Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

Petey posted:

You know I wasn't really having too many issues at the beginning. But it looks like Lion doesn't play nicely with non-upgraded and non-Migrated accounts.

This is a mess.

Man, I'm glad to say I don't have any of your problems despite doing a clean install and hand-migrating my data. In fact, with a few exceptions (that I can live with) I'm finding Lion quite usable.

The exceptions:
1) poo poo gets stuck in the "Favorites" section of the Finder sidebar. By which I mean, I try to drag it off to get rid of it and it just swoops right back. Sometimes right click - "Remove from Sidebar" works, and sometimes right clicking doesn't even bring up a contextual menu at all (???). Fortunately, someone posted a workaround online: hold command-option while dragging the item off will remove it for sure.

2) While we're on the subject of the Finder sidebar, I prefer to have my drives listed first. This used to be the way it was done, but in Lion, Apple moved the Devices section to the bottom. The sections should be re-orderable. This is a minor issue though.

3) Spotlight is loving stupid, and no longer pulls up apps in order of "most recently used." This means if I command-space and type "utility", I get "Microsoft Database Utility" on top (which I have never even opened!) rather than "Disk Utility" (which I open a lot). If I type "disk", I get "Disk Inventory X" despite not having used that in months.

4) Full disk encryption doesn't work on software RAIDs. That's not really a huge surprise to me, but Lion is too goddamn stupid to check before attempting to turn on encryption on a software RAID, so I had to spend some time figuring out why it kept starting to encrypt my Time Machine backups and then failing with a nondescript error message.

5) There seems to be no way to lock an encrypted internal drive once you've unlocked it short of rebooting the machine. They can be unmounted, but they can be mounted again without having to re-enter the password so long as the machine isn't rebooted in the mean time. What the gently caress?

6) Quicktime seems to keep ahold of files even after you've closed them. If I'm in my room watching a tv show that's on my media center Mini over the network, I can close the window when it's done and any attempt to unmount the share from the Mini will eventually give me an error saying some app is still using files on that share. Quit Quicktime altogether and the problem goes away.

7) As someone noted, CS5 runs fine without crashing, but is sometimes inexplicably slow. I tried to open ten images at once in Photoshop earlier today and it took about a minute (shouldn't take more than ten or fifteen seconds). Fortunately that's not something I do too often.

Edit: 8) Not exactly a bug, just a stupid interface quibble. I opened a multipage PDF and noticed that Preview has been changed to show page thumbnails on the left rather than the right side. I actually preferred it on the right (putting the full-size content in the dominant position, at least for those of us who read left to right) but whatever, I can get used to the change, and every other sidebar is on the left so it does make sense at least. Then a few seconds later I Quicklooked the same PDF - the new Quicklook shows page thumbnails now too (yay) but on the right. Consistency? Who needs it?

Is anyone else having issue #3, or is it just me? Anyone know a fix? And if anyone knows a workaround for #5, that'd be nice to know too.

Choadmaster fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Aug 6, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

Shin-chan posted:

Command-Drag will remove stuff. This behavior was changed at some point back in Snow Leopard.

I didn't believe you, but I checked my Snow Leopard machine and you're right! I wonder when they changed that (kind of obnoxious, but I guess it keeps people with poor mousing skills from accidentally removing poo poo. Thanks for pointing that out.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

Jolan posted:

The only thing I still miss about Windows, after four happy years of MacOSX, is its built-in image viewer. Preview is annoying because you have to select all the images you want to see instead of opening one and just clicking a button to go to the next image in the folder, and it's pretty drat slow in saving rotated images, making processing a whole slew of holiday pictures a chore. Xee fixes the "folder contents browsing"-part, but the rotation doesn't seem to work.

Can anyone recommend me an app that combines folder contents browsing and quick lossless rotation?

Edit: know there's been talk about such apps earlier on this page, but I don't think the ones mentioned support rotation (unless I missed something).

I've always found gBrowser to be useful, even if it does seem to be permanently in beta. Also, it has some minor issues with Lion.

