Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

If you're going to be programming for iOS, you'll need to get the Xcode IDE via the App Store (free) and check out some Objective-C and Swift tutorials. If you already feel familiar enough with C, both are pretty straightforward to pick up on. There are some pretty hefty free iBooks available as well, but are chock full of a whole lot of redundancy unless you've entirely forgotten your fundamentals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

I installed Windows 10 via Boot Camp because I got a retail copy for free via school. It worked just fine, but my fans went to what I'm assuming were 100% ("REEEEEEE") and never spun down after about 5 minutes, so I panicked/cried like girl and gave up for now. I assumed MacBooks had some sort of hardware-level fan control, but if I just needed to install SpeedFan or something, I'd give it another shot. Windows 10 looked nice, as someone who really likes Windows 7 and really dislikes Windows 8.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

^^^^^^EDIT: wups I can't read!

Feenix posted:

I got further. Made it to entering product key for Win10 and then it brought up the dialog asking where I should install the Windows (I chose the one that said like 'EFI :disk 4 partition1 BOOTCAMP') and it said it was unable to install it there. Was that the wrong one? It looked like the only primary-type drive partition that matched the right size.

If that was the right one, is it a partition format issue?

I got that too; I just formatted it then and there and the install finished smoothly. Just be extra certain you're formatting the partition labeled "BOOTCAMP".

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Thanks Ants posted:

Has Office 365 (Outlook) stopped working in Safari for anyone else? I can be in private browsing mode logging into an account on a domain I've never logged into before and it will just sit there telling me it's loading and will be done soon.

Works fine for me. Tried the usual stuff (clearing cache etc.)?

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

I haven't tried Daisy Disk, but if it can process ~40GB of data on this fast as gently caress SSD in quicker than a full minute, I'd probably pay for it over Disk Inventory X. Otherwise, if you don't mind waiting an eternity every time you want to analyze your drive, Disk Inventory X works.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Is there any option or command line wizardry to absolutely force my iTunes library to stay fixed at a particular directory, even when that directory is an unmounted drive? I've migrated my library to an external drive, which works fine, but if I make the grave mistake of launching iTunes while that drive isn't mounted, it reverts to to default (internal storage) directory. I want to use 0% of my internal storage on my library (which raises another question -- possible to store album artwork, caches, etc. externally?) and don't want it to bite me in the rear end again, when I launch iTunes, add a bunch of new stuff to my library, get album artwork, rearrange tracks, etc. and whoops! It's adding it to the default directory because I forgot to mount the external drive.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

PRADA SLUT posted:

If anyone is concerned about their copy of Xcode:

code:
spctl --assess --verbose /Applications/Xcode.app
Should return 'accepted', with a source being 'Apple', 'Apple System', or 'Mac App Store'. Might take a few minutes to process the command.

Thanks. Does this have to do with the recent "Chinese malware" thing? I pretty much ignored it because I tell myself I'm not a dummy that downloads malware, but I'm also uninformed. Was the App Store version of Xcode actually infected?

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

GokieKS posted:

I've seen the 6PM UTC mentioned as when it's going up, though no idea where it came from.

Yea, that's what I'm expecting. Apple's OS updates always seem to come down the tube around that time.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT posted:

What's the diff between usb fresh install + time machine backup restore and just running the installer from within OS X?

Other than the potential for data loss I mean. Is there some kind of explanation for why the former is better beyond 'I've done it and it seems to work well'?

All my external hard disks are ntfs (I use paragon ntfs on os x) and I'm lazy af to move things around just go I can reformat a drive into a time machine compatible fs

I'd like to know, too. Clean (Windows) installs have always yielded the best results for me, but I've never bothered with clean OS X installs except on new hardware. I just updated within OS X (no restore) and so far, so good.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Feenix posted:

I have a retina iMac and I updated today. What is faster that I can go "wow" at? Games? Graphics? Just how fast poo poo opens up?

