Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

When Time Machine is backing up, I get a rotating arrow icon randomly bleeding through whatever application I'm looking at. I can reproduce it at will by forcing a Time Machine "Back Up Now". While this screenshot is of Firefox, it will display on any application I try.

Is there any way to disable this? It's kind of distracting even if it's only up for a few seconds an hour on a typical incremental backup.

I can swear that this never happened until a few days ago, but maybe I've just noticed it for the first time?

e: I'd even just be curious if anyone else who runs Time Machine sees this -- I couldn't find a whole lot on Google.

Pakistani Brad Pitt fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Dec 31, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

TACD posted:

That's weird as balls and shouldn't be happening at all. It persists after a reboot?

All I can think of is if maybe there's an application running but not having the window drawn properly that's causing some weird graphical thing like that. Maybe try clearing your saved application state folder?

:doh: I probably should have tried a reboot before posting. This is my first Mac and I have to reboot so rarely compared to Windows that I didn't even think of it. That indeed solved the problem, so I'll chalk it up to a random application causing strange draw issues. Thanks for the help!

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

In OSX Activity Monitor, what is the interval that "page ins" and "page outs" is counted over? Like, if my machine says 3GB of page outs, is that from the last reboot, last launch of Activity Monitor, lifetime of the machine, what?

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I believe it's this user session, so in most cases since you booted the machine up.

Ok, that makes me feel a bit better. I've been toying around with a Parallels Win7 VM on a 2010 Air, and I noticed my page outs were almost 40GB, but checking my uptime it's been 50 days since my last reboot, so maybe that's a bit less alarming over that interval. (though I do have literally 25MB free...)

I'll have to reboot and see how quickly that number grows in my normal VM+OS X usage.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

How much memory are you giving the virtual machine?

Any of the major web browsers will grow to huge memory sizes over 50 days (even over just a few days) if you don't quit them once in a while.

I use Firefox, so I know that well - but I don't think it's the issue as all was well until I started toying with Parallels.

It's a 4GB RAM air, and I gave the VM 1.3something GB of RAM (random, I know). All it's doing is running Windows Update and installing things, and I'm maxed out on RAM usage in the Mac OS. Actually, Activity monitor RAM usage doesn't seem to add up for me. Parallels is using 1.39GB, the Kernel 600, and Firefox maybe 300. I'm too lazy to add up all the processes using 40MB and under, but I really doubt they add up to 1,500 more MB.

e: On the plus side, other than the blazing fan, this machine is nothing but responsive despite the resources situation. I probably wouldn't know it was so dire if I didn't know where to look. Plus, I get the adage that free RAM is wasted RAM, so I don't mind seeing a lot in use, although having literally 2 digits free with so few applications open is a little concerning. I guess so long as it shuffles it around when I open more...

But yeah I really just want to make sure I'm not paging 50GB a day in this use case just for the sake of the poor solid state drive in this thing.

Pakistani Brad Pitt fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Jul 6, 2012

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

I'd bump the VM down to an even 1GB. You won't hurt the drive.

How much of that memory is 'inactive'?

There is roughly 500MB 'inactive', which is like recently closed OS X apps, right? Maybe that makes up for the odd count I was seeing. What's weird is that it still pages to disk rather than claiming that inactive memory. I thought paging was supposed to be a last resort of sorts, memory wise.

I'll bump the VM down to 1024MB once I'm done with all the Windows Updating as I think it's good advice -- I don't think my workflow in this VM will benefit from the extra 300 MB and it would be nice to see that as free/inactive memory for the Mac.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

I'd bump the VM down to an even 1GB. You won't hurt the drive.

How much of that memory is 'inactive'?

Just thought I'd respond again and say that this plus what was probably a needed reboot after 50 days, plus my brand new Win7 VM finally finishing all of its background compilation of .NET stuff means that I'm running without trouble at this point, so thanks for the advice.

I mean it's not perfect -- it's a 2010 Air and you can only stretch a Core2 chip and 4GB so far -- but at least now I have a few hundred MB of free RAM with all of my usual applications open and I'm not paging so much.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

In Activity Monitor > Disk Activity tab, there are "Data Read" and "Data Written" values listed. What is the time frame for these values? Since last reboot? Lifetime of the machine? Something else? Same for the data transfer stats on the Network tab -- it seems kind of useless to tell me I've pushed 30GB over the network without a reference to the time period in which that occurred.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

So Google killed (or is killing) the simple Google Notifier that has sat in my menu bar quietly lighting up when I have email for the last ~4 years. Does anyone know of a replacement that can sit in my menu bar and notify me when I have mail without doing a bunch of other unrelated poo poo?