Anmitzcuaca posted:

On my computer running Lion at home, the new space button in Mission Control is on the left, but on the display macs where I work, the button is on the right hand side. Why is this and how do I change it?

Mine changes sides if I switch the dock from one side of the screen to the other (I never keep it on the bottom)... Could that be why you're having that happen?

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

You'll find Sparrow endorsements on almost every page of this thread, but mostly the fact that it actually uses Gmail's labels/archive/trash correctly. It seems to be a complete crapshoot for me with Mail.app.

If you're a heavy Gmail user, there's really no reason (other than being poor) to be using Mail.app over Sparrow. It was designed from the ground up as a Gmail app, and it shows.

I have no problems whatsoever with Mail and my Gmail accounts (my emails even get deleted properly, I don't know why they wouldn't...?). However, since so many people seem to recommend it, I'm willing to give it a try... Can you Sparrow-recommenders answer a few questions for me?

Their site claims it handles multiple accounts (the first thing I checked). How does it do it? Is it Mail-style with a unified inbox/trash/drafts and the separate lists of folders (er.. labels) for each account, or is each completely separate?

Can you make local mailboxes (like the "on my mac" section in Mail)? If so, can it import these from Mail?

Does it support nested labels (like a typical imap folder heirarchy)? I've been using Mail and have a lot of email in a lot of nested labels, will there be any problems when I with (their FAQ seemed to indicate issues with imap path prefixes in labels).

Thanks...

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

Ziploc posted:

Oops. I meant Filevault.

Anything I should know before turning it on?

I don't think you have to reformat, it should encrypt itself in the background once you turn it on.

Encryption doesn't work with software RAID setups; other than that (and the fact that you can't *lock* a drive once you've unlocked it), I've found it to be awesome.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I just noticed that Lion's autocorrect detects what language you are typing in! How long has this been the case? (Obviously pre-Lion we didn't have autocorrect, but there was spell check.)

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I decided to dive right in to natural scrolling, and after a few days it felt totally right. There are only two issues now: google maps, and using other peoples' computers. The latter is self-explanatory, but as to google maps, when scrolling to zoom in or out I always gently caress it up. I wish it could support pinch gestures (but if I try it just does safari's page zoom).

I don't like the hidden library folder, but at least that's an understandable change and is easily worked around.

Not showing the boot drive in Finder by default is probably a good idea (though the home folder should be there, IMO). I know too many people who just dump stuff there at the root level because "that's the hard drive where stuff goes!" That is one of many reasons I make sure to set up friends' and relatives' computers with a standard user account, and set up a separate not-for-everyday-use admin account. "If what you're doing requires the admin password, make drat sure it's something you should actually be doing!"

The thing I hate most about Lion is the scroll bars (or lack thereof) and app resume. Without scrolling, it is impossible to tell just how far through a document you are at a glance. Yes, I can turn on scroll bars permanently, but they're now a hideous half-assed mix between iOS ones and the old style. App resume is obnoxious as gently caress, but at least I can turn that off completely (with one big caveat*). When I open up some PDF instruction manuals to read in Preview and then quit when I'm finished, I don't need it to reopen all those instruction manuals when I try to view some jpeg three days later. What's worse, QuickTime Player seems to keep video files in "open" status when you quit it this way, such that I can quit QuickTime Player and then Lion will refuse to eject my media share because I have open files on it!

* The caveat: the Dock remembers recently opened documents that you can "resume" for each app that supports resume. This is separate from the app's "recent documents" menu item, such that you can clear the recent documents menu (or set the system preference to remember 0 recent documents) but the Dock menu will still show a list of all the documents you opened lately. I don't need loving QuickTime player to permanently show a list of por-- err, tv shows that I've been watching with no way whatsoever to clear it! It takes a bunch of terminal commands to reset and then disable this "feature," and you have to do it individually for every app affected (is apps that support resume).

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

Binary Badger posted:

:siren: Apple just released Safari v.5.1.2 via Software Update.

