Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Softcox
Jul 13, 2004

But I will not hesitate.
Not for a second.
I just got a free licence for Sparrow Mail but I've already paid for it. First person to reply with "I LOVE DICKS" gets a copy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Softcox
Jul 13, 2004

But I will not hesitate.
Not for a second.

Mu Zeta posted:

I LOVE DICKS

AND PUSSY

Well that's kind of cheating but whatever. Sent you a PM!

Softcox
Jul 13, 2004

But I will not hesitate.
Not for a second.
Takes a bit of getting used to coming from Apple Mail but holy crap it works better with Gmail labels etc. The gestures are super nice too.

(no I don't work for them or anything)

Softcox
Jul 13, 2004

But I will not hesitate.
Not for a second.

brc64 posted:

For some reason I haven't figured out, occasionally Apple Mail will open and tell me I've got mail (duplicating the unread count from Sparrow in the dock). Is there something I need to do to tell Apple Mail to gently caress off? It doesn't happen often, so I almost wonder if I'm accidentally doing something to launch it...

That's very odd. Does it just open in the main window, or composing a message?

Softcox
Jul 13, 2004

But I will not hesitate.
Not for a second.
So I actually won two copies of Sparrow in that giveaway, I thought the email I got was duplicated but I won with both the email addresses I submitted! Who wants the other licence?

Softcox
Jul 13, 2004

But I will not hesitate.
Not for a second.

FistLips posted:

Sure! ajakobsen at gmail dot com

Edit: I was actually just scrolling down this page thinking "I wonder if that Sparrow-thing is as good as people are saying it is? Maybe I should check what it costs?"

How serendipitous :allears: Sent you an email!

Softcox
Jul 13, 2004

But I will not hesitate.
Not for a second.

Choadmaster posted:

I have no problems whatsoever with Mail and my Gmail accounts (my emails even get deleted properly, I don't know why they wouldn't...?). However, since so many people seem to recommend it, I'm willing to give it a try... Can you Sparrow-recommenders answer a few questions for me?

Their site claims it handles multiple accounts (the first thing I checked). How does it do it? Is it Mail-style with a unified inbox/trash/drafts and the separate lists of folders (er.. labels) for each account, or is each completely separate?

Can you make local mailboxes (like the "on my mac" section in Mail)? If so, can it import these from Mail?

Does it support nested labels (like a typical imap folder heirarchy)? I've been using Mail and have a lot of email in a lot of nested labels, will there be any problems when I with (their FAQ seemed to indicate issues with imap path prefixes in labels).

Thanks...

No idea about the IMAP folders part of this but unified inbox is an option you can disable/enable. It shows at the top of list but you can switch to your individual accounts below.

See here: http://imgur.com/a/2Lcxb (two Gmail accounts and one MobileMe)

Softcox
Jul 13, 2004

But I will not hesitate.
Not for a second.
Are there any downsides to running standard Lion (non-server) on a Mac Mini Server? I'm doing it right now and everything seems ok. If you try to install it from scratch it says you cannot install on this hardware, but I swapped the hard drive from my Mac Faux and it's working fine. Just wondering if the ghost of Steve Jobs will kill me for doing this...

Softcox
Jul 13, 2004

But I will not hesitate.
Not for a second.

japtor posted:

I'd be worried about whatever hacks you needed to do to the installation to get it working on your hackintosh possibly conflicting down the line. If you had a regular Lion installation it should be fine if it's 10.7.2, assuming it's a merged release. And any reason you need a regular Lion install rather than Server, or just so you can swap drives without doing anything else?

I know there were exactly two modified system files (AppleHDA & AppleRTC kexts) and I rolled those back to stock ones so no problem there. The mini actually worked fine even with those modded files which was surprising. And yes the only reason is that I have Lion set up perfectly and would rather not spend hours setting stuff up again.

I'm just hoping there are no hardware checks added at some point in the future that would freak out with standard Lion on a server :gonk:

Softcox
Jul 13, 2004

But I will not hesitate.
Not for a second.

wanderlost posted:

Something changed with the way you control copying/overwriting files in Lion.

