Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
I've been using a Lenovo x120e for the last 3 years and needed something better, so picked up a new late 2013 rMBP. It's pretty fantastic, but seems to have a much harder time with WiFi than my old one. It shows that I'm connected, but then times out loading pages. Is this a common rMBP thing or do I have a case to visit an Apple store? I'm posting this on my x120e as it's actually working.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
I am using a USB mp3 player (Sansa Clip) and looking for something to sync audio to it. On Windows I used MediaMonkey. I've got all my music in iTunes now, but while I could drag and drop files from it I'd like more control and automation. Is there anything good? My googling is failing me.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

Lexicon posted:

I can't resist asking - did you quantum leap here from 2004?

No smartphone, no need for one. Just need the simplest mp3 player possible and a Clip+ works for that, I did forget the + I guess!

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

BobHoward posted:

Blank what selection? Literally have no idea what feature you're talking about, need a little more context

My guess is he means if you have files selected in finder you can't press esc to unselect them. I'm a Mac newbie so no idea if that's an old feature.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

They've already cranked out 7 betas for 10.9.3.

Unrelated: but can anyone recommend a good flashcard app that sync between OS X and iOS? I know it's a topic that comes up infrequently either here or the iOS app thread, but I can't recall what the usual recommendations are.

Anki

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
Is there any undelete software that actually does something? I moved images from my friend's SD card (possibly with cut & paste thanks to XtraFinder, I'm not sure) onto my hard drive and then went through and deleted the ones I didn't like. It was then that I realised that I had no images left on the SD card and my friend isn't too happy as there are only 200 of the original 500 images left. Any suggestion for something either for the FAT32 SD card, or the Mac SSD. I'm on Mavericks if that makes any difference.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

pipebomb posted:

Here are two betacoins for Mailbox. Please to be passing along the 3 you get to others in need, during these hard times.

https://db.tt/GECUvkZ5
https://db.tt/f0XeDts9

snakeater posted:

Grabbed the top one, thanks!

Edit:

Here are the three coins I got -

Coin 1
Coin 2
Coin 3

All of these seem to have been claimed... or I don't understand how to use them. Hope someone posts another!

edit : Though just installing the app got me another 1GB on my dropbox account, so that's nice

Sad Panda fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Aug 20, 2014

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

pipebomb posted:

It should Prompt you to drag the image into the intro screen...

OK, then they're all taken.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
Got myself a Mailbox betacoin and passing on the love

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/952508/coin147478.gif
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/952508/coin147479.gif
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/952508/coin147480.gif

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
I have used xtraFinder to improve Finder (coming from Windows I wanted things like cut & paste and enter to open instead of rename) but have somehow managed to edit things a bit more than I wanted. I uninstalled xtraFinder and it's still there.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/952508/1.jpg
That's what happens if I double click a folder, I get the sidebar

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/952508/2.jpg
If I just press command + n or command + t to open a new window when finder is open, it looks like that. Without the sidebar. How do I get that back on all windows I open?

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

Mu Zeta posted:

What is the advantage of Safari then? I try it out once in a while but see no reason to switch.

I think it's more energy efficient than Chrome. Whenever I open up activity monitor Chrome is always high on the energy impact list

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
I only have an MBP not a phone, and am using Mailbox. It seems to work just fine, to show me my emails in my two accounts in a standalone app so I don't have to open the Gmail page any more. Is there any reason I should change to Airmail? It seems pretty, but I"m not sure what is so wonderful about it.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
Does anyone know how I can code something to check if my internet is working (ping something every few minutes?) and then if it's not, turn off and re-turn on the WiFi? The hostel I'm staying in seems to have a terrible router and every 20-30 minutes my connection drops. It seems that turning my wifi off and back on again seems to work, but I'd like to be able to get something to do it automatically rather than doing it manually.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

kode54 posted:

Reminder that Movist did what MPlayerX was unwilling to do to dodge sandbox restrictions to remain up to date on the App Store. Of course, Movist actually costs money, but not much, and still continues to be updated.

Thanks for the suggestion. I just downloaded it to try it out, and am happy that it has dual subtitle support (great for language learning) and seems much more customisable than MPlayerX did.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

Bob Morales posted:

Does Biolab Disaster run like total crap for anyone else? It works fine on my iPad Retina, but it lags like crazy on my brand new late 2013 rMBP 13"

http://playbiolab.com

Safari 8.0, Yosemite 10.10.1

Works perfectly in Chrome on the same computer.

Safari on a 2013 rMBP and when I shoot things so they explode it's stuttery

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

spongeworthy posted:

I think so, but I'm on my established home network wifi and have no saved networks from hotels or Starbucks. Little Snitch caught the outgoing connection attempts..

When I noticed it a couple of days ago, it seemed like it was perfectly safe and just Apple testing your connection. Why they don't just ping apple.com or something is beyond me!

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
I don't know if this belongs here, or elsewhere so feel free to tell me where it should go!

