Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh
Are any of you experiencing memory leaks in Safari in Lion? I cringe when I go to activity monitor and see Safari Web Contents (just going by memory right now) taking 800+ MB of RAM. Makes my 4 GB seem not enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh

echobucket posted:

Favorite things:
* Resuming of apps. This is killer. Especially when you restart your mac. It logs in so fast and resumes all those silly menubar applications you have running in the background :)
* Launchpad. I know some won't like it, but I've been using my Applications Folder in the dock since forever so this is a welcome improvement on that idea. Also, I love that you put them into iOS style folders and it's not represented by folders on the disk (because sometimes moving apps into real folders on the disk makes upgrades or other things not work quite right).
* Mission Control. I use Expose and spaces constantly, and often I use one and then the other. Now this is one butan for both.

Eh, I feel completely opposite about these ones.

When I reboot my machine, I'm rebooting specifically for a reason—to start everything over in a clean state. I don't want left over programs running when I turn it back on.

On a related note, I really don't like this new save state feature. Sometimes I open up TextEdit to write down a few notes real quick and then close the program when I'm note with the notes (don't need them anymore). Two days later when I open TextEdit again I don't want my unsaved scratchpad to pop up. This just has the potential to be really embarrassing or whatever.

On yet another related note, save states are kind of buggy still, I think. Right now my Preview app shows 10 PDFs minimized. I can expose down and select them and they maximize, but I can't close them. They just reminimize. I've tried delete my save states folder in ~/Library. I already have save states disabled in system settings because I hate it so much. I've rebooted. Nope, Preview still shows 10 PDFs just minimized there, hanging out.

Launchpad—I start all my apps from Spotlight so I've never even as much as looked at Launchpad. I think I disabled the mouse gesture to get to it too.

Mission Control—I used Expose and Spaces a lot in SL, but I just don't like Mission Control. Worse yet, they've completely neutered Expose. When I try to use Expose now, it only shows me the windows of the currently focused app which is completely stupid. Right now I have Safari open, and two Terminal windows behind it. In SL, I would just Expose, and then click on the Terminal window I want. Now, in Lion, when I use Expose, it only shows me the current Safari window I have that's already taking up most of my screen. Ah, but I can just use Mission Control you say. OK, I bring up MC and I don't see the Terminal window I'm looking for. I know it's there, but where is it? Oh, I minimized it, and MC doesn't show minimized windows.

I just want my old Expose functionality back.

I've also noticed that sometimes (like in Preview), when I do cmd+w to close a PDF, if it's the only PDF I have open then the entire program just quits as if I did cmd+q. It's inconsistent and random and I don't like it either.

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Welcome to the brave new world of sandboxing.

StainlessBanner posted:

I'm seeing 736 MB of RAM being used by Safari Web Content. In comparison, Firefox is using 248 MB.

Edit: I'm on a Mid-2011 27" Intel Core i5 iMac with 12 GB of RAM so I'm not too concerned, but still confirming that it's not just you.

I still don't get why the increase is so dramatic from SL though. Right now with Safari running just three tabs, Safari + Safari Web Content takes up a combined 970 MB of RAM. I imagine people with 12 GB of RAM don't care but I don't have 12 GB of RAM :(.

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh
Also, my internet keeps dropping every few hours for 5-10 seconds. It's really annoying and has never happened prior to 10.7.

I'm really hoping these are all bugs that get fixed when Lion officially comes out.

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh

CrackTsunami posted:

From Twitter:
http://twitter.com/!/akulbe/status/93671370533244929
The build number for the MAS release of Lion is 11A494. The GM seed is newer.

Does this mean people with GM installed don't need to reinstall Lion, they cab just pay for it and not even bother downloading?

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh

Groan Zone posted:

Is there any way to do an archive and install? Customize option is grayed out for my drive.

I liked customized installs in SL because then I could choose to not install printer drivers, languages, etc, and choose to install dev tools and Xcode.

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh
So, in Preview, how do I close these?

Selecting them and closing them doesn't work. They just reappear down there. Closing Preview doesn't work. They show up again. Rebooting doesn't work.

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh

This is me trying to install the newest version of Xcode from the App Store. It's telling me to close iTunes but iTunes was never open to begin with. What do I do?

error1 posted:

The new Safari version is probably awesome enough to make me switch back from Chrome, full screen browsing and swiping two fingers left and right to navigate pages is implemented really well.

You realize that in SL you could swipe three fingers left and right for the same functionality right?

Molten Llama posted:

They're not open. They're recent documents. (Note they're displayed as documents, not windows.)

It's a new feature of Lion. You can also see this in action in TextEdit. If you want to see your minimized windows instead of recent documents, sucks to be you.

Well whatever is it, I want them gone. How do I get rid of them?

