Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Pizza Guy
Jun 24, 2004

"Yeah, it was incredible, the drugs, the sex, the all-night parties. I really miss that Shining Time Station."
Grimey Drawer
Now that iOS/iPad OS versions of Safari have full download managers, I need some help lining things up from there to Safari on my Mac.

By default iOS Safari saves to a new “Downloads” folder in iCloud Drive. Safari on OS X still downloads to the downloads folder in my home directory. Is there an elegant way to link these two locations so I only have to run hazel rules on a single folder?

I already moved my desktop and documents folders from home to iCloud Drive, which is a setting in the iCloud Drive system preferences. I’m a little surprised that Apple hasn’t set up something similar for the downloads folder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Pizza Guy
Jun 24, 2004

"Yeah, it was incredible, the drugs, the sex, the all-night parties. I really miss that Shining Time Station."
Grimey Drawer

Last Chance posted:

Safari -> Preferences -> File download location, been there a long time

I apologize, I got a little lost in the weeds and forgot to mention that I’m aware of that setting. I’d prefer not changing it in Safari, since it’s standard behavior in Mac OS to save there (for example, Chrome saves there, Finder has home folder downloads as a quick link, etc.). I was thinking an alias or system link made sense to make the two folders one-in-the-same, but perhaps I’m just over complicating it.

Happy Pizza Guy
Jun 24, 2004

Grimey Drawer

FCKGW posted:

My 2020 Intel MBP is kernel panicking if I leave it on my USB-C monitor overnight :(

I believe there were issues related to power nap causing kernel panics on recent releases of Catalina. I have a 13" 2020 MBP and turning it off helped the problem a few months back.

I just upgraded to Big Sur and turned it back on - hoping that it's fixed...

Happy Pizza Guy
Jun 24, 2004

Grimey Drawer
While we're talking about some of the rockiness of the M1 transition, has anyone found anything particularly notable in terms of iOS apps on their new macs? My list is pretty short:
    1. Overcast - great podcast player, works perfectly and syncs up with my iOS devices
    2. Channels - runs and looks far better than any HDHomerun OS X app I've used
    3. The app for my home thermostat (Honeywell Total Comfort) runs, but just barely
    4. Plex runs quite nicely, but I'm not sure how much I'm going to use it instead of just walking over to my AppleTV

The 11.1 release theoretically smooths out some apps that had troubles running full screen before (I've read that HBO Max and Netflix are greatly improved).

Any A+ games I should look at? Any other nicer-than-mac utilities I should be aware of? I have an iPhone but I generally prefer a desk/big screen/keyboard and mouse for most "computery" activities.

Happy Pizza Guy
Jun 24, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Has anyone else had an issue with iMessage alerts on Big Sur (11.1) coming in with no contact info? The alert has the contact's phone number but the Messages app itself has their names - address book seems synced up, too.

Happy Pizza Guy
Jun 24, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm using this method to Time Machine backup a few Macs on my home network to the same external drive attached to my Mac Mini. It's nice because I can limit them all to a few hundred GB so they won't take over the entire disk.

Is there any way to back up the Mini itself to that same external drive? What method should I use?

Happy Pizza Guy
Jun 24, 2004

Grimey Drawer

the corona quid posted:

Does anyone know if Sidecar works better directly linked to the Mac through USB, I like the idea of it but it seems to randomly kill my MBP’s wifi connection and be a little choppy.

Yes, it does work better through USB. Is there a reason you haven’t tried it yourself? It just takes a regular lightning cable.

Happy Pizza Guy
Jun 24, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Granite Octopus posted:

Hiding the proxy icon was a loving idiot move but the rest of big sur has kinda grown on me. It’s even been pretty stable

Still annoyed by title bar proxy icons being hidden, but my other big annoyance is now covered by Bartender 4 (ridiculous menubar icon spacing).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Pizza Guy
Jun 24, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Anyone know of a nice-to-use VNC and RDP client for Mac?

I recently started using a headless Mac Mini to run a Windows session in Parallels that I RDP into frequently, but I also need to be able to connect to the host operating system, which is MacOS. It just seems foolish/odd to have Screens and Microsoft Remote Desktop running all the time when they do such similar things. I do know that VNC is cross-platform, it's just so much worse to use than RDP for Windows sessions.