Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
My Apogee Duet totally freaks out in Lion. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I need to figure out how to turn off two things in Safari.

* the stupid tap-to-zoom stuff. I'm constantly tapping along to music and it's really annoying to have it zooming in on me.

* being able to "move" the page horizontally inside the browser frame. I thought that turning off the two finger "preview" navigation would do it, but it still lets you wiggle the page around.

Any ideas? Can't find either one of these online. I thought Lion was going to be the poo poo with my magic trackpad, but all this stuff is making me just use my mouse.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

x-virge posted:

Should "Smart zoom":

:doh: Of course. I must have looked in that pref pane five times without it clicking. Thanks.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Hey, neato. My Duet works (mostly) inside Lion if you uninstall all the Apogee software. The only thing that's weird is that it unmutes itself if you mute it from the keyboard, but holding down the volume knob to mute works.

Can't really record with it in this state, but I don't need to do any of that right now anyways.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

dazjw posted:

Is anyone else having a problem where Safari (5.1, Lion) decides to reload your tabs when you switch to them? Kind of like using an iPad 1, but more annoying since my MBP has 8GB of ram and most of it is free.

Yup.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

RIP Rivet. :smith:

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I put Lion on my 13" Macbook Pro right before I bought my new Mini to replace it. I'm not sure why I did that, but that's neither here nor there.

Anyways, if I do a clean install of Lion on my MBP, is it associated with my Apple ID at all? How should I prepare this thing to sell to someone? Just do a clean install of Snow Leopard and let them deal with it?

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

x-virge posted:

At first I thought you meant it didn't work with Lion, but then I saw the blog post you're likely referring to. Shame.

Is it working in Lion for you? It seems like it's streaming properly as far as I can tell, but my system definitely seems faster and less quirky when it's not running.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Has anyone been able to clone the Recovery HD partition in disk utility? Every time I try to kick off the restore disk utility dismounts it. Using CCC resulted in an unbootable SD card.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Got the bottom hard drive cable for my Mini today, and I should have my SSD tomorrow. (Went with a 120GB OWC Electra 6G.)

I'll be moving my 500GB drive into the second spot and putting the SSD in the first slot, then installing Lion on it. I'm not sure how I'm going to transfer my user account, though. Will Migration Assistant pick up on the install on the second drive and let me migrate from there? I'll need to keep my iTunes and Aperture libraries on the 500GB drive, but the OS, applications, and the rest of my user directory should fit fine on the SSD.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I just installed Lion onto my new SSD, and used Migration Assistant to migrate everything except my ~/Movies, ~/Pictures, and ~/Music folders. These total about 300GB, so I can't really move them onto the SSD.

Does it matter if I just leave these in my old Users folder and symlink to them? Should I move them out of Users onto the root of the drive? Move them onto my external, wipe the drive, then put them back?

Ideas?

edit: OR should I move all of /Users/ on the second drive?

DEUCE SLUICE fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Aug 16, 2011

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Once you plug in the projector the other resolutions will show up.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

japtor posted:

Symlinking should work, although I'd watch out for possible permission issues, like if it sees it as a different user than your new account. You could probably chown or whatever to fix it if it comes up...but I'm not too familiar with it so I can't give specifics.

Moving all of Users (or just your user) works, but you lose some speed benefits cause there's caches and stuff in the user Library folder. If you have Steam or CrossOver they stick their crap in there too. And on that note if you happen to install a big game off Steam and you're missing a bunch of space all of a sudden, now you'll know why.

Thanks. I ended up just moving the whole Users folder.

Ended up being quite the ordeal, as I had to jockey stuff around due to not having enough disk space anywhere to just reformat drives and clone. Oh well, I'll be replacing the 500GB drive with a 1TB drive, and then I'll be able to only copy over the user folder and dedicate my external for backups.

I just didn't have room without nuking backups and I'll be damned if I am moving around my only copy of my Aperture or iTunes library.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

(crosspost from mac gaming thread, which was buried after about 10 minutes...)

Is there an SNES emulator that works under Lion? Is SNES9X supposed to? (Mine doesn't, but I wasn't really able to find a good answer as to whether that is an individual problem or an inherent problem.)

edit: What the hell, I get home and it works immediately. Oh well...

DEUCE SLUICE fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Sep 27, 2011

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Oneiros posted:

So I'm reading that Mail.app in ML no longer does RSS feeds. Is there a way to transfer my 40+ webcomic feeds (no, seriously) to another RSS reader easily or am I going to have to do this manually and with lots of cursing?

This might still work: http://timkeller.me/2009/06/21/rss-exporting-from-mail-app-to-google-reader/

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

smackfu posted:

Someday I may get an up-to-date code. Should just spend the $20.

You'll feel like a dingus when it shows up the hour after you buy it.

(I'd like mine too, though.)

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I just got my code, as well.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Why the hell does my hostname keep changing from Hostname.local to Hostname-2.local? I did use Migration Assistant to move from my old box to the current, but there wouldn't be anything else on the network with the same name or anything...

edit: I do have simultaneous wired and wireless connections to the same router.