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh
Homebrew vs Fink vs MacPorts

Which one do you guys prefer and why?

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh

Bret Hart posted:

Anyone know why I get these wacky dropdown arrows at the top?

How did you get your sidebar to throw movies, music, etc, under media?

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh
Am I just remembering wrong or was there a way to disable Safari from opening PDFs in SL? I don't want PDFs to display in Safari. I want them to open in Preview.

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh

Oneiros posted:

To avoid resuming everything that was running when you last logged off just toggle the checkbox in the logoff/shutdown confirmation window.

I think he's asking (or at least I am now) if there's a way to default this box to no.

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh
I downloaded a Windows 7 iso file from my university through MSDNAA and I have no idea how to burn it with Disk Utilities in order to install it. I right clicked the iso file and selected "Burn…" and then went through Boot Camp and partitioned my hard drive for Windows. Now I'm at the screen where it tells me to insert the Windows installation disk and press the "start installation" button. I press it but it tells me the windows installer was not found.

I've also tried mounting the iso and burning the contents, but I get this screen:

And I don't know what to choose.

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh

Hmm, that seemed to do the trick.

Two more questions:

Why are my signatures so big when I send mail from Mail? I didn't notice it until a friend asked me why I made my font for my signature so big compared to my messages. It doesn't look this way in Mail, but does in Gmail (as shown below). Is it just a problem with Gmail?

Also, my keyboard shortcut (cmd+\) for 1Password in Safari seems to have broken. It still works in Chrome though. How do I bring it back?

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh

unruly posted:

Update 1Password, there was a fix/update for the Safari plugin. If that doesn't immediately work, remove it in the prefs, then re-add it.

Updated 1Password, didn't fix it. Removed the Safari extension and reinstalled it. Still no dice :(.

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh

japtor posted:

If you click on the signature field (so you can edit it), can you bring up the font panel (cmd-T) to manually resize it?

It shows that my signature is the default (Helvetica 12) as the same font/size in a new mail window :(

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh

Radnor posted:

I did and it was easy. Boot Camp Assistant had me burn a Windows driver CD, then it made a partition and installed Windows 7 on it. Painless!

The Lion drive shows up in Windows but I cannot see any recovery partition.

You also have the option of putting it on a flash drive, cause that's what I did last week.

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh

SimpleCoax posted:

Well, I just found out that Lion and Xcode 4.1 completely remove MPI. Hope macports will get me OpenMPI back easily enough. I'm getting really concerned about Apple's idea for the future of its professional user base. Not just with this little MPI removal, but the other signs that they're shifting focus. I don't want to have to wind up stuck with just Linux down the road.

Why in the world would they do that?

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh

Is there a way to make the flag black/white like all my other icons? I know a lot of flags look similar which could get confusing but I only have two input languages.

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh
I installed Bootcamp/Windows 7 and now it seems my MBP defaults to booting into Windows. Is there a setting I need to change or something?

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh
What was the free uninstaller app that people recommended before again?

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh
Quick command line/scripting question for you guys, according to this I can adjust the volume via the shell with:

osascript -e "set Volume X"

Where X ranges from 0 to 10 (though some of the comments suggest different maximum values, and one flat out states this command is depreciated).

This is useful for when I'm in the other side of my room/the other room and want to play music through my MBP with my iPhone's Remote app and want to change the volume (I know I can change the volume in the Remote app but the problem is I usually have the volume on my MBP set down way low). I want to make/copy a script so that I can log onto my MBP via Prompt on my iPhone and issue a command of something like

louder

or

quieter

Which would first find what X is, then (for louder) enter the command "osascript -e "set Volume X+0.5"

It doesn't seem like it would be too difficult to do but I'm quite busy at the moment so I can't really look into it. Has anyone one else done something similar (or alternatively is there a different way to do this)?

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh
Ah, cool. This is what I ended up doing if anyone is interested.

quote:

# Control volume from my iPhone!

alias louder='vol=`osascript -e "output volume of (get volume settings)"`; osascript -e "set volume output volume $vol+5"'

alias softer='vol=`osascript -e "output volume of (get volume settings)"`; osascript -e "set volume output volume $vol-5"'

Just throw that in your bashrc (or whichever other file is appropriate for you).

I feel like I'm in the future right now. MBP sitting on the other side of the room on my desk. Want music playing in iTunes? OK, open Remote on my iPhone… but iTunes isn't open so I can't connect to it. No matter, this can be fixed. Open up Prompt and type "open /Applications/iTunes.app" and bam, iTunes is now open and I can use Remote to play music. But wait, it's too quiet. Now I can go back into Prompt and type louder/softer. All the while I edited bashrc and typed this post on my iPad.

:smug:

I guess I could have just walked over and done this in one second but future man.

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh
Can I disable the fullscreen animation and just make it instant?