I have a Mac Mini running as a Media Center in my house. There is a large drive on my home network that the mini scans and indexes for content. I use a Macbook Air as my primary machine, and frequently download movies or other content at school or while traveling. For the last few years, whenever I get home, I plug in my Air, and drag all the content I've downloaded to the Network drive.

Before I updated to Lion, if I selected 25 files, 5 of which are already on the drive, I'd have the option to move the remaining 20 files to the drive, without touching the 5 already in place.

After updating, that option is gone, replaced by a keep both copies button. In the above case, selecting it would copy 25 files, with the 5 duplicates being renamed accordingly.

How do I get this original behavior back? I can get around this most of the time by sorting by date, but I'd like to go back to what I'm familiar with, if possible.

Try holding option at the copy dialog

Softcox
Jul 13, 2004

But I will not hesitate.
Not for a second.

lol internet. posted:

Am I doing something wrong?

I am trying to setup a global hot key so when I press Command Alt + K it launches/brings forth the KeePassX Window.

I don't think you can do global shortcuts like that, although I may be wrong. BetterTouchTool lets you do this and you don't have to use any of gestures/mouse stuff if you don't want.

Softcox
Jul 13, 2004

But I will not hesitate.
Not for a second.

wwb posted:

Any good options for iSCSI initiators on Lion? Looks like globalSAN is now $99. And the performance I'm getting from the trial version is poo poo.

Posted a question at http://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/33655/which-iscsi-initiator-should-i-use-on-lion if someone wants to points whore.

Well you listed the only two options as far as I'm aware. I bought globalSAN to use with a QNAP NAS but there's a bug limiting read speeds to 500KB/s in some situations (mine unforunately!). Support have been helpful but it's still not working properly.

Xtend is more pricey too I think

Softcox
Jul 13, 2004

But I will not hesitate.
Not for a second.

Martytoof posted:

So now that globalSAN is a paid product, are there any free iSCSI initiators that work with Lion?

Why can't they just build this into the OS already? :(

Unless anything came out in the last month there isn't. It's globalSAN or xtend which is $$$$$ :smith:

Softcox
Jul 13, 2004

But I will not hesitate.
Not for a second.
Do you mean Folders Factory from the Mac App Store? That's what I have used.

Softcox
Jul 13, 2004

But I will not hesitate.
Not for a second.

SimpleCoax posted:

I want to archive a few hundred GB of simulation results I have. On Windows I would have used WinRAR and QuickPAR to compress and store them with parity information. What is my equivalent on OS X, or the best way to do this on OS X?

Not sure if you know but RARs can use inbuilt recovery data (set to a percentage you want) which is pretty much the same as parity files.

Softcox
Jul 13, 2004

But I will not hesitate.
Not for a second.

dexter6 posted:

Has anyone found that assigned spaces aren't respected?

I'm finding Office is the worst culprit (surprise surprise). I have Word, Excel and Powerpoint all assigned to their own spaces. The first spreadsheet usually goes to that space, but subsequent ones open up in whatever space has current focus.

It's annoying as hell.

This used to happen constantly in Snow Leopard with Office 2008 for me. The toolbox always opened in the wrong space which was especially annoying :argh: it happens less in Lion but it's still a pain.

Softcox
Jul 13, 2004

But I will not hesitate.
Not for a second.
How do I stop Spotlight showing "Developer" results? I just use Spotlight as an app launcher and all this other crap (html, py files for example) keeping showing up too. There's no Developer category in the prefs to uncheck.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Softcox
Jul 13, 2004

But I will not hesitate.
Not for a second.

chimz posted:

Add /Developer (and/or Xcode.app) to your Spotlight privacy list in System Preferences. It might cut down on some of the stuff that Xcode installs.

I have a Developer category in my Spotlight prefs.

There is no /Developer folder, I have the latest xcode installed from App Store. Seems like everything is contained within Xcode.app these days.

Softcox
Jul 13, 2004

But I will not hesitate.
Not for a second.

wolffenstein posted:

Then ignore Xcode.app.

