Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

I've had this MPB I'm using since 2008 and I've never done a clean install. I bought lion this morning but I'm waiting to finish up some photos for a client tonight before I install it.

Is it worth it to do a clean install? If so, what would be the best way of doing so? I have a time machine backup and a TB free on an external drive that I can utilize.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Terpfen posted:

Clean installs are overrated when it comes to OS X. We can all blame Microsoft for instilling in us the urge to clean install constantly, due to the utter mess that is the way Windows of old handled upgrades and updates.

Yeah this is my first mac. Back in the windows days I'd flatten and reinstall at least once every 6 months.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Launch pad seems like it'd be cool for new mac users. Way better than the start menu of windows and better than browsing the applications folder. Personally, I like using CMD+Space to launch spotlight then start to type in the app name till it comes up. A lot faster than anything else.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Is it just me or does it seem like Safari now loads webpages a lot quicker? I'm going through my daily instant win games and things are going a bit faster.

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Anyone else notice that Photoshop Elements is on the App Store now? That seems like sort of a big deal to me. I never thought we'd see Adobe aligning to Apple's distribution method, but I guess they don't care about their consumer licensing as much. Still, it gives me hope for Photoshop CS eventually making it there.

Yeah I saw that in macworld today. This line in the article had me intrigued:

quote:

The Mac App Store version of Elements 9 includes the same editing tools that made the full version popular, including content aware-fill, Group Shot, Panorama, and Style Match Photomerge tools.

With my setup of Aperture and the Nik plugins, I don't even know if I need CS5 anymore. The only time I ever go into it is for Content Aware Phil and to stitch photos. It seems like all that's available in PSE. What am I really going to miss? I can't think of anything.

Also I wonder if buy PSE from the app store, does that count for upgrade pricing for creative suite?

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Maybe that's why Safari seems to be loading pages faster too? It's mostly the image heavy pages that I notice a difference on.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

No. 6 posted:

Note to all users wanting to remove the login name, battery meter, clock, etc from your Menu Bar. Simply hold Cmd and drag the icon out. It disappears into the ether.

Cool, now how do I get it to move over so there isn't an empty space?

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Cool, Safari now has a type of instapaper built in.

http://www.macworld.com/article/161267/2011/07/safari51_lion.html#lsrc.rss_main

Macworld posted:

Reading List
Safari 5.1’s flagship feature is Reading List, which lets you “save” interesting articles for later reading. When you come across an article on the Web that you just don’t have time to read immediately, or that you want to keep around for later reference, you simply choose Bookmarks: Add To Reading List (or press Shift-Command-D), and that article is added to your list.

You can view your Reading List at any time—it appears as a sidebar on the left-hand side of the Safari window—by choosing View -> Show Reading list, by clicking the Reading List icon (which looks like a pair of eyeglasses) in Safari’s Bookmarks Bar, or by pressing Shift-Command-L. Your saved articles are listed here, each displaying the article title, the host site’s favicon (Web icon), and a two-line preview of the article’s content. Click any article in the list to view it in the main part of the Safari window.

Once Apple’s new iCloud service is up and running in the fall, and you’ve set up your iCloud account on all your Macs and iOS devices, your Reading List will be synchronized between all those devices in a manner similar to the way Safari bookmarks are currently synced via MobileMe. Add an article to your Reading List on your iPhone in this iCloud-driven future, and it will be waiting in Safari on your Mac once you get back to your desk.

Reading List is similar in principle to services such as Instapaper and Read It Later. But Reading List lacks many of the features that make these services so popular. For example, Reading List doesn’t store articles for offline viewing—when accessing a saved article in the Reading List, your computer must be connected to the Internet. Similarly, while Safari’s Reader feature lets you view an article in a format optimized for reading—bereft of ads and messy formatting, similar to the Readability Web service or Instapaper’s own Mobilizer—you can’t save this more-readable version to your Reading List. In other words, Reading List is in many ways just a prettified list of bookmarks.

Safari's Reading List feature lets you save articles for later reading.
In contrast, Instapaper also lets you organize saved articles into folders; share your lists of articles with friends; add articles to your list via email; and download articles in formats optimized for different devices. The Instapaper iOS app even tracks your current reading position when you switch between devices, and scores of Mac and iOS apps let you add articles to your Instapaper list without making you first open those articles in Safari. And, of course, Instapaper works in any browser, not just Safari.