Great, no more white flashes.

Instead now it's flashing black.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

:bang: Someone tell me I'm just crazy.

Changing "Save as..." to "Duplicate" + "Save..." in Lion was, while in some conceptually abstract way logical, a stupid decision for all practical purposes. But I could live with it, at least.

Someone just sent me a Pages doc via email. Installed the Pages trial, opened the doc from the email, made some changes, and then wanted to save it to my desktop (since anything you open from Mail resides somewhere in the ~/Library/Mail/Mail Downloads/ folder or some such place). I open the File menu and this is my thought process:

Save as. Wher-- Oh right, Lion. It's Duplicate. Duplicate. Where the hell? What? gently caress you Apple, are you loving kidding me?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

In fact, that's exactly what I ended up doing. But I really wanted to save it to a new file anyway just to ensure it had actually saved all my changes... The "unsaved changes" dot was showing in the close button, even after I explicitly chose the save command. I wish I could trust this autosave garbage, but it does poo poo like that and I really don't feel like losing a half hour's work to some stupid glitch. Luckily, it was apparently saving okay.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

Crowley posted:

I'd use "Export.." for that. :shobon:

If only that could save a file in Pages format...

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

Those of you MacBook users who have dumped your optical drive in favor of an SSD+Optibay-syle setup, how the hell do you use Boot Camp? This would seem to me that it's no different than a MacBook Air... and lo, Apple seems to require MacBook Air users to use the external USB optical drive to use Boot Camp.

Is this correct? If so, it's ludicrous! I have a Windows 7 ISO image and an 8 GB USB stick, why the hell should I need to go buy an external optical drive?? (Even using another Mac's optical drive via Target Disk Mode doesn't seem to work.) How do you work around it? I thought I'd found one workaround, but it no longer works with the latest version of Boot Camp.

There's gotta be some way to do this and I'm just not putting the right search terms into Google, right?

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

bonzaisushi posted:

edit: Just realized you posted a link with pretty much the same thing. I did the install on my machine about 6 months ago and it worked without a hitch. I do remember that downloading bootcamp drivers to the windows side was a pain once i completed the install though.

Yeah, we tried rEFIt, along two different ways of getting the USB stick ready with the Windows install, and both just result in the message "no bootable device detected" (paraphrased, I don't remember the exact wording).

The first way we tried was from the link I gave; we made a Windows install disk out of the USB drive via some windows tool in one of my Windows VMs. Like I said, no worky. The second time, I did more googling as to why the gently caress Boot Camp Assistant wouldnt make a USB boot key for us, and discovered it only works on newer macs that have shipped without an optical drive like the newer Airs and he latest Mac Mini as the poster a bit above discovered (wouldn't want to make it too easy for the rest of us).

It just so happens I have one of those minis, so I was able to create a proper USB install disk using Boot Camp Assistant on the mini. However, that flash drive wouldn't boot the (latest gen!) MacBook Pro at all, not even with rEFIt as I said earlier. My mini boots off it just fine... We actually tried putting the laptop into target disk mode and connecting it to the mini, but Windows refuses to install to a FireWire-connected drive even though it sees it just fine!

So now we're back to square one, with no apparent way whatsoever to get this poo poo installed on the laptop short of physically opening it up and swapping drives around. It's loving ridiculous.

I'm tempted to try to clone one of my Windows VMs onto the Boot Camp partition. Does anyone know if that will work?

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

Crossbar posted:

I used this guide to get Windows running on my secondary drive using Parallels.

http://insidethebrackets.blogspot.com/2009/04/install-windows-on-macbook-air-with-no.html

This looks promising, if a pain in the rear end. We will give it a try tonight, thanks!

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

Anyone running Lion in a Parallels VM? Can you check and see if YouTube works for you?