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh

Oddx posted:

10.7.1 is out.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4764

quote:

Improve the reliability of Wi-Fi connections.

Cool, maybe now my wifi won't drop every 5 minutes.

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh

Wait, what, why? This is a fresh install of Lion. Microsoft Office has never touched it.

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh
I'm looking for a way to do one-way syncs from Address Book to Google Contacts maybe once a week or so (my address book doesn't change that often). What's my best option?

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh

CaptainCaveman posted:

Does it need to be one way? You can set up sync with Google pretty easily, but it's an actual sync, not a one way overwrite.

Yes, because I have photos set to all of my normally contacted people and unless Google changed something, syncing contacts with photos to Google resizes and basically destroys all semblances of image quality.

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh
I'd use full screen more if it didn't have that annoyingly slow animation. Is there a way to turn it off so that it full screens instantly?

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh
Well I just found out the ls included in OS X isn't the GNU version which is why the option --color=auto doesn't work. And it seems the only way to install the GNU version is macports which I heard sucks. Is there another way to get it, or perhaps even a workaround to --color=auto?

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh

dazjw posted:

How does 'ls -G' work for you? Otherwise, Homebrew probably has it in a package somewhere, or you could just compile up your own.

strokevictim posted:

Ziir, read the man page for ls, it will point you in the right direction if you need to tweak things.

Bob Morales posted:

alias ls='ls -G'

Thanks guys. I wanted to go with gnu ls cause I wanted to just make one bashrc file I could throw on all my computers, but I just ended up writing an 'if osx then alias=ls -G' instead of --color=auto which seems much easier and more universal (if I were to get a new Mac for example).

On an unrelated note, has anyone noticed that switching spaces with ctrl+arrow or four finger swipe is a hell of a lot slower than switching with ctrl+number (which randomly decides to not work)?

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh

Haggins posted:

]To celebrate their entry into the app store Agile Bits is selling 1Password for $20, which is half off the normal price. This is one mac app I couldn't live without and I highly recommend checking out if you've never heard of it. My favorite feature is that it has a complementary iPhone app that syncs your passwords and stores them securely on your iPhone.

Also pro-tip I learned not too long ago: The hotkey to automatically log into web pages is "CMD \" .

What do I do if I already have 1Password? I just tried to update and it won't let me go past 3.8.5.

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh
Is it possible to mount an external USB harddrive that's plugged/mounted onto another computer (Linux) on my network?

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh
When I'm using Preview in full screen mode to view PDFs and switch pages, a little popup comes up saying "Page X of Y" for a few seconds. Can I make this popup never show up? It's distracting at best, and just plain annoying.

e: Actually, it seems there's two ways to enter full-screen and they're not the same :psyduck:

Pressing the fullscreen button in the top right fullscreens it and gives it its own space, like it's suppose to. But now changing pages gives that annoying 'Page X of Y' popup and there's a stupid animation to the page changes. It also gives you access to 3 finger swipe left/right to change pages.

However, pressing cmd+shift+f ALSO fullscreens it, giving it it's own space too. But now 3 finger swipe is gone, but you can still change the pages with the left/right arrows. Page changes are now instantaneous and there's no annoying 'Page X of Y' popup.

… it really doesn't seem like there should be a difference here and it just seems like Apple didn't do much testing on this whole fullscreen mode at all.

Ziir fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Sep 11, 2011

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh
Can I ask if they've fixed this stupid full-screen mode takeover all monitors oversight in the beta versions of Lion yet?

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh
I have some lectures in flash/swf format. Whats the best way to convert these to a format that I can throw on my iPad?

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh
Does anyone use Papers2? I'm using the trial and I'm trying to move my library over to my home folder (~/Papers/[Papers2]) but I can't seem to do it. Their FAQ says to quit Papers2 and mv the folder, then start it again and it should tell me to locate my new folder, except all it does is create a brand new folder in the old ~/Library folder. It also won't let me change it in the preferences.

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh

Ziir posted:

Does anyone use Papers2? I'm using the trial and I'm trying to move my library over to my home folder (~/Papers/[Papers2]) but I can't seem to do it. Their FAQ says to quit Papers2 and mv the folder, then start it again and it should tell me to locate my new folder, except all it does is create a brand new folder in the old ~/Library folder. It also won't let me change it in the preferences.

Figured it out. I had to copy the library folder to where I wanted it to go, and then start Papers2 and tell it the path to where I copied it. (Kind of unintuitive. One would assume that it would just create the library files for you when you choose a folder where they don't exist.)

Anyway, I really like the simpleness of the default folder icons in the home folder (you know, the default Movies/Music/Pictures/etc) icons). Are there any more out there, fan created even, that look identical in style?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh
I want to have a 1-button thing in my menu bar that turns on and off a SOCKS proxy. Is this possible?