I'm trying to download some pdfs from a website and there are about 300 so doing it by hand is a pain. I tried using SiteSucker to download them, but it's failing for some reason.

The files are located in

code:
http://www.fpoe.at/fileadmin/Content/portal/NFZ/YY/nfzNNYY.pdf
The YY varies from 05 to 14 (2005-2014) and the NN goes from 01-52, but they don't each have 52 pdfs.

I tried googling for automated downloading with a mask, but get nothing. I've got a Parallels Windows install if there's something there that'd be easier.

edit : With a bit of SublimeText magic I made a txt file with 520 urls and I'm feeding that into wget.

Sad Panda fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jan 12, 2015

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

Parts Kit posted:

This is super stupid but is there any way to duplicate middle click->open new tab functionality on the trackpad for firefox?

I'm pretty sure like 50% of the clicking I do online is middle clicking and not being able to do it is driving me nuts. Right click then clicking the option in the menu just takes SO LONG UGHH.

As suggested, Better Touch Tool. That's why I downloaded it in the first place, and it works wonderfully.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
Is Google Maps really quite slow with a very high energy impact for everyone? I'm on the latest OS X on my 2013 rMBP and I sometimes see a number of up to 200, which is just ridiculous compared with for example most pages using 10-15.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
Anyone else not that fond of El Capitan and SIP? I liked XtraFinder. As someone who came from Windows, being able to press enter to open a file is just natural. I don't see why cmd + o is somehow a better option. I also want my folders back to the top of the list.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

wolffenstein posted:

Command + O is a better option from a security standpoint. Like requiring icons to be double-clicked, Command + O ensures at least two inputs are needed to launch an application that could possibly be malicious. It gives the user time to pause mid-action to realize the selected item may not be what they want.

Path Finder does folders before everything else and still works great in El Capitan.

Thanks for the tip, a quick Google suggests that things are not all rosy with Path Finder 7.1.5/7.2 and El Capitan causing the system to hang but if that gets fixed then maybe it's a future option. I'll try it out and see how it goes!

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
I just watched a film on Netflix & Firefox. My battery was 80%+ and it plummeted with my fan going rather noisy. I'm on a 2013 rMBP and when I loaded activity monitor it said that the energy was north of 300. Is that normal? It seems insanely high and like my battery wouldn't last a whole movie. I barely use Netflix so I'd never noticed it before.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

flosofl posted:

Chrome is also poo poo.

Always use Safari unless there's a legitimate technical reason you can't.

I use Firefox because it allows me to use Hola and therefore make Netflix think that I'm in France. This is great for me as I'm studying French. Hola is only available for Firefox & Chrome.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
Is there any way to lock the order of spaces on El Capitan? I am using two desktops, and a third one which is Parallels Desktop running Excel because Mac Excel is garbage with macros. I'd like the order to be desktop 1, parallels, desktop 2, so I set it like that. It's fine and I can swipe left and right. Then I Alt + Tab to a window and the spaces get re-organised so the two desktops go together and parallels is to the right. So annoying.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

TACD posted:

Have you unchecked the 're-order Spaces according to recent use' option in Settings?

Thank you! I didn't even know that was an option. It's turned off and I look forward to it working properly.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

Dick Trauma posted:

After 30 years of using Macs I want to use the Empty Trash shortcut on every computer I touch. Even PCs. CMD-SHIFT-DELETE! :hellyeah:

Or just set up an Alfred shortcut for empty trash.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
I'm on El Capitan and having a few issues.
1. Safari lists no extensions and refuses to install any, even though CleanMyMac lists them all and says they're disabled. Telling it to enable them does nothing. I am also unable to install extensions as attempting to do so leads to it looking like it installed, but then nothing being listed.
2. googleadservices popup galore
3. Sophos Anti-Virus Home can't install. It goes into the installation process, almost finishes and then tells me it has failed.

I've run Malwarebytes scanner and it finds nothing. I'm going a little crazy.

edit : The googleadservices popup are across Firefox, Safari and Chrome. I even wiped my whole Safari profile and it comes up still.

Sad Panda fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jan 14, 2016

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

I Am Crake posted:

I brought a brand new 2015 rMBP a couple of weeks ago and it crashes at least twice a week, usually when using Safari. It completely freezes, the touch pad doesn't 'force click' anymore. If music is playing it will continue but no buttons respond at all and the only way to get back up and running is holding the power button down.

This is pissing me off completely and I hate that I spent over 1500 euros on a laptop that is crashing way more than my 6 year old Windows machine that it replaced.

Have any of you had the same issue, and what did you do to fix it?