I just spent about 12 hours setting one up for as a software testing area (much of that time consumed by a loving stupid Parallels bug that creates invalid drive images when doing the Lion install process) only to discover 2/3 of the way through my first round of testing today that Youtube just doesn't work. Flash works fine on other sites - Vimeo and Hulu work just fine (it even works fine on YouTube for displaying video ads) - but trying to play videos on YouTube just results in a the player showing a black background with random white flashes (Safari) or just a plain black box with no player at all (Firefox).

I've hosed around with every hardware setting Parallels offers and no combination of settings I tried changed this at all. I tried other versions of Flash (both 10.3 and the 11.2 beta) and it made no difference whatsoever.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

SpeakIng of screen sharing, does anyone have a good/easy solution to sharing the screen of a remote Mac behind a router? My friend wants to be able to log into his dad's iMac and do whatever maintenance needs to be done (software updates, etc.) without having to bother his dad about it (so iChat is out). We could of course set up port forwarding on the router, but there's still the issue of knowing his dad's current ip address. It would be nice if there were some simple, back-to-my-Mac-style way of doing it that would handle that poo poo automatically.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

Open Font Book and see if it can find any corrupt fonts or duplicates or what have you. That tends to cause problems that for some reason only show up in safari.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

Can anyone recommend an app that I can use to make some nice-looking charts and graphs for a brochure? Searched MacUpdate but didn't come up with anything that looked great.

Alternatively, Excel actually does a decent job of this, but if anyone knows of a way to export print-quality images of them from Excel (other than the somewhat obnoxious and imperfect print-to-PDF), that'd be awesome.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

Okay, I'm getting fed up with this... File sharing apparently blows in OS X, for many reasons. But the one that is pissing me off at the moment:

I have a drive, "Projects." It's shared, with permissions set such that it's only accessible with my login (so I can access my poo poo from other computers on the network). Permissions are 777 for me but nobody else.

Among its contents is a folder called (let's say) "Client X." I want to share the Client X folder openly. Permissions are 777 for everyone for this folder and its contents (now, stuff guests copy into here do not inherit these permissions, but that's a separate pain in the rear end).

The problem is, despite both folders being added as shares in the File Sharing prefs, and the permissions being displayed properly in the file sharing prefs, the "Client X" share NEVER SHOWS UP. If I make its parent folder, Projects, also world-readable and world-writeable, it will show up though (just making it read-only doesn't work). I don't want my entire Projects drive accessible on the network to everyone! How the gently caress am I supposed to share Client X publicly?

This is not because of the nested shares; if I stop sharing the Projects drive altogether, I still can't share "Client X" unless the Projects drive is world-read/writable. It also doesn't matter if I put Client X in a subfolder with those permissions, either. The drive itself has to be 777 for everyone in order for any of its contents to be shared with those permissions.

Is this how it's supposed to work? I'm not a networking guru or anything, so I don't know. All I know is it seems totally unreasonable and it's loving pissing me off.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

Wait. A file can't be '777 for you but nobody else'. Each number is for a different set of users:

sorry, I was pissed and ready late to work when I wrote that in a rush. But hopefully I got the gist of the problem across anyhow. I'm going to give Coxy's suggestion a try when I get home, but any other insights would still be appreciated.

Also (much less important) does anyone know if there's a way to convince Lion that a drive is internal rather than external? I have an SSD on a PCI card in my Mac Pro that shows up as an external drive, but I'd much rather it show as internal (if only to get the unnecessary eject button out of my Finder sidebar!).

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

And to contribute (in case anyone searches the thread for this issue, anyway, since I'm the only one who brought it up so far) I finally figured out what caused YouTube to not work in Parallels (and VMWare). You need to right-click the video, got to "Settings..." and disable hardware acceleration. The fun part is, Flash seems to have a bug in Lion that makes the settings box completely unresponsive unless you happen to have the video in full screen mode (hey Adobe, Lion's been public for six months now!) so remember to full-screen the video first.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

~Coxy posted:

My PCI-E card (RocketRaid 2320) with SATA disks shows as a SCSI RAID with an orange icon but non-ejectable.
What does yours appear as? (Which card is it?)

