tough to get a grip on everything that's going on.

strokevictim: I'm going to try out the TripIt for Business trial. Looks like that would help me quite a bit, cheers.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
Is there any way I can embed an image/pdf/whatever as an icon in Excel for Mac 2011?
I know you can do it in Windows with Insert --> Object, but I can't for the life of me figure this out.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
Let's say I have 5 email accounts set up in Mail, but I only want 1 or 2 of them to count for the new mail notification thing in the dock. Any way to do this? Or maybe have one account show up as another colour or something?

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
I just bought Fantastical and I'm loving it so far. One issue though. I have 5 email accounts set up in Mail. How do I set a default account to send mail from when I invite someone to a meeting? I've gone through the preferences and Googled but I can't seem to make this play nice. Seems to just send from whatever account.

angor fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Sep 22, 2011

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

NESguerilla posted:

I just finally upgraded to Lion the other day and now I am having airport problems. My network is still set as my preferred network and it is set to automatically connect, but when I open and close the lid on my laptop it either A. disconnects from the network and I have to go back to it manually or, B. Stays connected but the internet wont work until I refresh the page 5 or six times. Help?

Edit: also, sometimes it works fine (maybe 10%). I don't get it.

I have a similar problem. I have a 15"MBP (8,2). I installed the updates that it had been bugging me about yesterday. Since then, when I connect to a network it says I'm connected. However, I can't send/receive any data for 40 seconds or so. Safari says I'm not connected to the internet. When I press the network diagnostic button is says everything is a-ok. Did one of the updates break something?

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
I've run all the updates on my 15"MBP and I'm having WiFi issues. It shows that the airport is connected to my home network, but I don't have a connection. It takes about a minute to actually get any data traffic. When I open Safari, it tells me I'm not connected. If I click Network Diagnostics it says that everything is working.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

Mu Zeta posted:

Have you tried this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0LQV_OQ_Sc

This reminds me I really need to start watching that show.

That, however, is not the problem. It happens with every network I connect to and it has only been doing it after the update.

adm - I'm not running Little Snitch.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

angor posted:

I've run all the updates on my 15"MBP and I'm having WiFi issues. It shows that the airport is connected to my home network, but I don't have a connection. It takes about a minute to actually get any data traffic. When I open Safari, it tells me I'm not connected. If I click Network Diagnostics it says that everything is working.

Resetting the SMC worked a charm!

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
I live in the Middle East, but work US hours. I'd like my system clock to change to a US timezone when I'm on my work WiFi and local time when I'm at home. Is there any way to do this?

Running 10.8.4 on a MacBook Pro (8,2).

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
We do meetings fairly often with GoToMeeting. For something ridiculous reason, their 'draw' function is only supported with Windows. I'm looking for a decent app that will let me draw over pretty much anything that's on screen. Being able to save the image would be awesome as well. We'll be running this on an iMac (currently running Mountain Lion) and using a Wacom Bamboo. Any apps that will let me do this?

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

japtor posted:

Panic has an old app called Desktastic that might work but I have no clue if it actually runs properly anymore (it's really old). I'm sure there's similar apps though.

I vaguely remember another app called Scribbles by Atebits but I don't know if it's still around. I think it had a transparent window function that would sorta do the same thing.

Thanks! You weren't kidding about Desktastic being old. It's PowerPC old.

Scribbles seems a little buggy, but it's not too bad. Might bite the bullet and buy Deskcribble which seems decent.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
I have an early 2011 15" MBP that gets incredibly hot in the back left corner (under the esc key) when doing things Hangout video chat or watching YouTube videos. Also, the bottom left panel is sticking out about 2mm from the rest of the body. It's still under warranty, so I'm taking it in to an authorized repair center.

Before I take it in, I want to create an image of the disk just in case. My boot disk is 700GB (I partitioned 50GB off for a Win7 install I never got around to doing) and I'm using about 600GB of that. I have an external, but it's got stuff on it that I don't want to erase. It has about 1.5TB free space. Can I create a clone of my boot disk without wiping the hard drive? If so, how? All the tutorials I've seen start with formatting the drive.

EDIT: I'm an rear end, and didn't think this all the way through. I've created a 755GB partition on the external drive (Mac OS Extended (Journaled), GUID Partition Table). I can just throw the clone there, right?

angor fucked around with this message at 12:15 on May 4, 2014

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
Is there any way for me to see how many files are in a folder (and its subfolders) without counting the folders themselves?

For example:
>Folder 1
>>file.doc
>>Folder 2
>>>file2.doc
>>>file3.doc
>>>Folder 3
>>>>file4.doc

If I open inspector while Folder 1 is selected, it says there are 6 items. I want it to tell me that there are 4.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

Pivo posted:

code:
cd (drag folder from Finder into Terminal here)
find . -type f | wc -l

This...kinda seems like it's working. Could it be counting hidden files as well?

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
Woah, ok I'm a little confused (and way out of my depth).

I ran this:

code:
[@dev1 sandbox]$ find . -type f -not -name ".*"
./index.html
but without the ./index.html. It gives me a list of all the files (excluding hidden stuff) which is a total of 14. Easy enough to count, but I want to run this on a folder that has over 1000 files, so manually counting is out. How do I get a number from this? After running find . -type f -not -name ".*" if I run ./index.html it says "-bash: ./index.html: No such file or directory". I'm sure I'm doing something wrong.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
Legend! This is working perfectly. Thank you both!!!

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
Having a boot issue with a MacMini 5,3 after installing Yosemite.

It was working just fine, but one day it crashed and got stuck in an ongoing loop of trying to boot, and an error comes up and it restarts itself. This doesn't stop until you hold the power button down to kill it.

I managed to get it running by booting into recovery mode and repairing the disk and permissions. It worked for a week or so, but then did the same thing. I tried repairing the disk and permissions again and it DID boot, but crashed when I tried shutting down and now I'm stuck again.

Before repairing permissions I booted in verbose mode and took a video. I have no idea what's going on here, but I hope someone can chime in and explain why the issue is happening so I can fix it once and for all. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5DDREowuMc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

japtor posted:

Does it say it finds any problems and fixes them? Just wondering if it could be a disk issue.

When I ran it before, I can't remember if it fixed anything on the disk, but it definitely repaired a few permissions.

When I run it now, there's nothing to repair on the disk and there are no permissions to repair. So I restart and it starts booting, and this flashes up quickly. Managed to get a picture of it: http://imgur.com/Tdipp6Y

Looking closely at this...I have AirDisplay installed on this machine. Could that be messing everything up?