It's mainly been the transitional/graphical UI effects for me, but I haven't done a whole lot with El Capitan besides web browsing and homework. Yosemite had frame drops all over the place for me -- sliding between desktops/webpages, maximizing apps/videos to full screen, Launchpad, scrolling in Office 2016 Word (which still crashes!), etc.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

jinpachistar posted:

Ever since I upgraded to ElCap, my login screen shows a default grey background instead of my desktop wallpaper when I wake my computer from sleep (it's fine when I restart or log out into it). It's not that big of an annoyance, but has anyone else experienced this?

Nope, don't think so. Probably something as simple as reapplying the image as your wallpaper, if you haven't tried that already.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Roobsa posted:

So is Safari better than Chrome now?

Safari didn't change a whole lot in 9.0 as far as performance goes, but it is perfectly fast, minimal, and serviceable. There's a grip of ad block extensions available and that's good enough for my needs.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Glasgow Kiss posted:

How's Office 2016 holding up for you guys on el cap? Are the stability issues wide spread or are things working ok? I just upgraded to capitan and I'm still using 2011. Would love to hop on 2016, but I just wanna know if shits really broke or not.

edit: cap is pretty good so far. things seem to run quicker and open a bit faster. maybe due to metal? this is all on a stock 2011 MBP btw.

I use Word 2016. I only use it for its templates (lazy) and its formatting (since even though Pages can save to .doc/.docx, it doesn't seem to carry over properly to Word.) It has crashed on me like every time I've used it so far, resulting in loss of work, so I hate it. Yesterday was my first time using it on El Capitan... and it crashed when I inserted an image. I was able to recover and try again, though, and it worked. Always Be Command-S'ing.

Performance (sans crashing) is better with the latest updates and/or El Capitan though, and way better than Word 2011.

enojy fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Oct 2, 2015

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Sheesh, 1password for iOS is free, but on OSX it's Fifty loving Dollars? I think I'll just stick to manually generating new passwords a couple of times a year...

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Neat new function for MacBooks in El Capitan -- you can enable "Silent Clicking" for the trackpad. I tried it, but can't get into it. I need the fake click sound. So bizarre.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Mr. Motivator posted:

I'm hesitant to upgrade because of three main things:

1: Lots of reports of lovely battery life compared to 10.10
2: Lots of reports of MS Office 2016 crashing a lot
3: Removal of non-signed extensions to Safari. In other words, the custom extension I wrote to get me straight into my outlook mail will be gone aswell as other useful extensions like ClickToFlash. Seriously Apple?

Anyone have any experience of any of the above?

My battery life is fine, but Office 2016 crashes a noticeable amount, and ClickToFlash/ClickToPlugin no longer works (yet?)

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

For what it's worth, I'm pretty sure 100% of my crashes in Word 2016 have been preceded by one of two things: inserting an image or editing a large chunk of a template/table of contents. Not super common activities (but they are for me.)

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Krispy Kareem posted:

Ugh...I really liked LastPass.

Has anyone had any issues with iCloud Keychain? I recently switched from Firefox to Safari so at this point everything I'm using is on the same platform. It might make sense to just use the default password manager.

Nope. If you use an iPhone and OSX it's pretty great. I find it to be a little more convenient than Chrome in that regard (saved credit card(s) information comes to mind.)

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Krispy Kareem posted:

Is anyone noticing slower Safari performance under 10.11? I get a lot more beachballs when switching tabs. It's not earth shattering, but it is noticeable.

This is on a 2011 Mac Mini with 8gb of ram. I don't do much except VPN and use web sites on it so I haven't noticed any other slowdowns. I was under the impression 10.11 was good for older Macs.

Safari 9.0 seems fine to me on a 2015 rMBP. It may use a little more RAM on average than before, but 8GB should be plenty (I've got the same.) Do you have any outdated extensions perhaps? Cleared cache?

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

I apparently own two Apple TVs ("Apple TV (2)") and have no idea why, as I plugged it in when I bought it and did absolutely nothing else beyond turning it on for Netflix every once in a while.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Decided to try out MacID last night, and it's pretty cool. It's an OS X unlocker that uses Touch ID (or watchOS) to unlock. The OS X client also supports proximity unlock and (touchpad) tap to unlock, which is great if you're typing in your password dozens of times a day. Dunno if you have to buy the iOS app to use the free OS X app.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

kode54 posted:

$0.99. Which isn't really too bad, actually.