Mine appears just plain orange (no SCSI icon, which of course makes sense). As to what card it is, "cheapo supply-your-own-SSD no-name eBay special" :D. It was actually the only SATA III card I could find that promised it was bootable with the Mac Pro (and believe it or not, it does).

Haven't had a chance to try your file sharing advice yet, but thanks for it anyhow.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

~Coxy posted:

What I had to do was to make sure that the folder I wanted to share had +x on it.

This works! Well, I assume you meant the enclosing folder being +x, since the folder I was wanting to share obviously had it already. So I've given my "Projects" drive permissions of 771 instead of 770, and the enclosed "Client X" folder keeps its permissions of 777. Now "Client X" shows up as a share to guests.

The down side to this is that now the "Projects" drive also shows up as a share to guests (!?). They can't see any of the contents - they don't have permission to! - but it shows up in the list nonetheless. I don't like this extra bit of mess, but at least this poo poo works now.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

~Coxy posted:

Ah, I bet what would fix it is one of the ACHI kext patches that hackintosh owners often have to utilise.

Check out http://lnx2mac.blogspot.com/2010/08/fixing-orange-harddisk-icons.html
Using IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector on a real Mac is a bit of an odd case but I bet it'll work. (it's not a real kext.)

It worked! Can I buy you an upgrade to Platinum or something? You're fixing all my problems!

One more for everyone since I seem to be on a roll here: My wireless (Bonjour) Brother printer shows up in the Shared section of the Finder sidebar. This is terribly obnoxious, because not only is it useless (can't connect to it for file sharing even if I wanted to) but it's got the ugly name of brw0022593a996a. I haven't ever had any luck in finding a way to remove/hide it, and trust me, I've searched and searched. Anyone?

(Edit: I should note I don't want to just turn off Bonjour computers in the Finder sidebar prefs.)

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

japtor posted:

Checked if your printer has its own web page? I have a networked Brother (...which doesn't show up under the Shared sidebar) and I think the address shows up somewhere under the Print prefpane somewhere if you have it added there. Might have to open up the printer's "app" (more options or double click on something) then look around for an address there.

If you can get a page through that your printer should have some configuration options, which may include at least a name setting, if not some share thing. It may have a login/password set, just look around online for your printer model and default setting for that.

Another win! I had no idea the thing had additional settings from the web interface. (If anyone is curious, the default username/pass for most Brother printers is "admin" and "access".)

To change the name displayed in the Finder sidebar, I just had to change the "Node name" in the Network settings. Of course, I didn't want it there at all, so I played around for a while disabling various services until I found the right ones: turning off NetBIOS and LLMNR did the trick . Hasn't caused any issues with using the printer as far as I can tell.

Thanks, captor.

Edit: Forgot I left some other stuff off!

Choadmaster fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Jan 28, 2012

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

maduin posted:

It's pretty much the same as it is on Windows, which doesn't mean he's wrong when he calls it terrible.

There's a lot of features missing from the Mac version. One example that was a pain in my rear end just yesterday is Excel for Mac's utter lack of XML import.

Of course, in other ways the Mac version is far better. Win some, lose some...

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

CaptainCaveman posted:

Edit: I understand that the option also wasn't necessarily clear, but it also sounds like IMAP isn't what you want to be using.

Actually, IMAP is fine for him. He just needs to make a local mail folder/folders ("on my Mac") and move anything he wants gone from the server over to the local folder(s). I do this all the time with my various IMAP accounts. I use them all on various computers/iPhone/webmail so IMAP is necessary, but once messages are old enough (say, a couple years old) I use Mail on my main computer and just drag them from their IMAP folders to my "Archives" folder on my Mac. No need to even explicitly delete them from the server, since moving them from the IMAP folder does that implicitly. Easy as pie.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

Anyone else use AirServer? Have you been able to stream videos from an iPhone 4S without massive stuttering problems? I sure can't and it's driving me crazy. I have a wireless-N router and have tried it on two different Mac Minis and my Mac Pro.