I have something similar on my 2013 but it's much less frequent, more like once every few months. For me if I close and open the lid it kicks it out of its funk and works again. Temporary solution to try if it happens again.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
I'm planning on wiping my hard drive and reinstalling OS X from scratch. I've been on a Mac for almost 3 years but this would be my first time doing it. I'm going through now and backing up things to my external hard drive (I've got a Time Machine backup, but this is a bit different) and am looking for advice on what I need to back up. For example, the <user name>/Library folder, that is basically settings right? So unless I mind setting preferences then there's no need to back that up? As far as applications, do I just backup the whole Applications folder? I'm used to Windows where I've got a pile of installers downloaded and ninite to run after a fresh wipe.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
When I study French, I close all my programmes, open up the specific few that I want to study French and position them as I like them to be done. Is there some way that I can do in some automated way? Opening programme a, b + c on space 1 in certain positions, and then d + e on space 2 in another configuration?

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

maskenfreiheit posted:

I have a grandfathered T-Mobile Bingeon plan, so I can get infinite 480p no matter. what.

And lately it seems like places that advertise it can handle Netflix. (Ironically the fancier hotels seem more likely to split into a low speed/high speed or constantly drop connections)

Also, Netflix and Amazon Prime both allow downloading to your device now. (Though not for the entire catalog :()

But that's downloading to phone right? I loaded it up on my rMBP a while back and couldn't see an option to download. Would be nice if I'm wrong.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
I don't know if this is a software thing, or a hardware honestly. I'm on a Macbook Pro 2013 13" and the HDMI really doesn't seem like it wants to work. It always worked when I was at home, I'm now travelling and it doesn't seem to work. I'm not home until the end of October where I 100% know that it should work. As it is, I plug the HDMI cable in and it doesn't display but does lead to some form of slowdown for a while before working again.

I'm using HDMI cables that definitely work with other things (TV boxes of all sorts). I've tried holding the option key down and pressing detect displays, but it did nothing. I reset SMC (I think but there was no way to know for certain). I used the combo update.

Help!

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
Alternatively, Alfred has an option of eject and eject all. Very fast and less learning required.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
Related to that, I have a late 2013 that got a screen replacement before. There was an obvious line across the screen that matched up with the small ridge at the bottom of the keyboard. When I look again, that line is there again. Is that related to 'stain gate'? I ask because on that macrumors page someone says "Are you sure this issue doesn't affect new MBPs? Because some users on the forum said they had minor keyboard marks on the antireflective coating of their 2016 MBP." which makes me think of this as also the left command key seems to have a corresponding mark.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
Is there software that I can use to set a mode on my computer, and then it'll load a preset group of applications and position them on my screen as I like? I ask because for example I'm learning python coding and so have my copy of Learn Python the Hard Way open in ebook viewer on the left half of my space, a copy of Sublime Text covering maybe 60-70% of the other half and then the terminal at the bottom of the right half. Instead of manually sorting that out, I'd love an automated way.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

jaegerx posted:

Spectacles can do this. Maybe not automatically but I’m sure you can find a window manager like it that’ll do it. Try spectacles first. It’s all key strokes to manage your windows. There’s a few others. Google tiling window manager.

JamesOff posted:

I don’t think it will do the launching bit, but have a look at Moom.

Thank you for the ideas!

I created an Alfred workflow to load the book, Sublime Text and terminal in the right folder; I had already set OS X to make them always open on Desktop 1. Finally, I created a layout in Moom and a shortcut to put the 3 windows as I like them. Life is good.

My only question, is there a way to make Alfred send apps to a specific desktop rather than setting it by the dock option as I did?

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
My first time playing with Samba. I've set up Samba on my Pi, and am trying to access it through OS X. I don't know if this issue is OS X related or Samba related.

1. In Finder - Shared, I see my raspberrypi and a folder called films that I've setup. However, clicking on the films folder shows nothing. If I double click it it says "The operation can’t be completed because the original item for “Films” can’t be found."
2. If I use Connect to Server, put in smb://192.168.1.123 it tells me that I'm attempting to connect to the server, I tell it to connect as Guest, press connect, it shows me Films as a volume to mount, I select it and it says "There was a problem connecting to the server 192.168.1.123"

In smb.conf I have

code:
[Films]
comment = Films
path = /media/usb1/films
Browseable = yes
Writeable = Yes
Guest ok = yes
create mask = 0777
directory mask = 0777
read only = no
Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Even if it's just to go and post this in the Pi thread.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
Why does OS X have Python built into it? I've tried googling, but can't find much beyond 'there are some dependencies'. What are they?

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

Proteus Jones posted:

Some of the system processes and tools rely on it.

You can safely ignore the OS X version of python, even if you want install a different version.

Oh I've got Python 3.7 and am happily using it. I was just curious as a friend was trying to use it as an example of why he doesn't like Macs, which makes no sense to me. I am however curious why Apple decide to write system processes in Python rather than a lower-level alternative.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
The recovery mode of OS X is built into the SSD right? So when I replace my SSD I need to use a USB to install High Sierra back on? Would an SD card work as I've got one of those round but not a thumb drive. It seems like it should, but I'd rather ask dumb questions now than have a broken Mac.

https://setapp.com/how-to/how-to-clean-install-macos-high-sierra explains a way of getting it, is that the best way?