Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ScooterMcTiny
Apr 7, 2004

Putting an Intel SSD in my brand new MacBook Pro today. Is this what I should be doing to enable TRIM in Lion? - http://digitaldj.net/2011/07/21/trim-enabler-for-lion/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ScooterMcTiny
Apr 7, 2004

Having an issue with some streaming video. YouTube videos, ESPN.com, Hulu, etc. all play fine, but when I try to stream some live sports, I run into a problem where the video just stutters non stop. My fans aren't revving up and the processor load doesn't seem terrible, but the video just seems to throw in a few extra frames every second. Audio comes through fine as well. Any ideas?

ScooterMcTiny
Apr 7, 2004

In the volume part of the menu bar, is there a way to enable it to always show output device when clicked, instead of just when holding option?

ScooterMcTiny
Apr 7, 2004

I have a 2011 15" MacBook Pro and this morning I woke to this screen. I haven't had any issues with it, so this is a bit of a surprise. Every time I hit restart it just goes to the bootup screen (white background, apple logo, progress bar), before landing here again with the restart button. Am I entirely hosed, or is there a way to abort whatever installation process it thinks it needs to initialize?

https://imgur.com/a/N2BD18o

ScooterMcTiny
Apr 7, 2004

Thanks y’all that was helpful. Rebooted while holding option and was able to get out of the installer and back to my installed High Sierra.

ScooterMcTiny
Apr 7, 2004

Anton Chigurh posted:

Does YouTube TV's cloud DVR allow you to set the recording time of the beginning or ending time of a show? Neither PS Vue nor Direct TV Now do, and shows will get cut off.

For example, the networks often allot only 3 hours to an NFL football game, but they often go longer than that. Currently, the only way to be sure to record the end of those games is to record the show after it in the guide. They don't allow you to simply add 30 minutes or an hour to the recording time. It's annoying as hell, since that's a basic function built into every hardware DVR since the first TiVo, I believe.

Not the NFL but I’ve done this with other sports games and haven’t run into any issue with YouTube TV. It always keeps recording automatically for any sports event as far as I can tell. Not sure on adding recording time manually though.

ScooterMcTiny
Apr 7, 2004

Related to cloud storage convo, my wife and I currently pay for way too much of this poo poo and I’m looking to consolidate things. With selective sync and family sharing, it looks like Google One might actually be our best bet until apple fully gets it together with iCloud. Is there an easy-ish way to transfer files from Dropbox to google drive, especially if a bunch of the files aren’t stored locally on any machine?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ScooterMcTiny
Apr 7, 2004

Chris Knight posted:

I wouldn't convert any non-boot drive to APFS.

I have an external drive for my Mac Mini that I formatted to APFS. What should I do instead?