Is it $0.99 right now? I just paid $3.99 last night! Worth it to me at either price, though.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Michaellaneous posted:

I heard so many bad things about Captain from friends that I am really iffy about upgrading to it.

I guess I'll wait until everything settles.

On another note I just found out that twistd is preinstalled on mac which is cool + good.

What have you heard that is bad? I've heard nothing but good things, barring some third-party software either breaking or not yet being updated. The big (only) one for me was MS Office 2016, which now seems to be remedied. Although Office 2016 was crashing in Yosemite anyway.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT posted:

picked up MacID after reading a few posts here a few pages back. Using it with a '15 13" rMBP and an iPhone 6. It owns. I walk three metres away (you can adjust sensitivity) and it auto-locks. I walk back and it auto-unlocks when I'm about the same distance from it. Super useful for when you wanna get up and walk around in libraries and such

How's that treating your phone's battery life? I wanted to try the proximity unlock, but it seems to keep Bluetooth active 100% of the time and I'm too worried that'd be murderous on the battery over a full day.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

GokieKS posted:

The real answer is that Finder is a giant piece of poo poo and has been the worst part of OS X basically ever since OS X existed. Trying to get consistent view options in it is basically impossible - you can try to set defaults, and you'd think that would be saved in the DS_Store files, but it never actually seems to work that way in reality.

I would honestly suggest to just pay for Path Finder - you'll be much happier for it.

Hah, I'm glad it's not just me being boggled by any and all attempts to set view defaults for Finder. I'll probably suck it up and look into paid Finder alternatives. I came to OS X last year from being a lifetime (20+ years) Windows user, and with the state of the two OSes these days, had no growing pains except for Finder. For me, the closer it can get to Windows Explorer, the better.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Has anyone else had issues with Google services within Safari? I was using Google as my default URL bar search engine for a while, until it started getting unresponsive. Lately, the problem has spread to gMail as well. I tried gMail (app) on my phone, which loaded instantly. I've cleared Safari's cache, but that's about all I know how to do on this here computer thing.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Phobophilia posted:

I found the deleted emails, they were in a weird loving folder that I had to dig through in gmail.

Also where is the iPhone thread

What the gently caress is this... "Tr-trash"

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Pivo posted:

The best at being completely obtuse and require you to bend your hands in unholy ways? Yeah, they are pretty good at that.

Cmd-Ctrl-Shift-Option-F9 GOOD loving LUCK

I look like I'm throwing up a gang sign.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Have you checked out the options for System Preferences -> iCloud -> keychain?

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Confirming that Office 2016 + up-to-date El Capitan is perfectly serviceable (at least, Word, PowerPoint, and Excel is, I don't use the rest of the suite.) I haven't had it crash once since that update in September or so. Before, I could get it to reliably crash in multiple ways and was scary to use.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Improves Wi-Fi reliability
Improves the reliability of Handoff and AirDrop
Fixes an issue that may cause Bluetooth devices to disconnect

This is ~*~the update of my dreams~*~ hopefully these shits actually work. The spotty wi-fi I could just as easily blame on living in an apartment complex chock full of 2.4GHz congestion, but Bluetooth and Handoff have been pretty awful in El Capitan so far. I haven't seen Continuity work from iPhone -> MacBook once since upgrading from Yosemite, although it does work the other way around. Also, the occasional "Bluetooth: not available" when waking from sleep is pretty boggling, requiring a reboot.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

I was drunk last night and bought a CleanMyMac 3 license, when I probably should've been wasting money on a Finder replacement. Please tell me this wasn't the one that was found to have malware built into it a few months ago. Wasn't that MacKeeper?

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

I've got a seemingly simple issue with Safari 9 in El Capitan I can't figure out. After some arbitrary amount of time, stuff stops loading -- at first I thought it was Google services, but many more (if not all) websites are affected. Restarting Safari fixes the issue. Any thoughts?