I can do this but any other html/py/etc. files anywhere else on the file system still show up

Softcox
Jul 13, 2004

But I will not hesitate.
Not for a second.
Anyone else on ML have a problem with Finder not updating the contents of a folder if they are modified through another application? For example I have a folder called Storage on a volume called Incoming

If I do "touch /Volumes/Storage/Incoming/test" nothing will appear inside Finder until I create an empty folder and delete it on the same volume. As soon as that happens the test file will appear. Likewise after deleting the test file through terminal it still there in Finder. Also happens when using Automator/Services to move files around.

Only happens on one volume (internal 500GB HDD) which is really odd. Internal SSD boot drive is unaffected as is an external Firewire drive.

I actually wrote an Applescript that creates a new folder and deletes it immediately to "refresh" Finder which is a lovely workaround!

Softcox
Jul 13, 2004

But I will not hesitate.
Not for a second.

in_cahoots posted:

I had the same problem- I could see files in iterm but not finder. Resetting the PRAM and repairing disk permissions seems to have fixed it, but it could be a coincidence.

I just erased the volume and copied the data back on using CCC and now it's fixed. Very weird but glad it's working!

Softcox
Jul 13, 2004

But I will not hesitate.
Not for a second.
For anyone who uses OS X Server, version 2.2 came out and actually added some cool stuff :toot:

Time Machine actually shows what's being backed up now!

And there's a new caching service for App Store updates

Softcox
Jul 13, 2004

But I will not hesitate.
Not for a second.

Small White Dragon posted:

Has anyone had problems with items in the menubar not updating? Often times, the clock is out of date and I have to click on it to see the real time. Which sucks.

FWIW, this is on a Retina MBP running the latest version of ML.

Yep, same thing on my 2011 i7 Mini running 10.8.2. If you run "killall SystemUIServer" in Terminal it fixes it for a while but craps out again a few hours later.

Softcox
Jul 13, 2004

But I will not hesitate.
Not for a second.

~Coxy posted:

Got a weird thing happening on the gf's Mac.
Lately the system time (in the menubar, etc.) has started falling behind.

Going into Sys Prefs and presumably forcing a ntp sync obviously fixes it.

Anyone seen this before?
Is there a way to make ntp sync more often?

Is the time still updating at all? My menu bar clock "freezes" randomly and running "killall SystemUIServer" fixes it temporarily... or is your problem different?

Softcox
Jul 13, 2004

But I will not hesitate.
Not for a second.
:siren: Further Anecdotal Evidence :siren:

This procedure completely fixed my Windows 7 install refusing to even enumerate the list of SMB shares on my Mac Mini. Previously it would just say user/pass incorrect, now it connects properly each time. Not sure if this only affects people running OS X Server or not though.

Softcox
Jul 13, 2004

But I will not hesitate.
Not for a second.

Bob Morales posted:

MY GIRLFRIEND has a 2008 Unibody MacBook, I installed Mavericks and it runs much better than it did before, but it had an old crusty 10.5 install.

Jump up to at least 4GB RAM if you haven't already.

MY GIRLFRIEND also has a 2008 unibody non-Pro, as do I, and I can vouch for the 4GB being needed in Mavericks. Both MacBooks have SSDs but mine is 4GB vs 2GB in hers and even for just Chrome/Mail usage etc there's definitely a difference.

Softcox
Jul 13, 2004

But I will not hesitate.
Not for a second.

carry on then posted:

Anyone use either Leaf or ReadKit? I'm looking for a replacement for Reeder since the developer is dragging his feet with supporting Feedly, and both seem okay but I want to know if there's any major issues with either.

Been using Readkit with Feedbin for a few months now and I'm very happy with it. Slightly preferred Reeder but until it's updated ReadKit is fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Softcox
Jul 13, 2004

But I will not hesitate.
Not for a second.

Anyone seen this happen on High Sierra? This is from a 2015 MacBook Pro given to me with a fresh High Sierra install and that error shows when trying to enable FileVault. Tried restarting, setting a new password for my account but the same thing keeps popping up...