DEUCE SLUICE fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Jan 9, 2015

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Why the hell does my hostname keep changing from Hostname.local to Hostname-2.local? I did use Migration Assistant to move from my old box to the current, but there wouldn't be anything else on the network with the same name or anything...

edit: I do have simultaneous wired and wireless connections to the same router.

Looks like this is a bug!

quote:

Incremental Bonjour network names. The name of your computer as it appears in the Sharing preferences pane is broadcast using Bonjour over the local network. However, with File Sharing or other features enabled, Yosemite regularly decides that the name is in conflict with itself, and increments the number. So you see "Glenn's MacBook Air (2)", "3", and so on.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

CPU was over 60% steady when I woke up this morning, with all of it being the opendirectoryd service. Force killed, restarted, same thing.

I also noticed there were a ton of sshd processes running. Checked the Console and sure enough, someone was trying to brute force into my box over ssh. Killed the port forward at the router and CPU went immediately to 0%.

Bitches.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Has anyone used Duplicate Annihilator for Aperture, or any other comparable piece of software to get rid of duplicates in their Aperture libraries? I'm trying to get everything assembled in a sane fashion before Photos comes out.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Pivo posted:

I don't know about your question, but are you actually thinking of switching to Photos from Aperture? Photos seems like a watered down solution meant for people who shoot JPEGs and probably use Instagram filters. I'm actually planning to switch to Lightroom. What makes Photos compelling for an Aperture user? I got the email from Apple today too and laughed at it.

I am. I mainly use Aperture for organization as it handled the amount of pictures I have (about 300GB) better than iPhoto did, but not really to do any kind of deep editing. I just use it as a nice dumping ground, essentially, and Photos looks like it'll handle that use case better. I also like the integration with iCloud and my iPhone, which is where I shoot 95% of pictures nowadays anyways, and being able to easily share stuff with my wife.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I had been pretty impressed with iCloud Photos but it stopped updating the stuff from my iPhone, (they were present in icloud.com's Photos app so I know they'd been uploaded.) After unchecking and re-checking the iCloud library box in Photos it decided it needed to re-upload my entire library. Uploading 250GB - again - on a line with a 3 meg upload link is a serious drag.

I almost feel like it'd be smarter to move the Photos library somewhere as a backup and have it hook up to the iCloud copy fresh?

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

mmmm yes this feels good

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Unfortunately, native commands don't work inside Powershell unless you launch Powershell from bash. :( I'd totally do it, otherwise.

Powershell is so good.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Pivo posted:

No idea how it's going to work. Is it common for debit cards to support Apple Pay? Mine doesn't (with Tangerine in Canada). I sure as hell am not going to be sending people cash advances off my credit card, so I guess this is once again a non-starter for many non-US users.

I think so. Mine does.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Convert your filesystem to APFS on a beta OS. Do it.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

evelyn87 posted:

Life long Windows user. Just received a 2017 13" MBP no-touchbar with entry level specs and 256gb drive. My eyes have been opened. Going into this with zero expectations except for realizing I'm now a poor - everything has just worked, is intuitive, and I'm glad I made the "leap".

I'll never get away from Windows in the professional setting, what do you IT sysadmin types do if you use MacOS for on-call and remote support? So far I've got the macOS vpn client working for our brand of firewall - and I've got the Microsoft RDP app. What else could I be overlooking? Any other apps or management tools I can use instead of bouncing into my Windows workstation at work to solve issues? I know this is a broad question, just wondering if I'm overlooking anything really remedial.

When I procured a RoyalTS site license at work I had them buy the Windows + Mac license. RoyalTS is really good on Mac. Between that and Terminal I'm solid. My Windows workstation is basically just an Office / web / remote client anyways so it's a lot of getting to jump boxes to do work regardless.

Mac Office is great with the one glaring omission of Visio. OmniGraffle is awesome but that's another thing to have someone buy you. (I just published Visio on a Citrix server I had sitting around to get around that.) I also have Powershell installed on my Mac like a heathen.

The one thing I haven't found a good enough replacement for is Notepad++. Sublime Text is close though.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I followed the steps to install Netatalk and afp on my Linux server, and I can see my fake Time Capsule from TM config...

...but it keeps prompting for password and getting in a weird loop. After I put the credentials in it's connected and visible in Finder.

Anyone get Time Machine backup working to a Linux machine or Linux-based NAS?

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Proteus Jones posted:

Use SMB instead. I've never gotten AFP to work reliably on Network shares.

I have a Linux based NAS (MyCloud EX 2) with SMB and have been using TM for well over year with very little issue. At least from a Network perspective. The other issue described yesterday with TM eating itself and needing to start a whole new backup image from scratch is inescapable regardless of the target drive/share.

Did you need to run this?

code:
defaults write com.apple.systempreferences TMShowUnsupportedNetworkVolumes 1

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Huh. And it's really presenting the share over SMB? Interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

BobHoward posted:

Idk though, that Apple link you posted sure does say Time Machine should work on SMB. It would make sense for Apple to have put some work into that as they've been slowly phasing out AFP in favor of SMB.

Well, this is odd. I continued to have the problem using AFP, so I installed SMB, created a new differently-named share, & connected to it, expecting to see it in TM prefs.

It didn't show up, but now the AFP share works.

Spooky.