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Its probably not this but make sure App Nap is turned off for Safari

App Nap was off, but thank you for the suggestion. Another Dude On The Internet had the same problem, and claims to have found a solution in disabling Safari's DNS prefetching. Trying that out!

For reference, if anyone else encounters slow/non-loading performance with Safari 9:

code:
defaults write com.apple.safari WebKitDNSPrefetchingEnabled -boolean false

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

salisbury shake posted:

How the gently caress do I change the default text size in Safari permanently? I already have the rMBP display scaled and poo poo online is still too big.

AFAIK, there's only the option to lock the lower bounds of font sizes in Safari. In menus, at least. There may be some terminal command you could use.

Yea, try messing with the values:

code:

defaults write com.apple.Safari com.apple.Safari.ContentPageGroupIdentifier.WebKit2DefaultFontSize 14

defaults write com.apple.Safari com.apple.Safari.ContentPageGroupIdentifier.WebKit2DefaultFixedFontSize 14

I'm assuming the first sets the default size, and the second may override any given website's designated font sizes. Make a backup of ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Safari.plist first, just in case things get too out of control.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Tippis posted:

And while we're discussing sudden issues, my Mail.app has apparently stopped giving notifications out of nowhere. Fiddling with the notification settings has had no effect, same with all manners of restarts and attempts at adding/removing accounts (since some googling ended up suggesting this).

It was literally from one day to the next — it works, and now it doesn't. :shrug:

Are you closing Mail.app (command-Q) instead of leaving it running as a process? Only thing I can think of.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Now I want to remove the spotlight search and notification center icons from the toolbar. I never use the icons and it'd look cleaner without them.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

All versions of 1Password are 50% off right now (OS X, Windows, OS X/Windows bundle.) The discount also reflects on the App Store as well if you'd prefer buying it there, instead of a license directly from the developer. I'm currently content using my offline-only ripoff freebie password manager, but feel free to sell me on 1Password if you want! I just don't know if the Touch ID functionality is really worth the price, and so far I can deal without cloud syncing.

Edit: huh, I had no idea my offline-only ripoff freebie password manager is actually a cloud-sync-supported ripoff freemium password manager with Touch ID. I use Enpass, which is free on OS X and free on iOS unless you need to store more than 20 passwords (then it's $9.99 for a lifetime license.) It supports Touch ID unlocking, cloud syncing with a grip of various services (including iCloud if you install the App Store version, but lacks this if you install from their website.) The website version also supports browser extensions, but it seems kinda hokey, and requires Enpass to be open and unlocked to use it, so whatever to that. Looks like it's pretty universally-supported, too, if you use Windows/Linux/etc.

enojy fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Jan 22, 2016

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

LPG Giant posted:

Is there something odd going on with how OSX calculates disk space?

I use a program (Disk Inventory X, http://www.derlien.com) to visualise the space used on my mac. It states that I've used 105gb. When I (roughly) tally up the different folders I get to 82 GB - a 23 Gb difference. Strange. It also says I have 80 Gb free.

Stranger still, when I look at how much OS X claims I've used (using get info) it also says I've used 105 Gb. But it claims that I have 95 Gb available, which makes sense (the main disk is a 200 Gb partition).

So what gives? How much space do I actually have available, and what is using this extra 23 Gb that I cannot find?

Macbook Pro Retina, 13 inch 256 GB, OS X El Capitan.

Both approaches may be taking into account hidden Library/system files, dunno if you're considering those. As for the discrepancy in what Disk Inventory X and built-in Storage says you have available, they may differ in how they account for disk space temporarily used by paging. This really starts to add up the longer you go without rebooting (I believe it's considered "Other" in Storage,) but OS X applies a threshold policy that'll automatically start deallocating the space used by paging if you start running low on drive space. Try checking both immediately after rebooting to see if they match up more closely -- it's more than likely just paging.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Splinter posted:

The one thing I need is CMD+number tab switching: https://github.com/rs/SafariTabSwitching. Sounds like this may be built into Safari now on El Capitan, but at least on Mavericks this extension is still required.

It's in Safari now, but maybe just Safari 9.0? Dunno if it's new to El Capitan or 9.0.