Apple, get off your asses and integrate Airplay into Lion...

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

Viktor posted:

Has iCal been improved in 10.8 preview?

More importantly, has Address Book Contacts been redesigned back to its old, sensible 3-pane self, or is it still as ugly and obnoxious to use as the Lion version?

Also, can someone with the beta clarify if the AirPlay support includes having your Mac be on the receiving end? (ie. Can you airplay poo poo from your iPhone/iPad to your Mac? Perhaps it would be a new ability in the "Sharing" system prefs...) I'm assuming no, but keeping my fingers crossed anyway.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

Okay... I've installed the Messages beta but either it's not working properly or I've got the wrong expectations:

I've signed in to the Messages app. If I message my friend John from there, it shows up properly on my iPhone as well. John's replies also properly show up on both my phone and the Mac.

BUT, if I message my friend Bob from my phone, none of the messages to Bob or from Bob show up on the Mac. Only once I've initiated a message from the Mac app as described above it all works as expected though.

Is that how it's supposed to be? It doesn't seem right, since I can't get an iMessage on my Mac fr anyone I haven't already tried to contact from there, which would be stupid.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

japtor posted:

Somewhere in Settings on your iPhone is a caller ID setting for iMessages, I'm guessing it's set to your phone number. For now at least, the way iMessages work is that if they're sent to a phone number, they only go to that phone, whereas if they're sent to an email address (your Apple ID?) they'll go everywhere. So when you message Bob from your phone, your caller ID shows your phone, so his replies go to the phone only. If you change the caller ID to your email, replies should go everywhere.

You are half right. I changed my caller ID to my email address on *day one* ... back when iOS 5 came out (for this very reason). Unfortunately, it seems the iPhone completely ignores your caller ID when doing iPhone -> iPhone messaging (I would guess so that the phone you're messaging has your phone # and can resort to SMS when iMessages are unavailable). As such, every single person I've ever iMessaged is using my phone number despite this setting. Argh!

Why doesn't Apple properly associate the phone number and email addresses on your account so that they all act as one, and any message to one appears everywhere? It's annoying as gently caress.

What's worse is I've since discovered that the iPhone will show two separate threads for the same contact if they contact you using two different "addresses." ie. I've been messaging with John using his phone number, and now he starts messaging with me using his email address; despite the fact that the phone recognizes him as being the same contact it will not consolidate the two conversations (the Mac Messages app is at least smart enough to do this).

iMessages are just a clusterfuck right now. Hopefully this new beta gives Apple an opportunity to wake up and fix that poo poo.

Shmoogy posted:

It might change in the future though, but I think they've been having trouble with mirroring (bananatv/airparrot) so maybe it'll be easier with mountain lion.

Airplay mirroring uses encryption for security purposes... that's why third-party apps have been unable to hook into it.

Also, according to other forums I've been reading, Mountain Lion does not add the ability to Airplay TO your Mac (not surprising, but still disappointing).

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I'm not complaining about the Beta specifically, I'm complaining about the way Apple handles iMessages as a whole.

All of these problems are evident with iPhone -> iPad messaging as well, because they're rooted in the way Apple considers your email address and phone number separate. The multiple-conversations-for-one-contact issue is one that the Mac beta actually does better at than currently released Apple software on the phone.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

DarkJC posted:

I agree iMessage has some issues but this is not true. What most likely happened is that your friends and/or you left open old conversations and continued to use those, which were still tied to phone numbers. If all of your friends and you cleared your conversations and started new ones they would be receiving messages from your email instead (if thats what your caller ID is set to)

Since I set my caller ID to my email before I ever iMessaged anyone, how could that be the case? The reports I've read also jibe with this. But I will try an experiment with my and a friend's phone next time I have a chance. We'll clear each others conversations from both phones and I'll send him an iMessage from my phone and see what the caller ID actually is.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

DarkJC posted:

But if you sent them regular texts before and opened up that same conversation to try then it would still use the phone number.