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Looks perfect, thanks!

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Anyone else use both BetterTouchTool and Parallels? I've been using this combo for years and never had any trouble with Win7-style snapping on my VM Windows, but today I needed to upgrade to Parallels 10, and my Win7 snapping has broken only for Parallels windows. Everything else (like this Firefox window) can be snapped OK.

It's pretty obvious that my upgrade broke it; I'm just curious if anyone has any solution for this as Googling was not yielding much.

Pakistani Brad Pitt fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Feb 12, 2015

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

flosofl posted:

Parallels has really screwed the pooch these last couple updates. Fortunately Fusion has pretty much made up ground over the last 5 years or so and runs as good if not better than Parallels. Come join me in the Dark Side.

Or we can start a holy war at the level of "vi vs. emacs". Either is cool.

Yeah I don't have a major preference to be honest.

I work on Windows software so my only use for these VMs is as isolated sandboxes to see how our applications behave on various versions of Windows. I don't use any of the integration features at all and in fact don't want Windows links polluting my nice OSX environment or vice-versa. I just started using Parallels since VirtualBox was so prone to snapshot corruption -- I'd literally load up a snapshot that worked fine at 4pm Thursday and it would poo poo the bed with some cryptic error at 8am on Friday.

This is a fairly minor annoyance (having to manually resize VM windows that I previously used BetterTouchTool to tile), but if they continue down the path of breaking my workflow, I'll absolutely check out VMWare.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

I use regular scrolling, turn autocorrect off, and run Firefox with a bunch of extensions to make it less like Chrome, battery life be damned. I also fight against iCloud because I don't really want to pay a bunch of subscriptions for stuff I can store locally.

I really have no interest in Siri or most of the bullshit they've added to the OS in recent years minus under the hood security updates and battery life improvements (which I'm just assuming go on, I have no idea tbh). I really do love the hardware though. Hopefully there will be somewhere for me to go if they really lock this poo poo down iOS style.

I'm old.

(do like dropbox tho, that's neat)

Pakistani Brad Pitt fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jun 15, 2016

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

flavor posted:

Let's just say I'm about as funny as a survey of the minutiae of how every last goon and their extended friends and family networks are scrolling between OS X and Windows is in the year 2016, six years after natural scrolling became a thing in 2010 when OS X Lion introduced it. It's completely inconsequential since it's a personal preference and can be set either way in the System Preferences.

I'm using the default scrolling methods on Windows and OS X. I have to specifically be reminded of their differences in scrolling, otherwise I haven't noticed them in years. I know some other people relatively close to me who also use natural scrolling. I have to admit that I haven't polled some other people I know, but I'll be sure to do that and I'll definitely get back to you with the results.

I wanted to ask another question of tremendous import: Do you have "Play feedback when volume is changed" on or off? I like to have it on so I know the output that I'm using is working. What do you think?

Ah yes, discussion on an internet forum, shocking!

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

flavor posted:

Some things are not really discussions, just polls without people giving any rationales. What's the utility of knowing that X out of Y people on internet forum Z prefer to have A set to B? Does it make you feel like you need to do the same thing? If not, what do you get out of it? I'm honestly curious.

Not that I need to do it, but that I might want to, or not want to, do it that way for reasons I hadn't considered.

I've gotten lots of workflow ideas out of this thread because of people posting about how software or setting X sucks/is awesome/indispensable. Especially when I was a new Mac user, being able to learn about Command+Space, or BetterTouchTool, or Invert Colors really changed my use of the system for the better.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

I'd much rather pay $60 up front than get charged $5/mo for Yet Another Subscription until the end of time.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

iOS thread is in Inspect Your Gadgets

That said, my phone has done this since the last major OS version :(
Auto fetch is unreliable as poo poo

Just adding in that my phone(s) have been doing this for years - I would love to be able to trust it to auto fetch Gmail but it's buggy as poo poo.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Bill Barber posted:

Please don't browse imgur.