In other words, as with support for RSS feeds (added in Safari 3), Apple has chosen to include a bare-bones, easy-to-use “read later” feature that will satisfy a good number of users but will leave more-advanced users wanting. Indeed, it’s likely that services such as Instapaper and Read It Later will actually gain users thanks to Reading List, as more people see the utility of a read-this-later feature but, frustrated with Reading List's limitations, look for better options.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Xandu posted:

iTunes Display Duplicates is terrible, though. It shows tons of files that aren't duplicates (like live versions) and if you do have a significant amount of duplicates, it's a pain in the rear end to manually delete them one by one.

edit: As Doctor Zero said, check the itunes thread. There's definitely better options available, but I can't remember any of them at the moment.

I use Tuneup. It runs like rear end but gets the job done. I mostly use it for covers and renaming but it also has a de-duper in it.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Anyone else having problems with 1Password and Safari in lion? I updated 1Pass, made sure it installed the safari plugin, but I don't see the menu item when I right click on a login box.

Edit: the interface has changed for Safari 5.1. Hit CMD-\ to bring up the dialog.

Haggins fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Jul 22, 2011

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Space Racist posted:

Lion's advanced gestures are only on the new glass trackpads. You can get a Magic Trackpad, or alternately get a new Macbook. :v:

This is not completely true. The multi touch trackpads came out a bit before the unibodies/glass trackpads. My old style non unibody from 2008 has full multi touch. I think it was a brand new feature when I bought it.

Speaking of magic trackpads, does anyone dislike them? I mostly use my MBP docked to external kb/monitor/mouse and I find I kinda miss using the built in trackpad.

Haggins fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Jul 22, 2011

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

I'm pretty much stumped as to why my late 2008 MBP runs like rear end under lion (model 4,1). It's gotten significantly slower since upgrading from SL. I don't really crash but I get tons of beach ball lock ups. I have a hard time editing in Aperture, to the point where I can barely use it. Since the upgrade my fans have been running constantly, even when I'm not doing anything and hardly anything is running. I have 4gb of ram and a 7200rpm drive.

Googling and searching the Apple forums says that other people are having these issues too, but I can't seem to pin point anything specific or find any kind of solution. Am I just screwed by some bad Lion code? Can I do anything more than hope they fix the issue soon or downgrade to SL?

_____

In other news, while I was googling my problem I found out that there was some secret firmware update for my mac that changes my ram cap from 4gb to 8gb. If it doesn't cost too much, I think I might give it a try. What ram should I buy?

This is what I'm currently using:

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

I've read a lot of complaints about the NVIDIA drivers in Lion, but I haven't seen any numbers to back it up. I also have no idea if it affects the 8600 series that you have.

Is this a clean install or an upgrade?

It's an upgrade. If it's really worth it to do a clean install I'll try it but I've read a few things where that didn't help. I cleaned up my start up programs and I've been keeping an eye on the activity monitor. Though Safari will spike a little, as far as I can tell, the only program I have a real issue is flash. However, that seems like mac wide problem. I've also tried every "speed trick" I could find from getting rid of unused programs to repairing permissions and so on.

Also about my GPU, it should be noted that it's the subject of a settled class action law suit. I had Apple check it out a few months ago when my display stopped working. I was hoping they'd fix it for free but they said my GPU was fine and it was just my display that was hosed.

So here I am, stuck with a slow rear end MBP with a broken display. FML.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

I've read a lot of complaints about the NVIDIA drivers in Lion, but I haven't seen any numbers to back it up. I also have no idea if it affects the 8600 series that you have.

Is this a clean install or an upgrade?

Haggins posted:

It's an upgrade. If it's really worth it to do a clean install I'll try it but I've read a few things where that didn't help. I cleaned up my start up programs and I've been keeping an eye on the activity monitor. Though Safari will spike a little, as far as I can tell, the only program I have a real issue is flash. However, that seems like mac wide problem. I've also tried every "speed trick" I could find from getting rid of unused programs to repairing permissions and so on.

Also about my GPU, it should be noted that it's the subject of a settled class action law suit. I had Apple check it out a few months ago when my display stopped working. I was hoping they'd fix it for free but they said my GPU was fine and it was just my display that was hosed.

So here I am, stuck with a slow rear end MBP with a broken display. FML.

So I just tried a clean install. Instead of wiping my HD I just made a 20gb partition and installed lion on it to test things. My display is now working fine. WHAT THE gently caress? Has this really been a software issue this whole time? I've been having intermittent display issues since last November and my display has been garbled and unusable for the last few months (I've been using a external monitor). Apple even told me I need a new display. Hopefully it's not a fluke and it's fixed now. I'd really like to use my laptop as a laptop.