You are right. I did the test, and here are the results (starting from scratch, no preexisting convos, my caller ID is my email):

1. I iMessage John's email. It shows up coming from my email. His responses go to my email.

2. I iMessage John's phone number. It shows up coming from my email. His responses go to my email.

3. I SMS John. He SMSs me back. I iMessage John. It shows up comin from my phone number. His responses go to my phone number.

I consider the #2 behavior correct re: messaging a phone. Responses should go to my caller ID (what else is it for?). The latter half of #3 should behave the same as #2.

Of course, if they just unified the number/email (or just gave an option to) none of this would be an issue.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

Re: uninstalling Messages, isn't there an "uninstall Messages beta" option under the File menu in Messages? (I'm away from my computer today so I can't check.)

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

gregday posted:

I know this is an unpopular opinion, but has anyone found a defaults plist setting to have a separate Search bar in the Safari 5.2 beta? I am firmly against the "omnibar" because I feel that searching and typing in an explicit URL should be completely separate things. I know I'm a huge sperg for this.

I agree with you.completely, and am also hoping for an answer to this. (Also, for those who have used it [I haven't yet], does it give instant results as you type, and can you at least turn THAT off in the prefs?)

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Did the Safari 5.2 beta change the "remove items from history after" to a year for anyone else? :pwn:

Have the added a "No history" option?

Also, does it trim your history while it's still running? ie. Currently Safari only trims your history when you quit/launch (or when you clear history manually, of course). That means that despite the fact that I have Safari's history setting at the minimum of "After one day," I end up with days and sometimes weeks worth of history because I rarely quit Safari (and I'm lazy/forgetful about doing it manually).

I really should just use a different browser.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

gregday posted:

Or Private Browsing.

I'd rather not have to go through a menu option and confirmation box every time I start up my browser, and I'd definitely not like to have to re-login to SA and every other site I use every time, either.

No, all Safari needs is a "no history" option like every other bloody browser on the planet.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

Mu Zeta posted:

It's easier to just use Firefox or something for porn. Then go back to the clean Safari.

LOL. I already use Firefox for porn actually. Porn has nothing to do with this, I'm just a privacy nut and I have no reason whatsoever to keep my history around. In answer to CaptainCaveman's question, yes, Internet Explorer, Firefox, Opera, Camino, Omniweb, and iCab all allow you to set them to remember no history. Chrome doesn't.

fleshweasel posted:

You need some poo poo that like 1% of users need. To apple that means they can take you or leave you. So use a different browser.

This is a fairly standard feature from other browsers that would require almost no extra coding and absolutely no extra buttons or complexity in the app preferences. Even if only 1% of users (hundreds of thousands of customers) would use it, there's really no excuse for it not being there. I happen to like Safari enough that I'll use it anyway, but I'm not going to stop hoping they come to their senses and fix that poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

coldplay chiptunes posted:

While I agree that it would be trivial to implement, you lose 99% of the functionality of the address bar (omnibar in the new version) by not keeping a history. You're missing out on the experience because you're a weirdo who doesn't want his girlfriend to see he has an OKCupid account.

I use the address bar to (gasp!) enter addresses. Bookmarks-based autocomplete/search is nice too. Adding a shitton of results from my browsing history in there is, to me, detrimental clutter. If you like it, more power to you. I don't, but for some reason Apple decided not to give me a choice.

Neurophonic posted:

If it bothers you that much, you could divert your nerd rage energy into creating an Automator script to purge the history folder every 30 seconds. Or just use it in 'Private Browsing' 24/7 - Safari is better than Chrome for your needs simply because that setting is browser wide rather than per window.

I already explained why private browsing isn't a reasonable solution. It bothers me fairly mildly, or I would have switched to Omniweb or Opera long ago. All this stemmed from a simple question about Safari 5.2; there was no "nerd rage" there. I'm honestly more disturbed about how defensive people are getting on Apple's behalf over the lack of a simple (and common elsewhere) feature in their browser.