Imgur to me is a site that only exists to host images for free with poo poo like Right-Click>'Upload to Imgur' browser/OS Extensions. It bewilders me that it has a 'community' or any other features, or makes money at all. God bless those people who subsidize my image hosting and linking site. I feel the same way about YouTube, too.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

flosofl posted:

Give it try, but my understanding was user-mode programs have no access to /usr at all.

It gets even better, in 10.12 I hear Apple is removing the option to disable SIP altogether.

Is this going to gently caress over TotalFinder? I just want a Finder setting so that I can have a Folders-on-top sort, goddamnit

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Is there any way to change the location on the screen where Notifications appear? Right now they all appear in the top right for me, blocking buttons I need to use in my browser when I'm going to click on something and then someone Skype/Slack messages me.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

wolffenstein posted:

Most likely. I personally wouldn't trust software like that to be using effective encryption and to be supported for years to come. Use a password manager, use two factor authentication (but not SMS), and don't put documents on Dropbox unless you don't have a problem with others possibly seeing it.

What's wrong with SMS as a two factor authentication option? Is it insecure for Google to text me "your verification code is G-1234567?"

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

I'm not seeing Sierra in the App Store > Check for Updates. Do they stagger the release at all? Running El Capitan on an otherwise fully updated 2013 rMBP.

As for VMs, I'm perfectly happy with Parallels, though my use case is testing Windows desktop software so I've completely sandboxed the VMs except for a Dropbox folder that I use to exchange files between the VM and the host Mac. For that purpose it works very well, can't speak to any of the convergence features that they seem to be mostly pushing.

I can't imagine wanting to run Windows software seamlessly on my Mac outside of a sandbox, it seems like it would be a security hole and a source of weird issues from the black magic they are doing to accomplish that, but maybe I'm wrong.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

computer parts posted:

It's not technically an update, it's a new piece of software (so it's in the store).

Ah, there it is, thanks.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Omg they added a "Folders on Top" option to Finder. This means I can re-enable SIP and uninstall Total Finder! This should have been on the list way before any Siri or iCloud bullshit, best Mac OS update ever.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

I have an SD card inserted in my Mac. It shows up in Finder just fine, but I want to access it from Terminal. How can I find where it is located so I can cd into it and manipulate files?

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Pakistani Brad Pitt posted:

I have an SD card inserted in my Mac. It shows up in Finder just fine, but I want to access it from Terminal. How can I find where it is located so I can cd into it and manipulate files?

Answering my own question since I finally sorted this out on Google -- it's in /Volumes

Pivo posted:

It'd be under /Volumes once it mounts.

Hint: You can drag from Finder onto the Terminal to insert a path.

e: fb -- Also mind blown with the drag & drop tip.

Pakistani Brad Pitt fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Jun 20, 2017

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

I was indeed playing with a Raspberry Pi, but in this instance just needed access to the card to create some files to ensure a headless boot+wifi connection. I suppose I could go about creating text files through finder, but I'm much more comfortable on the command line (except for that whole part where I couldn't find where my SD card was mounted) :downs:

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Figured I'd ask here just in case any of you have seen this error before. I'm not expecting much since internet research into the question yields a zillion dead end discussions.apple.com threads:

I get this message every few months for the last year or two on my rMBP, at which point my only option seems to be a full new backup (which is a giant pain with ~300 GB over WiFi), and it blows up all the previous backups, so I've basically written off ever using the historical backup features of Time Machine anymore since those are lost on each new full backup. On top of that I'm exposed to the potential for catastrophic failure until the giant new backup is completed. Luckily have not been burned yet.

This is all using a Time Capsule as the backup drive, so not some funky unsupported NAS situation, 1st party hardware on both ends. Apple's documentation says that the Time Capsule runs a file system check on every bootup, and I've never had it explicitly tell me that it thought the drive was failing or anything like that (I'm not sure how it would?)

Pakistani Brad Pitt fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Jul 6, 2017

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

wolffenstein posted:

That isn't limited specifically to Time Capsules. The current file system for OS X, HFS+, has several well documented problems that Time Machine exacerbates. This is why Apple is working on Apple File System in the High Sierra beta. I haven't heard anything in regards to AFS on Time Capsules however.

This is reminder that while one backup system is good, the best backup plan involves multiple solutions independent of each other.

Cool, yeah I'm super interested to see if the new file system resolves this without my needing to buy a new Time Capsule.