As for the lovely performance, it's fine now and the fans have stopped but I won't be able to tell until I run something heavy like Aperture. Looks like I'll be spending my weekend installing software.

Update Edit: Switched back to my old partition where I didn't do the clean install. Everything is running a lot better now and Aperture is usable again. I wonder what the hell the clean install on the other partition did to fix the problem.

Haggins fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Sep 2, 2011

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

]To celebrate their entry into the app store Agile Bits is selling 1Password for $20, which is half off the normal price. This is one mac app I couldn't live without and I highly recommend checking out if you've never heard of it. My favorite feature is that it has a complementary iPhone app that syncs your passwords and stores them securely on your iPhone.

Also pro-tip I learned not too long ago: The hotkey to automatically log into web pages is "CMD \" .

Haggins fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Sep 8, 2011

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

frogbs posted:

1password is a great program, especially for $20, but Agile Bits has done a terrible job so far updating 1Password for Lion. Half the time I go to use 1Password (I usually use CMD \ as well) it doesn't fill anything and I have to go find my username/password manually. This is on a computer where before they update to 3.8 and changed all the browser plugins everything worked fine. I also hate the new ui for the browser plugins. It also hasn't saved a few passwords despite me hitting the SAVE button. Its a great program, just be wary of it right now! Check out there forums to see what others are saying as well http://forum.agilebits.com/index.php?/forum/14-1password-for-mac-browser-extensions/

What browser are you using? I use Safari and right after I upgraded to Lion, it stopped working. A couple days later they added some kind of beta fix and it changed the interface. It didn't work well and it wouldn't save most of my passwords. After a few more days there was an update that fixed all the problems and it's been working as well as it used to. It's now to the point where I actually prefer the new interface. Is 1P on it's newest version?

Haggins fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Sep 9, 2011

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

A guy I do books and some light IT work for needs to run a few odd engineering programs in Windows. I've long stopped running Windows myself and I'm not sure if I should go with VMware or Parallels or something else. He won't need to run any games or anything crazy and the easier to use the better. Which should I get?

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Accipiter posted:

What's wrong with VirtualBox?

Never heard of it. I'm up for anything really but I don't mind buying anything either.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Is there any reason to not import them to the iPhoto library?

Or maybe more to the point, I've read that photos in the iPhoto library are selectable in any system-wide Open dialogue. Is that true?

No, and yes. iPhoto is great tool for photo management and editing and there really isn't anything better unless you get into professional tools like Lightroom and Aperture.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

fancyclown posted:

I think I will spend at most 2500 SEK (swedish krona) ~$375-390. T7600 + SanDisk Extreme 240GB SSD + Kingston SO DIMM 200-pin DDR2 667 MHz / PC2-5300

I have no idea what you would get for my iMac with a 2.0GHz Intel Core Duo cpu.

For Mountain Lion you'll need a mid 2007 iMac. A quick search on ebay I see the 20" model for $600 (excluding shipping cost from United Kingdom) and on a swedish site I can find the 24" for $860. But those do not have a SSD which is included in my spending budget for an upgrade.

That seems like a lot of money to throw into a 7 year old computer. Seems like a waste.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

fleshweasel posted:

Yeah, this is a slight exaggeration, but just double check the instructions and don't shuffle your feet on shag carpet or something while you're working.

Not only that but make sure you discharge yourself on a piece of metal periodically. ESD is worse in the winter with low humidity.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

I just moved into a new place and my 27 inch iMac is now going to be in my bedroom. I don't have a TV in the bedroom so I'd like to use it for watching stuff. Mostly stuff off the internet like the Apple TV does, but I also have cable if there is a good option for that. My iMac is the late 2013, the first without a dvd drive.

Is there some type of good overlay software out there, kinda like how front row was? I'd also like to be able to control it from the bed. I'm guessing an apple remote won't work since I'm not sure if I have an IR port. Is there something on the iPhone/iPad I could use?

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Thanks, I'll start messing around and see what sticks. I might also look into getting an app that lets me AirPlay from the phone to the iMac.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

edit: wrong thread

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

I gotta run goddamn windows for school. I need it for MS Project. I haven't had windows installed on my mac for years and I'm wondering what's the best solution in this day and age? I will probably make a boot camp partition (maybe I'll put some games on it too) but I'd like run it in the background of OSX. What's the best current software?

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

I need to run MS project for school starting next week, so I just picked up copy of windows. Right now I only care about running MS project and it's the only piece of software I want to run. I'm planning to pick up either VMware Fusion or Parallels (not sure which yet).