Point heard about proper backup, for the most part my really important poo poo (which for me is tiny in size, I don't really have a lot of critical photos/video) has other backup venues, if I lose this time capsule its mostly going to be stuff I won't die over, like a collection of mp3s dating to the Napster era, or random save games/funny gifs I grabbed from the forum.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

maskenfreiheit posted:

sounds promising

maybe i'll have to abandon vi after all :)

Good News!

https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/Evil

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Tippis posted:

I have run across that neat little problem where Time Machine silently fails half-way through its backup because it (apparently) encounters something it cannot handle, and also have no way of explaining.

It it just keeps backing up the same 800MB over and over, failing at the same point, and saying that the last backup was a week ago. No amount of forcing will get it to actually complete, and I have no way of knowing what its problem is because it's a user-friendly product that tells the user nothing.

So, is there a way to figure out exactly where it fails? I've seen scattered reports that it's fairly common but everyone seems to get stuck on that detail — if they can somehow get rid of the offending part of the file system, it works fine; if not, it's nuke-and-start-over time. I've tried to make sense of the console, but it's just too messy to let me find anything without guidance.

…and now it's in the right thread, even.

Is it this error by any chance? For a while I was getting this every few months though it's blessedly been 6+ since the last one nuked my backups with no recourse:

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

crazysim posted:

I think TeamViewer allows sharing an iOS screen now too.

Some might be concerned about security here. If it's just Ad-Hoc, not leave a server running it usage, it's OK.

How are you running TeamViewer without leaving it running 24/7 so you can access that computer from outside the house?

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

I'm reading in news articles (and here: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208394) that there is a 'mitigation' for these new CPU exploits in 10.13.2, but the App Store app doesn't see any new updates, and it looks like my last 10.13.2 update hasn't been since Dec 15. Do I have to manually apply this patch somehow?

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

I see, thanks all -- I didn't realize the exploit was known (at least privately in the industry) for 6 months. Just got caught up in the media hysteria

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

I'm not sure what the triggering event is, but I mark up a lot of images using Preview.app, so I have that as my default application when opening most image types. Every week or so, the default association for .png and .jpg extensions reverts to Grab.app. (maybe other image types, but I don't really use any others regularly to know). Any idea what could be causing this? I know how to set 'Always open with' so it's not that (and I do that every time and the OS fails to respect it some days later).

I suppose I could just delete Grab.app since I never use it but it doesn't seem like I should have to, and I'm starting to worry that I have malware or something, but it seems pretty innocuous to just be resetting some default application behavior.

e: It's legit this guy's exact behavior (no answer at that link). https://superuser.com/questions/1290394/on-mac-file-association-for-image-files-keeps-changing-to-grab-when-i-want-pre

The problem is otherwise not turning up much on Google.

Pakistani Brad Pitt fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Mar 20, 2018

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Nude posted:

Did some digging for you (searched photoshop instead of preview :v:), and one suggestion is to delete /Users/Your Name/Library/Preferences/com.apple.finder.plist. Then reset the computer (this will generate a new plist). I've deleted finder.plist personally for a different problem so I can assure you it won't mess up your computer. But if you're worried you can always drag com.apple.finder.plist to your desktop or something, restart the computer and if a week or so the problem still happens drag the old finder.plist back.

Appreciate it, I've tried this just now and will report back

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

I use Parallels to do some software testing on Windows, and honestly it seems overkill for my needs (I don't want Windows software making GBS threads up my dock or trying to seamlessly integrate with my MacOS environment, I just want sandboxed Windows containers that I can reset with ease.). It works great performance wise on my 2013 15" rMBP (generally 2-3 VMs at once with 16GB RAM).

Only thing that sucks is they will try to rope you into paying yearly for updates -- I say just buy once every 3-4 years and get all the updates.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

AlternateAccount posted:

Why in the poo poo will Safari not let me enable Extensions all of a sudden? The develop menu shows DISABLE EXTENSIONS as checked, but refuses to uncheck it. WTF?

I've not run into it, but this sounds like your issue and has a solution: https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/320923/cant-uncheck-disable-extensions-in-safari-develop-menu

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

When Apple arbitrarily drops older hardware from the newest MacOS, do they continue to provide security updates on the slightly older MacOS?

Just curious if ended support would mean missing out on stuff like new Finder or Mail.app features (too bad but livable), or if it’s a “gently caress you your machine is vulnerable” situation like when Microsoft EOLs an OS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

'oi govna! Looks like your face needs a REDESIGN!