How can I minimize the space required to do this? Ideally, I'd love to just run this off an external drive or maybe a thumbdrive. Is that possible?

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

beefnoodle posted:

How long is the project duration? If a month or less, signup for a trial Azure account and run Project on a Windows VM in ~the cloud~ connected by Remote Desktop.

I'm actually getting my masters in project management so I'm sure I'll be needing it for awhile. Though, you may be on to something. I have a iMac at home with enough space to spare. Then again I'm probably not going to be hurting too bad on the MBP since I got a 512 and most of my big files are gonna live on the iMac.

Haggins fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Nov 6, 2015

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

I haven't really used windows in like 7 years, but it was refreshing when switching to the mac that I didn't have to worry about getting apps for every little thing. Like if I wanted to burn a CD, I'd have to get Nero. If I wanted to basic hard drive maintenance, I'd have to buy a Symantec something. Need to scan something? Need an app. Hell, for a long time if I just wanted to look at a photo, I'd need an app.I'm sure it's better now a days though.

Sure some of the stuff is too basic for power users, but most of the stuff covers 90% of the use cases.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

GokieKS posted:

...what? Windows Photo Viewer has been around since XP (though it was called Windows Picture and Fax Viewer then), and that was nearly a decade and a half ago.

Yeah I guess I'm thinking of the old 95/98/NT days. I just remember having to installing ACDSee all the drat time.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Command + Space then start typing the name of the app has never failed me and is way quicker than anything I've used. On the infrequent occasions I can't remember the name of the app I'm looking for, I'll open up finder and click on Applications on the side bar and browse.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

NeuralSpark posted:

Shift-Command-A doesn't require you to take your hands off the keyboard :smug:

Sweet. Mac shortcuts are the best.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

I have/had an iMac for awhile now and I recently picked up a MBP. I set up the MBP as a new machine and I like how I could use my iCloud log on as my computer password so I turned the feature on my old iMac. Before I set up the feature on the iMac, I changed my iCloud password. I can now log into my iMac with my iCloud password and it works well for the most part, however each time I log in, I keep getting requests for keychain access. Like this:

and

There are like 3 or 4 of them and they won't go away when I enter my current iCloud password. They only disappear when I use my old password. How can I fix this?

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

I changed my iCloud password about 3 days ago and am glad I'm not alone in endless iCloud login prompts that never go away.

I guess I'll try a clean installation after finals.

Meh I hope I don't have to do that. What's your plan? Format then back up from time machine?

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Perfect! That ended up working well with one slight modification. When I launched keychain access it was already unlocked so I had to hit the lock in the top left corner. I then hit it again to unlock and it prompted me for a password change (had to enter my old password then I put in my new iCloud password).

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

I have no problems playing Fallout 4 with high settings on my iMac (in bootcamp) but I just launched Word 2016 (on the mac side) and it literally bounced in the dock 30 times before launching.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

I'm having a real concerning issue with iCloud drive. As of recent, anytime I save a file to it, I can't open it back up. I get a message "The document “(null)” could not be opened." It seems to affect every app (word, excel, pages, numbers, scrivener). Older files that I put on there seem to work fine, it's just limited to anything new.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

No issues here either

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Any suggestions on good, but pricey productivity software to buy? The reason I ask is because I'm getting my masters right now and work is paying for it. Each time I take a class I have the ability to get up to $150 reimbursed for books/software. Since all my books for the classes are available as ebooks (something the school does) I just buy software that I could use/ potentially use for school.

So far I bought:
Omnigraffle (actually use this a lot)
Omniplan (taking project management)
Fantastical
Scrivener
Parallels and Windows

I already own iWork and omnifocus. I'm not looking to spend it for the sake of spending it, but if there are any other good apps I'm forgetting about, I'd like to get them while I can.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Is APSF working for fusion drive macs yet? I was finally able to get High Sierra but it didn’t give me an option to switch. I tried doing it in recovery mode, but the convert option is greyed out. I just turned off file vault too.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Just didn't know if there was something I wasn't doing right. I had to wait forever to upgrade to HS and I just assumed it was because of my fusion drive. Did Apple just give up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

BobHoward posted:

Why did you have to wait?

No idea, it wouldn't let me upgrade until like 3 weeks ago. Maybe I was doing something wrong but I keep everything updated on the app store at least once a week. I even had a few security updates between the first release and when I was able to upgrade. I assumed it was held back because of the fusion issue.